This the first time during my time here that I use this term.just came back from a visa run to Penang and upon re entry the guy from the visa company told me I have to pay 200 the or show 20 000 thb as per requirement.

nope I thought

Though went to the immigration officer and his first question has been where the 200 baht are though I played A bit stupid and asked which 200 thb and I haven't read anything about an additional fee.he told me one of the requirements to enter the kingdom is to proof to have sufficient money( in my case 20 000thb) during my stay.i said no problem and presented him my platinum Thai credit card but he declined it.ok officer here is my bank book with much more than 20 000thb in but still not good enough...

Can you imagine that just 5000 people enter this border checkpoint daily that would be 1000000 thb a day...nice little earner

• Like 1

I always keep 600 dollars in a roll up cylinder in my shorts for these little incidents.

Get the odd smile from the female immigration officers too!

CC it sounds like a new one for Phuket maybe...was this at the airport?

No it was the land border...

Btw Smokster are there no other reason for the roll up cylinder in your trouser???

I always keep 600 dollars in a roll up cylinder in my shorts for these little incidents.

Btw Smokster are there no other reason for the roll up cylinder in your trouser???

I don't really have 500 Bucks cc....I'd just phone my gf and tell her to berate the immigration officer....trust me no 200 Baht would be paid!

• Like 1

I don't really have 500 Bucks cc....I'd just phone my gf and tell her to berate the immigration officer....trust me no 200 Baht would be paid!

I mean to increase the volume at a certain part of your trousers and therefore a cylindrical shape...you(remember the last compliment from your side555)

• Like 1

This the first time during my time here that I use this term.just came back from a visa run to Penang and upon re entry the guy from the visa company told me I have to pay 200 the or show 20 000 thb as per requirement.

Nothing new, there are hundreds of reports about this happening at Sadao / Dannok, location that you did not mentioned.

If you had read the forum before going you would have known.

Sometime people on the minibus borrow money from each other, Then when immigration realize that is being done they start noting bill numbers.

Just more of SAME SAME !

Corruption & SCAMS @ Thailand Immigration.coffee1.gif

Yes, isn't it great. In other countries, with stricter enforcement of the rules, the OP would have been turned away for not having adequate funds. That could have cost him a lot more than the 200 baht tea money.

• Like 1

Just more of SAME SAME !

Yes, isn't it great. In other countries, with stricter enforcement of the rules, the OP would have been turned away for not having adequate funds. That could have cost him a lot more than the 200 baht tea money.

Yes but in this country they keep moving the goal post & I O make up there own rules.

Just more of SAME SAME !

Yes but in this country they keep moving the goal post & I O make up there own rules.

The 20,000 baht rule has been there since at least 2010. That's hardly "moving the goal posts" or "making up their own rules".

• Like 1

The money could be withdrawn so in effect 20,000 would not be in the account when passing through imigration. Its known that this may be asked for, as said immigration are giving you the option to pay a small fine so as to enter.

I suggest people watch Border Control Au...many are turned away even though they have a valid visa, immigration cancel it and return them without sufficient proof they are going to work or are not legitimate

But if you show a Thai bank book with more then 20k it should be ok and not subjected to the 200bt fee. So that is making up their own rules.

No. The rule is that you have to show cash. There's no "making up their own rules".

If a Thai bank book were to be acceptable (which it's not), there would need to be a letter from the bank confirming the balance and a transaction in the book dated the same day if the letter is not dated the same day. Those are the standards which Immigration uses to accept a bank balance as proof of wealth.

The OP either didn't bother checking the rules or chose to ignore them, so having to pay the 200 baht is his own fault.

• Like 2

But if you show a Thai bank book with more then 20k it should be ok and not subjected to the 200bt fee. So that is making up their own rules.

No. The rule is that you have to show cash. There's no "making up their own rules".

If a Thai bank book were to be acceptable (which it's not), there would need to be a letter from the bank confirming the balance and a transaction in the book dated the same day if the letter is not dated the same day. Those are the standards which Immigration uses to accept a bank balance as proof of wealth.

The OP either didn't bother checking the rules or chose to ignore them, so having to pay the 200 baht is his own fault.

Proof of sufficient funds.. please tell me where that states that is has to be cash ?

Otherwise your just hot air.

Proof of sufficient funds.. please tell me where that states that is has to be cash ?

It doesn't have to be cash. Travellers cheques are also acceptable.

A bank book is not because it is not "proof of sufficient funds". The account holder could have withdrawn all the money and not updated the passbook.

Where is the cylinder hidden ? Anally ? Alongside your shank made from a toothbrush and old razor blade :D

Just more of SAME SAME !

Are those countries developed? That is to say, not third world? Where there may be a chance some visitors may take advantage of their generous social welfare systems? If not, name them.

A bank book is not because it is not "proof of sufficient funds". The account holder could have withdrawn all the money and not updated the passbook.

I asked for proof.. not your interpretation. The 20k could be loaned from the local money lender too.

Officially where does it say it has to be cash ?

I asked for proof.. not your interpretation. The 20k could be loaned from the local money lender too.

It's not just his interpretation, it's a fact, whether you know it or not. If you want to see the official regulation then perhaps you should do your own homework.

It's not just his interpretation, it's a fact, whether you know it or not. If you want to see the official regulation then perhaps you should do your own homework.

The general rule is that if you state something you have to prove it, he states it has to be cash so he has to come up with proof. Not me, i asked for proof. This is law principle too that if you state something you have to prove it. So he has to do his homework not me.

affirmanti incumbit probatio

Edited by robblok

Did the OP get a receipt for the 200B.

I doubt it so once again its corruption, or ?

Of course it's corrupt, no-one is denying that, but the OP is no less corrupt as he was party to the transaction he's complaining about because he couldn't prove that he had 20,000 baht as required.

Do you think that the OP asked for confirmation in writing from the IO that he entered the country illegally having not satisfied the country's regulations?

Did the OP get a receipt for the 200B.

I doubt it so once again its corruption, or ?

Of course it's corrupt, no-one is denying that, but the OP is no less corrupt as he was party to the transaction he's complaining about because he couldn't prove that he had 20,000 baht as required.

Do you think that the OP asked for confirmation in writing from the IO that he entered the country illegally having not satisfied the country's regulations?

Actually in this case whoever is forced to pay is being extorted of the money and is a victim of crime., because they are compelled to pay up to have a normal administrative act performed.

When an officer or public servant abuse the system and misuses regulations for their own interest the blame is on them 100%. Saying otherwise is being apologetic to the crime of corruption.

Also note, the cash requirement can be asked, but is not mandatory to have it, like for example having a valid passport. There is a big difference,

• Like 2