Non O based on marriage applying in Hong Kong

Hi ubonjoe,

It is our own faults, without thorough understanding from anybody / from any sources regarding the logistic differences of Non-O & Non-OA right at the beginning + without clear explanations initiated from HK Thai Consulate, that makes the whole issue becomes more difficult and sounds ridiculous to us.

Since we have to fly tomorrow, too late to change the course. (1) We will try our best to convince Bangkok Bank to delink / delete my wife's name and allow me to preserve the bank statements history ; if this succeed, come back Hong Kong to show Thai Consulate, see whether they accept it or not ; if this failed, come back Hong Kong to follow your advice, use my wife's HK bank account as the major applicant and me to be her dependent. (2) If both methods are unacceptable, then we will take everybody's previous opinion : apply Non-O Immigrant visas ( one of us to be the dependent ) inside Thailand, later re-apply for Non-OA there. If this way works, then we store our home belongings in a Hong Kong warehouse temporarily until things are smoothly sorted out, the shipment comes afterwards.

At this moment, what all I can say : "go with the flow" !

The last but not the least, I truly thank you for all your helpful hints and advice to unlock all our mysteries about this Non-O Immigrant visas / Non-OA retirement visas.

Regarding your option (2)

An O/A visa cannot be obtained from other than your country of residence in your case HK

I suspect the HK Thai Consulate will not issue non O visas based on being over 50. If that proves to be the case then you will need to arrive in Thailand using a tourist visa and subsequently obtain an "O" as described earlier in the thread.

Once you have the "O" visa, which permits a 90 day stay, your next step is to apply at in immigration office for an "extension of stay based on retirement". This can be done during the last 30 days of the 90 provided by the "O" visa.

Should you feel the need for further advice in relation to obtaining the extension of stay just ask here!

Hi nowretired,

Confirmed your method with a UK friend who has a Thai girlfriend, using the way you described here. They are 6 months living in UK and 6 months living in Thailand.

I am very "English", after we got married, all our accounts and properties are in joint name ( except my wife has one in her own name since from the first year she started working ), the logic is whoever dies first, the other partner will have no difficulties of assessing the money in our joint-name accounts and selling the properties.

We never ever thought this "joint-name" has brought up so much cumbersome we are now encountering. Anyway, no good of crying over split milk.

I also thank you wholeheartedly for your patience and answers guiding us along, definitely will try your provided method if all ways failed in Hong Kong.

I may have found a cunning plan to get out of doing visa in Singapore. I finish work here officially on 24/9 , I was going to Thailand on 18 and back 21st, visa expires 22. But thanks to 24th being public holiday and me having 3 days annual leave left , I don't have to go back to Singapore,should get 90 days when I come back in on 18th sept , yes ? So I'll stay in Thailand until I go to work in Malaysia in October

I may have found a cunning plan to get out of doing visa in Singapore. I finish work here officially on 24/9 , I was going to Thailand on 18 and back 21st, visa expires 22. But thanks to 24th being public holiday and me having 3 days annual leave left , I don't have to go back to Singapore,should get 90 days when I come back in on 18th sept , yes ? So I'll stay in Thailand until I go to work in Malaysia in October

What visa do you have?

What visa do you have?

Spousal ,1 year multi entry

If you enter on the 18th and the 22nd is the enter before date on your visa you will get another 90 day entry.

Thank you , I recall people telling me they went out/in a few days before there date of entry ran out an getting 90 more days , ive never done it but it will come in handy now

Anyone have experience of KL embassy for spousal non imm multi , could go to penang of course but would require a couple of days off in the week

What visa do you have?

Enjoy the 90 days!

• Like 1

I assume you have a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate. Not an extension of stay from immigration.

If you enter on the 18th and the 22nd is the enter before date on your visa you will get another 90 day entry.

Thank you , I recall people telling me they went out/in a few days before there date of entry ran out an getting 90 more days , ive never done it but it will come in handy now

Anyone have experience of KL embassy for spousal non imm multi , could go to penang of course but would require a couple of days off in the week

Look at your visa sticker and check what your enter before date is. If you enter on or before that date you will get another 90 entry.

You will not get a visa in KL. In Penang you will need to show 200k to 400k baht in the bank or proof of an equal income. Savannakhet Laos will do one without financial proof.

Hi Guys,

We are still in Thailand.

An agent could offer me and my wife a SUPER-FAST service : -

Non-O ( 3 months ) immigrant visa x 2 people + 12 months extension based on retirement x 2 people + multiple entry permits x 2 people + they responsible to set up individual name bank account ( THB800,000 in each, even WITHOUT us to put a penny in them ) for our income proof + NO medical certificates and NO Police Records are required. All these can be done within 5 working days inside Thailand, charging total fee THB80,000 for 2 people.

My questions are : -

1. Does it sound logical ? Does it worth to do so ? Is this a trap ?

2. Service fee THB80,000 ( 2 people ) reasonable or not ? Is this the market price ?

3. Are these agents trustworthy ?

4. I should just go back Hong Kong to apply the Non-OA, to go through the hard work on our own. Using our joint-name BKK accounts, I am the major applicant, my wife will be my dependent ; or vice versa - using my wife's Hong Kong Bank account, she is the major applicant, I will be her dependent.

Welcome all your's comments / advice. Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Non-O ( 3 months ) immigrant visa x 2 people + 12 months extension based on retirement x 2 people + multiple entry permits x 2 people + they responsible to set up individual name bank account ( THB800,000 in each, even WITHOUT us to put a penny in them ) for our income proof + NO medical certificates and NO Police Records are required. All these can be done within 5 working days inside Thailand, charging total fee THB80,000 for 2 people.

