Thai Buddhists pray? Why? To whom?

fang37

I will continue when the time is right but it will not be suitable for you to know since I find you to be quite dishonest. As you could not answer my since question there. Shall I repeat it here.

Do you apply logic to Buddhism or any religious knowledge claim ?

For eg. Do you think the claim o a almighty Creator God and the Adam and eve story as logic defying ?

I have no proof whether it is true or not true.

As none can be or have been proven either way, all religions require an element of faith.

This includes Buddhism.

I choose to view it as a story which exists, placing neither attachment or otherwise to its validity.

It has no bearing on my life.

Is this enough to produce a box seat for your revelation?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One possible explanation:

Since Buddhism has no creator God you might assume that the Buddhist tradition has no room for prayer. The Buddha wasn’t a God. So would be the point of praying to him, or of praying at all?

Some forms of Buddhist practice that look like prayer don’t in fact involve the Buddha or any other enlightened figure. When Buddhists are cultivating lovingkindness and they’re repeating phrases like “May all beings be well; May all beings be happy,” they’re not invoking any kind of outside agency. What they’re doing is strengthening their own desire to see beings flourish and be free from suffering. By repeating the thought, and the intention, “May all beings be well; May all beings be happy,” they’re exercising and strengthening the faculty of kindness. So while this may resemble prayer, there isn’t really any petition (asking a deity for benefits) going on.

... and more: http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/do-buddhists-pray

While it is not Buddhist there are lots of people who pray to specific dead monks for money, rich husbands, winning the lottery. Similar to holy person in Catholic believe.

The (living) monks often encourage it as often some donation happens at the same time.

In my opinion that is complete contrary to the Buddhist believe, but still it is done.....

rocky,

Then I know you are not a Buddhist or a reasonable person. A reasonable and honest person do understand simple logic. If someone tell me he don't know whether Adam and Eve is true or not, meaning he believe maybe Adam and Eve are really the first humans created from mud.

I ask you then what are you doing in this Buddhism forum?

It is very wrong for those who could not differentiate the difference between logic defying religions and theory based religions and simply call all of them as faith based. It don't makes sense to me that people cannot differentiate it or just being dishonest.

It is sad to read that someone takes comfort in calling me dishonest.

Part of the practice the Buddha taught was to practice Mindfulness.

My limited practice in this area has allowed me to observe my personal conditioning as well as that of others.

We are all afflicted to varying degrees of conditioning or learned beliefs/responses.

Concentration practice allows one to overcome automatic response by being quick enough to avert such reactions. My current concentration levels are low.

One thing that I have become aware of is a personal aversion to those who make statements but don't support these.

Unfortunately I have trouble overcoming my attachments. It doesn't stop me from being. I must resolve to continue with my practice.

You must also contend with your personal conditioning.

All I can say is that I am very fortunate not to have attachment to a mindset of making statements which cannot be supported.

Of course there is also the possibility of misinterpretation, especially when interacting with non English speakers.

My limited practice in this area has allowed me to observe my personal conditioning as well as that of others.

We are all afflicted to varying degrees of conditioning or learned beliefs/responses.

One thing that I have become aware of is a personal aversion to those who make statements but don't support these.

Unfortunately I have trouble overcoming my attachments. It doesn't stop me from being. I must resolve to continue with my practice.

All I can say is that I am very fortunate not to have attachment to a mindset of making statements which cannot be supported.

Of course there is also the possibility of misinterpretation, especially when interacting with non English speakers.

Be honest. You are caught again.

Didn't you admit earlier you can believe in core beliefs of Christianity too ?

So isn't that your mindset in supporting something that cannot be supported.

How much Buddhism has you learn ?

You don't sound logical at all, especially when you are so keen to find out why I think Buddhism and Science are coherent.

And you know how to quote that Buddha taught about Mindfulness, which is part of the Noble 8 Fold Path. Then how could you overlooked Right Views and Right Thoughts/Intentions ?

Anyone with right views will not believe in any logic defying claims like those

in the bible.

I suggest you re read my post.

I suspect this is all about interpretation.

I said, I do not believe nor disbelieve.

No one can prove nor disprove

You can speculate based on probability, but that is not proof.

But I am not here to change your mind.

We are all subject go our own conditioning.

It is difficult enough to change mine. I would be fooling myself to think that I could get you to change yours.

Let's just say there is a subtle difference between fixed view and non attachment towards a given event.

While it is not Buddhist there are lots of people who pray to specific dead monks for money, rich husbands, winning the lottery. Similar to holy person in Catholic believe.

The (living) monks often encourage it as often some donation happens at the same time.

In my opinion that is complete contrary to the Buddhist believe, but still it is done.....

You hit the nail on the head. They are not Buddhists in the Buddhist sense. They are Thai.wai2.gif

lost,

My reply to rock is over his opinion on Christianity issue, not Buddhism issue.

Anyway, Buddhism logic is not self defying or conflicting its own theory, unlike Christianity.

