Thai Buddhists pray? Why? To whom?

fang37

Me and the "Church" have never really had an understanding. When I was 12 (54 years ago), I was pretty much kicked out of Catholic school for refusing to give up my belief that there is other intelligent life in the multitude of galaxies. The priests accused my parents of raising a "heretic". At 16, I was asked to leave the Methodist church when I questioned the existence of God, and the belief that only through Jesus could we get into Heaven, by daring a minister to tell me what happens to people, such as tribes in the Amazon Jungle who never heard of God or Jesus.

It took me the better part of 6 years to convince my Thai, Buddhist, wife that Buddha was NOT a god, but only a man, and one who specifically told his followers NOT to pray to him, and not to build images of him. So now she's a converted "Christian", and taking that to the extreme. facepalm.gif

I don't pray, but at times of stress, I do meditate, and it has nothing to do with any religion or belief in a "higher being". It's a practice of shutting down my mind, and all thoughts, and finding peace and calm within myself.

I have no problem with people and their religions. Each is entitled to believe what they want. But the religious faction can't seem to accept my beliefs. So be it.

so long as you haven't been kicked out of the pub....all's goodthumbsup.gif

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christians pray to an invisible God, as do Moslems.

What difference does it make what religeon you are as long as YOU believe and don't interfere with other religeons.

My wife and son rarely pray and they are nominally Buddhist.

As for me, I am am retired Christian yet every time I open a bottle of whisky I offer the first capful to the spirits of the land where we live as a token of thanks.

Would you call that praying? If so, what religeon would you call it?

I think the point is that Christians, Muslims, etc. have a God albeit imaginery. Buddha was not a God, nor did he promote any Deity and suggest people pray to it.

But Buddha has been turned into a God like figure by the people who live their lives by his teachings. I think if it gives people hope, security, or whatever from following something or someone then I say good on them as long as it doesn't interfere with other peoples lives

What difference does it make what religeon you are as long as YOU believe and don't interfere with other religeons.

As for me, I am am retired Christian yet every time I open a bottle of whisky I offer the first capful to the spirits of the land where we live as a token of thanks.

I think the point is that Christians, Muslims, etc. have a God albeit imaginery. Buddha was not a God, nor did he promote any Deity and suggest people pray to it.

But Buddha has been turned into a God like figure by the people who live their lives by his teachings. I think if it gives people hope, security, or whatever from following something or someone then I say good on them as long as it doesn't interfere with other peoples lives

But it always does.

Sounds more like superstition than religion. But then again...all religions are superstitions! vampire.gif

Thais are extremely superstitious. They believe in ghosts/spirits...thus the spirit houses on every corner and outside many establishments. Nearly every Thai movie and TV show have a ghost(s) in them. Every girl I've known is hilariously afraid of ghosts. Usually they are just seeking approval and protection from the ghosts/spirits. vampire.gif

"It serves to both validate our actions and seek wisdom from others."

If it's wisdom you seek, speak to an atheist.

" Pagan - a benighted creature who worships what he sees and feels" (Ambrose Bierce).

I have observed Thais pray - particularly women.

Each night, they get into bed, kneel & do it.

Incidentally, I see Thai women, in the main, more at peace, less materialistic & sleep like babies.

Is there a correlation?

Thai people learn a different version of Buddhism than the Thai monks. Especially those who follow the teachings of Buddadassa from Wat Suan Mokkhe. Those Thais that do not learn or practice meditation do not really understand Buddhism. Some Thais believe that Buddha was born and walked minutes after birth and fought the giant in the jungle. Those who have studied the Pali texts, have learned a far deeper meaning of Buddha's life. Without the practice of silent meditation, the mind is confused and the simple truths of nature are hidden under layers of noise and confusion. Meditation is a difficult thing to learn as it requires a strict discipline of avoiding noise and getting close to nature. Once one has achieved this process, a transformation occurs and certain truths can be learmed. For me it took 5 days of silence to learn this natural process called meditation and those first 5 days were the most difficult experience of my life. However on day 5 there was a break though and a peace and calm entered me and the next 5 days of silence were a treasure of a learning experience. This has absolutely nothing to do with Gods or religion. Once this process of meditation has been learned it cannot be forgotton. However it takes discipline to keep up the practice. There are many Thais who practice meditation and they are the true Buddhists. But there are too many Thais who go to the temple purely for the ceremony and they do not take the time to learn the meditation practice and these are the ones who experience dukka (suffering). Those who practice meditation understand what this is all about. I am a Buddhist Atheist but through meditation I can see the spiritual side of the human experience. Anyone interested to take the challenge should go to Suan Mokkhe on the main road about 30 km north of Surat Thani at the end of the month and do a 10 day silent retreat and learn this simple practice of meditation. You can call it praying if you want but all it is really is going back to nature. No me, no my and no mine. Peace......

