'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

What is with the Thai Visa people here.

What the family want or get should have nothing to do with her colour, wealth, beauty or car make it should be set by the norm for the country and loss of financial security . It is many multiplies of what the hundred of people including farangs that die in road accidents here through no fault of their own get as compensation . These victims families do not see millions, ask some bike rides of late.

Farangs unless you want people to push family members or jump in front of your car when they want to commit suicide, to get farang money, better you thank her for fighting to keep it in line. because you could be next.

You people who say she should get had up, for millions more better you return home because your hurting yourself and others.

The cost of her car and her wealth should have nothing to do with the compensation.

It seems you poor expats are out to get Thais with money, even more than poor uneducated Thais are out to get your money. Jealous or envious or just unhappy with your success?

I feel for the family indeed. I also feel for the drivers they must live with the results of their actions. As the saying says all but the grace of god, go I.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue the panties off the "half hitch". Jail time babe! bah.gif

why? the greed of the Thai people knows no bounds! that cop and his whole family couldn't make 6 million baht in ten lifetimes! go to court! they turned down a good offer, now let them take their chances in court! bet they settle before then!

On second thought, one more comment.

Insurance coverage offerings are too small here. I have the maximum and it's 2 million. Whereas property damage is 5 million. Just goes to show, a life is only worth 40% the value of an asset. They should offer coverage up to 30 million or something like that, then it would become rubber stamp to give reasonable awards in cases like this. Asking people to pay out of pocket for this kind of thing is really unreasonable and probably accounts for the reason settlements are so low.

I imagine the increased limits in insurance coverage would only add 5% or something small like that to everyone's premiums. Problem solved.

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn?

This is stipulated in the policy, and there are different levels.

This level: 1.2 million is the per person maximum figure, while the total per accident maximum figure might be ~ 10 million (assuming a lot of people die), is at or near the top level policy, I think.

Not clear if Ms. Reese is proposing to chip in 800K (making the total payment 2.0 million), or another 2 million, making the total payment 3.2 million? I suspect the former.

“Ms. Anna says she will only pay 2 million baht,"

Not sure ... but I think she means 2 million on top of the already 1.2 mil that the insurance paid.

Just going on the way it's worded ...

why should she pay anything, she was insured,this should be between the family and the insurance company.

I think it is based on the USA model of sueing for wrongful death (or what ever it is called)...

Kinda like that sprint car driver who ran over a fellow racer and killed him. In a court of law it was proven he was not at fault because A: the other driver should not have left his vehicle and B: the other driver was stoned.

The family are now going him for gazzillions and will most likely win.... really crap situation when he was 100% not to blame.

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

Agreed.

Sure it`s a terrible thing to lose a loved one, especially the `provider in a family` but one does wonder how much would be asked for if the one in question was a `poor commoner`.

Breaking News, "Cyclist killed by Poor Driver." Fine 500 baht.

Breaking News, "Billionaire runs over parade, kills 100. Pays 1 million baht, not late for dinner."

Breaking News, "UK high-so rejects 6 million settlement. Ends up paying 100 million."

Why does she have to give them anything above and beyond the insurance payout ?

compare with the compensation of 100.000 Euro ( 3.5 million Baht) offered by Lufthansa to families of the Germanwings crash victims : this was certainly a criminal crash.

No jail time? Only in Thailand if your Thai.

My Thai brother in law killed a man in a traffic accident in Bangkok, the family demanded one million in restitution, my brother in law wasn't well off, in fact he was struggling financially just to make ends meet so he refused and was given a 4 year prison sentence which he preferred rather than have to pay for the rest of his life.

What a disgrace this makes the Thai 'legal' system. The women should be charged with the appropriate offence and civil courts should award what

is seen as fair compensation. Maybe not enough because there would be too many snouts in the trough?

Although i have followed this accident a little , the real circunstances of why the accident happened have never been made clear . As I understand the accident took place in the early hours of the morning when it was dark . The police officers was tired on the drive home and parked his car beside the road to have a sleep . Did his car have side lights on , or was it completely dark ?

We understand that Anna was not drunk , but did she fall asleep at the wheel ? It is very unwise to park a car beside the road , especially at night when it is dark . My guess is that there was some degree of fault on the police officer's side . I think it unlikely that this actress is highly paid or has huge savings , that 2ml is the limit of what she has . I do not hear that there was a criminal element to this accident , otherwise she might have been going to prison . I have read of accidents in Thailand such as a motorcycle that ran into a car stationary at traffic lights , the car driver was charged with dangerous driving .