Thailand considers cloning ancient contested Preah Vihear temple

webfact

Thailand Considers Cloning Ancient Contested Temple
By Khaosod English

14388661301438866403l.jpg
Thai and Cambodian security forces have battled at least twice over the long-contested Preah Vihear just across the border from Si Sa Ket province. With the temple now inaccessible from Thailand, local officials have thought of a way to restore tourism. Photo: Taksam SC

SI SA KET — Those fighting over sacred sites elsewhere in the world should take note of this innovative solution.

After failing to wrest a sacred, mountaintop temple from Cambodia by force of law or just force, the Thai military is considering constructing a mock version of it for visitors to enjoy without having to leave the kingdom.

“It will draw many tourists to visit ... because tourism business owners in Bangkok are saying many tourists want to see Preah Vihear,” said Kalyanee Thamjaree of the governor’s office in Si Sa Ket province. “So I want this project to be built quickly, so that people around Phrea Vihear Temple will be able to sell souvenirs to tourists.”

Ultranationalists in Thailand have seethed ever since the International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 the ancient Khmer temple belonged to Cambodia and over the years have called for forcefully reclaiming it.

Artillery and gunfire killed soldiers on both sides during the last flare up in 2011, and it is no longer accessible from the Thai side, ending once-thriving trade there.

Four years after that last deadly exchange between Thai and Cambodian security forces, Si Saket provincial officials said the military has approved the idea to build a replica of it not far from the real deal.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438866130&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-07

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my, what a stupid idea. Do they really think tourists, especially foreign tourists, would be interested in coming to Thailand to see a copy? Real tourists travel to see the real thing.

Another stupid idea from another brain dead bureaucrat. I wish these guys would stop having their brain farts in public.

Edited by WhizBang

Great idea! But why stop there, how about also cloning the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon and the Sydney Harbour Bridge whilst singing "We Are The World"

Might I suggest a cheaper alternative,bearing in mind the Thai physche.

post-240734-0-14834400-1438910403_thumb.

Well when they do replicate the thing, when giving tours they should also give the modern history of the monument; what happened to the Cambodian refugees....during the Khmer rouge years....nothing in particular to be proud of.

Who would want to see a replica of a pile of rubble and @#$@?

Edited by AlQaholic

“So I want this project to be built quickly, so that people around Phrea Vihear Temple will be able to sell souvenirs to tourists.”

Come to Thailand to buy trashy souvenirs at a mock-up Khmer temple. That's what it's all about.

Why on earth not make access easier to the real Preah Vihear complex? But, that would require co-operation and innovation.These people are so insecure.