Retirement: Thailand vs Spain

TIMMMMM

Have to agree with this. I cannot understand the fuss over getting some free greasy hors d'oeuvres while drinking in Spain. The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. I prefer to drink quality stuff, and eat quality food....giving a fancy name like "tapas" to bar snacks does not improve the taste....

and people talking about moving to Spain, just so they can get a free bar snack, boggles the mind!

can not figure out why tapas is such a big deal, in our village you drink in the bar you get free munchies,a couple of kms away in the urbanisation bars you pay for them ,whats the big deal,last free chop I got in Thailand was a serving of somtam in Amnat when Istopped to help pull a car out of the paddy and was invited to their home, this was before the road was tarmacked,spain will do for now for us!!

Edited by zurgos

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with this. I cannot understand the fuss over getting some free greasy hors d'oeuvres while drinking.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. I prefer to drink quality stuff, and eat quality food....giving a fancy name like "tapas" to bar snacks does not improve the taste....

and people talking about moving somewhere, just so they can get a free bar snack, boggles the mind!

can not figure out why tapas is such a big deal, in our village you drink in the bar you get free munchies,a couple of kms away in the urbanisation bars you pay for them ,whats the big deal,last free chop I got in Thailand was a serving of somtam in Amnat when Istopped to help pull a car out of the paddy and was invited to their home, this was before the road was tarmacked,spain will do for now for us!!

I think the only ones exaggerating here are those that keep bringing up the Tapas subject, and claim that this is the only thing this thread is about.

A lot has changed in Spain - Portugal in the past 10 years, and same as in Thailand, not for the better.

I have friends who live in Spain as long as I live in Thailand, so I'm quite well informed about what has changed.

Edited by Anthony5

In Spain, tapas are given in gratitude for patrons imbibing alcohol. There is no charge, and there is no hidden charge in the alcohol.

And the food can be quite amazing. Beats the hell out of stale peanuts that strangers have dragged their fingers through.

I think this states that Tapas may be free in selected parts of Spain, but not necessary, and for sure not in all of Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapas

In Andalucia and certain places in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León, Asturias, Extremadura, when one goes to a bar and orders a drink, often a tapa will be served with it for free. As a drink, it is usual to ask for a caña (small beer), a chato (glass of wine) or a mosto (grape juice). In several cities, entire zones are dedicated to tapas bars, each one serving its own unique dish. In León, one can find the Barrio Húmedo, in Logroño Calle Laurel and in Burgos Calle de la Sombrerería and Calle de San Lorenzo.

Sometimes, especially in northern Spain, they are also called pinchos (pintxos in Basque) in Asturias, in Navarre, in La Rioja (Spain), the Basque Country, Cantabria and in some provinces, such as Salamanca, because many of them have a pincho or toothpick through them. The toothpick is used to keep whatever the snack is made of from falling off the slice of bread and to keep track of the number of tapas the customer has eaten. Differently priced tapas have different shapes or have toothpicks of different sizes. The price of a single tapa ranges from one to two euros.

Wouldn't know what the article says, I don't read Wikipedia.

Instead, I actually spend time in Spain, and so far the tapas have been gratis.

I think that should read spenT then, and better you read up a bit on Wiki, because in the past 8 years after your holiday things have changed in the PIIGS countries.

Yes, I spent time there. And when you can give me a first-hand report in a non-superior manner, such as Craig and Naam do, then I'd be happy to listen to your experiences.

But repeating what you've read on Wikipedia is of no interest.

And here's something worth noting: I'm not in a contest with you.

If you're going to look at the cost of barsnacks as an indicator of whether a place is a good retirement venue - then I reckon you have issues you should deal with before moving wink.png

I've not seen much comment about the current cost of car fuel, annual car and property taxes, electricity, etc.....

Edited by jpinx

I think that should read spenT then, and better you read up a bit on Wiki, because in the past 8 years after your holiday things have changed in the PIIGS countries.

Yes, I spent time there. And when you can give me a first-hand report in a non-superior manner, such as Craig and Naam do, then I'd be happy to listen to your experiences.

But repeating what you've read on Wikipedia is of no interest.

And here's something worth noting: I'm not in a contest with you.

Of course Wikipedia is of no interest to you, because you know everything so much better. NOT

Craig has pointed out to you already that you're WRONG, and Naam also hinted in his comment that things may have changed.

Now would you believe that I as a European citizen, probably have spent more time in Spain and other South European countries, than you ever will? So lucky we're not in a contest, because you would have no chance in that one.

