'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

How much compensation you receive here always seems dependent on how much you are prepared to invest/gamble on legal and other interested parties "fees".

Some you win, some you lose as the contesting party will do the same. Not often a level playing field though.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the red bull guy pay?

From what I heard today from an insider - intially 25 million Baht to a certain law inforcement station/office. Then, as things escalated, probably due to media attention, desparation made somebody make a phone call he wish he had not. This resulted in a further 1 billion Baht payment (yes, billion, not million), not to the relatives though.....

Now the Red Bull guy is apparantly living a normal, though quiet and under the radar, life in Thailand.

I consent, this very well might be just false rumours, but this is what I was told today by someone who´s been around for a while in Bangkok.

I think your source has been in the sun too long.

My take on this is ''screw the cop''. The amount of innocent foreign people these thieves have helped wipe out. Covering up murders, beatings, scams, property theft, land theft, highway robbery of people getting from A to B and much more. Karma is a bitch.

It sort of looks like a lottery with people arguing about the prize amount after they have won.

Imagine that we think we should win a prize by dying accidentally.

In nature how many fish or chickens or cows would take out insurance?

The insurance company is paying the maximum amount. Very good of them.

People here in the Thai Visa jury think because she has a Mercedes that she owns it.

Maybe it is leased and all part of the show?

I know of an at fault accident in which 1 million baht was paid. So that is what a life is worth in Thailand.

She had an accident it is a very sad state of affairs.

At least she had insurance. This must be very sad for the wife and kids.

We do not know the situation or financial status of either party and we seek to make a judgement on assumptions.

You wear some pretty clothes and say you are an actress and they think you are a billionare?

I did not read that anywhere. I have met lots of people who play the show but are close to being bankrupt.

I will let them work it out between them and hope they do the best they can so that what is fair happens.

My take on this is ''screw the cop''. The amount of innocent foreign people these thieves have helped wipe out. Covering up murders, beatings, scams, property theft, land theft, highway robbery of people getting from A to B and much more. Karma is a bitch.

So you know for sure the cop who died was one of the bad ones do you?

Believe me there are some good police here. One I know has been subject to a couple of shit postings because he refused to take part in the usually ripoffs and pass money upstairs.

Fair enough. Take her to court. Hope the court throws 20mn at her. 5mn for a life, where it may end up with a criminal prosecution is really pitiful.

Naïve thinking. If you were Thai at Head you'd understand that under the Sakdina system of legislated inequality subliminally governing Thai culture, a common cop's influence in the court cannot match the wealth na of a successful TV or film personality.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

what if you will be on the position of this poor guy? and Thai people will shout "screw the farang. anyway they are too rich"

karma is a bitch, man.

Edited by BaskeTb

I agree she should pay compensation, but as others are asking what would a Thai pay in similar conditions? You may remember the story of the poor Laotian girl who was cut in tow by a speeding Porsche. I believe the driver ended up paying 350K and insurance paid 150K?

i dont get it, if it truely is an accident why would she pay anything?

has she been charged with a crime?

I don't think she has been charged with anything.

She is only currently concerned with averting a civil case which the family could pursue if a deal can't be negotiated.

Note the last pgh of the OP article, which wasn't visible in the TV post excerpted portion:

Asked whether criminal charges would move forward against Anna, the officer supervising the case today told Khaosod English that was up to his commander and declined to answer any questions about the case.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Anna Reese refuses to pay 6.2m baht compensation for dead cop
By Coconuts Bangkok

anna3_0.jpg
Photo: @Hui_Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Thai-British actress Anna Reese who killed a police officer in a car crash in June refused to pay the THB6.2 million compensation and tried to haggle the price down in talks with his family Saturday.

Two months after telling the public she was "prepared to help the family in anyway" and becoming a nun for a week, actress Anna Reese, 28, said she would not pay the THB6.2 million requested by the family of Pol. Lt. Napadol Wongbandit.

“The settlement has not been reached,” Anna said after she walked out of the four-hour meeting at Prawet Police Station Saturday. “There will be further meetings.”

The deceased's wife, Chanthana Wongbundit, said the THB6.2 million compensation she requested was reasonable, considering her husband's expected future earnings from the police force and the fact she has two young daughters.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/11/anna-reese-refuses-pay-62m-baht-compensation-dead-cop

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-11

No, I will not pay $170,000 for taking this mans life. I know it was my fault. And I am very sorry. And I will do anything to help your family. Except pay you a very fair settlement, for the homicide I committed. I am a really good person. And I am rich, so paying you would be pocket change for me. But, something tells me I should not do the right thing. I want to, but I can't. Really, I want to.

One would think it would be worth it, for the PR value alone, to get this thing settled in a manner that appears fair to all sides. Maybe she has been taking advice from Disgusting Donald. No fair deal is ever a good deal, says the Donald. Always screw the other party, every chance you can. Never leave a penny on the table.

What was she thinking? Why niggle over 100 grand, when you have killed somebody, and you are rich and famous? Is she that dense?

Greed is what rules. IF it was a farmer with a standard Thai insurance, the cops family got NOTHING. But this thai woman had a good insurance, so they got 1,2 already.

It is enough.

how do you know how much does the cop's life cost?

the price is totally up to the cop's family. if the lady does not want to pay - let her stay in jail for a few years. this is how she can show that she is really sorry.

