Thai Disease Control and Veterinary Services: Stray dog population out of control

webfact

Thailand's Disease Control and Veterinary Services Say's Stray Dog Population Out of Control

BANGKOK – The Director of the Bureau of Disease Control and Veterinary Services, Prapas Pinyocheep, said on Monday, Thailand urgently needs a new approach to control the stray dog population.

Director Prapas Pinyocheep, said the current program is not working and public health is being placed at risk, latest nationwide survey of the dog population, in 2014, concluded there were around 8.5 million dogs in Thailand.

He said about 700,000 of them were considered to be strays, and about half of this group, 340,000, were females. As a single female could produce as many as 10 pups a year there was the potential for the stray canine population to be bolstered by up to 3.4 million animals every 12 months.

Stray dogs were unclean, caused noise pollution and road accidents, and spread pestilence — particularly rabies.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-disease-control-and-veterinary-services-says-stray-dog-population-out-of-control.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-08-11

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a big problem where I live. The other morning I had 11 dogs sitting at my gate when I left in the car.

One of these dogs is savage, dangerous. I complained or at least I asked the land lord if something could be done about the stray dogs

No was his reply.

Today only one dog out there... What has happened?

I just hope they dont return.

They should be gathered up & exported to Vietnam. They love dogs.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Jessi

In Phuket some years back the rabies control unit would do the rounds and if a dog wasn't wearing a tag it would be put down, I'm not sure what they used, it was as large syringe attached to a stick and it dropped them instantly. An option would be to have pet dogs registered ( free ) and tagged and put a bounty on strays, if there's a baht in it they'll soon get cleaned up.

The soidogs also might have rabies. Keep them far away from your pets and kids.

Thai people think they are so cute so they feed them, some even have a feeding bowl outside their gate.

My opinion is that if you feed them they are your pets. And if they cause accidents or bite people then the one who feeds them is responsible.

I got bitten by the dog of a neighbour, it also damaged stuff on my property that's why i tried to catch it. I went to the owner and told her i need to go to Bungumrad on her costs but her dog was vaccinated she said.

The next day the dog came again into my garden though. wai2.gif

"Stray dogs were unclean, caused noise pollution and road accidents, and spread pestilence — particularly rabies."

That goes for the so called "owned" dogs too, Owners can't raise or take care of their dogs properly, and when they attack a child or a jogger they are suddenly not "owned" anymore. What kind of stupidity drives a person to get a puppy, then leave it alone around the house all day long while owner goes to work, barking and whining all day long. Then when owner comes home he lets it out on the streets to bite and maim the neighbors children, Just utterly stupid.

The concept of responsibility for your actions totally eludes the Thai population....

Edited by AlQaholic

In Phuket some years back the rabies control unit would do the rounds and if a dog wasn't wearing a tag it would be put down, I'm not sure what they used, it was as large syringe attached to a stick and it dropped them instantly. An option would be to have pet dogs registered ( free ) and tagged and put a bounty on strays, if there's a baht in it they'll soon get cleaned up.

Yeah I remember long time ago in my home country there was a bounty on stray cats because the population was out of control.

Many years ago I was living in a moobaan near a temple. When I stayed there during the weekends, I would hear what sounded like gunshots and I made the conclusion that the moobaan guards was culling the stray dogs in the moobaan, becuase it seemed after the weekend there where fewer dogs around.

Then one day I drove past a nearby village and there was this temple with a strange building with a tall chimney, smoke was coming out of the chimney and fireworks went up and exploded, I asked my friend what was going on and then I realized to my disappointment that this was the source of the "gunshots" I heard before....

Edited by AlQaholic

"...Thailand urgently needs a new approach to control the stray dog population..."

Has someone finally woken up from a sleep. Same thing with cats, although the dogs are much worse.

Hey, Thailand, why do you think 1st world countries have instituted "dog pounds" and "dog catchers" and dog licensing requirements? It is nice that Thailand tries to never have to euthanize dogs, but it's coming around to bite you in the arse. I'm surprised it took this long.

"They should be gathered up & exported to Vietnam. They love dogs."

I used to live in Saigon, nearly every house in my road had a dog, the only difference to there was dogs were kept on the premises, well cared for and walked daily on leads.

I have no problems with people eating dogs in whatever country ,or more importantly the culling of strays!

I am also a dog lover i have 3! yes kept on premises or walked on leads ..yes we have a lot of land so exercise is not a problem.

