Apply for retirement visa within Thailand

Hi all,

I’ve just been through Suvarnabhumi airport and the lady officer said to me that since I have 6 visa exempt stamps in the last 12 months, next time I want to enter the country I need a visa. Since I’m over 50 I’ve been thinking about getting a retirement visa so I guess I need some advice on that if possible. I’m an offshore worker on a 28/28 rotation with 3 weeks left in Thailand.

I’ve read somewhere that the 800K needs to be in the account 2 months before applying and that some paperwork can’t be more than a few weeks old before it is presented to immigration which brings me to my question on what to do first and in which order. Finally the rent contract for the house we live in the Udon area might be in just my gf’s name so that could be a problem I believe. I could add my name at the bottom or just ask the landlord to rewrite the contract I suppose.

Thanks a lot in advance.

You first need to put the 800k in the bank.

Next you need a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension of stay.during last 30 days of the 90 day entry of the visa.

I suggest you make a trip to Vientiane.to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. You will need your bank book showing the 800k baht and a letter from the bank confirming your balance.

Then after you enter the country go to Udon immigration to get a single re-entry permit for the 90 day entry the visa will give you. The re-entry permit will keep the 90 day entry valid when you your return form your next trip out for work.

When you return from your trip you can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement as soon as the money has been in the bank for 60 days. You will need another letter from the bank and your bank updated. After you get your extension you can get a multiple re-entry permit that will allow you to make your trips out and back for the length of your extension.

You will need to have your girl friend write a short letter stating you are living with her and then attach that to her rental contract.

• Like 1

Hi Ubonjoe,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Are there any forms to fill in that you know of to take to the Thai embassy in Vientiane along with the bank book and the letter from the bank? Also is there a particular template wanted by the embassy for the letter from the bank confirming the balance or any official scribble from them with a stamp and signature at the bottom will do? You never know I’ve read the embassy people can be pretty fussy and I wouldn’t like to waste a trip to Vientiane.

Thanks again.

All you need at the embassy consular section is the visa application form New Vientiane Form July 2015.pdf

Their is no template for the letter from the bank. Just a letter confirming your balance. The bank should know what is needed because they are done for extension applications. There have only been a couple reports of the embassy asking for the letter and both people that were asked and didn't have it still got their visa.

Try to make your trip to Vientiane on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday and Thursday are busy because that is when when visa run vans show up.

I was reading other posters in other threads and all the complications they had in Vientiane staying overnight, missing paperwork etc. Just thinking I need to go to Bangkok at some point so is there a place I could get the non-o visa in there during the next week or so? Thanks again.

I was reading other posters in other threads and all the complications they had in Vientiane staying overnight, missing paperwork etc. Just thinking I need to go to Bangkok at some point so is there a place I could get the non-o visa in there during the next week or so? Thanks again.

No

On what basis would you be applying for a non-O visa?

No

On what basis would you be applying for a non-O visa?

Over 50 retirement visa. See my post at the top.

Cheers

You are much better off going to Vientiane. There have been many people that gotten their non-o visas without a problem. The few posts by people that may of had a problem are much less than the ones that did not.

You can get a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration but it takes 2 trips 15 days apart to get it. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to do it.

Ubonjoe

Have there been any reports of anyone managing to get a retirement extension/visa on a combinaton application recently.

I know it was possible a year or so ago.... but I haven't heard of any lately.

I have documentation from the U.S. Social Security of an pension of $ 1740 monthly, a bank account of 150,000 Thai Baht... which should add up to over 900K annually.

I will be getting a U.S. embassy income letter of $1740 monthly and I can get a bank letter showing a bank balance of 150,000 Baht on deposit for more than 90 days now . By September it should be 200K funds on deposit in a Thai Bank account.

Question is..... will that be enough by using the combination method.

Will they still let me use a combination of bank funds and monthly pension income that totals over 900K.

I know it was possible in 2013 but is it still possible now?

Ubonjoe

Have there been any reports of anyone managing to get a retirement extension/visa on a combinaton application recently.

I know it was possible a year or so ago.... but I haven't heard of any lately.

I have documentation from the U.S. Social Security of an pension of $ 1740 monthly, a bank account of 150,000 Thai Baht... which should add up to over 900K annually.

I will be getting a U.S. embassy income letter of $1740 monthly and I can get a bank letter showing a bank balance of 150,000 Baht on deposit for more than 90 days now . By September it should be 200K funds on deposit in a Thai Bank account.

Question is..... will that be enough by using the combination method.

Will they still let me use a combination of bank funds and monthly pension income that totals over 900K.

I know it was possible in 2013 but is it still possible now?

Yes it is still possible to use the combination method to do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry at immigration and then apply for the extension.

You just need the total of 800k baht or more.

You can also do a combination to get a non-o visa in Vientiane or Penang.

Should the OP's girlfriend file a TM30 with Udon immigration for everything to be legit? To show that she notified them of a foreigner staying at her address?

Hi NancyL thanks for raising the point. The T30 appears to be a form intended for housemasters, owners and possessors of the property to fill in and not for simple tenants but correct me if I’m wrong. So maybe as Ubonjoe was saying a letter from my gf stating I’m staying at her address should suffice.

Cheers

Should the OP's girlfriend file a TM30 with Udon immigration for everything to be legit? To show that she notified them of a foreigner staying at her address?

Hi NancyL thanks for raising the point. The T30 appears to be a form intended for housemasters, owners and possessors of the property to fill in and not for simple tenants but correct me if I’m wrong. So maybe as Ubonjoe was saying a letter from my gf stating I’m staying at her address should suffice.