Sorry I thought the thread was about Thai Buddhist praying.wai2.gif

Be honest. You are caught again.

Didn't you admit earlier you can believe in core beliefs of Christianity too ?

So isn't that your mindset in supporting something that cannot be supported.

How much Buddhism has you learn ?

You don't sound logical at all, especially when you are so keen to find out why I think Buddhism and Science are coherent.

And you know how to quote that Buddha taught about Mindfulness, which is part of the Noble 8 Fold Path. Then how could you overlooked Right Views and Right Thoughts/Intentions ?

Anyone with right views will not believe in any logic defying claims like those

in the bible.

surely you are not suggesting that all your views and intentions are right views and intentions?

AYJAYDEE,

To my knowledge, my views and intentions are right, but of course, I may be wrong too. I hope if I am wrong, others could point them out to me just like the way I point out to rock.

most folks dont like to preach and dont appreciate being preached to.

Try meditation / sitting quiet, for a few minutes before going to bed and you may experience a surprisingly restful sleep.

Likewise, having a few moments of yoga-like stretching before going to bed tends to work wonders for improving sleep quality.

How can one expect to have a restful sleep when going to bed with a headful of static-psychic noise transmitting in the form of current or past events?

Their is nothing better than a restful nights sleep...and as simple as silence is ,seems to evade many.

Meditation is non-denominational and with universal application - Try it.

oh,ya....a good pillow and mattress will help too! thumbsup.gif

Try meditation / sitting quiet, for a few minutes before going to bed and you may experience a surprisingly restful sleep.

Likewise, having a few moments of yoga-like stretching before going to bed tends to work wonders for improving sleep quality.

How can one expect to have a restful sleep when going to bed with a headful of static-psychic noise transmitting in the form of current or past events?

Their is nothing better than a restful nights sleep...and as simple as silence is ,seems to evade many.

What is the difference between meditation and a Thai person praying for money?

What is the difference between meditation and a Thai person praying for money?

Their is no supplication during meditation. It is emptying the mind.

AYJAYDEE,

To my knowledge, my views and intentions are right, but of course, I may be wrong too. I hope if I am wrong, others could point them out to me just like the way I point out to rock.

Most folks are ignorant too, that is why preaching works. Christianity proved it well.

AYJAYDEE,

Most folks are ignorant too, that is why preaching works. Christianity proved it well.

Only.

You display a strong aversion to Christianity.

For something which allegedly is false, you place way to much energy.

Buddhism is about letting go of attachment.

My recommendation: "Let go".

rock,

I think you don't understand Buddhism or religion well or you are not honest.

If you don't even understand or own belief, how could you understand Buddhism.

If you think I am aversive to Chistian and let go my feeling, you mean I should let them carry on even knowledge the religion is bad or useless ? That will be sinful.

The

This is the mistake most people make.

All religions are misused by those who profess to follow them.

I have a close one whose family was murdered by Buddhists.

Does this make the Buddha or Buddhism wrong?

It is not the religion which is wrong.

It is those who carry out terrible deeds in the name of their religion.

Only Jesus can represent Christianity.

Only the Buddha can represent Buddhism.

Only Allah can represent Islam.

Do not make the mistake to denigrate based on those who misrepresent their chosen faith.

As for which one is the correct one, perhaps they all spring from the same well.

Why do some appear implausible?

Perhaps many appear deficient because the message was passed on/written by humans who are incapable of understanding or comprehending that which is not of this world.

Of that which is permanent and unconditioned.

This is the mistake most people make.

All religions are misused by those who profess to follow them.

I have a close one whose family was murdered by Buddhists.

Does this make the Buddha or Buddhism wrong?

It is not the religion which is wrong.

It is those who carry out terrible deeds in the name of their religion.

Only Jesus can represent Christianity.

Only the Buddha can represent Buddhism.

Only Allah can represent Islam.

Do not make the mistake to denigrate based on those who misrepresent their chosen faith.

As for which one is the correct one, perhaps they all spring from the same well.

Why do some appear implausible?

Perhaps many appear deficient because the message was passed on/written by humans who are incapable of understanding or comprehending that which is not of this world.

Of that which is permanent and unconditioned.

If the religion says go out and kill non believers I have a bit of a problem with it.

If a religion claim their god can take anyone's life claiming that it's love, I can't accept it too.

It is not right to think that each religion can only be represented by their followers.

All people are in the same earth, why should they be different in religions. This well proved that some religions are fake or wrong.

Until now, I only see Buddhism said it applies to everyone, whether you believe them or not. IslAm and Christianity claim only their followers can go to heaven.

Go figure out which is more believable and more reasonable or logicAl.

Now, Mormons proved to live longer, so what the Christian church say now ?

If a religion claim their god can take anyone's life claiming that it's love, I can't accept it too.

So I guess that only leaves Buddhism. wai2.gif
Chinese religions and Hinduism may not be wrong too. They have nothing debunked by science or defied logic too. They don't claim their gods are almighty or take their followers or anyone's lives.

Archived