Non O based on marriage applying in Hong Kong

TV,

I've seen conflicting information concerning getting a multi-entry non immigrant O based on marriage from Hong Kong. Does anyone have any wisdom or recent success stories?

I'm well aware Savanaket is an option but I was wanting to take the missus for a holiday in Hong Kong.

I need the visa to be a 1 year multi-entry as this will be supporting document for my work visa in Angola.

Regards,

Kurt

My wife and I are Hong Kong residents ( UK / Chinese ), 50+ years of age, in the process of applying for retirement visas in HK Thai Consulate, but different officers provided various information : one said will issue 3 months ONLY once our applications are approved, another one replied will issue one year visa once our applications are approved, but need to apply for the multiple entry within 90 days as soon as we are landed. Let's wait and see the outcome after 2-3 months.

Meantime, we are also very confused by their financial requirements. THB800,000 ( already opened a joint name account in Bangkok Bank a year ago confirming this amount ) is accounted for a family, or just myself ? My wife needs another THB800,000 account in her own name ? Any comments ?

If you intend getting a 12 month extension in Thailand for retirement you need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank in your name only.

Your Wife can get a 12 month extension as your dependant. No money in the bank needed.

If she wishes to apply for the 12 month extension for retirement in her own right she will need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank in her name only.

Up to her what way she wants to go.

Thank You, Lite Beer !

One more point to add : HK Thai Consulate did not take property deed into account even we had bought a condo ( a year ago ) to secure our retirement applications, the reason they interpreted we both are farangs ; they said unless one party is Thai. It seems the rules here are more tight.

I'm doing mine in Singapore in a couple of weeks,it runs out on 22/9 I'm in Thailand 18th and back to Singapore on 21st , then off again on 24th , so I my try and get it before the other one runs out 15th 16th , something like that

Mr. Lite Beer, you replied, " . . . you need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank in your name only. . . ", since our Bangkok Bank Account is in joint name, does it mean we have to change it into my sole name only NOW ? then we will loose the time period ( Thai Consulate requires to show at least 3 months statements to apply for a Non-O Retirement Visa )? Please advise the most appropriate way to handle.

We desperately need a firm answer from the members, because we have just purchased air tickets, will fly down from HK to Bangkok on t7th ( coming Monday ) in dealing this matter with Bangkok Bank.

Mr. Lite Beer, you replied, " . . . you need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank in your name only. . . ", since our Bangkok Bank Account is in joint name, does it mean we have to change it into my sole name only NOW ? then we will loose the time period ( Thai Consulate requires to show at least 3 months statements to apply for a Non-O Retirement Visa )? Please advise the most appropriate way to handle.

We desperately need a firm answer from the members, because we have just purchased air tickets, will fly down from HK to Bangkok on t7th ( coming Monday ) in dealing this matter with Bangkok Bank.

The consulate will probably accept the joint account. Most locations don't require the money to be in the bank for 2 or 3 months to get a single entry non-o visa..

Immigration will not accept a joint account to apply for the extension. There are a few that may accept them if you have 1.6 million baht in the bank. The money only has to be the bank for 60 days to apply for the first extension.

Many thanks, ubonjoe !

My thinking is : -

(1) I will try to convince the Bangkok Bank deleting my wife's name without affecting the time period ( one year standing ) IF they permit, that THB800,000 thus can be used for my own retirement visa application ;

(2) My wife has >USD25,000 in her Hong Kong HSBC ( latest 3 months standing ) for her own retirement visa application.

In case these 2 methods both failed, I will just use the joint-name account for myself retirement application, then apply my wife on dependent visa, does it work this way ?

Look forward to receiving immediate helpful reply.

Not sure about the HK consulate but most would issue your wife a non-o visa as your dependent when you get yours. You would need your marriage certificate when you do it that way.

1. I think you will need to open a new account.

2. They might accept that to issue her a non-o for being 50 or over.

If you get your extension at immigration you wife can get an extension as your dependent with no financial proof need for her.

Thanks again, Ubonjoe,

1. Since our lease of the condo we are living in HK will be expired this coming end of October, to open a new account NOW with my name ONLY is not having enough time to establish the bank statements history ( HK Thai Consulate confirmed they need us to show the latest 3.5 months bank statements + bank letters ).

