Thai Buddhists pray? Why? To whom?

fang37

If a religion claim their god can take anyone's life claiming that it's love, I can't accept it too.

So I guess that only leaves Buddhism. wai2.gif
Chinese religions and Hinduism may not be wrong too. They have nothing debunked by science or defied logic too. They don't claim their gods are almighty or take their followers or anyone's lives.

One of the reasons I find Buddhism acceptable for me is that Buddhists don't pray to a made up entity. Buddhists who pray to an object or for an outcome to me are not Buddhists in the way I understand it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you are right. Buddhists are not taught to pray for anything. They pray to respect and remember. Only the ignorants pray to any god for help but then, again it boils down to the nature and origin of the religion too. If the religion teach their followers to pray and pay more than needed, it's bad.

For me, I find Buddhism acceptable because they have no elements of cheating or misleading followers, never advocates violence or killing, reasonable and logical, unlike other religions.

Yes, you are right. Buddhists are not taught to pray for anything. They pray to respect and remember. Only the ignorants pray to any god for help but then, again it boils down to the nature and origin of the religion too. If the religion teach their followers to pray and pay more than needed, it's bad.

For me, I find Buddhism acceptable because they have no elements of cheating or misleading followers, never advocates violence or killing, reasonable and logical, unlike other religions.

many buddhist monks cheat and mislead followers. many buddhist monks advocate violence. just like some christian, muslim and hindu holy men do.

many buddhist monks cheat and mislead followers. many buddhist monks advocate violence. just like some christian, muslim and hindu holy men do.
Many but not the original Buddhism or Hinduism teachings.

The Christians and Muslims used violence because their holy books encouraging it.

There are no religious wars from Buddhism, only Crusades and Holy wars by the Christians and Muslims.

The Christians and Muslims used violence because their holy books encouraging it.

There are no religious wars from Buddhism, only Crusades and Holy wars by the Christians and Muslims.

the teachings of christ did not encourage violence. and if you think Hindus havent engaged in holy war, you have some research to do

the teachings of christ did not encourage violence. and if you think Hindus havent engaged in holy war, you have some research to do

That's how cunning Christianity can be. Don't forget Jesus was punished for a serious crime in order to be crucified.

Jesus also never encouraged his followers to cheat money, I presume. See what tricks and how all the churches in the world collect money ?

Why the little confession room ? You know trick ?

This constant denigration of other religions is getting tiresome and certainly not something a true Buddhist would engage in. I'm out!

How else can I help the Christians beside telling them the truth ? If they don't believe, it doesn't matter, if they believe, it helps them.

This is a noble act according to Buddhism.

• 4 weeks later...

As for me, I am am retired Christian yet every time I open a bottle of whisky I offer the first capful to the spirits of the land where we live as a token of thanks.

Would you call that praying? If so, what religeon would you call it?

I could get behind this, a glass of whisky and a toast to the powers that may be until I read the last part about you pouring good whisky into the soil. No true god would command that!

This constant denigration of other religions is getting tiresome and certainly not something a true Buddhist would engage in. I'm out!

How else can I help the Christians beside telling them the truth ? If they don't believe, it doesn't matter, if they believe, it helps them.

This is a noble act according to Buddhism.

Well the simple fact is that you're clearly not a Buddhist.

Just as a Christian is not meant to hate, neither is a Buddhist.

A person should be free to pray to whatever god they believe in, it's certainly not "ignorant" if someone believes in prayer rather than meditation (which science has shown both have the same calming effect on the brain).

Practice what you preach. You sound like those intolerant Christian fundamentalists that you talk so much of. You talk of the Crusades not realizing that they were really political in nature just like most wars. Your hatred is based on misunderstanding. It's like me claiming I'm a pacifist whilst bashing someone's skull in. I can claim something of myself as much as I like but unless I fulfil the description through my actions then my claims mean nothing, likewise your self-claimed adherence to Buddhism means nothing when you are so intolerant towards other religions.

It's one thing to claim to be a Buddhist and another thing to practice. You've yet to reach enlightenment or follow any path of the Buddha when you are so dedicated to your petty crusade against Christianity because of the actions of a few bad Christians. Should we hate Buddhism because there's bad Buddhists too? I think you have a long way to go in understanding what Buddha taught. You need to cast aside these grudges of yours.

Archived