Thai Disease Control and Veterinary Services: Stray dog population out of control

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He said about 700,000 of them were considered to be strays,"

I would hazard a guess there are nearly 700,000 in and around Pattaya alone!

I agree with all the other posters and their comments about people feeding the strays. I have had numerous arguments with Thai neighbours about this, especially as it is I or my Thai wife who has to clean up the shit the strays leave behind. When I take my dog for its late night walk I pick up all the food that these selfish, ill-informed people put out for the strays and put it in the nearest dustbin.

"340,000, were females. As a single female could produce as many as 10 pups a year there was the potential for the stray canine population to be bolstered by up to 3.4 million animals every 12 months."

year 1: 3.740.000

year 2: 41.140.000

year 3: 452.540.000

year 5: 54.757.340.000

So we'll have 54 billion street dogs in Thailand by 2020.....

In Phuket some years back the rabies control unit would do the rounds and if a dog wasn't wearing a tag it would be put down, I'm not sure what they used, it was as large syringe attached to a stick and it dropped them instantly. An option would be to have pet dogs registered ( free ) and tagged and put a bounty on strays, if there's a baht in it they'll soon get cleaned up.

THis was the system in use when I lived in Malaysia (50 years ago). When the dogs got their anti-rabies shot - at the government vet - they were issued with a collar tag, a different colour tag each year. Any dog without a tag or with an out of date tag was liable to be shot on sight. It worked - at that time Malaysia was the only rabies-free country in SE Asia

Edited by Farang99

This is a big problem where I live. The other morning I had 11 dogs sitting at my gate when I left in the car.

One of these dogs is savage, dangerous. I complained or at least I asked the land lord if something could be done about the stray dogs

No was his reply.

Today only one dog out there... What has happened?

I just hope they dont return.

They should be gathered up & exported to Vietnam. They love dogs.

coffee1.gif

I have 2 Soi Dog rescues that were destined for Vietnam on a meat truck. They do indeed love dogs as food. Your comment is very insensitive. I think the bigger picture is that the dogs cannot be blamed for what has happened. Indifference and a lack of a Spay and Release program are clearly huge contributing factors to the ballooning dog and cat population. Getting to grip with these two factors would definitely improve the situation long-term.

As for Thais feeding street dogs because they think its 'cute', I disagree. People, including myself, feed street dogs because they are hungry. We realise that nothing else can be done for these poor sods except make sure they have a meal in their belly. I'm sure you would do the same if you saw a starving person on the streets. To ignore it compounds the indifference that exists here.

As for the noise, disease, etc. that come with the dog population then if its really a burden perhaps move to a developed country. Don't come to Asia if these things bother you. It's rife.

I will enthusiastically back any program that humanely deals with the dog and cat population here. I have seen it work in the UAE where the stray population is now largely under control thanks to Gov policy and some very caring organisations that work closely with the Gov.

So please, before you start pointing blame to dogs and people that care, perhaps think of how you can support practical and humane solutions to this problem.

Edited by carlyj

This is a big problem where I live. The other morning I had 11 dogs sitting at my gate when I left in the car.

One of these dogs is savage, dangerous. I complained or at least I asked the land lord if something could be done about the stray dogs

No was his reply.

coffee1.gif

I have 2 Soi Dog rescues that were destined for Vietnam on a meat truck. They do indeed love dogs as food. Your comment is very insensitive. I think the bigger picture is that the dogs cannot be blamed for what has happened. Indifference and a lack of a Spay and Release program are clearly huge contributing factors to the ballooning dog and cat population. Getting to grip with these two factors would definitely improve the situation long-term.

As for Thais feeding street dogs because they think its 'cute', I disagree. People, including myself, feed street dogs because they are hungry. We realise that nothing else can be done for these poor sods except make sure they have a meal in their belly. I'm sure you would do the same if you saw a starving person on the streets. To ignore it compounds the indifference that exists here.

As for the noise, disease, etc. that come with the dog population then if its really a burden perhaps move to a developed country. Don't come to Asia if these things bother you. It's rife.

I will enthusiastically back any program that humanely deals with the dog and cat population here. I have seen it work in the UAE where the stray population is now largely under control thanks to Gov policy and some very caring organisations that work closely with the Gov.

So please, before you start pointing blame to dogs and people that care, perhaps think of how you can support practical and humane solutions to this problem.

Time to leave the thread. Good luck to the rational.

[[They have to have a yearly Cull like a lot of countries. If the animal population on certain species gets over populated they have a cull. Like Africa in national parks they have a Cull on the elegants, Canada have the yearly Cull on the baby seals.]]