No, I will not pay $170,000 for taking this mans life. I know it was my fault. And I am very sorry. And I will do anything to help your family. Except pay you a very fair settlement, for the homicide I committed. I am a really good person. And I am rich, so paying you would be pocket change for me. But, something tells me I should not do the right thing. I want to, but I can't. Really, I want to.

One would think it would be worth it, for the PR value alone, to get this thing settled in a manner that appears fair to all sides. Maybe she has been taking advice from Disgusting Donald. No fair deal is ever a good deal, says the Donald. Always screw the other party, every chance you can. Never leave a penny on the table.

What was she thinking? Why niggle over 100 grand, when you have killed somebody, and you are rich and famous? Is she that dense?

Amusingly if the stupid <deleted> had NOT have parked on the road for a snooze he would still be alive.

If blame has to be laid he is 50% at fault.

The family want 6.2 million, she has countered with 2 million... I reckon 3.1 million is fair compensation (not that I believe any should be paid at all).

There are no criminal proceedings, which I'm assuming means this was classed as an accident.

Why would anyone be expected to pay such a sum in an accident?

Was the deceased also partly culpable due to the position / location of his parked car?

Of course, this case has far more complexity than a simple wrong and right... there is no proof, but a lot of suspicion that the actress had been drinking.

Those calling for her head should perhaps also be calling for better policing, someone let her leave the scene of an accident where she appeared to be under the influence without forcing her to take an alcohol test.

There are no criminal proceedings, which I'm assuming means this was classed as an accident.

Why would anyone be expected to pay such a sum in an accident?

Was the deceased also partly culpable due to the position / location of his parked car?

Of course, this case has far more complexity than a simple wrong and right... there is no proof, but a lot of suspicion that the actress had been drinking.

Those calling for her head should perhaps also be calling for better policing, someone let her leave the scene of an accident where she appeared to be under the influence without forcing her to take an alcohol test.

Indeed, if she was drunk its a crime and she should pay. If its an accident then why pay such an amount. I bet most normal foreigners would also refuse such an amount if it was an accident.

Speeding, drunk ect then paying a high settlement to stay out of jail is a different story but in case of a real accident no way.

As no alcohol test has been done how can we say that she has been drinking.

My face is getting sore from all the "face-palming" I've been doing while reading this thread.

Anna Reese isn't some major "A-Lister" movie star. In the last 9 years she's had small parts in 4 movies and a bit part in on episode of a TV show. Her last gig was 3 years ago. Hardly a "star" and not likely "rich" by any means.

The police office was not from Bangkok and therefore was not likely familiar with road he was on. He was returning to his home province after a meeting in Bangkok. Rather than continue to drive when too tired to do so safely, he pulled over onto the shoulder, called his wife so she wouldn't worry and went to sleep. He wasn't from Bangkok and he wasn't on duty. He was trying to do the "right" thing unlike so many other drivers in this country. The shoulder of the road is where people pull over when they have car problems (or really really need to take a whiz badly). It isn't meant to be driven on.

For all the people trying to put the blame on the police officer - give your head a shake. If a family of 4 had car problems and pulled onto the hard shoulder (as they are supposed to - so they aren't blocking traffic) and the father had gotten out to walk to one of those "emergency call boxes" and Reese had come flying along and smashed into the car, killing the 3 remaining occupants, would you be blaming the father ? For doing what he was supposed to do by pulling onto the shoulder that Reese shouldn't have been driving on ? If the situation was reversed and it was Reese parked on the side of the road and a cop (who was too tired to drive) hit her car and killed her, you'd be blaming the cop, not her.

The only way she could have hit the officer's car is if:

She was illegally driving on the shoulder - (ergo she's guilty).

She was intoxicated at the time - (ergo she's guilty).

She was "distracted" by her smartphone/whatever - (ergo she's guilty).

She was driving recklessly (i.e. speeding/racing) - (ergo she's guilty). (Note that supposedly a security guard allegedly saw her racing a large motorcycle just before the accident but who knows, by now his memory may be a bit....faulty.) (Not sure what the "legal" speed limit is on that particular road but she claimed to be doing 100 km/hr at the time, which was around 3 am.)

Unfortunately because the police botched the case by letting her leave we'll never know the full truth. What we do know is, she was driving. She hit a car parked on the side of the road. The occupant of that car was killed as a result.

As for her being charged, there are numerous articles like this one from the Bangkok Post:

"Thai-English actress Anna Reese turned herself in to Prawet police station at 1.30pm on Friday to hear charges of reckless driving causing death and fleeing the scene of an accident, following a crash early on Friday morning."

According to a "press interview" the first thing she did after the accident call her relatives (not 911). Watching the video I see absolutely no reason why the police couldn't have given her a Breathalyzer. According to that same "interview" her relatives "rushed to the scene, found she had injured her left arm, and drove her to their house." Yet the video shows that the (minor) injury on her arm had already been bandaged (I'm guessing by the EMTs on the scene). That video starts well after the accident as there are police, EMTs and (I'm assuming) her relatives on the scene and her arm is bandaged. The video goes on for 4 minutes and no where did I see the police talking to her or trying to prevent her from leaving.

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

My annual policy here costs about the same as a monthly payment on a policy back home. And I got the maximum liability coverage they'd write me under an auto policy. And it ain't enough.

that may be so but at least youve actually got a shot at getting a payout here. Unlike in the west where they will keep you waiting months if not years while they investigate how to weasle their way out paying.

Most companies spend all their time and resources hiding stuff in the fine print that voids them of paying out in nearly every incidence.

bunch of cockroaches the lot of em