Incidentally, I see Thai women, in the main, more at peace, less materialistic & sleep like babies.

Is there a correlation?

Thai people learn a different version of Buddhism than the Thai monks. Especially those who follow the teachings of Buddadassa from Wat Suan Mokkhe. Those Thais that do not learn or practice meditation do not really understand Buddhism. Some Thais believe that Buddha was born and walked minutes after birth and fought the giant in the jungle. Those who have studied the Pali texts, have learned a far deeper meaning of Buddha's life. Without the practice of silent meditation, the mind is confused and the simple truths of nature are hidden under layers of noise and confusion. Meditation is a difficult thing to learn as it requires a strict discipline of avoiding noise and getting close to nature. Once one has achieved this process, a transformation occurs and certain truths can be learmed. For me it took 5 days of silence to learn this natural process called meditation and those first 5 days were the most difficult experience of my life. However on day 5 there was a break though and a peace and calm entered me and the next 5 days of silence were a treasure of a learning experience. This has absolutely nothing to do with Gods or religion. Once this process of meditation has been learned it cannot be forgotton. However it takes discipline to keep up the practice. There are many Thais who practice meditation and they are the true Buddhists. But there are too many Thais who go to the temple purely for the ceremony and they do not take the time to learn the meditation practice and these are the ones who experience dukka (suffering). Those who practice meditation understand what this is all about. I am a Buddhist Atheist but through meditation I can see the spiritual side of the human experience. Anyone interested to take the challenge should go to Suan Mokkhe on the main road about 30 km north of Surat Thani at the end of the month and do a 10 day silent retreat and learn this simple practice of meditation. You can call it praying if you want but all it is really is going back to nature. No me, no my and no mine. Peace......

Animism.

Is there a correlation?

Don't the Thai people actually learn exactly the same as the Thai monks seeing as it is the Thai monks who do actually teach them?

All Thai children learn and practice meditation at school, it is part of the national curriculum.

One possible explanation:

Since Buddhism has no creator God you might assume that the Buddhist tradition has no room for prayer. The Buddha wasn’t a God. So would be the point of praying to him, or of praying at all?

Some forms of Buddhist practice that look like prayer don’t in fact involve the Buddha or any other enlightened figure. When Buddhists are cultivating lovingkindness and they’re repeating phrases like “May all beings be well; May all beings be happy,” they’re not invoking any kind of outside agency. What they’re doing is strengthening their own desire to see beings flourish and be free from suffering. By repeating the thought, and the intention, “May all beings be well; May all beings be happy,” they’re exercising and strengthening the faculty of kindness. So while this may resemble prayer, there isn’t really any petition (asking a deity for benefits) going on.

... and more: http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/do-buddhists-pray

That's a nice post----& a nice link to a little more understanding ---thank you----- I was so badly tainted with the catholic religion as a kid---I found it hard to accept any form of worship....even though my wife hits the pillow every night ---over the years, I have grown to accept her beliefs & not ridicule them....................coffee1.gif

I have observed that, in the Nth, the Thais are very superstitious. In doing so, a little prayer seems appropriate - not hurting anyone.

The locals all think that the Buddha was born in Thailand. There has been only one exception.

I have sought literature from The Buddhist Educational Foundation (Taiwan). My MIL is enjoying the read.

So many up this way know very little about Buddhism let alone apply same. Even the local monks are short on knowledge.

My latest project is to form a library at the local wat for monks, adults & children.

What a complete load of cr..

I have just asked about 5 of them independently, and all said somewhere around India-Nepal. And these are ordinary This from different provinces. I gave seen Thai school books telling them the same thing.

Or was starting this forum another "trying to be subtle " way of Thai - bashing...

As someone said the 'praying' it's mostly reciting mantras or it's more looking inward reminding yourself to do right etc., plus when done at Wats etv. showing respect for Buddha and monks.

Sure there's superstitious stuff..but that's through all religions as well as non- religious persons. Can think of a million I was brought up with and many I just automatically do; 'touch wood', 'don't open an umbrella in the house', 'don't put new shoes on the table', 'don't retell a bad dream before 11.00am', and if I break a mirror.. well.

I agree with one poster...don't overthink the trivial stuff..live and let be.

I would call that whisky worship - makes as much sense as any other religion

Prayer is closely aligned with Faith...you have Faith that your Prayers are being heard by some unknown force permeating the universe and will look favorable upon your petition because you humble yourself to a higher power...

