Military junta now chases progress in stripping of Thaksin’s police rank

Lite Beer

Uncle Rubl...it is understood by everyone that Thaksin was convicted and has fled. There is no need to preface every comment about him with 'criminal fugitive'. You have made that point 3 or 400 times already.

It is almost as if it is a phrase that some posters have been instructed to include with boring monotony as a brainwashing technique...

Nope - just appropriate and true adjectives.

But of course, you'd much prefer that no one was aloud to use them.

Back that up or I call libel.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The economy is in tatters and this is their priority. Speaks ugly volumes.

Governments have to, need to multi-task. Can't just focus on one item. That's what cost PTP, focusing on just one item, a contrived amnesty and whitewash for their owner.

This is a simple enough thing surely. They either strip or don't. But, the current about to retire enormously wealthy incumbent COP seems unwilling to decide preferring to prevaricate. Any ideas why?

I agree with you. It's not a zero sum game.

But I also agree with Snig, the focus on trivial BS speaks volumes.

(It's not a zero sum game... thumbsup.gif )

BTW, the speculation on the current top cop... not sure - I really don't think that he's afraid of Thaksin ... but then maybe we all agree this is not an important issue.

The comments here condemning even the though of removing the police rank from our most favourite criminal fugitive seems to indicate that it's important to do so.

Oh, by the way, 'focus' ? If the current government really wanted they could bypass all laws and just make a statement that said criminal fugitive had been stripped from his police rank effective the date of his conviction minus one month. Any further privileges pertaining a police rank to be stripped as well.

So, thanks to this blasted government we follow the laws and have to wait a bit more.

Uncle Rubl...it is understood by everyone that Thaksin was convicted and has fled. There is no need to preface every comment about him with 'criminal fugitive'. You have made that point 3 or 400 times already.

Terribly sorry and all that, my dear chap. Seeing all comments the last few days I'm afraid the point has not been made yet. Obviously my failure and I promise to continue trying to bring the point across that we are talking about a criminal fugitive who still holds his police rank.

Oh deflection deflection i find 500 millions stolen by a few people a lot. Ok it pales by the 600 billion YL wasted but i still feel its a lot of money. Give me some examples of corruption cases being investigated done during YL her time please because with the general there is action new laws and such but I cant recall YL doing anything positive about it except wanting 25.000 corruption cases under the amnesty and cutting 50% of the funding of anti corruption agencies.

Now your asking about the general.. the same can be said about all the politicians (Think Abisith and Korn are clean though). I just see Prayut as a lesser evil as the PTP.

Now If I am forced to clean up a mess someone else made (what did YL do about this ?) I should get praise for it as I did not create the mess but I am taking all the bad press for it.

But the news I posted also proved they could go after Thaksin and after corruption at the same time, so my original response was right.

Whether the present regime is a lesser evil than the PTP remains to be seen. My personal feeling is that it's not. At least the last government was elected by a majority of the voters. They were then overthrown by Uncle Too and he now wields absolute power. But with absolute power comes absolute responsibility, something that seems lost on the guy.

By all means go ahead and strip Thaksin of his police rank (although I think he fits in rather nicely with the BIB), but please don't say that there is a lot of progress in the "fight" against corruption. If this was a serious endeavor the the guy(s) on the top would have to open all their books first, and then a serious effort could be made. Anything else is just window dressing.

I am saying more progress is made and so far you havent come up with anything to counter this.

- YL cut the budget of anti corruption agency with 50% (i would say that shows something)

- YL wanted 26.000 cases off corruption to fall under the amnesty

Just those two things are a sure sign of going backwards.

Now under the junta we regularly see people getting caught for corruption, I havent seen you bring up any arguments or examples of the same happening under YL. So so far your a lot of hot air but no facts.