Not sure if you've ever noticed but the human population is grossly out of control too all over the world , many of these "humans" are violent, noisy and disease riddled also. What's the plan for that? How can humans go on breeding at a rate that is unsustainable? Where does it end?

The government could support animal shelters with country wide sterilization programs. Some parts of Thailand have volunteer run animal shelters like on Koh Phangan that sterilize cats and dogs but they need government support . And animal registration could help also. This makes owners responsible. All strays could be sterilized and given a collar that is clearly identifiable. But going around killing animals is a contradiction to the new animal laws and the Buddhist way of life. Human troublemakers are dealt with, generally. Maybe the problem animals that attack people or are heavily diseased need to be dealt with also. Personally I think having lots of cats and dogs around is a part of Thailand. But going around killing everything in sight sounds a bit like that little infamous turd that used to go around by the name of Hitler.

everybody say that this problem should be solved "somehow" but nobody dares to offer the one and only radical solution (because of so called "animal rights" left liberal propaganda) - just shoot all stray dogs.

one human life worth more than any number of stray dog's lifes

If Thais don't want to euthanize these stray dogs, which they should do, they should at least start a massive castration campaign and go nut chopping .

Absolutely! And spay the females as well. Tag the ones that have been "fixed" so there is no question of which ones still need to be "fixed". Agressive soi dogs should be put down. coffee1.gif

This thread did pretty good, got to 2nd page before the bleeding hearts showed up. If the dog is running around loose, kill it. Let the Vietnamese eat the damned mutts. If you want to be a dog owner learn responsibility and keep it in your property. I raised and trained a German Shepherd that the kids could drag around on the floor, ride, what ever. She stayed at home and my the gods help the fool that raised a hand to my kids or me. I raised Labs for hunting birds, they did not run loose. When I lived in the mountains of New Mexico (wild country) all of us in law enforcement (there was no "animal control dept.", just us) and all the ranchers etc. shot dogs that were running loose and more than a mile from a residence, especially if they were packed up. They probably killed as many deer as the coyotes did and we shot coyotes on site. Bounty the dogs and have an enforceable law to make the owners keep them contained and shut their never ending barking up. They are starting to pack up in my subdivision and a pack of them ran our son up a wall and keep him there for 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago. Please bleeding hearts, do the people of Thailand a favor and let the Vietnamese eat the mutts.

Was driving in the gf's village (her truck), halted at a stop sign when dog crossed directly in front of the truck, laid down right in front. Couldn't see exactly where it was... under the bumper or wheel or chassis. Decided To H.With It, and drove on. Heard a loud yelp but I didn't look back. Stupid mutt.

Edited by jerojero

Of course they must be culled....actually, "cull" draws short of what should be done about strays...they should be wiped out.

One problem if they do a cull, will be well-meaning residents saving them out of pity or a sense of Buddhist piety and claiming them as "owned".

I reckon the answer is not to announce anything. Owned dogs should be inside or chained up, so have a pickup truck cruise the streets at 3 am dropping poisoned baits.

No was his reply.

coffee1.gif

"People, including myself, feed street dogs because they are hungry."

Then YOU are responsible whenever one of these animals infected with rabies bites someone. For you, the tradeoff between human misery (or even death) and concern instead for these animals seems acceptable. How do you sleep at night?

Clue: Putting these animals down (without any unnecessary suffering) IS the humane solution!

In my neighborhood soi dogs and feral cats a considerable problem. The other issue is the homeowners who let their dogs out in the morning to crap on the Soi with absolutely no thought about the fecal matter being a vector for disease. I hardly take my eyes off the pavement in my walks around the neighborhood for fear of stepping in dog poo. It is a matter of a callous disregard for one's own neighbors and the potential for spreading disease. There is a definite need for animal control officers and the tagging of animals that are legitimate pets. As for the others, put them down in the name of public health.

It is a defining characteristic of underdeveloped countries that they let stray cats and dogs run riot in urban areas. The turds attract flies which spread disease. If Thailand wants to appear more developed, they need to crack this one.

Its worse in Mexico.

Buddhism (and superstition) are the root of soi dogs in Thailand.

Post # 3 nailed it. Add to that the believe that a soi dog could be someone in the family who reincarnated as one. The reason that people in their blithering quest for "making merits" bring daily bags of food for dogs that are placed on the street, sidewalk or any public thoroughfare.

Owners of dogs keep them around or in the property because when a dog barks at night, Chinese superstition dictates that they are scaring bad spirits away from the property.

2 years ago, a lady who owned a stall in Chatuchak that sold pets went to Chiang Mai to buy dogs. One of them had rabies and bit her. Days later she was diagnosed with rabies and shortly after died. This lady was an Officer of the Animal Control Department (what a misnomer!) in Bangkok.