Cheers

A tenant is a "possessor" and has a responsibility for complying with the law which includes completing and submitting a TM 30.

I have no idea as to whether this aspect of the law is enforced in your area, if not I expect it soon will be.

Cheers

A tenant is a "possessor" and has a responsibility for complying with the law which includes completing and submitting a TM 30.

I have no idea as to whether this aspect of the law is enforced in your area, if not I expect it soon will be.

I stand corrected!

It hadn't been enforced in the past in Chiang Mai, but now it is. Immigration officials had a "raid" on our condo building -- one of the largest in the city -- a couple weeks ago and spent hours in the office going over records with the juristic person manager and even went so far as to ask the security people to go knock on doors and ask certain people to come down to the office with their passports. Those subletting units via AirB2B were in big trouble -- or rather their "guests" were.

Long-time residents like ourselves weren't bothered. So, I don't know what they were using as "cross-checks" to see if a unit was occupied and appropriate reports were on file at Immigration. Maybe utility bills or something. (There is one central room where all the electric meters are read, so the juristic person mgr. knows which units are occupied.)

Edited by NancyL

I've just spotted this in the Thai Royal Embassy in Vientiane website:

For Lao nationals Or those aged 50 years old. Or wishing to take lives in retirement in Thailand.

Documents to be submitted include a visa.

1. Resume
  2. Certificate revenues of at least 65,000 baht a month from the embassy / consulate of the country of residence or certificate, in order to show the financial status of at least 800,000 baht and in the bank account for not less. Over 3 months
  3. Evidence of a criminal background check from the residence.
  4. Medical certificate

It's a poor translation but I think it's clear enough. I can't recall reading in any recent threads of people who have being there and been asked any documents such as medical cert and criminal background check.....Has anyone?

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php

If that's not the right page am looking at can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks a lot

The key word in that is Lao national. Those are the requirements for them or a legal resident of Laos to apply for a OA visa.

None of that applies to you. There is nothing on the website for getting a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. What you have been told in this topic is what you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I like some clearance about application for retirement visa.

now I am 50 years old staying in Phuket.

tourist visa 2 months till 08 sep

800 k on the bank since 27 july (so will be 2 months there 26 sep)

do I have to go imm 1st week of sep ask for 30 day extension tourist visa

can I immediately ask for transfer to non O without having to go to BKK ?

or I go KL or Penang or Vientiane ask for a non O with bankbook 1 month 800 K and house lease ?

or I wait my 30 days tourist visa , and go 7 oct to KL, Penang or Vientiane ? to apply for the non O retirement

Thanks for your advice

Incobart

There is no "retirement visa"

Phuket immigration does not do "conversions" from tourist visa entries to a non "O" visa entry.

If your aim is to secure an extension of stay based on retirement you would be best advised to obtain a non "O" visa in Penang and then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa will allow.

Edited by nowretired

There is a statutory requirement for the money to have been in the bank for two months.

Phuket requires a letter from bank, an updated bank book and 3 months bank statements certified by the bank.

Will you have an "O" visa on Sept 8 ?

Without the "O" visa you cannot ask for an extension. Immigration may refuse to process an application if more than 30 days validity remain on the permission to stay obtained from the "O" visa.

I have no idea about KL but do know an "O" visa can be obtained from Vientiane or Penang.

You could visit the immigration office in Phuket town and ask about their specific requirements.

Edited by nowretired

I searched some more info, seems like KL is a no-go penang is ok

some say only need passport bankbook , even if not reach 800k or 2 months you can get but only a single. recommended to use a agent.

( 1 said also can do everything in imm phuket, but this I doubt, will go check myself first)

for 1 year extension, it NEED to be 800k and 2 months min, and bank statement

I hope this info is correct, if there are other experiences pls let me know

Immigration may refuse to process an application if more than 30 days validity remain on the permission to stay obtained from the "O" visa.

Is that right? I have a non-O based on retirement exp on 17-Nov-15 and am returning to Thailand at the beginning of Oct-15 using my single re-entry I’ve recently got. So if that’s the case I better off waiting until the 18-Oct-15 or later before going to immigration to get a multiple entry extension then.

Cheers

Immigration may refuse to process an application if more than 30 days validity remain on the permission to stay obtained from the "O" visa.

Is that right? I have a non-O based on retirement exp on 17-Nov-15 and am returning to Thailand at the beginning of Oct-15 using my single re-entry I’ve recently got. So if that’s the case I better off waiting until the 18-Oct-15 or later before going to immigration to get a multiple entry extension then.

Cheers

I think you misunderstand (or me) but I think they want to say if you here in thailand and you go to the office ask for an extention for ex 50 days before the end, they will ask you to come back and do it in the last 30 days. nothing to do with arrive in Thailand

I think you misunderstand (or me) but I think they want to say if you here in thailand and you go to the office ask for an extention for ex 50 days before the end, they will ask you to come back and do it in the last 30 days. nothing to do with arrive in Thailand

Kind of asking nowretired to possibly elaborate on that 30 days “rule” to see if it’s strictly enforced by most immigration offices or else. I’m just curious to hear some more comments about it if anyone has any.

My previous post implied I was going to be already in Thailand when applying for the extension.

Cheers

Kind of asking nowretired to possibly elaborate on that 30 days “rule” to see if it’s strictly enforced by most immigration offices or else. I’m just curious to hear some more comments about it if anyone has any.

My previous post implied I was going to be already in Thailand when applying for the extension.

Cheers

Some offices are known to process extensions up to 45 days prior to the expiry of the permission to stay date. You should ask what the policy of your local immigration office is ..........