Modifications to Toyota Vigo for deep-water driving

simon43

Isn't the stock breather on top of the engine?

I would be more concerned with the tail pipe, which should be a cheap fix.

A lift kit would help as well, but the snorkel seems a little silly to me.

Air inlet is off to the side of the engine sorta behind the headlight, the contraption ontop of the engine is the intercooler and it is sealed.

Exhaust needs nothing done to it unless you plan on turning the engine off whilst in deep water and only then as some believe turning the engine off in deep water will suck water back up through the exhaust.

A snorkel is 100% the best and first mod to do if deep water is likely.

I guess I should have said in the top of the engine compartment.

Regardless, by the time water gets in it, the vehicle is floating or more likely sinking.

Why ?

I'd say plenty of Pre-runner vigo's coped quiet well in the big bangkok floods with nothing more than a snorkel.

So did Toyota Taxis

Isn't the stock breather on top of the engine?

I would be more concerned with the tail pipe, which should be a cheap fix.

A lift kit would help as well, but the snorkel seems a little silly to me.

Air inlet is off to the side of the engine sorta behind the headlight, the contraption ontop of the engine is the intercooler and it is sealed.

Exhaust needs nothing done to it unless you plan on turning the engine off whilst in deep water and only then as some believe turning the engine off in deep water will suck water back up through the exhaust.

A snorkel is 100% the best and first mod to do if deep water is likely.

I guess I should have said in the top of the engine compartment.

Regardless, by the time water gets in it, the vehicle is floating or more likely sinking.

Why ?

I'd say plenty of Pre-runner vigo's coped quiet well in the big bangkok floods with nothing more than a snorkel.

As did many without the snorkel.

Yep, the common sense hat fits me rather well... cannot say the same for some of the other members that post here though as they seem to have the childish hat glued to their head.

Edited by Don Mega

Right now, the water is rather deep. One sensible suggestion from Mr Google was to install a splash cover at the front of te car, to reduce the amount of water being splashed into the engine compartment.

post-174-0-55825600-1439358012_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the op will update us with the final outcome?

Sorry for this late reply.

The flood waters receded, helped by the army and OrBorTor digging new flood canals to allow the twater to drain away.

My Vigo survived very well, driving through 1 metre flood water without any problems, not even much water coming in through the door seals. The plastic sheet stopped water coming into the engine compartment and there were no temperature issues.

So now, before the next floods, I need to add a snorkel.