2. We found these complications after 3 current separate visits at HK Thai Consulate during late July and early August. They were not consistent to explain / clarify regarding the Non-O retirement visas requirements, different versions we obtained. On the last visit, one officer even said EACH OF US need to prove the money USD25,000 = THB800,000 originated from a prominent bank ( HSBC ) in Hong Kong since our applications are started here, advised us later to open a Thai bank account within 30 days after landing.

3. We previously mentioned that Bangkok Bank account opened a year ago in joint name mainly of dealing the condo transaction ( in joint name also ), at the time we thought everything was in hands that good enough to secure our applications.

However, the nightmare begins ! Whatever way it will be you guys suggest, NOW is in fact running out of time to open a new account solely under my name either in HK or in Bangkok, (1) to meet their 3.5 months latest bank statements + bank letters; (2) to relocate in Thailand once our HK lease is expired at the end of October ( of course the landlord don't mind to collect more rents if we are willing to stay for another 1-2 months here, but this is the last resort I will choose because the condo in Thailand we purchased last year is left empty that we intend to move down there asap ).

Finally, we decided to try Bangkok Bank to delink / delete my wife's name & apply her on dependent visa, I think this is the most convenient way in time-wise.

Why not consider coming to Thailand on tourist visas ?

On arrival the bank issue can easily be resolved and you could convert the tourist visa entry to a non-O entry in Bangkok by demonstrating you meet the requirements for an extension of stay.

Alternatively you could arrive with a tourist visa and then obtain a non "O" visa from Penang or Vientiane. (proof of being able to meet the financial requirements for an extension would be needed)

Money only needs to be in the bank for 2 months at the time an extension is first applied for. 3 months for all future applications

Edited by nowretired

It seems they are making things difficult at the consulate. If you cannot get the non-o visas you could get single entry tourist visas.

If both of you plan on applying for the extensions based upon retirement you could then do a change of visa status to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok or one of the offices authorized to accept the application.

Or you could make a trip to a Vientiane or Penang to get your non-o visas.

Hi guys,

Thank you very very much of all your advice.

Since we intend to bring along lots of household items / personal effects ( will have a shipping company to make a container ) to our new home in Thailand. Come in on a single entry tourist visas and later apply for 90 days extensions via Penang / Vientiane will not give us the privilege to import all our belongings in October, unless we have to store in a Hong Kong warehouse ( means another huge storage fee need to be spared ). GOD knows how long the changing visas ( your suggested ways ) will take ? Hong Kong is a very expensive place to live and to store things in a warehouse is very costly.

Last thought, still will try the Bangkok Bank first next week, see how it goes, come back Hong Kong to continue the process.

THANKS !!!

Hi guys,

Thank you very very much of all your advice.

Since we intend to bring along lots of household items / personal effects ( will have a shipping company to make a container ) to our new home in Thailand. Come in on a single entry tourist visas and later apply for 90 days extensions via Penang / Vientiane will not give us the privilege to import all our belongings in October, unless we have to store in a Hong Kong warehouse ( means another huge storage fee need to be spared ). GOD knows how long the changing visas ( your suggested ways ) will take ? Hong Kong is a very expensive place to live and to store things in a warehouse is very costly.

Last thought, still will try the Bangkok Bank first next week, see how it goes, come back Hong Kong to continue the process.

THANKS !!!

Are you sure about import privileges?

You can check here

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects

Hi nowretired,

Already checked with the Custom Dept. in the HK Thai Consulate during our last visit at early August. He said for Non-O Immigrant retirement visas, personal effects will NOT be taxed, but used household furniture / electrical appliances definitely will be taxed, we asked how much ? He replied each item is assessed differently, most likely with be up to the discretion of the Custom Officer at Bangkok upon arrival.

There are few pieces of "big" Chinese-Style furniture and "huge" ancestral painting inherited from my wife's father that we would like to bring along.

Thanks for your provided link.

Hi nowretired,

Already checked with the Custom Dept. in the HK Thai Consulate during our last visit at early August. He said for Non-O Immigrant retirement visas, personal effects will NOT be taxed, but used household furniture / electrical appliances definitely will be taxed, we asked how much ? He replied each item is assessed differently, most likely with be up to the discretion of the Custom Officer at Bangkok upon arrival.

There are few pieces of "big" Chinese-Style furniture and "huge" ancestral painting inherited from my wife's father that we would like to bring along.

Thanks for your provided link.

Judging by the "help" you have reported as receiving from the HK Thai Consulate the content of that link may be worth reading.

Edited by nowretired

Hi nowretired,

The page on the link you provided + other info from Thai Consulat, me and my wife both actually read thoroughly before these 3 visits.