It give solace and peace of mind to those who are in need or hurting...it may all be imaginary...but effective...

It is pure poppycock for those who believe they are the center of the universe...those who believe in Prayer could care less what you think...

"It serves to both validate our actions and seek wisdom from others."

If it's wisdom you seek, speak to an atheist.

Wisdom has many faces. While I do not believe in god, in the Western sense, I know way concede that atheists have the market on wisdom. In fact, on its face it is arrogant.

IMO, people generally are willing to discuss their inner musings, if they are those who are inclined to pray. I do not believe that if more people prayed the world would be a better place but if more people prayed generally, without a deity as their object, the world would be a better place. Perhaps we agree on this point? Prayer, in this manner, is little more than affirmation and intention.

im an atheist but i dont claim wisdom!

Atheism is NOTa belief or a religion, it is simply a conclusion based on evidence, observation, data, experiment etc, just the same with any other question about anything, i.e regarding a phrase, "Antibiotics cure certain infections" one arrives at this conclusion due to the weight of evidence produced by rational scientific

investigation.

my views about ancient death cults would change in an instant if evidence suggested otherwise,

a Christian once asked me why i dont 'believe' in the ancient middle eastern death cult that he was describing,

i answered it was the same reason he did not believe in the old Gods or Greece,Rome or the Nordic Viking Gods, namely

that they were are a figment of someone's imagination.

Cheers

Spoken as a real European buddhist.

Now try to explain this to Thai buddhists.

Explain what? Everyone knows Buddha is not a god but a teacher. As far as christianity, that is a tactic to keep social order modeld after a religion of ancient Egyptians. This has no place in Thailand.

Me and the "Church" have never really had an understanding. When I was 12 (54 years ago), I was pretty much kicked out of Catholic school for refusing to give up my belief that there is other intelligent life in the multitude of galaxies. The priests accused my parents of raising a "heretic". At 16, I was asked to leave the Methodist church when I questioned the existence of God, and the belief that only through Jesus could we get into Heaven, by daring a minister to tell me what happens to people, such as tribes in the Amazon Jungle who never heard of God or Jesus.

It took me the better part of 6 years to convince my Thai, Buddhist, wife that Buddha was NOT a god, but only a man, and one who specifically told his followers NOT to pray to him, and not to build images of him. So now she's a converted "Christian", and taking that to the extreme. facepalm.gif

I don't pray, but at times of stress, I do meditate, and it has nothing to do with any religion or belief in a "higher being". It's a practice of shutting down my mind, and all thoughts, and finding peace and calm within myself.

I have no problem with people and their religions. Each is entitled to believe what they want. But the religious faction can't seem to accept my beliefs. So be it.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif So exactly so! wai2.gif

Spoken as a real European buddhist.

Now try to explain this to Thai buddhists.

Explain what? Everyone knows Buddha is not a god but a teacher. As far as christianity, that is a tactic to keep social order modeld after a religion of ancient Egyptians. This has no place in Thailand.

Everybody knows Buddha is not a god but a teacher???

Really? Sure some enlightened Europeans know that, but here in Thailand Buddha is a god.

And christianity favouring an outdated social order? Sure, very true, very sad, but less extreme than Thai buddhism.

Have you ever visited Thailand? Or do you just dream all this up?

In my opinion, rightly or wrongly, I would call it a form of Animism as is practiced by many hill tribes in the north west. The Lisu people being an example. As has mixed in with Thai Theravada Buddhism in some areas of the country.

From what I understand.. there are indeed some gods and spirits in some areas of Thailand Buddhism.

Gods that have come from Hinduism...Ganesh being on example among many... .... and the spirits of the place or land and trees etc (the colourful ribbons wrapped around some trees...) and ancestral spirits that have infiltrated from the isolated hill tribe people.. The little spirit house shrines you see everywhere... some have two shrines... one for Buddha... one for the spirits of the land and ancestors... etc..

In some areas of Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia... these things have mixed with Buddhism and you will see Buddhists in these countries honouring and respecting all the forms...

I couldn't quote fang37, but he said in Post # 1

"I have observed Thais pray - particularly women.

Is there a correlation?"

Fang, there must be thousands of posts on TV that would take issue with "more at peace, less materialistic". Don't ever stand between an Isaan bargirl and the potential to strip a foreign man of everything he owns................or even $50.00.

Praying is a Western concept whereas my understanding is that practitioners of Buddhism are simply seeking understanding or whatever in a way that is humble in its portrayal and although the action seems like the Western prayer hand clasp, it is not really that. That similar action in front of the Buddha's image or a monk etc, is a simply showing respect not worship per se. even if some wish may take place at the same time.

