'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

About 3 years ago my 21 year old brother in law was murdered in a road rage incident- here in Thailand- The other person slashed my BIL and 3 other people with a machete- The person was caught and received a sentence of 20 years in prison- plus ordered to pay 700K Baht as compensation to my MIL. Of course, nothing was paid. The deceased BIL had his whole life ahead plus he owned a small motorcycle sales and repair business. Of course, none of the people in this case were high profile or wealthy but I figured the court would have ordered much more in compensation.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father in law was also an actor,

he would not be able to pay more than 1.000,thb;

She have an mercedes - worth ??

we don't know her wealth !

In general for a normal Thai the request would be too high,

on the other side for a wealth family maybee not too much;

The court should clear this !!

2 kids will still need a lot of money for school and education !

But as he was policeman with a low income,

and with Gen. Prayouths anti bribe campaign he also would not have an higher selary

to sedn his kids to another school than public to getr an officer on Bribe - oh - sorry Brobe !!

How much paid that teenager which pushed the Van from the highway and killed 7 people ??

What a lot of negative comments. If the copper was corrupt would you still agree with that? what if the copper abused power a lot.

This is why it should be criminal charge - manslaughter, negligence, accidental etc. let it go to court, let just ( ha ha ha TIT) ice have its way.

I don't understand if the poseters here dislike the woman because she is rich? thai? female?

what makes her a bitch? why do you think she is drunk? why should she be vilified for this, yet others can get away with all sorts?

just because this happened to be police why should she be charged with more serious offense? the head of BKK police refused to be breathalised not long ago, if it was that one would you all still be complaining,

Edited by mmh8

And I don't know why the press always insist on calling her British-Thai.

Her father was a Cypriot who held a British passport. She grew up in Thailand with Thai relatives, the father having died. Where is the British bit? Answer : Nowhere.

she is also not poor like cypriots - she drives an Mercedes,

which only very reach can afford !!

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

A simple question, what would a Thai pay.....?

Folk here want to bury someone cos there is a farang BLOOD involvement....

Just tell me why..?

Since by settling it out of court, the ability to pay comes into it. A Thai should pay the same. It's a dumb system in Thailand but if everyone paid the same, maybe driving quality would improve. 10mn for an accidental death would be fair enough, but who can really put a value on it.

Put it like this, if it was a relative of mine, enough to bankrupt them would be fair number.

If it was completely accidental, why pay anything?

If she pays the family the case against her will disappear, like the case against the red bull heir. He paid B 1 mn and was allowed to escape. As she broke the law by not phoning the police directly after the accident and left the accident scene the other factors such as DUI becomes less important. But we live in a country where a 17 year old can kill 3 people with her vehicle, get a 3 year suspended sentence and still appeal the sentence, because its seen as "unfair".

Apart from anything else, she's not very savvy or astute. Being in that industry she should be well aware of being in the public eye and must have known that she would be crucified for walking out of the meeting with the family of the deceased.

She should have sat in that room until dawn, even if nothing was being said...always let the others walk away from the table. Now she loses whatever credibility she had and any claim to high moral ground ('whatever it takes")

accidents can happen to any one any where. What if this cop was hit by a poor mans motor bike and was killed? Would the family of the cop ask for 6.2 million bhat as compensation?

if it was her part of negligence im sure she is repenting but that doesnt mean she should suffer financially so much just because she is an actress.

If it was a young biker that was in question here, what would the settlement be...?

Why is the payout from insurance capped at 1.2mn? The policies cost the same as the west?

The offence is worth more than 5mn...someone died. This is the start of evening up Thai society.

A simple question, what would a Thai pay.....?

Folk here want to bury someone cos there is a farang BLOOD involvement....

Just tell me why..?

Since by settling it out of court, the ability to pay comes into it. A Thai should pay the same. It's a dumb system in Thailand but if everyone paid the same, maybe driving quality would improve. 10mn for an accidental death would be fair enough, but who can really put a value on it.

Put it like this, if it was a relative of mine, enough to bankrupt them would be fair number.

If it was completely accidental, why pay anything?

How much you would pay in EU ?

Correct you would not pay privat any cent !

Court will find your fault or not;

Insurance obligatory will pay a lump sum for the expenses ,

and will pay a rent to the wife,

and up till the age of 27 a stipend to the childrens;

Than the insurance will try to refund from the driver - if he were guilty;

The police which did not the alco test would be sacked to no-where !!

The rent and stipendi will be always the same, never mind if the driver was a police man, or a PM, or a farmer;

The court penalty would depend on the wellnes of the fault driver -

( But even in Europe - if the fault one would be a famous person - financial penalty would be higher -

but jail term would be lower than usual !!

The only reason this dickering over settlement is going on is duel of the RTP involvment. The job of a policeman is to enforce written law and protect and servie the general population /residenys (includinhg tourists)

The settlement between potential claiments in any action which could lead to ligitagition in the courts is absolutly non of their business nor corcern..