​Lastly stray dogs here in Phrachuap are a menace, i hit a stray at night on motorbike a week ago don't know or care about the dog but i am still bruised from the fall

"...Thailand urgently needs a new approach to control the stray dog population..."

Has someone finally woken up from a sleep. Same thing with cats, although the dogs are much worse.

Hey, Thailand, why do you think 1st world countries have instituted "dog pounds" and "dog catchers" and dog licensing requirements? It is nice that Thailand tries to never have to euthanize dogs, but it's coming around to bite you in the arse. I'm surprised it took this long.

This subject pops up once or twice a year and then fades away in the usual apathy.....

Then when the trucks full with dogs headed for the restaurants in other countries are seen, suddenly there is an outcry and everyone wants to save the dogs....What about the chicken trucks and the pig trucks, why are they not upset when they see those on the roads?

Edited by AlQaholic

It is a defining characteristic of underdeveloped countries that they let stray cats and dogs run riot in urban areas. The turds attract flies which spread disease. If Thailand wants to appear more developed, they need to crack this one.

In 8 years in Indonesia, the only stray dogs I ever saw, were in Bali. Even then, I once came across a guy with a number of gutted dogs on a bamboo pole.

They're worried about rabies, as the various apes carry the bug as well as dogs.

The Muslim areas of the country dislike dogs, and there are no strays. The Chinese/Indonesians keep large, loud and bad-tempered dogs as guard dogs.

That would not work, people would be killing any dog they could get hold of for the bounty payment.

They have to have a yearly Cull like a lot of countries. If the animal population on certain species gets over populated they have a cull. Like Africa in national parks they have a Cull on the elegants, Canada have the yearly Cull on the baby seals.

Buddhism (and superstition) are the root of soi dogs in Thailand.

Post # 3 nailed it. Add to that the believe that a soi dog could be someone in the family who reincarnated as one. The reason that people in their blithering quest for "making merits" bring daily bags of food for dogs that are placed on the street, sidewalk or any public thoroughfare.

Owners of dogs keep them around or in the property because when a dog barks at night, Chinese superstition dictates that they are scaring bad spirits away from the property.

2 years ago, a lady who owned a stall in Chatuchak that sold pets went to Chiang Mai to buy dogs. One of them had rabies and bit her. Days later she was diagnosed with rabies and shortly after died. This lady was an Officer of the Animal Control Department (what a misnomer!) in Bangkok.

The reason that soi dogs are a common fixture in Bali is because the population of Bali is 95% Buddhist.

Soi dogs are one of the most salient indications that a country is undeveloped and the government does not see that it is a health problem in the making.

Only when a wide disastrous situation such as floods (which the Khmer managed to control in the 9th. century), explodes in large scale, Thailand reacts. Usually with saving face gestures but little substance.

Our host country has a long way to go towards having a well organized population, people and government, that protects the citizenry from such preventable and dangerous health problems and sadly, we Farangs, are not allowed to contribute with efforts or counseling. To be a volunteer a Work Permit is needed... TIT

FACTS ABOUT RABIES

Annually, approximately 55,000 estimated deaths worldwide, of which about 20,000 in India and 24,000 in Africa. That represent, worldwide one death every 10 minutes. 84% of deaths occur in rural areas in Asia and Africa. 30 to 50% of deaths occur in children 15 years of age or less. Every 30 minutes, rabies kills 1 to 2 children. They are at particular risk, as they are often bitten at the head, face and arms. They are less wary of unfamiliar dogs than adults and therefore are bitten more often.

Source: Asian Rabies Expert Bureau (AREB)

More facts here:

https://rabiesalliance.org/rabies/what-is-rabies-and-frequently-asked-questions/

Do you like to be a certified rabies educator?

Log in to GARC ( Global Alliance for Rabies Control ) Education Platform and take an online course. You can also download all teaching materials as a PDF.

dog_and_child.jpg

Amazing, not one defender of the indefensible today. Similar thread a couple of weeks back had the doggie lovers spitting blood within seconds. Murder was an amazing perception of some on ridding the country of these pests. I'm in favour of the baht per dog option above, otherwise you'll have every security guard claiming the vermin around them as pets. It will certainly keep the dog owners on their toes. For every responsible dog owner there seems to be an irresponsible one.

Edited by englansi

3 things every visitor sees that confirms Thailand is not a developed nation: Litter, wires everywhere, and the dogs.

Two of these things could be fixed within a year, if they were made as important as the lottery ticket price.

Thais won't notice as these have become ingrained in their consciousness.