The reason that soi dogs are a common fixture in Bali is because the population of Bali is 95% Buddhist.

Soi dogs are one of the most salient indications that a country is undeveloped and the government does not see that it is a health problem in the making.

Only when a wide disastrous situation such as floods (which the Khmer managed to control in the 9th. century), explodes in large scale, Thailand reacts. Usually with saving face gestures but little substance.

Our host country has a long way to go towards having a well organized population, people and government, that protects the citizenry from such preventable and dangerous health problems and sadly, we Farangs, are not allowed to contribute with efforts or counseling. To be a volunteer a Work Permit is needed... TIT

while I actually like your post, your statement that 95% of the people living in Bali are Buddhist is utter nonsense. About 75% are Hindu, 23% (and growing!) are Muslims and less than 2% are "other" (including a few Buddhists maybe)

DUh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARE THEY JUST REALIZING IT NOW THAT THE STRAY DOGS ARE A HUGE PROBLEM-At least Indians worship an animal that is actually useful to humans-one that produces milk for ice cream and cheese etc etc,-what do these useless dogs do for humanity that Thais so love and worship them,basically dogs only cause much noise pollution and filth.Unlike the cows dung,Dog feces are not useful but are actually just the opposite ,they are dirty and harmful.Come on Thai people, please wake up.Thais pride themselves at not harming Dogs and mosquitoes but they kill and eat every other living being except humans so far,is that Buddhist compassion.There are 33 vegetarian restaurants in Chiang mai alone,all frequented by mainly foreigners,while even the monks all over Thailand eat flesh like animals.There is definitely something amiss here in the land of Buddha,who I myself follow, but I do so properly.What about all the filthy dogs that sleep in all the Wats.When I came to Thailand some years ago I came with the intention of entering the monkhood but when I went to the wats and saw what was happening I considered it a big step down to associate with such people and live amongst filthy dogs.Come on people-use a little common sense-it should be blatantly obvious that killing and eating of animal flesh is not something that is done by compassionate human beings.And if the Thai visa management doesn't like my truthful comment they can go to hell and remove all my privileges and I will happily never use their site again .Truth must be told.

Please clarify...Soi dogs, Farongs, Chinese tourists, Russian tourists

Who should be rounded up?

I believe the subject matter is Stray Dog's, you haven't heard me once complain about a Chinese or Russian tourist so why the question?? Mafia?? Yes, Tourists?? Nocoffee1.gif

Read the postings and it is clear there is a huge strat dog problem in Thailand (and elsewhere) and it needs to be taken care of. They are starving, disease ridden and dangerous for walkers, bikers, children etc etc. Cull the herd, spay & neuter the ones people want to take care of - in their own compound, not on the public street - euthanize the rest. They will be back in 4 or 5 years, then the cycle can be started again.

"Stray dogs were unclean, caused noise pollution and road accidents, and spread pestilence — particularly rabies."

That goes for the so called "owned" dogs too, Owners can't raise or take care of their dogs properly, and when they attack a child or a jogger they are suddenly not "owned" anymore. What kind of stupidity drives a person to get a puppy, then leave it alone around the house all day long while owner goes to work, barking and whining all day long. Then when owner comes home he lets it out on the streets to bite and maim the neighbors children, Just utterly stupid.

The concept of responsibility for your actions totally eludes the Thai population....

Then when owner comes home he lets it out on the streets to bite and maim the neighbours' children,

facepalm.gifWhat a ridiculous statement.

Dogs in my village cause far less damage and disturbance than neighbours' children (if that's what they are).

No was his reply.

coffee1.gif

"People, including myself, feed street dogs because they are hungry."

Then YOU are responsible whenever one of these animals infected with rabies bites someone. For you, the tradeoff between human misery (or even death) and concern instead for these animals seems acceptable. How do you sleep at night?

Clue: Putting these animals down (without any unnecessary suffering) IS the humane solution!

A tad strong!

I sleep at night because I'm doing the best I can in the current circumstances. What are you doing apart from blowing hot air in this thread?

I actually feel sorry for the poor creatures. There should be a program put in place to sterilize the females and yes if there are too many then there is unfortunately only the solution of putting some down.

In our street there are a few ones and there are actually some local people who did catch the females and had them sterilized (unfortunately not all can be caught).

The positive effect of the dogs is, that surely no stranger would go to the soi at night and it is also a little bit depending how you treat them so they treat you back friendly.

The problem has been made far worse with so many kind hearted (ie stupid) farangs setting up animal shelters and such, to encourage Thais not to do what they have normally done with soi

dogs previously, and that is poison them or call the "meat" man to round them up and ship them off to Vietnam. Any foreigner who feeds stray dogs should be forced to run naked covered in gravy through Klong Toey at midnight.