That a government is elected does not make them good, but the man with the funny mustache was ellected in Germany (and no I don't say that YL and Thaksin are that bad) just showing that elections are not the measurement of democracy. Its one part of a democracy but by itself does not say much. The previous government was anything but democratic in my view how they threatened the opposition with jail for exposing the rice scam, how they persecuted government officials that came out with bad figures. That is not a thing a democratic government does, its open and accountable.. two words that don't suit the PTP.

So does that make the general good.. no just less evil, and if Thaksin his amnesty was not included he would not even be in power. So who is to blame.

Why would I counter your statement that YL did less to fight corruption? YL did absolutely nothing to fight neither corruption nor trafficking. My point is that you can't make real progress unless you start at the top, and we all know that's not going to happen so whatever "fight" against corruption is taking place today is just so much window dressing.

When you overthrow a legally elected government (and, yes, we all know it was hideously inept and corrupt), suspend the constitution and invoke articles that make you all powerful - all in the name of the country - then by Buddha you better deliver the goods, and that simply isn't happening.

Your posts are balanced and points well made. I agree with your sentiments. The one error is in stating PTP were elected by a majority of the voters is incorrect. They received the largest minority and were asked to form a government on that basis. That large minority of votes actually translated into a massive majority of seats in parliament. That's is where people often get the idea a clear majority voted for them, which wasn't the case.

PTP certainly did nothing to fight corruption of tackle trafficking despite YL being on record stating there was no corruption in her government and that her government made in roads on the trafficking problems. Lies as usual. Having removed a failing caretaker government the onus was and is on the Junta to deliver the promised reforms including a clean up.

The rank issue is neither here or there. The law at the time was clear in dealing with convicted police and their rank. The police, who we all know, are heavily pro Shin, did nothing about it. The current COP has tried his best to do nothing and having tried to wriggle out then tried ignoring it. This is more a battle of wills - the government trying to force the police to follow and enforce the law. The police do not want to do something to a major patron whose clan may be in a position of power again sometime.

They are oblivious to how this makes them look to the outside world. But when you look at how Koh Tao, the Karronwit gun fiasco, the Billionaire unusual death and share transfer, the Blue Diamond, various unsolved missing and murdered people cases, it's obvious they don't actually give a shit what anyone thinks and want to do as they please as they always have.

Thanksin is a criminal... one that causes a lot of trouble so stripping his rank is only just and for those that say it wont hurt him or that he has enough money. True.. but its not about money for him or else he would have stayed out of politics now and kept quiet after he ran from his convictions like a coward.

Thaksin is the elected Prime Minister of Thailand.

If they ever have another election, he will be elected again, either in person or by proxy.

I'm looking forward to the next election!

It is almost as if it is a phrase that some posters have been instructed to include with boring monotony as a brainwashing technique...

Interesting, do you want to use the defamation law of Thailand?

So, more obfuscation in the move to have the Justice Department look into stripping the police rank of a criminal fugitive. Seems to hurt a lot.

You're not normally stupid?

Thaksin was convicted by a Thai court, chose to flee before sentencing despite his vow not to, was sentenced and has never been back since. He also faces numerous outstanding warrants for serious charges awaiting his return or the statute of limitations.

Conviction and sentenced to imprisonment = criminal.

Running away and refusing to come back = fugitive.

Criminal + fugitive = criminal fugitive.

You might not like those facts, consider them fair or pretend it's all an illusion - but that's of no consequence.

No, I'll call your libel and raise you a defamation.

Yesterday they sentenced a woman of two kids, who was under 30 , to 28 years for article 112.

Priorities indeed!!

Yes they did, and rightly so. What is it with Thai people who have the propensity to break this law.

The LAW is clearly written, and each and every Thai are fully aware of the law & it's consequences, so why does a very

small segment of the population go out of their way to purposely break the law, knowing full well that it will most likely result in a lengthy prison sentence?

I suppose it is a case of "No Common Sense", after all any sane person would avoid committing such a crime, and especially one with absolutely

no personal gain, financially or otherwise.

