Briton dies on family road trip in Thailand, 11 injured

webfact

Briton Dies On Family Road Trip, 11 Injured

By Khaosod English

14389247931438924847l.jpg
UK National Paul Flood was traveling with his wife and extended family to Ko Chang early this morning when their truck collided with a vehicle in Trat province, killing Flood.

TRAT — A British man was on the road with his family to an island vacation in the east of Thailand this morning when the truck he was riding in smashed head-on into another, killing him.

A dozen people – 11 from one vehicle and one from the other – were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Trat’s Khao Saming district at around 5 am today, including 50-year-old Paul Flood, who later died of his wounds.

Four children are among the wounded passengers, police said.

Chaliao Flood, wife of the deceased, was driving one of the trucks, which was loaded with members of her family.

She told reporters that they set out from home in Nong Bua Lamphu province at about 6 pm last night and were headed for a vacation on Koh Chang in eastern Thailand.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438924793

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-07

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP. But one of the trucks was in the wrong oncoming lane. Which truck?

RIP. Very sad, as his wife and children will be without a husband and father, respectively.

It will be difficult to determine fault for this accident, although the presumption is that Mrs. Flood is at fault, because she was turning right, and the other truck was proceeding straight ahead. The photos in the source linked article show that this is a broadside collision, not head-on, so no one was in the wrong lane. Mr. Wattana was probably speeding and Mrs. Flood probably violated his right of way, by turning right, when it wasn't safe to do so.

Sad sad but too common - Mr. Flood´s death will not count in horror statistics since he died later ... Nice way to hide that probably more than 100 are killed every day here in Traffick-hell on Earth ...

RIP - hope the injured makes it

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

He died instantly I think , anyway RIP .

Edit:

Paul Flood, who later died of his wounds

Chaliao said she was turning right at an intersection and failed to see the oncoming truck, which slammed into her vehicle.

Wattana Sinuan, the driver of the other pick-up truck, said he tried to brake but could not stop in time because Chaliao took the turn without any warning.

“I tried to brake and swerve off, but it was too late,” Wattana said.

Edited by balo

RIP. Very sad, as his wife and children will be without a husband and father, respectively.

It will be difficult to determine fault for this accident, although the presumption is that Mrs. Flood is at fault, because she was turning right, and the other truck was proceeding straight ahead. The photos in the source linked article show that this is a broadside collision, not head-on, so no one was in the wrong lane. Mr. Wattana was probably speeding and Mrs. Flood probably violated his right of way, by turning right, when it wasn't safe to do so.

An extended cab, 2 door Isuzu truck. Let's say 5 people in the cab? That leaves 6 in the back of the pickup, possibly several children?. Too many people travel in the open truck-bed and sit so that whenever there is emergency braking, they are thrown forwards towards the cab.

Anyway a tragedy nonetheless, I hope the family manages to cope with their loss. My condolences.

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

Let's postulate that neither of the drivers holds or has held a British driving license. Mr Floods wife was driving and admits she made a right turn and did not see the opposing vehicle. Casting aspersions on the other Thai driver is stupid as he had the right of way in this accident.Judging by the damage, excessive speed does not seem to be the case.

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

Dangerous at any time of the day (or night)...

I would never drive long distances at night, especially in unfamilar areas.

Evern during daytime, we take wrong turns and get flustered and confused.

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Edited by slipperylobster

Nong Bua Lamphu to Trat. Driving all night. Overloaded truck (in terms of passengers). Almost there. Very tired. Just want to get there. So tired. Hurry hurry. Almost reached the ferry pier. Gotta make it soon. Don't fall asleep. Judgement impaired. Driving becomes sloppy. Almost there. Don't stop. Don't rest. Almost there. Gotta make it without stopping. BANG

Nong Bua Lamphu to Trat. Driving all night. Overloaded truck (in terms of passengers). Almost there. Very tired. Just want to get there. So tired. Hurry hurry. Almost reached the ferry pier. Gotta make it soon. Don't fall asleep. Judgement impaired. Driving becomes sloppy. Almost there. Don't stop. Don't rest. Almost there. Gotta make it without stopping. BANG

Add in super heavy tint on the Brit's windows and a propensity for Thai drivers not to use their headlights. It's probably impossible to tell if that was the case here, but only the parking lights appear to be on in the picture.

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

So true...

Just no concept of spacial awareness or other peoples safety...

Both this attitude and a multitude of others are why this is my last year in Thailand... I am becoming jaded by the place...

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

A dozen people 11 from one vehicle and one from the other were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Trats Khao Saming district at around 5 am today, including 50-year-old Paul Flood, who later died of his wounds.

11 in a vehicle designed to carry maximum of 5. Obviously 6 were in the bed of the truck, with no seats, no seat belts and no safety.

An extended cab, 2 door Isuzu truck. Let's say 5 people in the cab? That leaves 6 in the back of the pickup, possibly several children?. Too many people travel in the open truck-bed and sit so that whenever there is emergency braking, they are thrown forwards towards the cab.

Anyway a tragedy nonetheless, I hope the family manages to cope with their loss. My condolences.

Yes. Happens all the time. The largish family have one car and it has to be a pickup for work purposes. 13 people have to go somewhere.

very sad RIP

I would postulate further as it seems this was at a set of traffic lights, what's the odds the speeding truck failed to stop at a red light

So true...

Just no concept of spacial awareness or other peoples safety...

Both this attitude and a multitude of others are why this is my last year in Thailand... I am becoming jaded by the place...

Me too... Not sure where to go next...

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

Holiday ?? I think this one might be cancelled....

Codolences. Only 11 injured from one vehicle and they were all sitting in the back of the truck one would imagine.

Only tougher laws and real penalties will stop the road carnage in this country.

Successive governments do nothing.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Well i would assume that Mr Flood was in the back sitting on the right. 11 people in the truck so 2 in the front three in the back seats and 6 in the back end. The side is not totaled so i would assume he was crushed due to lack of space. The others in the back will have been thrown out. If the truck had 4 people inside it we would not be reading this article today.

Very sad and I hope the others recover soon but I would never drive at night here to many too many idiots driving in the dark.

I would like to add to that too many idiots driving in the dark with inadequate or improper lighting on their vehicles (including trucks with trailers)

This is the tragic story of an error of judgement by the driver of the vehicle the deceased was travelling in, and I am seeing it turn into a judgement of Thai driving with comments on running red lights etc. The driver admitted to an error and the other party stated he tried to brake and take evasive action.

You don't need to bash the Thais on this story, there will be more opportunities in other road trauma stories.

Left at 6pm, accident at 5am, I wonder if she had been driving all night without a rest.

m

It is looking like the Lady must have been very tired driving that long. Bit silly really 6pm to the crash at 5am.11 hours RIP to the poor holliday guy and hope the others have a speedy recovery.

Let's postulate that neither of the drivers holds or has held a British driving license. Mr Floods wife was driving and admits she made a right turn and did not see the opposing vehicle. Casting aspersions on the other Thai driver is stupid as he had the right of way in this accident.Judging by the damage, excessive speed does not seem to be the case.

OK. The driver who crashed into the pickup may have had the right of way, but have you ever seen a vehicle approaching a u turn slow down? Nor have I. Sad story but all too familiar.