2. Service fee THB80,000 ( 2 people ) reasonable or not ? Is this the market price ?

4. I should just go back Hong Kong to apply the Non-OA, to go through the hard work on our own. Using our joint-name BKK accounts, I am the major applicant, my wife will be my dependent ; or vice versa - using my wife's Hong Kong Bank account, she is the major applicant, I will be her dependent.

Even without an agent, no police record or medical certificate are ever required for an extension. And the money has to be in bank only for one person only (single owner account). The others applies as a dependent.

The common price for what you would be getting (corrupting an officer so that the money deposit time requirement is not looked at) cost Bt 20,000 or less per person.

Edited by paz

Hi Guys,

Go for it!

You have received good advice here but the decision is yours to make .

Take care the "offer" could be seen to be, at the least, fraudulent.

80,000 Bht ?

cheesy.gif

Edited by nowretired

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Eventually we chose to apply our retirement visas in Hong Kong Thai Consulate.

Anyone know the answer . . . . . I have just been granted one year OA multi-entries visa by the Consulate, my wife 50+ is applying for dependent visa but they told us would issue ONLY 90 days single entry for her, not one year multi-entries to run concurrent with mine. Does this mean she has to re-apply every 90 days ? And, what is the logic for this ?

For my OA visa, they mentioned I have to report within 90 days to local immigration once landed, is that it then for 9 months or do I have to report every 90 days ? Need to pay any fees for the reporting ?

Highly appreciate any comments.

Once in Thailand your wife can use her "O" visa to apply for an extension of stay as your dependent.

The extension will match your "permission to stay" period.

To apply you should both visit an immigration office. You will need photocopies of both passports, visas, entry stamps, and departure cards. The cost will be 1900 Bht.

If you plan to travel outside the Kingdom your wife will need a re-entry permit.

90 day reports will be required from you both for every 90 period spent in country.

Hi Guys,

Eventually we chose to apply our retirement visas in Hong Kong Thai Consulate.

Anyone know the answer . . . . . I have just been granted one year OA multi-entries visa by the Consulate, my wife 50+ is applying for dependent visa but they told us would issue ONLY 90 days single entry for her, not one year multi-entries to run concurrent with mine. Does this mean she has to re-apply every 90 days ? And, what is the logic for this ?

For my OA visa, they mentioned I have to report within 90 days to local immigration once landed, is that it then for 9 months or do I have to report every 90 days ? Need to pay any fees for the reporting ?

Highly appreciate any comments.

During the last 30 days of her 90 day non-o visa entry your wife can apply for an extension of stay as your dependent, The extension will be equal to the remainder of your one year entry when she applies.

Hi,

A further thought, is there any reason for the Consulate to treat my wife as "second class" applicant and not grant her a one year multi entries at the beginning ?

All she could possibley get from the consulate would be a multiple entry non-o visa that only allows 90 day entries for a year.

Now that extensions are allowed the are only doing a single entry visa that can be used to apply for a an extesnon

Hi Ubonjoe,

Sorry if I am being a bit slow, but I don't really understand your reply, do you mean that as they will only grant a 90 day visa then it has to be a single entry and not a multiple entry ?

I believe that what is being said is that the Consulate will only issue a single entry visa because an extension of stay can be applied for in Thailand.

Hi,

A further thought, is there any reason for the Consulate to treat my wife as "second class" applicant and not grant her a one year multi entries at the beginning ?

All she could possibley get from the consulate would be a multiple entry non-o visa that only allows 90 day entries for a year.

Now that extensions are allowed the are only doing a single entry visa that can be used to apply for a an extesnon

Hi Ubonjoe,

Sorry if I am being a bit slow, but I don't really understand your reply, do you mean that as they will only grant a 90 day visa then it has to be a single entry and not a multiple entry ?

You seemed to be under the impression that she would of gotten a visa that would of allowed a one year entry like your OA visa will allow. What they issued in the past was a non-o visa that allowed unlimited 90 day entries for a year which means she would of had to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days for new entry.

Since August of last year it is now possible for her to get an an extension of stay at immigration of the single 90 day entry she will get from the non-o visa they will issue.

Hi Guys,

I think you all misunderstand my main concern : why Consulate have to make the dependent ( one party, in my case is my wife ) to jump many hurdles / difficulties to earn one year multiple entries, why they are not giving the same type of visas to both of us especially marriage certificate was provided at the time ?

Hi Guys,

I think you all misunderstand my main concern : why Consulate have to make the dependent ( one party, in my case is my wife ) to jump many hurdles / difficulties to earn one year multiple entries, why they are not giving the same type of visas to both of us especially marriage certificate was provided at the time ?

If your wife was able to apply for the same visa as yours then she would get the same visa that allows you to get unlimited one year entries for a year.

It is not the consulates fault. It is the rules for getting a OA visa. See http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Hi Guys,

Your wife could have had the same visa but she would have had to provide evidence of having 800,000 Bht which was entirely separate from any finances shown by yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Eventually, me and my wife are ready to relocate, retiring in Thailand.

As previously mentioned, we need a small container shipping our stuff, currently we have received quotations from Crown, Sante Fe, Allied Pickford, Relosmart, Asian Tigers, SwiftRelo . . . . . , there are huge price gaps amongst these companies !

Our frustration is, should we choose a 5-star one, or a 3-4 star one because (1) 5 star ones are pricey, very expensive, but guarantee to provide a stand-a-lone crate + a speedy professional service; however we worry need to pay 5 star "tea money" to Thailand Custom since the crate is 5-star that they will ask a rocket "tea money". (2) 3-4 star ones are moderate charges, but using groupage shipping method; of course we also worry 3-4 star "tea money" will not satisfy the Thailand Custom who might hold back / cause hassles ( open the container/cartons, tax item by item, . . . . . ) + possibly might loose a few boxes because of grouping.

Big thanks for any constructive comments.