Briton dies on family road trip in Thailand, 11 injured

webfact

Dangerous at any time of the day (or night)...

I would never drive long distances at night, especially in unfamilar areas.

Evern during daytime, we take wrong turns and get flustered and confused.

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

What a ridiculous comment. Are you Thai?

Come on, modern cars have air-conditioning and you won't even notice the outside heat when driving. Also, have you heard of a sun visor? It's that thing you pull down so the sun doesn't get in your face, but when is that ever a problem anyway? Only for like 20 mins in the morning if driving east or 20 mins in the evening if driving west.

It makes much more sense to start driving early morning then arriving in the evening perhaps somewhere close to the ferry pier, or if you start early enough it might even be possible to arrive in Koh Chang the same day.

People shouldn't really be sitting in the back of a truck, especially not for a 12-hour journey. But even if they do, well they should cover their bodies to avoid sunburn.

No its not ridiculous, its frequently much safer to drive late at night in Thailand as there is much less traffic, especially heavy lorries that are banned in many places at night and despite the not infrequent driver with no/low lights, especially motorcycles, it is generally easier to see others overtaking around bends, etc. If you are driving in an area where you know there are animals like elephants you need to take special care, but there are many less stray dogs around now than there were 15/20 years ago.You still get the odd very slow lorry and the dreaded unlit farm carts, but these are normally encountered in the evening. The poor family that are the subject of this post were surely tired trying to get to the ferry and probably had swapped drivers several times their long journey. Typical of right turn accidents in many countries. Very Sorry for all the kids, but its the only way for many poor families to get a holiday by packing everyone into the pickup.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Farangs , letting women drive motobikes, cars, I would Never Ever let a Thai Woman Drive Me...

Stupid idiot. My wife has driven with me many, many, many thousands of k around Thialand and other countries. I warrant I would trust her driving 10 times more than yours. My 2nd eldest Thai daughter is equally as good. Misogynist twit. Very Sorry for this family though. Surely rushing for the ferry and trying to get the kids out of the back of the pickup asap makes for stress, fatigue and mistakes like this. RIP.

Maybe if you weren't Drunk Everyday , You would be Driving, btw I'm a Professional Driver , Einstein. ...

Professional Driver??

Not on your life

Arrogant driver more like. The worst kind.

like u know anything, Miss Doubtfire... Edited by Nice Boyd

RIP. But one of the trucks was in the wrong oncoming lane. Which truck?

RIP. Very sad, as his wife and children will be without a husband and father, respectively.

It will be difficult to determine fault for this accident, although the presumption is that Mrs. Flood is at fault, because she was turning right, and the other truck was proceeding straight ahead. The photos in the source linked article show that this is a broadside collision, not head-on, so no one was in the wrong lane. Mr. Wattana was probably speeding and Mrs. Flood probably violated his right of way, by turning right, when it wasn't safe to do so.

When you're making a right turn, you are always crossing the "wrong lane" in Thailand.

Nong Bua Lamphu to Trat. Driving all night. Overloaded truck (in terms of passengers). Almost there. Very tired. Just want to get there. So tired. Hurry hurry. Almost reached the ferry pier. Gotta make it soon. Don't fall asleep. Judgement impaired. Driving becomes sloppy. Almost there. Don't stop. Don't rest. Almost there. Gotta make it without stopping. BANG

all night driving !!

have nothing to do with driving scills !

You can't drive all night and be fresh !

5 - 6 am is the most dangerues time, when daylight starts,

you think you have done it and start to deeze - and BAM !!

When i drive with my family - we always stop before midnight to rest in a guesthouse till morning,

and than continou fresh !!

NEVER! NEVER! drive on a thai road at night! it is most certainly a kamikaze mission! motorcycles with no lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, shitty roads no lites, buffaloes, animals! I drove twice between korat and ubon twice fifteen years ago and learned my lesson.

It was a terrible accident! We have all been close to one or in one and lucky enough to escape. It's pretty pointless trying to work out what caused it with no real knowledge apart from his wife's statement. As it seems she seems to be pretty clear about the way it came about.

For those immediately laying the blame saying she must have been tired from driving for 11 hrs perhaps one of the other passengers drove some of the way.

RIP Mr Flood and a quick recovery to all injured.

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

Where does it say that one of the drivers had a British DL?

Far as I can see his wife, the driver, is a local.

A dozen people 11 from one vehicle and one from the other were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Trats Khao Saming district at around 5 am today, including 50-year-old Paul Flood, who later died of his wounds.

11 in a vehicle designed to carry maximum of 5. Obviously 6 were in the bed of the truck, with no seats, no seat belts and no safety.

Why write as if it was an unusual occurance? It is normal on Thai roads to see a pickup loaded with workers in the back, crammed in.

While it is obviously a tragedy every time innocent people die like this, if you are advocating the imposition of nanny state rules in Thailand I'm not with you. The lack of rules ( or rather the enforcement of ) is one of the reasons Thailand is as great a place to live as it is. Yes, there will be tragedies, but those happen even in the nanny states of the west.

