Can My Thai Wife Inherit My UK State Pension?

somo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all here:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

Key Paragraph:

Getting a life certificate

A ‘life certificate’ is a form the Department for Work and Pensions might send you to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

If you get sent a life certificate, you’ll need to get it signed by a witness and send it back, as instructed on the form. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t send it back.

I do know that if you do have a private ''Company Pension'', your wife or partner gets that when you are gone....

am i glad i worked for a large organisation...

What percentage does she get though? My private pension rules are quite clear. Due to the age difference (not uncommon for pensioners with Thai wives), my wife would get a very much reduced pension.

It's all here:

Key Paragraph:

A ‘life certificate’ is a form the Department for Work and Pensions might send you to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

If you get sent a life certificate, you’ll need to get it signed by a witness and send it back, as instructed on the form. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t send it back.

As far as I am aware there is no set timing with DWP. They appeared to play game of 'catch up' last year and I must have witnessed more than half a dozen Life Certificates for local expats; I have not been asked to do one this year.

Private pension schemes are more likely to keep tabs on you - typically, a certificate will be required every year if you are over 70 years of age.

It's all here:

Key Paragraph:

As far as I am aware there is no set timing with DWP. They appeared to play game of 'catch up' last year and I must have witnessed more than half a dozen Life Certificates for local expats; I have not been asked to do one this year.

Private pension schemes are more likely to keep tabs on you - typically, a certificate will be required every year if you are over 70 years of age.

I was 71 in May 2015 but of my 3 pensions none have sent me a life certificate, yet.

Thai wives of British subjects are no longer entitled to a state pension, unless they have earned it in their own right (ie working at some time in the UK and paying NI contributions

When a British subject dies, his Thai wife is CURRENTLY entitled to claim Bereavement Benefits. They are a £2000 lump sum, if children under 18/19 and still at school, a Widowed Parents Allowance, or if no children, a Bereavement Allowance based loosesly on the husbands NI contributions as long as the widow is over 45, and this is payable for just 1 year.

NOTE Where the husbands state pension was frozen, benefits are reduced.

From 6th April 2016, there will be no Bereavement Benefits for Thai wives/widows, unless they were resident in the UK at the time of husbands death.

The simple message to British farangs is:- If you are going to die, do it on or before 5th April 2016.

be happy !

this is UK,

the very high level standard with social securities !

for me it seems a pure rassiest country !!

A friend of mine died in Thailand in April (RIP Dave). He failed to leave a will and it left friends to try to sort out the problem. With two friends in Thailand and me in UK we have managed eventually to get things sorted for his widow. I think the most important things are- a) make sure the marriage is officially registered.B) Get translated, certified copies of marriage certificate and Thai wife's birth certificate and upon death the death certificate will also be required. c) make sure you find someone responsible to act on your wishes.(i.e. an executor)

The UK office for bereavement benefit is DWP International Group, Room TC013 Tyneview Park, Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1BA. Also note that all applications must be made within 3 months of date of date of death. It would be most unwise to say you are single on any forms after 17 years of marriage as your Thai wife will have problems proving her entitlement. As regards the other question I saw regarding Army pension. Dave was receiving Army pension and I phoned the office regarding this and was told that as he was not a serving soldier when he started drawing his Army pension the pension died with him. If he had been serving and was pensioned out there would have been an entitlement for his widow. Hope this helps.

Dave was receiving Army pension and I phoned the office regarding this and was told that as he was not a serving soldier when he started drawing his Army pension the pension died with him. If he had been serving and was pensioned out there would have been an entitlement for his widow.

Welcome to the board(s). Please re write the last paragraph re Army Pension, inc his age, year of discharge and time (years) served as it currently doesn't make sense. My guess from the above would be that he left the Army prior to 06 Apr 1975 when AFPS 75 was first introduced. With a little more detail the veterans among us will have a better idea as to whether or not Dave's widow has an entitlement which may have been overlooked.

A friend of mine died in Thailand in April (RIP Dave). He failed to leave a will and it left friends to try to sort out the problem. With two friends in Thailand and me in UK we have managed eventually to get things sorted for his widow. I think the most important things are- a) make sure the marriage is officially registered.cool.png Get translated, certified copies of marriage certificate and Thai wife's birth certificate and upon death the death certificate will also be required. c) make sure you find someone responsible to act on your wishes.(i.e. an executor)

The UK office for bereavement benefit is DWP International Group, Room TC013 Tyneview Park, Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1BA. Also note that all applications must be made within 3 months of date of date of death. It would be most unwise to say you are single on any forms after 17 years of marriage as your Thai wife will have problems proving her entitlement. As regards the other question I saw regarding Army pension. Dave was receiving Army pension and I phoned the office regarding this and was told that as he was not a serving soldier when he started drawing his Army pension the pension died with him. If he had been serving and was pensioned out there would have been an entitlement for his widow. Hope this helps.

The above is, of course, academic after April next year unless the widow is living in the UK.

BUT, until then, a Thai widow may be entitled to Bereavement Payment GBP 2,000 and possibly one of Bereavement Allowance or Widowed Parents Allowance (up to GBP 112.55 per week this one until a child is 18 or finishes school).