It just does not make any sense, yet hundreds of Thais (out of almost 70 Million) seem bent on doing it.

So when the hammer comes down on them, nobody should feel sorry, as they went out of their way to purposely break this law.

you apparently don't understand LM in Thailand.

It is a tool of oppression and human rights abuse masquerading as a "law".

I was not debating wether it is a just law or not, however it is the law, so why, given the drastic consequences, do some Thais continue to flaunt it?

Are they really in need of attention, are they mentally deficient, or is there some other valid reason, that I may have overlooked, to justify their actions?

The bottom line is, those who do not agree with the law (and I am sure that there are many) should use the system in place, to try to change it, just as they must do with any other law that they do not agree with.

It does seem like quite an easy one to comply with, though, and almost everybody does comply, so again, why would anyone choose to deliberately flaunt it?

There is ZERO potential upside in doing so.

Thanksin is a criminal... one that causes a lot of trouble so stripping his rank is only just and for those that say it wont hurt him or that he has enough money. True.. but its not about money for him or else he would have stayed out of politics now and kept quiet after he ran from his convictions like a coward.

If they ever have another election, he will be elected again, either in person or by proxy.

Thaksin WAS the elected PM of Thailand.

If there are elections again Thaksin will not participate being a criminal fugitive.

A proxy will be undemocratic and unlawful.

In the mean time the Justice Department is asked to look into the 'why isn't Thaksin stripped of his police rank yet' case.

Are you serious or simply deranged?

He was once the PM and dissolved parliament, later resigning from the caretaker position.

So when was he re-elected?

"Whichever group leads the pack when the transition has been completed will have dibs on the trough for decades."

Shocking! You seem to include Thaksin the Saviour and his democratically elected government as well.

Where are reforms when you need them?

Anyway, the RTP still hesitant to take the rank of a criminal fugitive. Maybe some can easily see themselves in similar position?

So why don't the reformers do something about it............not to mention the other high profile police issues recently which have been conveniently ignored by the reformers in the NCPO. TS police rank is far more important haha A guy out of the country for the thick end of 8 years and that is the most important thing for them to deal with....

Well, I doubt it the most important thing for them. It's just one of those things and the thing that seems to annoy some posters the most.

Taking the Police Rank from a criminal fugitive though is obviously not important, at least not important enough to wave a magic wand

I doubt anyone in here gives a toss whether he losses his rank at all, and i don't see many posts arguing that it would not be appropriate to for him to lose his rank. The overall comments seem to be are there not more important things to be doing?

Baerboxer - you accused me of preferring no-one is allowed to use the phrase 'Convicted criminal fugitive' without a shred of evidence that I would wish to deprive others of their freedom of speech. I find this grossly offensive.

Show me where I have attempted to stifle free speech or I still call libel.

"Whichever group leads the pack when the transition has been completed will have dibs on the trough for decades."

Shocking! You seem to include Thaksin the Saviour and his democratically elected government as well.

Anyway, the RTP still hesitant to take the rank of a criminal fugitive. Maybe some can easily see themselves in similar position?

So why don't the reformers do something about it............not to mention the other high profile police issues recently which have been conveniently ignored by the reformers in the NCPO. TS police rank is far more important haha A guy out of the country for the thick end of 8 years and that is the most important thing for them to deal with....

Well, I doubt it the most important thing for them. It's just one of those things and the thing that seems to annoy some posters the most.

Taking the Police Rank from a criminal fugitive though is obviously not important, at least not important enough to wave a magic wand

I doubt anyone in here gives a toss whether he losses his rank at all, and i don't see many posts arguing that it would not be appropriate to for him to lose his rank. The overall comments seem to be are there not more important things to be doing?

And as everyone has pointed out, governments can multitask. They have many people doing many things. One red poster even insinuated that the government should look at the economy. While I agree, that is a different part of the government that goes over the economy.

In general governments in most countries can do more as one thing at a time and this was something that should have been done long ago.

