Enquiry into police who handles actress Anna Reese' fatal police car smash

webfact

Enquiry into police who handles actress' fatal police car smash
The Nation

30263371-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Police set up a committee to probe the Prawet police station's case investigator for allegedly allowing actress and model Anna Reese to leave the crash scene on Friday morning, in which a policeman was killed.

The committee was expected to complete the probe and report to the city police chief in 30 days.

The model's Mercedes Benz slammed into the parked police car on a Bangkok road at around 3am last Friday and killed Pol Sub-Lieutenant Napadol Wongbunndit, 44, who was asleep inside the vehicle.

Pol Colonel Uthit Chantharangsi of Prawet police station said that superintendent Pol Colonel Metha Jiamkraisri had assigned him to lead the committee to probe suspicions raised by the public.

The city police were determined to clarify: why the woman wasn't apprehended after the crash; why she didn't undergo an alcohol test after the crash; and why police reportedly let her go home afterwards, he said. The result would be submitted to the city police head office in 30 days, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Enquiry-into-police-who-handles-actress-fatal-poli-30263371.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-30

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of questions here. She hit the police car at 3.00am ...suggesting driving home after a late night out.

But why was an on duty policeman asleep in his car?

The police found him dead or dying but did not arrest or check her breath?

And then with a fatality on their hands they let her go home unchallenged?

Edited by Jay Sata

The headlines soon," top police men of the Praweat police station have been transferred to another

posts.... the investigations continue as to why the woman was allowed to go home before she

was brutalized and tested for present of drugs in her system" DUH.....

Years ago in the UK I was hit by a car whilst on my motorbike. Had to be carted off to hospital in an ambulance.

One of the policemen who attended the scene followed the ambulance to hospital and did a breath test for alcohol after about an hour when it was obvious my injuries weren't as serious as first thought.

No reason at all that similar didn't happen in this case.

When I took the Thai driving test, I am pretty sure the Highway Code, advised pulling OFF the road to get some rest. Not pulling up on the side of the road.

That said, it does not negate from the fact that this is tragic for both parties and probably could have been completley avoidable.

According to a previous article the policeman wasn't sleeping on the job. He was going home to his province, called his wife and said he was too tired to drive and was going to get some sleep.

30 days to complete the report??.....

I would have thought it fairly simple...

1. Why did you let her go after the fatal accident?

She's an actress....and rich.

2. Why are you an idiot?

I'm a Thai cop.

Case closed.....idiot get's transfered.

You have Big Noodles (the rich, celebrities, HiSo, etc) and you have Little Noodles (i.e., poor, middle class, just regular folks, etc) in Thailand. The laws always seem to be more lenient and applied differently (even without a lawyer in tow) for Big Noodles in comparison to Little Noodles. TIT

30 days to complete the report??.....

I would have thought it fairly simple...

1. Why did you let her go after the fatal accident?

She's an actress....and rich.

2. Why are you an idiot?

I'm a Thai cop.

Case closed.....idiot get's transfered.

Its not really 30 days to complete the report, it's 30 days for everyone to forget that this happened and for the small amount of followup news to dissipate.

Not sure why a "probe" should take 30 days to complete??
Surely a quick question put to the "crash scene officers" should come back with an immediate answer!!

As for her being "traumatised" at the time she should have been removed immediately from the accident scene and taken to a hospital for a check-up, then given a breath or blood test then given sedation before being allowed home or taken to a police station for arrest (depending on the outcome of the test) !!!

Not her dictate to officers what she wanted to do !!!!

The officers at the scene were obviously not trained in how to deal with emergency situations & how to deal with accidents victims !!

Also disturbing was that as the poor officer was obviously deceased then it became a crime scene, why was she and others allowed to walk around the car & enter the car...

The city police were determined to clarify: why the woman wasn't apprehended after the crash; why she didn't undergo an alcohol test after the crash; and why police reportedly let her go home afterwards, he said. The result would be submitted to the city police head office in 30 days, he added.

I don't see her being released or allowed to go home as a problem really, she had just been in a traumatic collision, and should have gone to hospital for checks, and been comforted by family or friends. The only issue is the lack of a prompt blood-alcohol test, this is a huge and shocking failure and is pivotal in the designation of this tragedy as an unfortunate accident or a serious crime.

I'm not always able to follow Thai law and not so much because it's complicated but rather it's oh so ' flexible ' in application.

However in the criminal jurisdictions I am familiar with the police action, or rather inaction, at the scene would, at the very least, be regarded as a very serious neglect of duty. However criminal charges, such as Perverting The Course Of Justice, would be likely if the police officers concerned had deliberately failed to breath test her and allowed her to go because of who she is or other ' considerations '.

Even if she is charged with Causing Death by Reckless Driving it's helpful to have any suggestion of driving whilst over the limit out of the way.

30 days ....! How long can it possibly take to ask and get the answer to one pertinent question ???

The results of the investigation will be given to the head office in 30 days--- F%#*K knows what will happen to it after that,and how long that will take,but it gives time for all the important arrangements to be completed behind the scenes coffee1.gif

Strange case in many ways. Why was the victim asleep in a car beside/on the road. Was he exhausted or had he been drinking? I'll bet they never checked. Then the woman gets to leave the scene of a fatal accident. I'll bet she is glad this did not happen in England. She'd still be in the lockup. Either way it seems the police are covering up one or more uncomfortable truths... Adds to the body of evidence suggesting when you have a car accident in Thailand its up to you how you negotiate the outcome. Survival of the rich and famous ensured.

Tragedy all round..she might have been over the limit and he might have been parked up asleep on the road, while he was supposed to be working. What a cluster F.

How many times do we get people on here who skip through the info in a original post and then add inane comments in their posts.The policeman was NOT ON DUTY. He was on his way home and felt sleepy and made the good decision to not drive. Then fate dealt him that terrible blow.R.I.Pcoffee1.gif

I think the "killing someone" bit is more serious than the "sleeping on the job" bit somehow. blink.png

That depends on whether the sleeping on the side of the road part was a contributing factor, or cause of the accident.

According to a previous article the policeman wasn't sleeping on the job. He was going home to his province, called his wife and said he was too tired to drive and was going to get some sleep.

Going home to his province in a marked official police vehicle? Do the police get 'company cars' now?

'

I quite agree there should be an inquiry into why she wasn't breathalysed or tested for drugs

in my opinion it was an absolute farce and to be allowed to walk away from the scene of the accident what were the police thinking of?