On a point of order, the BP must be claimed within a year, the BA cn only be backdated 3 months and you will lose money if you don't claim WPA within 2months.

It is all here:-

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment

A friend of mine died in Thailand in April (RIP Dave). He failed to leave a will and it left friends to try to sort out the problem. With two friends in Thailand and me in UK we have managed eventually to get things sorted for his widow. I think the most important things are- a) make sure the marriage is officially registered.cool.png Get translated, certified copies of marriage certificate and Thai wife's birth certificate and upon death the death certificate will also be required. c) make sure you find someone responsible to act on your wishes.(i.e. an executor)

RE the army pension Sherlockh has mentioned...yes I know this op is about SS Pension ..sorry.

I am one of the two friends in Thailand that Sherlockh (above mentioned comment). I have asked Sherlock to respond again with the detail requested (I sent him an email)

Dave was 85 years old and died in Thailand 11 April 2015. We have lodged the bereavement application and had that acknowledged.

My issue is the army pension.

Do any of you guys have an address to write to concerning that as Dave has left no documents in this regards. If you have an address we can write there. Please let me know.

Regards

In response to Evadgib, I can only say what I was told when I contacted the Army pensions office, but as we all know even a lot of office staff do not have all the right details. Dave was pensioned out of the Army with a heart condition in 1965 or 1966 as far as I can remember. He had served from around 1947. I am not sure of the details as it is so long ago and the brain rusts a bit, but I know he served in Palestine and later in Malaya. I have Googled Army Pensions Office and have come up with this address:-

Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC); Mail Point 480, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX. If you google army pensions there is a link -gov-veterans uk which may be of more help with pages of info.

I have just got Dave's military details for anybody who might be interested. He joined up on 9/1/1948 and left on 3/9/1964 . He served in 16/5 Lancers and REME.

A letter has now been sent to the Army Pensions to find out if there is any entitlement for his widow. Results will be posted when we have them.

I have just got Dave's military details for anybody who might be interested. He joined up on 9/1/1948 and left on 3/9/1964 . He served in 16/5 Lancers and REME.

A letter has now been sent to the Army Pensions to find out if there is any entitlement for his widow. Results will be posted when we have them.

You are an example why foreigners need foreigners as reliable friends..it's so important here..

• 8 months later...

There is a lot of helpful posters here,but what i would like/ is up to date info. regarding what my 59 year old Thai wife would be able to claim from UK government if anything! in the event of my death, having just recovered from a minor stroke i realise i am not bullet proof anymore i am 77, she has a nat.health number, and UK bank account, having lived with me in the UK on and off for 6 yrs,, we are both permanently resident now in Thailand.

It seems the £2000 lump sum has gone if i understand correctly, does the widows pension or whatever it is called, still pay for 12 months?

If anyone can help with info. and forms required that i can print out i would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,

Please except my apologies for hi-jacking the OP but could not see any up to date info regarding my query.

Maxc.....

There is a lot of helpful posters here,but what i would like/ is up to date info. regarding what my 59 year old Thai wife would be able to claim from UK government if anything! in the event of my death, having just recovered from a minor stroke i realise i am not bullet proof anymore i am 77, she has a nat.health number, and UK bank account, having lived with me in the UK on and off for 6 yrs,, we are both permanently resident now in Thailand.

It seems the £2000 lump sum has gone if i understand correctly, does the widows pension or whatever it is called, still pay for 12 months?

If anyone can help with info. and forms required that i can print out i would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,

Please except my apologies for hi-jacking the OP but could not see any up to date info regarding my query.

Maxc.....

You should contact the International Pensions Centre

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

They are helpful and will provide the information you seek,

Thanks in advance,

Maxc.....

You should contact the International Pensions Centre

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

They are helpful and will provide the information you seek,

Thanks John that is exactly what i required and up to date 24 April 2016,I notice they are still quoting the £2000 bereavement payment, as well as the 52 week allowance, do you know if this is still ongoing? as i was under the impression it was scrapped this April.

Thanks again for the info. Maxc

• 10 months later...
On 07/08/2015 at 8:00 AM, BillBilous said:

MILITARY PENSION

Could i also ask here, are the rules the same for my UK Military Pension

If i marry a Thai lady

Is she entitled to half my Pension when i go to heaven

Thanks

If you need A definitive answer on your Thai wifes entitlement....please contact me.    I have spent a few years resolving this simple answer with Glasgow ans Equinity paymasters in UK.   Sent you a pm...but seems to have vanished from the system.  Regards

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2015 at 9:19 AM, PattayaPhom said:

If she hasn't paid N.I. why should she get anything

because I have another pension i still pay income tax to the uk although I have been 'non resident' for 20+ years..my wife should get some pension based on my 44 years of compulsory payments via .N.I.S...

I also count the 'Employers contribution' as MY contribution to this scam...all employers would count this sum when working out the money paid for any job.They would also show this sum to Trade unions  as 'loss' when the trade unions are seeking higher salaries.....The court of human rights also found that my pension is a governmment benefit....Not for those of us that made these ridiculously

high [compulsory] payments for 44 years.

Archived