'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

'Anna Reese' Rejects 6.2M Settlement Sought By Dead Cop’s Family
By Khaosod English

14391984191439198669l.jpg
British-Thai actress Anna Reese leaves negotiations at the Prawet Police Station over a cash settlement to the family of a police officer she killed June 26.

BANGKOK — A British-Thai actress who killed a Bangkok police officer with her Mercedes walked out of talks with his family on Saturday, refusing to pay the restitution asked for.

Two months after tearfully telling the public she was “prepared to help the family … in any way,” Anna Hambawaris, better known as Ann Reese, said she would not pay the 6.2 million baht asked by the family of Police Lt. Naphadol Wongbundit, according to Police Lt.Col. Pasit Saichonsak.

“The settlement has not been reached,” Anna said as she walked out of the four-hour meeting at the Prawet Police Station. “There will be further meetings.”

Under the proposed terms, Pasit said Naphadol’s wife, Chanthana Wongbundit, asked Anna to pay 6.2 million baht, 1.2 million baht of which Anna’s insurance had already agreed to cover. For her part, Anna said she would not pay the other 5 million baht and instead offered 2 million baht.

“Since they cannot agree on the compensation, we have arranged them to meet again on 22 August at 1 pm” Pasit said.

Chantana said she believed 6.2 million baht was “reasonable,” factoring in her husband’s 15 years on the police force and loss of future earnings to support her two young children and parents.

“Ms. Anna says she will only pay 2 million baht, which I think is unreasonable,” Chanthana said.

On June 26 Anna slammed her Mercedes into the rear end of Naphadol’s police car, which was parked alongside a road in Bangkok’s Prawet district, killing the 44-year-old cop.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439198419

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-10

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. Take her to court. Hope the court throws 20mn at her. 5mn for a life, where it may end up with a criminal prosecution is really pitiful.

The court would do that if she was drunk, but unfortunately that evidence was never collected. This beach knows this which is why she refuses to pay.

And I don't know why the press always insist on calling her British-Thai.

Her father was a Cypriot who held a British passport. She grew up in Thailand with Thai relatives, the father having died. Where is the British bit? Answer : Nowhere.

Come on guys.

6.2 million.

Just because she is a foreithai doesn't mean she has to pay quadruple.

Double is the standard.

Actually you are not right here.

This actress has through wealth, family, and acting connections a relatively high status. This will benefit her in getting the settlement down.

The reason it is fairly high is because she killed a career policeman with two children.

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

A simple question, what would a Thai pay.....?

Folk here want to bury someone cos there is a farang BLOOD involvement....

Just tell me why..?

Since by settling it out of court, the ability to pay comes into it. A Thai should pay the same. It's a dumb system in Thailand but if everyone paid the same, maybe driving quality would improve. 10mn for an accidental death would be fair enough, but who can really put a value on it.

Put it like this, if it was a relative of mine, enough to bankrupt them would be fair number.

If it was completely accidental, why pay anything?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn?

This is stipulated in the policy, and there are different levels.

This level: 1.2 million is the per person maximum figure, while the total per accident maximum figure might be ~ 10 million (assuming a lot of people die), is at or near the top level policy, I think.

Not clear if Ms. Reese is proposing to chip in 800K (making the total payment 2.0 million), or another 2 million, making the total payment 3.2 million? I suspect the former.

Her father was a Cypriot who held a British passport. She grew up in Thailand with Thai relatives, the father having died. Where is the British bit? Answer : Nowhere.

Glad someone mentioned, this, if there was any 'British'' in her she would of conducted herself in a rightful manner..

not Pussyfooting around, with the usual ''Thai'' crap, ''Temples, and forgiveness and ghosts'' and all that drivel....

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

A simple question, what would a Thai pay.....?

Folk here want to bury someone cos there is a farang BLOOD involvement....

Just tell me why..?

I guess 5m to a rich person is not as much as 5 mil to someone on 10k a month. Im not sure its because she is half falang but more to do with her not being poor.

Come on Briggsy, no Thai would ever do something like this. A real Thai would flee the scene immediately..........

The only reason this dickering over settlement is going on is duel of the RTP involvment. The job of a policeman is to enforce written law and protect and servie the general population /residenys (includinhg tourists)

The settlement between potential claiments in any action which could lead to ligitagition in the courts is absolutly non of their business nor corcern..

The epitome of a scumbag. I hope the family have a bloody good legal team who will squeeze every last bit of money from her. Just a shame the money part seems to be in lieu of any criminal charges. She would certainly look right at home in the nick here. Hope that some nasty judge somewhere makes it happen

Perhaps the spirit of the deceased told her in a vision to only pay 2mil..........wait for it.

1.2 covered by insurance, means she's only prepared to front 800k baht? What a miserable <deleted>........but I guess this was all obvious from the start of this fiasco.

RIP again to this poor guy, and what an insult his family have to endure the theatrics, followed by a fast one.

The only reason this dickering over settlement is going on is duel of the RTP involvment. The job of a policeman is to enforce written law and protect and servie the general population /residenys (includinhg tourists)

The settlement between potential claiments in any action which could lead to ligitagition in the courts is absolutly non of their business nor corcern..

This settlement would settle the civil case. I still don't quite see if she hasn't broken any laws, why she actually has to settle anything........

So cos there is a "farang" connection stuff is different for her....?????

A zillion folk get waisted ever year on Thai roads, what do Thai folk pay...?

There is more to this story......a lot of theatrics,begging and a mis-managed crime scene, which is frightening considering the deceased was a cop.

I would say normal Thai folk at least get breathalyze after such an incident.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836602-thai-english-actress-anna-reese-begs-cops-family-for-forgiveness/?hl=%2Banna+%2Breese

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836784-enquiry-into-police-who-handles-actress-anna-reese-fatal-police-car-smash/?hl=%2Banna+%2Breese

So cos there is a "farang" connection stuff is different for her....?????

A zillion folk get waisted ever year on Thai roads, what do Thai folk pay...?

There is more to this story......a lot of theatrics,begging and a mis-managed crime scene, which is frightening considering the deceased was a cop.

I would say normal Thai folk at least get breathalyze after such an incident.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836602-thai-english-actress-anna-reese-begs-cops-family-for-forgiveness/?hl=%2Banna+%2Breese

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836784-enquiry-into-police-who-handles-actress-anna-reese-fatal-police-car-smash/?hl=%2Banna+%2Breese

I have seen the Vids...COPS controled stuff, if COPS fear a Merc badge that means nothing to me, that is up to the COPS at the scene...If someone is saying the bird offered COPS stuff to get me outta here I would listen, but I ain't seen that..

lol she didn't offer anything no..........they could handle the merc badge, but couldn't handle the theatrics and the camera's, just another day at the office for her!

She would have shit her pants again hearing they want 6.2.

Pay the 6.2 you foolish lady.

What would a 100% Thai pay..........?

Few variables to consider I guess.

Employment

Maybe what area they're from also.

I'm not sure being half Thai plays much of a factor.

She's probably got plenty of cash. Old lady who cuts sugar in some village hasn't.