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

Come on, modern cars have air-conditioning and you won't even notice the outside heat when driving. Also, have you heard of a sun visor? It's that thing you pull down so the sun doesn't get in your face, but when is that ever a problem anyway? Only for like 20 mins in the morning if driving east or 20 mins in the evening if driving west.

It makes much more sense to start driving early morning then arriving in the evening perhaps somewhere close to the ferry pier, or if you start early enough it might even be possible to arrive in Koh Chang the same day.

People shouldn't really be sitting in the back of a truck, especially not for a 12-hour journey. But even if they do, well they should cover their bodies to avoid sunburn.

No its not ridiculous, its frequently much safer to drive late at night in Thailand as there is much less traffic, especially heavy lorries that are banned in many places at night and despite the not infrequent driver with no/low lights, especially motorcycles, it is generally easier to see others overtaking around bends, etc. If you are driving in an area where you know there are animals like elephants you need to take special care, but there are many less stray dogs around now than there were 15/20 years ago.You still get the odd very slow lorry and the dreaded unlit farm carts, but these are normally encountered in the evening. The poor family that are the subject of this post were surely tired trying to get to the ferry and probably had swapped drivers several times their long journey. Typical of right turn accidents in many countries. Very Sorry for all the kids, but its the only way for many poor families to get a holiday by packing everyone into the pickup.

especially heavy lorries that are banned in many places at night

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I like driving at night, but the roads are full of trucks.

Thai roads are dangerous 24 hours a day.

You list only the pro's for driving at night but you seem to have ignored the con's . You need both to ascertain a balanced opinion.

Night driving incurs reduced visibility, drunk drivers, potholed roads, fatigue, eye strain and the myriad of idiots that fly around with no regard for others Better to be a few hours late in Koh Chang than many years early in the afterlife.

You list only the pro's for driving at night but you seem to have ignored the con's . You need both to ascertain a balanced opinion.

Night driving incurs reduced visibility, drunk drivers, potholed roads, fatigue, eye strain and the myriad of idiots that fly around with no regard for others Better to be a few hours late in Koh Chang than many years early in the afterlife.

Driving late at night reduces the chance of killing 5 kids on a m'bike when the driver enters the road at high speed without looking. That is my number one fear when driving on rural roads.

Also, if you run over a dog at night there is less chance of anyone seeing and claiming that the previously valueless mongrel has miraculously become worth 20,000.

Driving late at night reduces the chance of killing 5 kids on a m'bike when the driver enters the road at high speed without looking. That is my number one fear when driving on rural roads.

Also, if you run over a dog at night there is less chance of anyone seeing and claiming that the previously valueless mongrel has miraculously become worth 20,000.

The only dead kids I have seen ARE teenagers late at night!

If you run over a dog at any hour, you think anyone is gonna stop?

Has anyone EVER on here of heard of a ANY dog being run over and getting "stung" for it?

You obviously don't drive or ride that much around Thailand!

The only dead kids I have seen ARE teenagers late at night!

If you run over a dog at any hour, you think anyone is gonna stop?

Has anyone EVER on here of heard of a ANY dog being run over and getting "stung" for it?

You obviously don't drive or ride that much around Thailand!

YES. On the pages of TV actually. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before ranting.

RIP. Very sad, as his wife and children will be without a husband and father, respectively.

It will be difficult to determine fault for this accident, although the presumption is that Mrs. Flood is at fault, because she was turning right, and the other truck was proceeding straight ahead. The photos in the source linked article show that this is a broadside collision, not head-on, so no one was in the wrong lane. Mr. Wattana was probably speeding and Mrs. Flood probably violated his right of way, by turning right, when it wasn't safe to do so.

Mr Wattana probably flashed his lights as well which can be mistaken for I will let you go not, look out get out of my way!

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

Just yesterday I watched in horror and disbelief as a pickup truck overtook me on the crest of a notoriously dangerous hill because I had the sense and road discipline to wait behind a builders lorry until such time as it was clear and SAFE to overtake.

The fact that he got away with it was entirely down to luck & any amulets he might have had dangling in the windscreen. I caught the event on dashcam but as it's a daily occurrence I haven't bothered to upload.

They frankly scare the crap out of me!

Is there such a thing as a dash cam that turns on automatically should a vehicle run into your car when it is parked up? A couple of days ago my wife parked outside a shop only to come out and later find someone had scraped right down the side, goes without saying they did the decent thing and cleared off. I have cams all over the place but what use are they when the engine is not running? Incidentally a couple of phone calls to service managers in car dealerships told her not to tell the insurance company that someone ran into her car and run away but instead to say she hit the gate post exiting the house or else the insurance will not pay! 1st class insurance I might add.

Just yesterday I watched in horror and disbelief as a pickup truck overtook me on the crest of a notoriously dangerous hill because I had the sense and road discipline to wait behind a builders lorry until such time as it was clear and SAFE to overtake.

The fact that he got away with it was entirely down to luck & any amulets he might have had dangling in the windscreen. I caught the event on dashcam but as it's a daily occurrence I haven't bothered to upload.

