Certificate of Residence

krey

I need the certificate of Residence to get my Drivers License and on the forum and from a few friends I keep on getting different answers such as some say I got to go to the old immigration office, some say it now takes 3 to 4 days to have it processed etc. I am just trying to get the right procedure can you guys help me answer

1. Where do I get it? The new immigration office or the old?

2. What time should I go to immigration to get it, does it matter for this certifcate

3. do I need proof and what classifies of proof of resident - my lease? electric bill, my dashing good lucks

4. How much does it cost

5. How long does it take?

6. And finally I need to get both motorcycle and car license do I need two copies or can I photocopy one?

Thanks so much

I got the Residence Letter a couple of weeks ago in Pattaya (Jomtien) and it cost 500 Baht for two. I was not sure if you can use one original and one copy but rather than waste a day doing the process twice I go two originals as well as two original medical certificates. Should have asked at Land Transportation Office but forgot by then. For my proof of residence I had a letter from the condo juristic person stating I live there on their letterhead. Some of that is needed as it has the correct detailed address required for the RL which is also used on the Driver Licenses.

In Jomtien you have separate que numbers for the RL and it only took about 15 minutes for the entire process. It did not seem like they are typically very busy and I went near the opening hours. I believe the medical certificate and RL are good for about 30 days so can get them when convenient. In my case I wanted to do all in one day and found out that most clinics tend to open later in the morning and stay open later at night but I was lucky to find one open about 9:30am and probably paid a higher price but did not have any option at that stage.

Make sure you allocate four days for the process: One day to apply for the certificate, one day to pick it up, one day to apply for the driver's license and then the last day to pick up your license. The bureaucracy is a real pain in the butt, especially if you live out of town.

thanks for the help guys though Chiang Mai procedure would be more helpful, it is often that different areas do things differently

if anyone has done it recently in Chiang Mai love to see their responses

thanks to everyone for your responses so far

Read my old post. Don't bother to read the replies; they are all about paying or not (and one grumpy old man complaining about the Font.)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752801-residence-certificate-in-chiang-mai/

Just go there in the afternoon and you can get it next day between 13:00 and 16:00.

You need proof of residence and lease contract or any bill in your name will do.

You need two (original) Residence Certificates, so bring 4 pictures.

The price is between 0 and 500 Baht per Certificate. If you want them the next day, the price is 500.

In CM you have to go to Immigration opposit Promenada where they deal with all the burmese workers ...

There is no fee for a Cert. of Res. but they want a bribe of 500B per Cert. or you will have to wait 1 month to get for free - I waited 1 month and was told by this bah.gif officer (PM me and I give you his name) that I could not get anymore Cert. in the future ...

You need 2 pics in a specific size - try call them and hear size ... They can take pics for you : 4 pics 100B

Good luck

Feedback would be great--I need to renew my Licence in a month or so, and know that Residence Permit, medical certificate and the usual Visa page are requirements.

What feedback are you looking for?

I posted yesterday my experience for renewing my 5 yr license: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787788-drivers-license-procedures-chiang-mai/page-5

My post went as this:

-------------------------------------------------------

A brief report on my 5 yr renewal process yesterday (Aug 11th):

I went to the Lamphun office as I have always done.

What they required:

- Passport

- Copy of main passport page

- Copy of visa page

- Current Thai drivers license

- Residence cert

- 605 THB

The entire process including queue times as well as watching the 50-55 minute video was 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I had to:

- Perform the reaction test

- Perform the color test

- Watch the video

NOTES:

- My prior 5 yr license expired on my birthday a few weeks ago but they didn't seem to care about that.

- Even though they stated that my new license would be good for 5 years it's actually printed as saying the next 6.

- Watching the video I learned two things:

1) Everything in the video they said not to do the majority of the Thai drivers do all the time.

2) I didn't know it but new vehicles with the red tags are not allowed to be operated at night time.

Cheers.... happy motoring...... and be careful !

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps. Note there was no request for a medical. And for my residence verification I decided to pay the $50 at the US Consulate and have them notarize the affidavit form for proof of residence. I opted that because I was willing to cough up the $50 and I was at the Consulate anyways getting other documents needed for my extension.

Thanks Dingdong, great update and interesting about the Medical- this was said to be required by the girl on the 'Information' desk at MaeHia Municipal Office ( the Licence centre)

Thanks again- I am going to try the Promenada place for Residence Cert. just to save a few baht.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk