Can My Thai Wife Inherit My UK State Pension?

somo

I am sure this is covered somewhere else but trying to find the info is practically impossible.

I am filling out my UK state pension claim form and am tempted to keep things simple by saying I am single. Would my Thai wife of 17 years realistically be able to claim anything once I am gone bearing in mind she cannot write english and would have no idea of how to proceed. I just cannot see her ever getting anything unless there is some automatic way for it to happen.

Any help much appreciated.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai wives of British subjects are no longer entitled to a state pension, unless they have earned it in their own right (ie working at some time in the UK and paying NI contributions

When a British subject dies, his Thai wife is CURRENTLY entitled to claim Bereavement Benefits. They are a £2000 lump sum, if children under 18/19 and still at school, a Widowed Parents Allowance, or if no children, a Bereavement Allowance based loosesly on the husbands NI contributions as long as the widow is over 45, and this is payable for just 1 year.

NOTE Where the husbands state pension was frozen, benefits are reduced.

From 6th April 2016, there will be no Bereavement Benefits for Thai wives/widows, unless they were resident in the UK at the time of husbands death.

The simple message to British farangs is:- If you are going to die, do it on or before 5th April 2016.

Thai wives of British subjects are no longer entitled to a state pension, unless they have earned it in their own right (ie working at some time in the UK and paying NI contributions

When a British subject dies, his Thai wife is CURRENTLY entitled to claim Bereavement Benefits. They are a £2000 lump sum, if children under 18/19 and still at school, a Widowed Parents Allowance, or if no children, a Bereavement Allowance based loosesly on the husbands NI contributions as long as the widow is over 45, and this is payable for just 1 year.

NOTE Where the husbands state pension was frozen, benefits are reduced.

From 6th April 2016, there will be no Bereavement Benefits for Thai wives/widows, unless they were resident in the UK at the time of husbands death.

The simple message to British farangs is:- If you are going to die, do it on or before 5th April 2016.

Being in good health it seems there is no point in getting duplicate wedding certs, proof of her age etc etc. Big hassle for nothing.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

If they don't live in the UK pay NI contributions then they shouldn't get anything. I eould not dream of trying to get a benefit of a state pension for my wife for when I'm gone. She has not paid in or ever lived there. They survived before they married us and will after we are gone.

I was not debating the rights or wrongs just what the situation is. You clearly don't care what happens to your wife after you have gone but I do.

If they don't live in the UK pay NI contributions then they shouldn't get anything. I eould not dream of trying to get a benefit of a state pension for my wife for when I'm gone. She has not paid in or ever lived there. They survived before they married us and will after we are gone.

The point is that up until next year British wives can obtain state pensions, bereavement benefits etc based on their husbands NI contributions.so why should the wife of a British subject who is not a British citizen be excluded. Same NI contributions!

What is wrong now is that Thai widows may claim widowed parents allowance for kids under 18/19, where the Father is NOT the British subject.

All will be change next April.

I think it an absolute scandal that UK pensions do not transfer at least for a reasonable period of years to a spouse of any age. Typical of UK penny pinching and degrading of the benefit system. I mean they are pretty damn quick to strip people of their inheritance even though they are not living in the country.

I was not debating the rights or wrongs just what the situation is. You clearly don't care what happens to your wife after you have gone but I do.

Ask an innocent question on ThaiVisa and open yourself up to abuse. T'was ever thus.

I think it an absolute scandal that UK pensions do not transfer at least for a reasonable period of years to a spouse of any age. Typical of UK penny pinching and degrading of the benefit system. I mean they are pretty damn quick to strip people of their inheritance even though they are not living in the country.

And, whilst we take nothing from their welfare system, we still pay Income Tax and get no State Pension Increases when living in Thailand.

I do know that if you do have a private ''Company Pension'', your wife or partner gets that when you are gone....

am i glad i worked for a large organisation...

Even that is fraught with problems.

With many UK Companies, the wife will not get the full widows pension (usually around 50%), if marriage took place AFTER you finished service. Army pensions,some controlled by the government (nuclear industry) and many others, will, if marriage occurred after leaving service, only pay a pension based upon service from 1978.

I have been assisting 2 Thai widows recently, and they both fell into the situation of marrying after husbands retirement. Both received widows pensions of around £1000 a year, whereas their husbands had been enjoying pensions of £8,000/9,000 per year. So much for the 50%.

Don't take it for granted that your widow will be well provided for by your former employer. Write to them and find out precisely what she may get.

There are other alternatives and you should plan accordingly.