Prayer is in no way a Western concept, Hindu's pray for instance, and in Thailand they were practicing prayer long before Buddhism arrived. The truth is, prayer is an old fashioned concept, and one which the Buddha spoke against.

Yes, prayer is more ancient than the divisions of the world. Prayer is the ultimate primordial expression of wonder, and fear.

I am managing these thoughts currently as I read Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines (public domain). When the very wise and adept continue to use the imagery of deity why do they do so, I wonder? It seems even those who evolve to the point of really grasping that no concept of deity can be valid as the human mind, limited and restrained, cannot comprehend such a thing. Yet the Buddhist Yogins continue this either with Shakti or other imagery. I suppose the issue remains the human nature of devotion to ally intention and direction of prayers. Perhaps. But I fully enjoyed this post today. Thank you. Again, ask. I fully believe every person you ask would share with you the manner of their prayers, if not the content.

It is useful to view these questions in the context of the mythology involved between those beliefs that come from a historical, dualistic, viewpoint with that of a metaphorical, poetic viewpoint. The Upanishads recount the creation of the universe by the "self" becoming the universe and in so doing incorporating all beings as divinities. The multitude of Hindu gods are but metaphors for all of humanity. Western religions, beginning with the Egyptians, evolved as dualistic systems that separated the godhead from those it created. For believers, the teachings are not metaphors, but historical fact. There is a separate god to whom they can pray. Eastern religions, including Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism don't have a separate creator to whom practitioners can pray.

Praying is a Western concept

No it's not. Different cultures ALL around the world have prayed to anything from the Sun and Moon to Multi Armed Elephant Monsters and Volcanos.

As for the Western worlds's main religions...Christianity, Judaism etc... they're Middle Eastern religions.

That would be animism.

Is there a correlation?"

Fang, there must be thousands of posts on TV that would take issue with "more at peace, less materialistic". Don't ever stand between an Isaan bargirl and the potential to strip a foreign man of everything he owns................or even $50.00.

Maybe it's because that isan girl is not a good Buddhism

Panca-sila

Pânâtipâtâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Adinnâdânâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Kâmesu Micchâcârâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Musâvâdâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Surâ Mêraya Majja Pamâdatthânâ Verami Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi

Imâni Panca Sikkhâpadâni Samâdiyâmi (3x)

Translation: The Five Precepts

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from taking things not given.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from sexual misconduct.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from false speech.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from liquor causing intoxication and heedlessness.

I undertake to observe the Five Precepts to the best of my ability.(3x

Those are one of Buddhism chanting and also meaning in English

What all bar girl doing is wrong for Buddhism

Because we have 5 rule and those rule including you will not cheat on your husband or even your boyfriend

And also you will not try to seduce or try to take a man who already have relationship. May it be wife or girlfriend

Those who do will go to hell.

Also including drinking is wrong in Buddhism too you can read.

Bhudhist also teach people about

7 types of wife

1) killer wife

2) theif wife

3) master wife

4) mom wife

5) sister wife

6) friend wife

7) servant wife

post-243438-14389118067595_thumb.jpg

Mine is 5 and 6 ;)

Is there a correlation?"

But you cut off the preceding phrase, "in the main". Thai women are not, in the main, bargirls, that is a tiny minority of women who, no doubt as a result of the horrors of their work, often are dishonest in their pursuit of material gain.

Is there a correlation?"

Maybe it's because that isan girl is not a good Buddhism

Panca-sila

Pânâtipâtâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Adinnâdânâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Kâmesu Micchâcârâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Musâvâdâ Veramani Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi.

Surâ Mêraya Majja Pamâdatthânâ Verami Sikkhâpadam Samâdiyâmi

Imâni Panca Sikkhâpadâni Samâdiyâmi (3x)

Translation: The Five Precepts

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from taking things not given.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from sexual misconduct.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from liquor causing intoxication and heedlessness.

I undertake to observe the Five Precepts to the best of my ability.(3x

Those are one of Buddhism chanting and also meaning in English

What all bar girl doing is wrong for Buddhism

Because we have 5 rule and those rule including you will not cheat on your husband or even your boyfriend

And also you will not try to seduce or try to take a man who already have relationship. May it be wife or girlfriend

Those who do will go to hell.

Also including drinking is wrong in Buddhism too you can read.

Bhudhist also teach people about

7 types of wife

1) killer wife

2) theif wife

3) master wife

4) mom wife

5) sister wife

6) friend wife

7) servant wife

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438911803.592696.jpg

"Maybe it's because that isan girl is not a good Buddhism"

Archived