Applying for new visa despite having 1 entry available

Hello there,

My question is this - a bit more then 2 months ago I went to Vientiane and applied for double entry visa - I got it and used the first entry but recently I decided to go to Europe for a vacation so I haven't used the 2nd entry yet.

My question is - If I will go to the thai embassy here in Europe and apply for a new triple entry visa (I plan to go to Thailand for at least 7 months) Will they allow it or Will they say I can't apply for a new visa unless I used the 2nd entry from the Vientiane visa ?

Thank you.

The only way that you will find out for sure is to pick up the telephone and call the Embassy and ask! Whether or not they will cancel the existing valid visa and issue a new one is totally up to them.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1

If you got your tourist visa in Vientiane it has more than likely expired. They are only issued with 3 months validity.

OP said a bit more than 2 months, so it has not expired at this time

Anyway there is no reason why he should be denied also because it would have expired by the date of new travel.

• Like 1

I'm not sure but I don't think Thai embassies would look kindly on the idea of 'saving up' visas. Of course if the validity of the visa has expired, you will have no problem, but I strongly doubt they will issue another visa while the old one remains valid. If it will have expired by the date of your travel back to Thailand is a point which you'd have to take up with the Thai officials themselves.

My question is - If I will go to the thai embassy here in Europe and apply for a new triple entry visa (I plan to go to Thailand for at least 7 months) Will they allow it or Will they say I can't apply for a new visa unless I used the 2nd entry from the Vientiane visa ?

The embassy will accept your application and issue the requested triple-entry tourist visa if you qualify for it. Check the embassy's website for their requirements.

@op:

How about posting the exact dates when you got the visa, date you entered Thailand and when you went to Europe.

I think it's the date of issue at Vientiane that matters. The 60 days start from that date.

If I remember correctly, you have one month from the date of leaving Thailand to activate the second entry.

Edited by meltingpot2015

@op:
How about posting the exact dates when you got the visa, date you entered Thailand and when you went to Europe.
I think it's the date of issue at Vientiane that matters. The 60 days start from that date.
If I remember correctly, you have one month from the date of leaving Thailand to activate the second entry.

The visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. Both entries must be made on or before the enter before date on the visa that is the date the visa expires..

@op:

The visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. Both entries must be made on or before the enter before date on the visa that is the date the visa expires..

Enter before = Enter ON or BEFORE.
If your enter before date is Sunday 30 August 2015 and there is no flight availability on Friday 28 or Saturday 29 August 2015. It would be fine to
arrive in Thailand on Sunday 30 August 2015, but definitely not after? (to activate the second entry).

I'm not sure but I don't think Thai embassies would look kindly on the idea of 'saving up' visas. Of course if the validity of the visa has expired, you will have no problem, but I strongly doubt they will issue another visa while the old one remains valid. If it will have expired by the date of your travel back to Thailand is a point which you'd have to take up with the Thai officials themselves.

It's not so. As mentioned before one only needs to normally qualify to be issued a visa. Having of a previous, unused visa is not a factor.

Also note that if a visa is expired there is no "point to take". It is not valid for entry and it ends there.

@op:

Enter before = Enter ON or BEFORE.
If your enter before date is Sunday 30 August 2015 and there is no flight availability on Friday 28 or Saturday 29 August 2015. It would be fine to
arrive in Thailand on Sunday 30 August 2015, but definitely not after? (to activate the second entry).

As long as you enter before midnight on the enter before date you will get a new entry.

It is best though to plan on entering before the last day in case there is any delay getting here.

As long as you enter before midnight on the enter before date you will get a new entry.

It is best though to plan on entering before the last day in case there is any delay getting here.

That's clear enough.
in post #9, you may have been thinking of the visa exemption/tourist visa extension that says "extension of stay permitted up to ..DATE...."
That actually allows you to leave the kingdom on the day, but again probably a good idea to plan and leave before the date.
On topic, If the OP decides to enter thailand before the 'enter before date' could he/she not apply for a double-entry (at the European Country consulate) to start on the expiry of his current visa (the expiry of the second entry). That way he is not wasting one entry. He may need to qualify the entries anyway.

Thank you all for the advice.

What I did in the end is call the embassy and ask them if it's possible to cancel the double entry visa and make instead a new triple entry visa - They agreed and I got what I wanted.

This is a very friendly embassy so I'm not sure it will work in less friendly embassies around the world.

Edited by webber4