And, whilst we take nothing from their welfare system, we still pay Income Tax and get no State Pension Increases when living in Thailand.

You pay nothing here..but uses certain services..can't have it all ways.

I do know that if you do have a private ''Company Pension'', your wife or partner gets that when you are gone....

Anyone with a private company pension can ask the providers for any widow's pension to be paid to a nominated partner. The trustees will have the final say. They will require certain supporting documentation, usually marriage and birth certificates for both partners plus proof of identity and contact details. All documents will need to be notarised and any in Thai translated.

Incidentally, it is not usually necessary to get documents notarised by a lawyeer, whcih can be expensive. My local bank manager happily signs stuff for me and appends the bank's official stamp free of charge

Even that is fraught with problems.

With many UK Companies, the wife will not get the full widows pension (usually around 50%), if marriage took place AFTER you finished service. Army pensions,some controlled by the government (nuclear industry) and many others, will, if marriage occurred after leaving service, only pay a pension based upon service from 1978.

I have been assisting 2 Thai widows recently, and they both fell into the situation of marrying after husbands retirement. Both received widows pensions of around £1000 a year, whereas their husbands had been enjoying pensions of £8,000/9,000 per year. So much for the 50%.

Don't take it for granted that your widow will be well provided for by your former employer. Write to them and find out precisely what she may get.

Maybe its the type of Company i worked for , but i have already got it in black and white, what my Partner will recieve, monthly and also get a lump sum..... Not Bad i thought.

MILITARY PENSION

Could i also ask here, are the rules the same for my UK Military Pension

If i marry a Thai lady

Is she entitled to half my Pension when i go to heaven

Thanks

Not sure about the current rules,but way back when in the 60s/70s you had an option of joining the widows and orphans scheme.I declined because I was not a 22 year man plus prior to the budget in 75 there was no pension for an under 12 years man time served,Luckily enough my time served was 3 months after the 75 budget,but I had to wait 33 years to enjoy the benefit.I am sure there must be an ex servicemans site who could advise you better,or try the british legion,just a thought

It isn't that many years back whereby the wife could make a claim on the old husband's pension.

Likely due to older times when many women were stay at home mothers/housewives and didn't have any NI contribution.

Sixty-five year old Expats marrying 24 year old Thai girls wasn't very common when those rules were drawn up..

Times have changed and I wonder now whether I will get my pension on reaching whatever moved goal-post age marker will be required. Being an Expat or a means test may eliminate me despite keeping up with paying the stamps.

MILITARY PENSION

If i marry a Thai lady

Thanks

See my comments above regarding date of marriage to a Thai woman.

My experience with a widows army pension has not been good. Although she was married to her late husband for 7 years, the marriage took place after he ceased service in the army and was already in receipt of his army pension. Her widows pension was less than 15% of his. Not a happy lady, especially as her husband had assured her she would receive 50%

It

depends on the terms and one should check. My wife will get half of my pension when I pass on - upgraded annually for lesser of RPI/5%

Not quite so simple, often prior to initial drawing of pension, choices have to be made,

Do you want widows pension paid

Do you want your pension index linked

Depending on choices amount paid will be calculated, if you opt for no widows pension, and no inflation linking, initial pension will be substantially more but when dead nothing more paid

I presume he will take the same moral "she hasn't paid in or been there" stance to any occupational pension that she WOULD be entitled to !!

If she hasn't paid N.I. why should she get anything

Totally irrelevant. The question isn't about her claiming in her own right - which is what her own NI contributions would facilitate - but a percentage of her husband's, which is based on his contributions. So, yes, she should be entitled to some ongoing pension in the event of his death, just as a British widow, who had also never paid her own NI contributions, would be. But I believe her age would then need to be upwards of 60, not 45, though I intend to check myself.

If she hasn't paid N.I. why should she get anything

why should millions of other non contributing foreigners get anything when they havnt paid a bean into the system? but they seem to manage on 38k a year in a lot of cases and most recieve more than pensioners that fought in the war, survived that and then spent a lifetime paying into the system.

MILITARY PENSION

If i marry a Thai lady

Thanks

See my comments above regarding date of marriage to a Thai woman.

My experience with a widows army pension has not been good. Although she was married to her late husband for 7 years, the marriage took place after he ceased service in the army and was already in receipt of his army pension. Her widows pension was less than 15% of his. Not a happy lady, especially as her husband had assured her she would receive 50%

This doesn't sound right. Please post a few more details (time served, year of discharge, others in the queue since 'pension grabs upon divorce' were enabled in the mid 90's).

Sounds like she's being short-changed.

Archived