It says it all that there is even a debate about stripping a police rank from a convicted criminal who chose to run and become a fugitive from justice; his conviction and outstanding charges.

It's just another example of something blatantly wrong and corrupt that no previous government bothered to do anything about.

Once a copper, always a copper. Like the Mason's or maybe the Mafia would be a better comparison.

I agree so why don't they do something about it... The reform of the police goes way way way beyond TS still having a police rank, there are probably hundreds of convicted police both active/retired police still holding ranks. I just do think on the grand scale of reform needed in the police that being bothered about someone still holding a rank, ranks anywhere high on the importance scale of the issues they have. On any level what difference does it make to anyone whether he still holds any rank. He is outside the country, unlikely to ever come back- and i doubt anyone until this thing came up gave a flying <deleted> whether he had any rank or not, it literally makes zero difference to anything.

Elected Governments (and military ones) have continuously failed to do anything about corruption and the police, but lets not pretend that they would actually be able to do anything about it, should they want to remain in power. The NCPO do have the power, but they are moving so slowly on police reform, if at all, that leads some to question whether they have any appetite to even try. If the NCPO cannot do anything about it with the powers they have, to expect a civilian Govt to even try is unlikely in the extreme.

They'd need to sack most of the current officers and start again. New rules, standards, training, qualifications, merit based promotions, actually doing the job etc etc.

If any government manages to reform the police then other "organizations" would know they might be next. That makes it very unlikely to happen.

maybe he will switch now to use the term "political exile"...

Not... biggrin.png

Which term would more accurately describe a convicted criminal escaping incarceration and avoiding prosecution on quite a few more serious charges?

A political exile could return when a friendly government takes office, and how much friendlier can a government be than his own bought and paid for MPs and his sister as PM? That wasn't enough, he needed an amnesty for his crimes, and theirs - an amnesty decried by everybody but those receiving direct monthly payments.

Edited by halloween

And as everyone has pointed out, governments can multitask. They have many people doing many things. One red poster even insinuated that the government should look at the economy. While I agree, that is a different part of the government that goes over the economy.

In general governments in most countries can do more as one thing at a time and this was something that should have been done long ago.

Interesting your attitude on Govts multitasking now. I am sure you were equally philisopihical on multi tasking when the FM was issuing TS a passport when the floods were on......

Would be interesting to look at some of your old posts and be shocked how your position on this has changed with change in Government

Interesting your attitude on Govts multitasking now. I am sure you were equally philisopihical on multi tasking when the FM was issuing TS a passport when the floods were on......

Would be interesting to look at some of your old posts and be shocked how your position on this has changed with change in Government

Interesting that you bring up the illegal issuing of a passport to a criminal fugitive into the discussion.

No need, said illegal issued passport has been revoked already. Was easy, no police involved.

Baerboxer - you accused me of preferring no-one is allowed to use the phrase 'Convicted criminal fugitive' without a shred of evidence that I would wish to deprive others of their freedom of speech. I find this grossly offensive.

You insinuate that posters who use the term convicted criminal fugitive may be instructed to do so, without a shred of evidence to support your insinuation. Implying it may be some form of brainwashing.

Unless you'd like to provide evidence to the contrary, pure speculation on your part.

I find that accusation grossly offensive too and speculate it may be made in an attempt to persuade them to desist.

Edited by Baerboxer

maybe he will switch now to use the term "political exile"...

Not... biggrin.png

Which term would more accurately describe a convicted criminal escaping incarceration and avoiding prosecution on quite a few more serious charges?

A political exile could return when a friendly government takes office, and how much friendlier can a government be than his own bought and paid for MPs and his sister as PM? That wasn't enough, he needed an amnesty for his crimes, and theirs - an amnesty decried by everybody but those receiving direct monthly payments.

Yes, because it was only under PTP rule that the rulers of the day tried to give themselves an amnesty. Hey, wait a minute! Didn't I just hear about a country where the elected government was overthrown, the constitution torn up and the new rulers gave themselves an amnesty??