They frankly scare the crap out of me!

Happens all the time when I drive long distance. They just can't wait a minute till it's safe.

However, they never have a collision- blind luck though.

A post containing comments on moderation has been removed. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

A dozen people 11 from one vehicle and one from the other were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Trats Khao Saming district at around 5 am today, including 50-year-old Paul Flood, who later died of his wounds.

11 in a vehicle designed to carry maximum of 5. Obviously 6 were in the bed of the truck, with no seats, no seat belts and no safety.

Why write as if it was an unusual occurance? It is normal on Thai roads to see a pickup loaded with workers in the back, crammed in.

While it is obviously a tragedy every time innocent people die like this, if you are advocating the imposition of nanny state rules in Thailand I'm not with you. The lack of rules ( or rather the enforcement of ) is one of the reasons Thailand is as great a place to live as it is. Yes, there will be tragedies, but those happen even in the nanny states of the west.

He was British, he should of known better. I don't have a dozen people in the back of my truck.

especially heavy lorries that are banned in many places at night

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I like driving at night, but the roads are full of trucks.

Thai roads are dangerous 24 hours a day.

Hello MiKT, there are actually MORE trucks driving at night, not less. Also, there is not much less traffic at night, especially not on the trunk routes. Ever been on Mittraphap highway up to Kaeng Khoi? There will always be a stream of trucks and buses crawling up what is not really a major incline at 30km/h and this causes major traffic woes. Even at 3am, there is as much traffic as at 9am or 3pm, there is really not much discernable difference. During holiday periods 1am tends to be a worse time to be travelling that road than 1pm! Only in Thailand hey!

While I try to avoid night time driving, many times have I found myself only getting to my destination around midnight (if I'm heading home) although if I'm stopping off along the way at a hotel I usually stop driving by 9 or 10pm. However, Thailand isn't that big so most of the time I manage to get to wherever I'm going in one day and arriving by early evening if I leave early enough that day. Typically I might drive to such places as Vientiane or Pakse in Laos in one day and they're no longer even in Thailand, so if that's possible, one should be able to reach most parts of Thailand in one day if you leave early enough, without needing to drive into the night.

And as far as elephants are concerned? LOL. Thailand has virtually no more wild elephants left. There are only a couple of places in Thailand I'd even be concerned about elephants: Khao Yai national park (now who would drive through there at night?!) and places like Sangkhlaburi near the Burmese border in Kanchanaburi. But the elephants there are no longer wild, they are domesticated and are used as work machines. So while you might find one or two along the road during the day, they will be working alongside their mahouts, but make a good photo op.

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

So true...

Just no concept of spacial awareness or other peoples safety...

Both this attitude and a multitude of others are why this is my last year in Thailand... I am becoming jaded by the place...

Just as a matter of curiosity, how long have you had to endure this $hithole?

Why would anybody with an attitude toward Thailand like yours, stay here? Many of us love it here. Many of us have great lives here. Many of us have amazing Thai wives. Many of us feel really good about our lives when we wake up in the morning, and are glad we are here when we go to bed at night. Might I suggest some laxatives? Or a cleansing diet of some sort? Or just a good old fashioned attitude adjustment? But by God, do something. Spare us your inane diatribes. We don't need to hear it.

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

So true...

Just no concept of spacial awareness or other peoples safety...

Both this attitude and a multitude of others are why this is my last year in Thailand... I am becoming jaded by the place...

Just as a matter of curiosity, how long have you had to endure this $hithole?

Why would anybody with an attitude toward Thailand like yours, stay here? Many of us love it here. Many of us have great lives here. Many of us have amazing Thai wives. Many of us feel really good about our lives when we wake up in the morning, and are glad we are here when we go to bed at night. Might I suggest some laxatives? Or a cleansing diet of some sort? Or just a good old fashioned attitude adjustment? But by God, do something. Spare us your inane diatribes. We don't need to hear it.

He is just saying how he feels, he has some valid points....

If you are happy that's great, pleased for you....

This is the tragic story of an error of judgement by the driver of the vehicle the deceased was travelling in, and I am seeing it turn into a judgement of Thai driving with comments on running red lights etc. The driver admitted to an error and the other party stated he tried to brake and take evasive action.

You don't need to bash the Thais on this story, there will be more opportunities in other road trauma stories.

If training to be a pilot, you will be taught that almost all "accidents" begin earlier with an error in judgement. Someone made a decision to do something that terminated at the point of impact.

The error could be trying to carry too heavy a load beyond the design limits of the plane. It could be failing to designate a place to stop for fuel, believing/hoping there would be enough. It could be that the pilot didn't get enough sleep. It could have started the night before with drinking. It could have been a lot of things.

I have come to believe that there are few if any pure traffic accidents that couldn't have been avoided by making better decisions earlier.

There is no such thing as an "accident"- and although it is easy to blame one party, the truth is that often the other party's lack of ability, reactions, observation or judgement often contributes.

Blame is never 100% attributable only a majority....

i never knew that before...

Thank you..