Thailand, burma, cambodia, laos all seem to have the same culture

Howitzer

if you look at the countries and the people of south east asia you would notice that those 4 countries that i have listed all seem pretty similar in terms of culture, manners, even the people look similar even if their language and writing script are different. Then indonesia and malaysia, brunei are similar with the philippines not really that similar slightly more different then you notice then ya malaysia is only connected to thailand via a small land bridge while indonesia, philippines, brunei are not connected to the main asian landmass. Vietnam is markedly different from all of them and is more similar to china in fact vietnam used chinese script until fairly recently.

Burma food sucks, they use way to much oil and if u just crossed the border they dont serve real Burmese food

Usually on day trips its $10 or 500 baht if you dont have a $10 bill

When i travel there i try an find either a Chinese restaurant or only eat Shan food.

Although they might on the surface appear the same but they are very different EXCEPT lower Laos and Essan area which was

populated by mostly Laotians years ago

The Cambodian script is a tad different. Although if you know Thai or Lao it isn't a far stretch.

Not even close. Khmer is not related to Thai or Lao, which are both tonal languages. Khmer is not.

I suppose the script looks similar to someone who can't read any of those languages, however.

It seems all of you should research culture. Cultural differences may not be immediately noticeable; perhaps you lack enough exposure to these cultures.

Culture is generally considered to be comprised of seven elements—customs and traditions, social organization, religion, language, the arts, political structure, and economic systems.

Of course there are similarities in Thai, Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese cultures; likewise there are also differences. For they have both similarities and differences among these seven elements.

Look at other groups of countries; Europe, for example. Differences between the Northern European countries and the Southern ones may be most apparent, but they also have similarities. Germanic is different than Franco, which in turn is different than Anglo, which all differ from Latin, which is different from Norse, which is not the same as Slavic.

These may be termed national cultures. However, there are local cultures, where behaviors and norms differ even though there may be no line on a map separating the locale. Think of how many differences you can think of in the customs and traditions of the European countries; then think of the similarities.

Language is a function of culture, look at the colloquial language differences on Great Britain. They may all speak the same language, but in very different manners.

Religion too is a function of culture. The countries you mention are all Buddhist; that may account for some of their similarities. Spain, France, and Italy share Catholicism and the Mediterranean, and their cultures are often equated. They are similar in some ways, but oh so different in others.

It seems all of you should research culture. Cultural differences may not be immediately noticeable; perhaps you lack enough exposure to these cultures.

Culture is generally considered to be comprised of seven elements—customs and traditions, social organization, religion, language, the arts, political structure, and economic systems.

Of course there are similarities in Thai, Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese cultures; likewise there are also differences. For they have both similarities and differences among these seven elements.

Look at other groups of countries; Europe, for example. Differences between the Northern European countries and the Southern ones may be most apparent, but they also have similarities. Germanic is different than Franco, which in turn is different than Anglo, which all differ from Latin, which is different from Norse, which is not the same as Slavic.

These may be termed national cultures. However, there are local cultures, where behaviors and norms differ even though there may be no line on a map separating the locale. Think of how many differences you can think of in the customs and traditions of the European countries; then think of the similarities.

Language is a function of culture, look at the colloquial language differences on Great Britain. They may all speak the same language, but in very different manners.

Religion too is a function of culture. The countries you mention are all Buddhist; that may account for some of their similarities. Spain, France, and Italy share Catholicism and the Mediterranean, and their cultures are often equated. They are similar in some ways, but oh so different in others.

Interesting post, I like it.

While reading your examples of Europe. it occurred to me that everything you say applies to the United States.

North, South, East West and mid west USA...all same same, but different.

I think the Thais are a step above the Laos and Cambodians. It shows in their cities.

Here we go again, Thailand is better than Laos and Cambodia. The OP was talking about culture, not who has the most malls. Bangkok is trying to be London and is failing miserably. I can assure you that it was a far more interesting city 30 years ago.

I've lived in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia. To work in Thailand I had to learn to speak Thai or I couldn't communicate with most of my staff as they had no drive to learn the international business language. Not so here, I've lived in Cambodia for nigh on a decade and have never had to learn Khmer, most of my current staff speak English very well, and I manage a small local company, so who is a step above who as far as ambition and eagerness to succeed goes........oh, and 'culturally'?

I think the Thais are a step above the Laos and Cambodians. It shows in their cities.

Not true. The Cambodian and Laotians are victims of their past. The American War greatly enriched Thailand and set them on a course for strategic development. However, now their neighbors are outpacing them in growth, education and eventually infrastructure.

I imagine as far as asians are concerned - all farangs are the same

I don't agree with that. From personal experience, the Vietnamese never asked me for as handout. They were just hard because of 'The American War'. The Pinoys did at almost every turn. I lived there 5 years and havden't been back for 10, enough said. The Khmers may be hard and selfish at times, blame the Khmer Rouge and their insanity for instilling that, but in 10 years here, no one, other than beggars on the street, has asked me for anything and most have been very helpful and kind when I've needed help.

That said, as always, one man's meat.....

Actually, Filipinos and Malaysians are the same people (Malays) and did you know that the Philippines was proposed to be called Malaysia, but instead decided to honor Spanish King Philip? A couple of years ago, some Filipinos made the news when they landed on Borneo and said it was theirs based on historical ownership. Kind of interesting. When the Spanish arrived in Philippines, they noted that Islam had already spread to what is now Malaysia. So...same people (historically) but now very different religion, food, customs, etc.

Interesting post, I like it.

While reading your examples of Europe. it occurred to me that everything you say applies to the United States.

North, South, East West and mid west USA...all same same, but different.

You mean similar? Same same but different is just strange. Similar is the word.

The Kymer Empire was well and truely established BEFORE Laos, Burma and Thailand (and Cambodia which WAS the Khmer Empire) Those countries developed their cultures FROM the Khymers. If you want to insist that there are NO similarities ... good for for you. Live in ignorance.

As for the Scots ... their culture was established BEFORE the English took over.

Like I said ... those posts are thick as mud.

PS...I've lost count of the times I've been to Laos over the years, I've visited Cambo many times and lived and worked there and I've made 3 visits to Myanmar.

I rest my case.

Isn't it a little ironic that many Thai people think all farangs are alike and that we all look alike too?

Until they get to know us and learn a little about us.

Somewhere in there is the answer the OP needs to consider.

Yes, and most northern look and act the same too....in fact, they all use the same currency...don't they?

And think about it..aren't most Africans pretty much the same?

Maybe we are on to something here?whistling.gif

If I didn't know you were kidding, I'd take offence... but I know better, thank goodness. I live on the continent of AFRICA, born and bred here... but I am really Malay... and there are lots of us here. But I get what you are saying about generalizing. giggle.gif