LibreOffice? Anyone flicked MS? Opinion?

fang37

Between January 2011 (the first stable release) and October 2011, LibreOffice was downloaded approximately 7.5 million times. The project claims 120 million unique downloading addresses from May 2011 to May 2015, excluding Linux distributions, with 55 million of those being from May 2014 to May 2015.

Edited by lostoday

I don't know. I use Office 2013. I understand that the next version of Office will be cloud based without the entire program being on the local machine. I don't want that and will limp along with 2013 until that isn't viable and will then look for alternatives.

If anyone tries this LibreOffice it would be good to get some reports.

Cheers.

Never liked it as never formatted Microsoft documents correctly. The Kingsoft (now WPS Office) is much better from my view - but I am not a real user - just want correct format and printing of downloaded documents and a couple simple spreadsheets and for me this works well and the price of free is right.

http://wps.com/wps-office-personal/

In case you doubt this is real they claim more than 400 million Android and IOS users - I use in Windows fine.

I use it. Does everything I need it to. Has good compatibility with office 2003 but can yuck up on the docx/xlsx/pptx files. It exposes a lot of options that could be confusing for people who are just used to Window's way of doing things but it can actually output a file that can be read and worked on by office. It also outputs pdf which I use a lot to keep portability and the monkeys from mucking up.

I use it. Does everything I need it to. Has good compatibility with office 2003 but can yuck up on the docx/xlsx/pptx files. It exposes a lot of options that could be confusing for people who are just used to Window's way of doing things but it can actually output a file that can be read and worked on by office. It also outputs pdf which I use a lot to keep portability and the monkeys from mucking up.

I use it too. I have win office something on my computer but never use it. It's not like any microsoft products are expensive in Thailand.wink.png

I used it. I found it OK. Went back to MS Office as I had compatibility issues with legacy docs.

Libre 4.3 added legacy (2014) now running 4.4.5.2 don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by lostoday

I don't know. I use Office 2013. I understand that the next version of Office will be cloud based without the entire program being on the local machine. I don't want that and will limp along with 2013 until that isn't viable and will then look for alternatives.

Cheers.

I am using Office 365 and it installs Office 2013 on the computer for offline use. Office 2016 is available as beta is you want.

Used for a long time Kingsoft, now a day called WPS Office......... Have use Open Office a few time in the past but always went back to M$

WPS = Perfect for me cannot see any reason to buy M$ or as many do use a Pirated copy of M$.. even the old M$ Office 97 and 2003/2007/2013 M$ documents open with perfect formatting......... never used LibreOffice so my guess is try it as see if you like it.

I've used it for a couple years now. Does everything I need.

I use it, but it's partly because I don't have Windows Office. However, there are some basic things which I don't like about Libre Office. I can't get color font, cross-out font, and several other things to function with it. I had a paid editing job offer (for a book) but had to decline, because Libre Office wouldn't do those basic functions. I also haven't been able to get page numbers to show. And when I open the program, there's another problem which would take too long to explain here. All in all, I rate it C- .

I use it, but it's partly because I don't have Windows Office. However, there are some basic things which I don't like about Libre Office. I can't get color font, cross-out font, and several other things to function with it. I had a paid editing job offer (for a book) but had to decline, because Libre Office wouldn't do those basic functions. I also haven't been able to get page numbers to show. And when I open the program, there's another problem which would take too long to explain here. All in all, I rate it C- .

google libre office font color

Edited by lostoday

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Strikethrough

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Changing_the_Color_of_Text

https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Page_Numbers

Why should a customer (I paid a donation when I downloaded it) have to go get tutorials on things as basic as using color font or showing page numbers. If I was leading a team designing software, I would make it easy to use as possible. I would have simple toggle provisions (like the window on this blog response, perhaps) which enable users to make it easy-to-use.

On a similar topic: I bought a band new Nokia mobile phone for Bt.1,200. It has several flaws, and I'm too lazy to list them all here. It may be a Chinese knock-off, because I don't think the people at Nokia are dumb enough to make the multiple mistakes which my phone has. Just one example: a phone call doesn't end with just one button press. It takes two.

They should get someone like me, at Libre and Nokia, to try out their products to troubleshoot their software before they go to market. I could find several basic flaws, and thereby save them added embarrassment and costs.

I use libre office as I have Ubuntu Linux installed on my Laptop instead of Windows.

Libre is a great choice, perhaps not as advanced as the latest MS office, however, unless one's require specific features, Libre can cope with everyday office basic wordprocessing and scheduling.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using Nerdico

Why should a customer (I paid a donation when I downloaded it) have to go get tutorials on things as basic as using color font or showing page numbers. If I was leading a team designing software, I would make it easy to use as possible. I would have simple toggle provisions (like the window on this blog response, perhaps) which enable users to make it easy-to-use.

On a similar topic: I bought a band new Nokia mobile phone for Bt.1,200. It has several flaws, and I'm too lazy to list them all here. It may be a Chinese knock-off, because I don't think the people at Nokia are dumb enough to make the multiple mistakes which my phone has. Just one example: a phone call doesn't end with just one button press. It takes two.

They should get someone like me, at Libre and Nokia, to try out their products to troubleshoot their software before they go to market. I could find several basic flaws, and thereby save them added embarrassment and costs.

My mobile phone cost 20,000 and my computer 70,000. Does that mean I shouldn't read the instructionsblink.png ?

Cheers.

Cloud based versions of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are available for free (for now). Limited in the file size they can handle and probably some other constraints. Some features of existing documents also won't show. One spreadsheet I tried to open said shapes and objects wouldn't show or something similar. Can only open documents already on OneDrive or also Dropbox. Log in at Outlook.com with hotmail login and click the box in the corner with 9 squares like a phone dial pad. Works ok for viewing things. Never tried it to do editing or creation.

Other than the cheapest business plan, the subscription versions include desktop versions of the programs. No idea if the cloud ones are also more functional since Office Online is a separate selection from that box thing and requires a license to log in.

They still have one time licenses available. I suspect they'll continue to offer those for a while. But they are just pricing it so that it is several years worth of a subscription, and discounted first year subscriptions are easy to find. Going to subscription only seems to me to be pretty tough in somewhere like Thailand. Could you imagine trying to deal with customers if they've lost their login info for their accounts or payment method changes for renewals? Probably takes native speakers/writers and then that has to be done for every other similar country. Not worth it.

My mobile phone cost 20,000 and my computer 70,000. Does that mean I shouldn't read the instructions:blink: ?
Well congrats that you have a lot more money to spend on electronic gizmos than I. I'm not one for spending hours trying to decipher the small print (often badly worded) for each of the many digital devices that we're all expected to own. Note: I have a photo software from a camera I bought in 1997 (Agfa Photowise 1.0) Each of the dozen times I've upgraded computers since then, I upload that software from the original disk, and guess what: That ancient software works better and simpler than the 20 or so more advanced photo programs I could have been using (that have been developed) since then. I admit, I like software that's simple, easy-to-use and has useful functions. I can't say that about the software I've seen since 2000. If anything, software is getting more complicated, more difficult, fewer useful functions than earlier software addressing the same functions.

Note: before Windows, there was software by Ashton Tate (Framework) which did what Windows tried to do, but Framework OS offered some useful functions back then that Windows can't even offer now, 25 years later - and that was before computers had color.