I suspect that the SPEND in your reply to my post was a deliberate spelling mistake.

We were 5 days in Madrid. 15 days overall traveling around Madrid and south. Our second trip to Spain. Free tapas were quite rare in the central part of Madrid. Easier to find in the suburbs and in smaller towns. But not in the CBD of Madrid!

Enjoyed free ones in Granada, but nowhere near as good as the high end ones we had in Madrid. They were spectacular.

Have you been to this building in Madrid? Bar after bar serving great wine and tapas. Absolutely fantastic. But not free. As you can see, it was packed.

Thank God that's settled! Anyone know the best deal to Granada? Oh and must have free snacks in coach.

Anybody searching this thread will be seriously considering a move there (Spain) The days of retired expat languishing in Thailand are rapidly coming to a close with early retirements,slashed pensions coming to a rapid end ,and the coming Chinese hoard ,making it feel more and more uncomfortable.

Am making a couple or three journeys over there in the next 6 months,sound various regions out,think I may have isolated a couple of locations using that other web site expatforum.com

Del Sol too expensive for me,Torreveja bit like glorified Blackpool,but those houses up for rent/buying etc good first base to rent 6 to 12 months while a search is under way. Got three mutts too,one in all in I guess

More of a structured life,clean,your own kith and kin,clubs and social activities,plus no worries about health care

LOL....could the Spain-bound Tapas-chasers become the modern day equivalent of the legendary Balloon Chasers.....partytime2.gif

Have to agree with this. I cannot understand the fuss over getting some free greasy hors d'oeuvres while drinking in Spain. The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. I prefer to drink quality stuff, and eat quality food....giving a fancy name like "tapas" to bar snacks does not improve the taste....

and people talking about moving to Spain, just so they can get a free bar snack, boggles the mind!

\

Edited by tailspin

1) In Spain the cultural fare is far more interesting: art, music, theatre, architecture, etc, etc are some of the best in the world, and far superior to the dummy arts that you find in Thailand.

2) You can have damn good conversations and fruitful discussions with Spaniards, things which are extremely rare in Thailand.

3) In Spain, many kinds of alcohol and especially wine are far cheaper and far easier to find than in Thailand.

Those are the three things that come immediately to mind. I'd move to Spain if I could afford it, but I can't.

If you avoid the obvious tourist spots then Spain is cheaper than Thailand. Meals out are more expensive but wine is far cheaper ( I get a very decent wine from the Bodega for about 1.20 euro / 45 bht) Many Spanish people think my Thai wife is Spanish and always speak to her in Spanish, much to my pleasure as she doesn't speak a word of their language. My wife is a British passport holder so we get all the benefits of EU citizenship. They do get cold weather in the winter - it was wet and only 4c when we were there in February but just a week later it was 23c. The infrastructure is first class (paid for by EU grants) trains, boats, buses, motorways/freeways and airports. The schools are also very good. I also feel much safer on a ferry in Spain than Thailand.

The bottom line for me though is that my wife wants to be near her family sad.png so Adiós España and Hola Tailandia.

As an Spaniard I have the same problem i would rather be in Spain but my wife wants to be near her mom :( I think that for Brits , Scots , Welsh and Irish Spain scores a lot of points over Thailand, specially when you take into consideration that like people from the UK very much.

1) In Spain the cultural fare is far more interesting: art, music, theatre, architecture, etc, etc are some of the best in the world, and far superior to the dummy arts that you find in Thailand.

2) You can have damn good conversations and fruitful discussions with Spaniards, things which are extremely rare in Thailand.

3) In Spain, many kinds of alcohol and especially wine are far cheaper and far easier to find than in Thailand.

Those are the three things that come immediately to mind. I'd move to Spain if I could afford it, but I can't.

If you avoid the obvious tourist spots then Spain is cheaper than Thailand. Meals out are more expensive but wine is far cheaper ( I get a very decent wine from the Bodega for about 1.20 euro / 45 bht) Many Spanish people think my Thai wife is Spanish and always speak to her in Spanish, much to my pleasure as she doesn't speak a word of their language. My wife is a British passport holder so we get all the benefits of EU citizenship. They do get cold weather in the winter - it was wet and only 4c when we were there in February but just a week later it was 23c. The infrastructure is first class (paid for by EU grants) trains, boats, buses, motorways/freeways and airports. The schools are also very good. I also feel much safer on a ferry in Spain than Thailand.

The bottom line for me though is that my wife wants to be near her family sad.png so Adiós España and Hola Tailandia.