Hold on - trying to remember the name of that country.....coffee1.gif

Whether the present regime is a lesser evil than the PTP remains to be seen. My personal feeling is that it's not. At least the last government was elected by a majority of the voters. They were then overthrown by Uncle Too and he now wields absolute power. But with absolute power comes absolute responsibility, something that seems lost on the guy.

By all means go ahead and strip Thaksin of his police rank (although I think he fits in rather nicely with the BIB), but please don't say that there is a lot of progress in the "fight" against corruption. If this was a serious endeavor the the guy(s) on the top would have to open all their books first, and then a serious effort could be made. Anything else is just window dressing.

I am saying more progress is made and so far you havent come up with anything to counter this.

- YL cut the budget of anti corruption agency with 50% (i would say that shows something)

- YL wanted 26.000 cases off corruption to fall under the amnesty

Just those two things are a sure sign of going backwards.

Now under the junta we regularly see people getting caught for corruption, I havent seen you bring up any arguments or examples of the same happening under YL. So so far your a lot of hot air but no facts.

That a government is elected does not make them good, but the man with the funny mustache was ellected in Germany (and no I don't say that YL and Thaksin are that bad) just showing that elections are not the measurement of democracy. Its one part of a democracy but by itself does not say much. The previous government was anything but democratic in my view how they threatened the opposition with jail for exposing the rice scam, how they persecuted government officials that came out with bad figures. That is not a thing a democratic government does, its open and accountable.. two words that don't suit the PTP.

So does that make the general good.. no just less evil, and if Thaksin his amnesty was not included he would not even be in power. So who is to blame.

Why would I counter your statement that YL did less to fight corruption? YL did absolutely nothing to fight neither corruption nor trafficking. My point is that you can't make real progress unless you start at the top, and we all know that's not going to happen so whatever "fight" against corruption is taking place today is just so much window dressing.

When you overthrow a legally elected government (and, yes, we all know it was hideously inept and corrupt), suspend the constitution and invoke articles that make you all powerful - all in the name of the country - then by Buddha you better deliver the goods, and that simply isn't happening.

Your posts are balanced and points well made. I agree with your sentiments. The one error is in stating PTP were elected by a majority of the voters is incorrect. They received the largest minority and were asked to form a government on that basis. That large minority of votes actually translated into a massive majority of seats in parliament. That's is where people often get the idea a clear majority voted for them, which wasn't the case.

PTP certainly did nothing to fight corruption of tackle trafficking despite YL being on record stating there was no corruption in her government and that her government made in roads on the trafficking problems. Lies as usual. Having removed a failing caretaker government the onus was and is on the Junta to deliver the promised reforms including a clean up.

The rank issue is neither here or there. The law at the time was clear in dealing with convicted police and their rank. The police, who we all know, are heavily pro Shin, did nothing about it. The current COP has tried his best to do nothing and having tried to wriggle out then tried ignoring it. This is more a battle of wills - the government trying to force the police to follow and enforce the law. The police do not want to do something to a major patron whose clan may be in a position of power again sometime.

They are oblivious to how this makes them look to the outside world. But when you look at how Koh Tao, the Karronwit gun fiasco, the Billionaire unusual death and share transfer, the Blue Diamond, various unsolved missing and murdered people cases, it's obvious they don't actually give a shit what anyone thinks and want to do as they please as they always have.

"The one error is in stating PTP were elected by a majority of the voters is incorrect. They received the largest minority and were asked to form a government on that basis."

This is nitpicking. The PTP received most of the votes and on that basis formed a government. This is exactly how it is done in every democracy.

As far as the BIB go a complete reform/reset of the whole organization is one of the biggest and most important issues Thailand is facing, and yet Uncle Too leaves this for the next elected government??

He is all powerful due to article 44 and he doesn't want to do it? Anyone who does not find that worthy of criticism has completely lost it.