When we talked to the guy who works in HK Thai Consulate - Custom Dept., regarding to bring our household stuff, at the same time, did show him the printed page ( same as your page on the provided link ), he just ignored, saying Non-O immigrant visas are not to be literally included / translated according to that descriptions on the paper. He chose to explain in a different way, when he saw us being mystified, he promised to verify further with other officers and would call us back afterwards on the same day, of course, he did not respond anymore.

This is typical Thai behavior, everybody knows their words / actions all depend on their mood when you run into it on a particular day ! "ALWAYS CHANGING" !!!

Nothing we can do, but PRAY !!!

Hi mgb,

1. Using our joint name account with Bangkok Bank because THB800,000 is sitting in the account for more than a year already, simply fulfilled Thai Consulate requires to show them the latest 3.5 months bank statements. The problem is, from the beginning, we never realized THB800,000 is accounted for one person ONLY, and members here alerted us to be in "individual" name. In conclusion, we conclude to delink / delete my wife's name if bank allows ( assume they will not recount from the date of the change ), is the most convenient way in terms of time-wise.

2. >USD25,000 solely in my wife's Hong Kong account ( HSBC ) are not long enough ( just 3 months by early September ) to meet their 3.5 months bank history requirements.

We are now looking forward Bangkok Bank can offer some help !

Thanks your suggestion anyway.

Hi Guys,

We valued all your advice.

Thai Consulate already emphasized, "initial Non-O Immigrant retirement visas ( the very first time ) need to be applied from the origin of the country where you are residing".

Since we both are Hong Kong residents, that means, applications have to start here, there are no short-cuts.

Once again, thank you everyone devoted your time and effort in answering all our questions puzzling in our mind !

Hi Guys,

We valued all your advice.

Thai Consulate already emphasized, "initial Non-O Immigrant retirement visas ( the very first time ) need to be applied from the origin of the country where you are residing".

Since we both are Hong Kong residents, that means, applications have to start here, there are no short-cuts.

Once again, thank you everyone devoted your time and effort in answering all our questions puzzling in our mind !

That second sentence is simply not true, as has been explained, unless you are attempting to apply for an O/A visa which is very different from an "O" visa.

Edited by nowretired

Hi ubonjoe & nowretired,

You both are right !

Enclosed attachment, that's what we have in hands right now, applications for Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" ( Long Stay ).

Since we have no clear knowledge about all different visa types in Thailand, when we visited HK Thai Consulate in late July saying we wish to retire in Thailand, that's exactly what they have given us.

As we have already booked the air tickets flying out to Bangkok on coming Monday, we better stick to our original plans I think this is the best solution, under the condition that there are no other alternatives.

Sorry for confusing everybody !!!

Guidelines.pdf

You never mentioned also needing a medical or police certificate. You only mentioned proof of income or we would of known it was a OA visa you were getting.

Normally embassies and consulates will only accept proof of funds in the country where you are applying. It certainly does not need to be in Thailand already.

For both of you to get OA visas would require you both have the equivalent of 800k baht in the bank.

You need to check with the consulate to see if they will accept the funds you have here in a Thai bank in a joint account for you to apply for the OA visa.

If your wife has the money she could get the OA visa and you would get a single entry non-o visa as her dependent.

Hi ubonjoe,

It is our own faults, without thorough understanding from anybody / from any sources regarding the logistic differences of Non-O & Non-OA right at the beginning + without clear explanations initiated from HK Thai Consulate, that makes the whole issue becomes more difficult and sounds ridiculous to us.

Since we have to fly tomorrow, too late to change the course. (1) We will try our best to convince Bangkok Bank to delink / delete my wife's name and allow me to preserve the bank statements history ; if this succeed, come back Hong Kong to show Thai Consulate, see whether they accept it or not ; if this failed, come back Hong Kong to follow your advice, use my wife's HK bank account as the major applicant and me to be her dependent. (2) If both methods are unacceptable, then we will take everybody's previous opinion : apply Non-O Immigrant visas ( one of us to be the dependent ) inside Thailand, later re-apply for Non-OA there. If this way works, then we store our home belongings in a Hong Kong warehouse temporarily until things are smoothly sorted out, the shipment comes afterwards.

At this moment, what all I can say : "go with the flow" !

The last but not the least, I truly thank you for all your helpful hints and advice to unlock all our mysteries about this Non-O Immigrant visas / Non-OA retirement visas.

• Like 1