I'm finding the older I get, the less I can handle cold weather. Use to not bother me at all. Just got back from a trip across Eastern Europe. A few times, I was chilled to the bone. Rainy, windy, cold. Just no fun. This was in mid-June to early July.

I'm finding the older I get, the less I can handle cold weather. Use to not bother me at all. Just got back from a trip across Eastern Europe. A few times, I was chilled to the bone. Rainy, windy, cold. Just no fun. This was in mid-June to early July.

Well it's bloody freezing in Auckland but I can see how this place could appeal to UK retirees as it seems to have everything that's great about the UK without (most of) the stuff that's bad...

Expensive & no idea what a resident visa would entail but 6 (summer) months here & 6 months in SEA sounds great to me [emoji106]

Edited by JB300

Thailand has a real low bottom end that you can delve around in if you really want to experiment. By that, I mean very, very cheap and very low standard. You name it, it is there. Accommodation for under 1000 Baht a month, a meal for 20 Baht, vehicle insurance free (no need), 500 kms bus trip under 500 Baht.

It is there because it corresponds to the incomes of unskilled workers, agricultural workers, etc.

This bottom end either doesn't exist or is very hard to find in EU countries because of legislation, regulation and the welfare system meaning families don't live on 100 Euros a month.

So, if you want cheap in Thailand, you can find it.

Thailand has a real low bottom end that you can delve around in if you really want to experiment. By that, I mean very, very cheap and very low standard. You name it, it is there. Accommodation for under 1000 Baht a month, a meal for 20 Baht, vehicle insurance free (no need), 500 kms bus trip under 500 Baht.

It is there because it corresponds to the incomes of unskilled workers, agricultural workers, etc.

This bottom end either doesn't exist or is very hard to find in EU countries because of legislation, regulation and the welfare system meaning families don't live on 100 Euros a month.

So, if you want cheap in Thailand, you can find it.

Every country has an arse end. The difference with thailand is that you can do it safely and with little risk to your life. In most countries you cant go there because you would be stabbed or beaten or violated on the arse end.

There were apt blocks near my mansion in cm going for $60 us a month and they were clean and safe. But you have to know how to wipe your own arse and live like a man, not a baby.

Arse end bugaloo...

Edited by fey

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

I guess where you use to go when you visit spain, what is sure I have seen a lot of mustaches here in thailand and not only mustaches, hairy legs too

I doubt that a BRexit would go so far as to stop somebody from the UK being able to settle in Spain but worth keeping an eye on in case any "Gotchas" (Frozen Pensions? Access to Health Care?) comes out of it...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/17/dual-nationality-passports-eu-migrants-fear-brexit-european-union-referendum

Edited by JB300

amazing empty motorways... those roads were fantastic in Malaga... totally blown away by them... we had the whole motorway to ourselfs - guess there is no money for petrol for the people who live there (actually, it was on the way to the Alhambra from Morro - that streach was dead... closer to Malaga was pretty normal)

I left a tip in a bar, the barmaids eyes lit up... felt like she had not seen a tip in a long time - in Thailand, you get daggers if you decide not to leave a tip.

Edited by nickmanchester2

how about "ONLY IN SPAIN" they built a motorway parellel to the busy dual carriageway, but the motorway is tolled, i could look at an empty motorway as the spanish would not pay the tolls,also i could come from the airport via the motorway and just before the toll there was an exit, (who thought that one up) so everyone uses the motorway and comes off just before the toll booths.

The only problem with Spain is taxes , especially if you want to retire there and own a house , on a 500,000 euro house you have to add 14% registration and various other charges , that is around 70,000 Euro. In Thailand you only pay 2% to register a condo in your name.

In Spain you have to pay real estate tax of at least 7,000 euro yearly on a 570,000 euro house , in Thailand there is no yearly tax on condos .

In addition to income tax , and other types of taxes that are not available in Thailand .

So if taxes are not an issue of course living in Barcelona and watching Messi and co play every week is the better option.

The only problem with Spain is taxes , especially if you want to retire there and own a house , on a 500,000 euro house you have to add 14% registration and various other charges , that is around 70,000 Euro. In Thailand you only pay 2% to register a condo in your name.

In Spain you have to pay real estate tax of at least 7,000 euro yearly on a 570,000 euro house , in Thailand there is no yearly tax on condos .

In addition to income tax , and other types of taxes that are not available in Thailand .

So if taxes are not an issue of course living in Barcelona and watching Messi and co play every week is the better option.

How does that saying go" if after 60 never buy anything"....rents are way down pound for pound in most areas in Spain over Thailand's