Well, Baboon, you have clearly been in Thailand long enough to think like a Thai. Why not sue someone?

Yesterday they sentenced a woman of two kids, who was under 30 , to 28 years for article 112.

Priorities indeed!!

Yes they did, and rightly so. What is it with Thai people who have the propensity to break this law.

The LAW is clearly written, and each and every Thai are fully aware of the law & it's consequences, so why does a very

small segment of the population go out of their way to purposely break the law, knowing full well that it will most likely result in a lengthy prison sentence?

I suppose it is a case of "No Common Sense", after all any sane person would avoid committing such a crime, and especially one with absolutely

no personal gain, financially or otherwise.

It just does not make any sense, yet hundreds of Thais (out of almost 70 Million) seem bent on doing it.

So when the hammer comes down on them, nobody should feel sorry, as they went out of their way to purposely break this law.

you apparently don't understand LM in Thailand.

It is a tool of oppression and human rights abuse masquerading as a "law".

I was not debating wether it is a just law or not, however it is the law, so why, given the drastic consequences, do some Thais continue to flaunt it?

Are they really in need of attention, are they mentally deficient, or is there some other valid reason, that I may have overlooked, to justify their actions?

The bottom line is, those who do not agree with the law (and I am sure that there are many) should use the system in place, to try to change it, just as they must do with any other law that they do not agree with.

It does seem like quite an easy one to comply with, though, and almost everybody does comply, so again, why would anyone choose to deliberately flaunt it?

There is ZERO potential upside in doing so.

OK, I understand.

So yes, technically it is a law, and as I said, it is a tool of oppression... of free speech and human rights. It's meant to stifle debate and stop criticism - not of the monarchy, but of people who wrap themselves in patriotism.

But your point about compliance with or flaunting of the "law" is an interesting question. Why do people do it?

I would answer that most of them do not 'flaunt' the law.

Consider any other law - something simple like speeding. go too fast, get a ticket.

Describe that simplicity with LM. It's impossible.

It's impossible because LM isn't about what you said or did, it is about how someone else feels about what you said or did...

And that is a critical difference between LM and any other normal law.

It is also the difference that allows it to be used to silence opposition and oppress human rights in Thailand.

Consider recent convictions - students in a play. A taxi driver talking with his cab fare. A fellow with mental problems. A mother of 2 with FB postings. An elderly janitor who criticized the current 'PM' in bathroom graffiti, ... Even a woman who dressed in black in her FB profile picture in during the month of December was accused of LM...

Since the coup, the number of cases has skyrocketed and they are being tried in military courts. These military courts are now dishing out unheard of penalties.

This is not a normal "law" and everyone accused of it is being harassed. Everyone imprisoned under it is a political prisoner.

I would claim that it is not the people who are accused and convicted who flaunt the law, but those who apply it.

Well, Baboon, you have clearly been in Thailand long enough to think like a Thai. Why not sue someone?

Love the sinner, hate the sin...

If they had been jailed for 6 months it would have been a stupid law, but they are in effect getting something close to a life sentence and that's nothing less than inhumane. I really hope the international community call them on this.

Inhumane.. idiotic law .. better .. no disagreement here.

And your beloved junta is abusing this law.

Everyone was abusing this law, not only they. Besides i don't agree with all of the junta its the lesser evil.

Seems you are unaware of the relationship between the army, coups and Lese Majeste. Typical of those who praise the junta; gullible and ignorant.

Doesn't really matter, I'm not a fan personally but there's little doubt he's going to be back and then he'll just get the rank back again. Or Pol. General.

What planet are you on?

He will never come back and should never come back

- except to do his jail term and get sentenced for his other crimes

This article is a total crock of shit. Thaksin is a convicted felon and also a fugitive therefore only nepotism, a failed police force, judiciary and a society saturated in social and moral corruption can stand in the way of him being dishonorably stripped of rank, pension and privileged.