In no any Democratic country which have human laws ,

A killing or similar criminal act would be possible to settle by ligitation !

This is done only in Jungle or in pure capitalist countries which counts a human life only by money !!

For us Europeans, a human life is the highest wealth which god gave us and you can't count by money.

In US and many other countries,

yes - in some countries - human life is worth not more than 1 US$;

In US - its hundred of millions,

as they are able to put Nuclear bombs and chemical weapons on other people !!

Why is she even walking about, she KILLED someone, she should be in Jail, or in ''Custody''.. ???

How could you live with yourself, after doing something like this, and going about your day to day stuff ???

beyond me....

As Thai you can,

because it was a bad ghost who interacted on her steeringwheel !!

Therefore she went after also to the temple and funeral,

to ask help from the good ghost to hunt down the bad one;

And she have already reported,

that she have peace now with the ghost of the victim !!

The only reason this dickering over settlement is going on is duel of the RTP involvment. The job of a policeman is to enforce written law and protect and servie the general population /residenys (includinhg tourists)

The settlement between potential claiments in any action which could lead to ligitagition in the courts is absolutly non of their business nor corcern..

This settlement would settle the civil case. I still don't quite see if she hasn't broken any laws, why she actually has to settle anything........

the law side she have settled already ! RTP officer have spend the money already !!

therefore she now short with the funds for the family compensation !!

let's get this straight she is paying to mitigate guilt by a court and her family were really SMART carting her off before any breathalyser and the Police dumb OR paid

she is now just paying to 'move on' it has nothing o do with justice it's 'blood money' plain and simple

anyway she was a fool to walk out on relative of someone she killed but I guess she doesn't care as life is nothing in Thailand because the God is money

What a lot of negative comments. If the copper was corrupt would you still agree with that? what if the copper abused power a lot.

This is why it should be criminal charge - manslaughter, negligence, accidental etc. let it go to court, let just ( ha ha ha TIT) ice have its way.

I don't understand if the poseters here dislike the woman because she is rich? thai? female?

what makes her a bitch? why do you think she is drunk? why should she be vilified for this, yet others can get away with all sorts?

just because this happened to be police why should she be charged with more serious offense? the head of BKK police refused to be breathalised not long ago, if it was that one would you all still be complaining,

Interesting you bring up corruption.

Maybe the family honestly do believe he was earning Bt.100,000 per month (instead of a realistic Bt.15,000) based on what he was bringing home. Hence the request for 6.2 million (or about 5 years of perceived salary).

Not to be unfair in my remarks, but the amount would not be unfair if the request was made in another country. Maybe it is her last name Reese that up's the amount.

The Red Bull son or heir? only paid out 1.5 million from what I read? Her policy has already paid 1.2 million which her coverage is far more than most car insurance policy in Thailand in general have which average 200/300,000 baht which most Thai's would clearly accept. Remember we are talking Thailand not somewhere else. Maybe the family has thrown in some of that corruption money stuff for good measure.

I don't know where the cop's family work out that this is a fair deal (not that the actress deserves a fair deal in the first place she should be locked up!)

6.2 million is about 175K USD, the average cop I believe (without tea money) gets about 185-200 USD / Month, so they are basically asking for 78 years worth of salary. The poor guy was already 44, so they are asking for his salary until he is 122 years old?

He must have been a good tea drinker!

That by the by, they do need compensation, and 2 million is an insult, I have no time for these rotten cops here in Thailand, but he may have been a decent guy, his family and himself did not deserve his fate, I hope the family sue her and get 20 million, stupid dumb Hiso snob.

5million Baht how tight [ greedy ] is she if I killed someone in an accident I would think that was very cheap to clear it up and ese my conscious with regards to the family.

always providing you have that money,otherwise it isn't cheap or possible. We all make mistakes,fortunately they don't usually end in someones death, to be ruined for a mistake is unfair as i assume we all agree that this wasn't intentional. If the officer in question was tired and had to sleep,perhaps he was drunk himself, or just tired from collecting all that tea money that made up his 100k monthly wage which makes him a very corrupt little cop,hardly a credit to society and his family have been living from ill gotten gains for a long time, maybe they should give it back.

i dont get it, if it truely is an accident why would she pay anything?

has she been charged with a crime?

I don't think she has been charged with anything.

She is only currently concerned with averting a civil case which the family could pursue if a deal can't be negotiated.

Not Anna's problem. Her insurer is liable for the outcome of any civil proceedings.

All insurance have a limit that it covers and if you break the law or you break their rules they dont need to pay 1 Baht. So if she was under the influence or left the scene of the accident before her insurance and the police turned up her policy becomes void. Secondly her insurance may only cover up to B 5 million, maybe this is why she are refusing the B 6,2 million claim.

Why is she not in jail for manslaughter

Maybe because until now she has not been charged with any crime, nor is it clear she actually committed any crime,

Do you think all people involved in road traffic accidents where there is loss of life should be in jail for manslaughter?