Questions on obtaining a UK passport

Situation is: My niece's British husband died unexpectedly. They are legally married and have a 9 yr old son. I believe the boy is eligible to obtain a UK passport.

Questions are: 1. Is the boy eligible to obtain a UK passport?

2. I went to the UK.GOV website, spent much time trying to figure out: Do they issue UK passport in BKK? Where? Any contact numbers available?

3. My understanding is that the boy does not need a UK birth certificate, a local thai birth certificate is ok, translated to English of course. Is this correct?

4. Does the fact that the father passed away have any bearing on the issuance of a UK passport to his son? I know this should have been done sooner. But we never know we may not be here tomorrow.

Appreciate any information provided on this subject...

Yes, she has the long birth certicate. I'm sure she has everything she needs, all translated already. Was going to send it off to the UK, but somewhere here I read that they issue passports in BKK, but cannot find any info on it.

Can she go to bkk with her son and apply? Where/address of office? Appointments available?

Lots of info on this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/

Probably better to post questions there. Until 2 years ago it could all be done via post with the help of the British Consulate in Chiang Mai. Now it must be done through Bangkok. The thread above has lots of info from people who have applied under the new procedures.

Be warned, British government systems are not there to serve Brits. You will appreciate the US a lot more after going through this.

• Like 2

Too late now but i thought it always best to inform/register any birth with pertinent Embassy if passport may be wanted some day in the future.

Makes no difference for the UK. Registering the birth is simply that, a registration of birth. The documents and procedures to confirm citizenship are the same regardless of whether the birth has been registered.

Edited by naboo

Where is your niece located?

If in or near Pattaya I am aware of a paid assistance service for renewing / obtaining a first UK passport. This is via Key Visa, near Big C on Sukhumvit Road.

I have used Key Visa a few times for obtaining an Income Confirmation letter from the UK embassy and found them to be very efficient.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/

Probably better to post questions there. Until 2 years ago it could all be done via post with the help of the British Consulate in Chiang Mai. Now it must be done through Bangkok. The thread above has lots of info from people who have applied under the new procedures.

Be warned, British government systems are not there to serve Brits. You will appreciate the US a lot more after going through this.

Ah but the vast majority of "Brits" out side the UK are non resident and dont have to submit a tax return every year irrespective of where they are in the World and have no legal obligation to declare any savings they have over $ 10k LOL

Trust me i would rather be dealing with " British systems" every couple of years getting a new as opposed to be doing tax returns for a country i dont live in every year and having to tell them how much money i have in a bank ;)

Ah but the vast majority of "Brits" out side the UK are non resident and dont have to submit a tax return every year irrespective of where they are in the World and have no legal obligation to declare any savings they have over $ 10k LOL

Trust me i would rather be dealing with " British systems" every couple of years getting a new as opposed to be doing tax returns for a country i dont live in every year and having to tell them how much money i have in a bank wink.png

Not correct. If you receive a UK pension government and/or private then you have to complete tax return unless they tell you not to. I complete mine every year and receive P60s.
But the vast majority of Brits living outside the UK are not pensioners or even drawing pension :rolleyes:

Your being rather myopic if you think pensioners are the vast majority of UK nationals living outside the UK it may seem that way to you only living in Thailand

Edited by Soutpeel

Trust me i would rather be dealing with " British systems" every couple of years getting a new as opposed to be doing tax returns for a country i dont live in every year and having to tell them how much money i have in a bank wink.png

Not correct. If you receive a UK pension government and/or private then you have to complete tax return unless they tell you not to. I complete mine every year and receive P60s.
But the vast majority of Brits living outside the UK are not pensioners or even drawing pension rolleyes.gif

Your being rather myopic if you think pensioners are the vast majority of UK nationals living outside the UK it may seem that way to you only living in Thailand

Guess you must live in Pattaya or similar, where I am 90% plus British expats are on a pension, they don't all have 20K to keep in the bank doing nothing.

You have already been to the UK Passport site . Download all the application forms and instructions , there are special forms to apply for childrens passports , read the details carefully . Follow the proceedure to obtain a certified copy of the long birth certificate . You have to go to the UK Gov. office in Bangkok , by prior appointment on line , it is just inside Soi 13 off Sukamvit Road . The application download instructions give you the address . An adult will sign documents for the child . The proceedure will take more than six weeks .

The building is called Trendy House and you may need proof of address for yourself and child translated into English as well!!! In fact do it as I turned up 18 months ago without ( it isn't listed on the website ) and luckily did it one day - another story. If you are missing any document they will not process the application and the proof of address is one that is required. And download 2 copies of the application form as it is not an easy thing to navigate for the first time. They don't like tip-exed out print and use a black pen and Block letters as stated - all these little things people forget or miss.

You have already been to the UK Passport site . Download all the application forms and instructions , there are special forms to apply for childrens passports , read the details carefully . Follow the proceedure to obtain a certified copy of the long birth certificate . You have to go to the UK Gov. office in Bangkok , by prior appointment on line , it is just inside Soi 13 off Sukamvit Road . The application download instructions give you the address . An adult will sign documents for the child . The proceedure will take more than six weeks .

The building is called Trendy House and you may need proof of address for yourself and child translated into English as well!!! In fact do it as I turned up 18 months ago without ( it isn't listed on the website ) and luckily did it one day - another story. If you are missing any document they will not process the application and the proof of address is one that is required. And download 2 copies of the application form as it is not an easy thing to navigate for the first time. They don't like tip-exed out print and use a black pen and Block letters as stated - all these little things people forget or miss.

nealthewheel

which address is proof required for - UK address or Thailand address (if you have both)?

What form of address proof is required (for each)?

In the case of the OP, it will be the mother making the application on behalf on the child, so a Tabien Baan and translation is needed.

Proof of address is for address in Thailand, internet bill in applicant's name or similar.

Check out the following link, it should have all the information you need to get started. There is an email address where you can contact them if you have any further questions but the child is eligible for a U.K passport, you just need to make sure you have all the documentation required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand--2