Thai Caravan Rolls Through Siem Reap on Cambodia Tour

geovalin

Khmer Times/Naomi-Collett Ritz

PHNOM PENH (Khmer Times) – Led by Thai radio show host Pattanadesh Asasappakij, a 30-car caravan wound its way through Siem Reap Tuesday morning after a whirlwind tour of Cambodia.

The caravan arrived in Pailin from Chanthanabury, Thailand on August 8 before making its way to Battambang, then to Phnom Penh and finally Siem Reap.

The caravan’s road trip ends in Bangkok on the night of the 11th. Mr. Asasappakij has also organized and led similar fleets through the streets of other Asian countries like Myanmar and Laos. He leads these caravans because of his renown as an auto industry journalist and radio host in Thailand.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/14292/thai-caravan-rolls-through-siem-reap-on-cambodia-tour/

Somehow I can't see the reverse happening in Thailand: week-long promotion tours by Cambodia, Vietnam or Mayanmar.

Can you imagine other ASEAN countries promoting their own cultures, religions and histories in Thailand? It would be a threat to Thai national security!

Since the Junta sees Thailand as the Hub of Tourism, one travels OUTBOUND and not INBOUND.

Thais have like 10 times more cars and money than citizens of any of the countries mentioned. Not to mention the difficulty in getting a Burmese registered car outside of the Thai border towns it's not going to happen. In the same way Chinese are driving their cars down to Se Asia in caravans but not the other way around. Pretty logical and obvious if you've ever been to any of these countries.

Imported goods are very expensive in Cambodia too. Where did you get the idea they're cheaper than Thailand smotherb? Just today I saw $12 bottles of wine being sold at Bonjour stores in Siem Reap. That's like 420 Baht. I can find similar red wine at any Thai supermarket for like 299 Baht as well as far more variety. Also saw $9 cheese at a Phnom Penh Aeon supermarket. Talk about ridiculous prices. In Thailand the same cheeses while not cheap are around 175-189 Baht.

Imported goods are very expensive in Cambodia too. Where did you get the idea they're cheaper than Thailand smotherb? Just today I saw $12 bottles of wine being sold at Bonjour stores in Siem Reap. That's like 420 Baht. I can find similar red wine at any Thai supermarket for like 299 Baht as well as far more variety. Also saw $9 cheese at a Phnom Penh Aeon supermarket. Talk about ridiculous prices. In Thailand the same cheeses while not cheap are around 175-189 Baht.

I saw 500gm Aussie Rib Eye steak dinners with all the fixings for B400. A large carafe of red wine with apples, Roqueforte cheese, and baguette loaf for B350 at a nice PP French restaurant. Also a large selection of Spanish and Chilean wines for B120-B280 a bottle. Asked the proprietors at all three places where they got them so cheaply, the answer was a unanimous, at several distributors. Likewise, all imported spirits sold in the girlie bars were B60-B120. My favorite, Jack, was regularly B105, and B85 in a Pub Street bar in S'ville. Petrol 95 was B25-28, Saw nothing imported which was more expensive than it is in Thailand--and I do not live in a farang ghetto, so I am used to cheaper Thai prices.

Petrol is alot more expensive in Cambodia than Thailand. Diesel around 3850 Riel (about 34 Baht) at the very lowest at Total in Siem Reap while unleaded was up to 5000 Riel. In Bangkok 22.89 Baht for diesel and up to 27 for gasohol 95. Good thing I refueled to full before crossing the border and didn't have to refuel in Cambodia. Not to mention I don't know if any petrol stations in Cambodia accept credit cards. Maybe Caltex and Total do but I wouldn't count on it.