Thai Ministry list of 'farang forbidden jobs' is a barrel of laughs

webfact

Ministry list of farang forbidden jobs is a barrel of laughs

By Coconuts Bangkok

alien.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Jobs like "paper hand job," "Berth blanket mitt work," and "some hand-twisting spiral" are strictly prohibited for foreigners, according to this useful list published on the Ministry of Labor's website.

To publicize Thailand's employment laws, the Ministry of Labor conveniently put up an English-language list of prohibited jobs for foreigners titled "Career aliens do not."

At this time we cannot verify yet, but we are guessing that they were targeting actual aliens to read the list judging by the cryptic nature of the prose.

"Career aliens do not." it says, "Not alien to the professional set of career. Professional and not an alien to do. Set in professional video and tea alien life that do not. 2522."

According to the list, foreigners are prohibited from driving vehicles for a living but they can totally "pilot countries." [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/11/ministry-list-farang-forbidden-jobs-barrel-laughs

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-11

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmers gas party animals of the forest - see who's buffalo can do the largest fart in the forest

I often wondered

Paper hand job - farang not allowed to wipe up the mess

Edited by smedly

Direct your mirth at Google Translate or Bing.

It should not be humour directed towards the Ministry, but pity. No English speakers in the office? I can hardly credit that. The pity is that the boss that approved the promulgation could not condescend to ask advice from a subservient.

Mind you, to be fair...if you are not bilingual you would not know that these online translators are atrocious.

Edited by Seastallion

Normally i would say why put things in English we are here in Thailand and people should learn Thai. However as this is clearly aimed at foreigners the least they could have done is put someone with some basic skills on it and have someone proofread it.

This is real disgrace and shows us what nepotism and corruption leads too. Clearly the person who did this work is absolutely unsuited for his / her job.

Here is the list.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

I'm particularly gutted by no. 21. (the card) I've always been a bit of a card.

I didn't know no. 23 (Job Buddha) was based in Thailand nor up for grabs. I would have thought non-Thais could do that elsewhere, though.

No. 18 (Lghn a job) baffles me completely but I suspect it's what the compiler of this list does.

Normally i would say why put things in English we are here in Thailand and people should learn Thai. However as this is clearly aimed at foreigners the least they could have done is put someone with some basic skills on it and have someone proofread it.

This is real disgrace and shows us what nepotism and corruption leads too. Clearly the person who did this work is absolutely unsuited for his / her job.

The person? Mr. Google Translate?

Here is the list.

I didn't know no. 23 (Job Buddha) was based in Thailand nor up for grabs. I would have thought non-Thais could do that elsewhere, though.

No. 18 (Lghn a job) baffles me completely but I suspect it's what the compiler of this list does.

18 confused me as well, though 19 is equally odd.

Job Thai dolls?

"Career aliens do not." it says, "Not alien to the professional set of career. Professional and not an alien to do. Set in professional video and tea alien life that do not. 2522."

Glad that's been cleared up then.

Quite obviously in reference in not allowing Martians who work for PG Tips making any TV ads 500 years in the future.

I'm just gutted i can't work as a gold or silver otter. I've been taking swimming lessons for ages.

I am baffled by number 1. The proletariat - Isn't that just being of or from the working classes?

On a serious note if there are any EAL teachers, doing a 'jobs' topic here, this could be your next lesson plan, spot the mistakes and rewrite so it actually makes sense - And for homework have them translate it back into Thai (just for a laugh)

Edited by jonclark

The person? Mr. Google Translate?

Is it google translate? I know that it can give eccentric translations (once spent good hour helping the office staff in my condo correct a google translation of a rental agreement) but this is a whole new level of incomprehensibility even by their low standards. .

Have to agree with Rob above...

As we are in Thailand, would not say the Thai government has any requirement to have this information available in English ....

.... But if they are going to have the English translations available, then should ensure they are at least understandable.

The Ministry should be totally embarrassed by this horrendous translation, but of course they won't be. They'll all think it is a wonderful job.

Or as they might put it: job full of question and musings. Edited by Bluespunk

Here is the list.

Oh no, look at what ThaiVisa have done.

We've embarrassed the Labour Ministry to take down the English webpage - well done everyone!

(it was OK 15 minutes ago, but now has gone)

This proves my suspicion that TVForums are actively monitored by planted Govt agents!

post-100612-0-11167200-1439270789_thumb.

Edited by tx22cb