respect

lovelomsak

I would like to make it clear what I state here isnot politic it is simply giving respect to a man who is deeply misunderstood. And is having a difficult time doing the right thing. I have nothing but praise for how he will do what no one before him had the fortitude to do.

I just want to say how much I respect the new Prime Minister.

Before I ever came to Thailand I read and understood it was military ran government. When I retired here and got caught up in recent happening I paid little attention to the fact the military really ran things.I thought I saw Democracy developing. Being used to democratic governments i felt quite comfortable. But I was mistaken to think democracy would prevail. Of the 48 asian countries only 20 are democratic. Democracy is a western way of governing. It seems to not work here. And does it need too?

Here are the 20 democratic countries.

• Bangladesh - generally considered a liberal democracy with free and fair elections.
  • Bhutan - a state that has recently made the transition from an absolute monarcy to a liberal democracy with a constitutional monarch.
  • Cambodia - a liberal democracy under a constitutional monarchy.
  • India - the world's most populous democracy since independence.
  • Indonesia - a republic with a presidential system of rule.
  • Iraq - holds a democratic constitution and has held regular elections since the downfall of Saddam Hussein.
  • Japan - a parliarmentary representative democratic monarchy, with the Emperor holding only nominal power.
  • Lebanon - a parliamentary democracy following the cedar revolution.
  • Kazakhstan - a presidential republic with a bicameral legislature.
  • South Korea
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Mongolia - a parliamentary republic.
  • Nepal- a recently established republic following the overthrow of the monarchy.
  • Pakistan - a semi-presidential federal democratic republic.
  • Philippines
  • Singapore - parliamentary republic.
  • Sri Lanka
  • Timor-Leste
  • Turkey - a parliamentary representative democrac.

I now feel i understand the new Pm and respect his decision to let the country know things arenot going to change forever. He has put it in writing and will have it made law that the military is the real power and no one will dispute it. He has the fortitude to stand up and let everyone know not hid behind false governments. He is willing to put an end to in fighting by simply having it made law the military run Thailand. and learn to live with it. Its always been that way it is just that in the last 30 years the rest of the world has taken notice of Thailand and now its time the rest of the world faced up to the real Thailand and left it alone to govern itself the way they please and know. I see what is happening as something that needs to be done Thailand is an Asian country not from the west why adapt to all western things

I'm in awe of his plastic bag policy at the moment,it's ingenious.

Yes it is good practice of training the people to do as he says. Start small, but get people to follow. Until it is normal to do as he says. Will take less than 2 years and people will respond to what he asks them to do without question. And in time all he brought in will be normal because the young are raised with it in place.

So you don't think limiting the use of plastic bags is a good thing?

I think it's a fabulous idea.

BUT let's start with the facts,most Thai people in rural areas have no refuse collection per se.

So the daily ritual at 5 pm of burning plastic bags and household waste continues to this day.

If his lordship said he was going to ensure that all household waste from the nation will be collected at least weekly for free,and the waste was separated and recycled accordingly creating thousands of jobs and building recycling plants nationwide I would agree.

But the prohibition of banning the nation from using plastic bags for one day a month seems like the holy grail to some but it is one step ahead of its time.

In a country which continually struggles with water resources and such it's a nice idea but I'm not being fooled by these token gestures.

Wikipedia is a great tool, but it doesn't tell everything.

Cambodia a liberal democracy?

India...a friend worked in a state with the communist the ruling party and the Maoist biggest opposition, he would disagree with many positive things.....

Thailand is doing well in compare....

Yes it is good practice of training the people to do as he says. Start small, but get people to follow. Until it is normal to do as he says. Will take less than 2 years and people will respond to what he asks them to do without question. And in time all he brought in will be normal because the young are raised with it in place.

I don't think it's good for the people of any nation that has a government that forces them to "do without question". Not very democratic that.

So you don't think limiting the use of plastic bags is a good thing?

I think it's a fabulous idea.

BUT let's start with the facts,most Thai people in rural areas have no refuse collection per se.

So the daily ritual at 5 pm of burning plastic bags and household waste continues to this day.

If his lordship said he was going to ensure that all household waste from the nation will be collected at least weekly for free,and the waste was separated and recycled accordingly creating thousands of jobs and building recycling plants nationwide I would agree.

But the prohibition of banning the nation from using plastic bags for one day a month seems like the holy grail to some but it is one step ahead of its time.

In a country which continually struggles with water resources and such it's a nice idea but I'm not being fooled by these token gestures.

Nah, First burn is in the morning with first cup of coffee. Be nice of have garbage service. The art of compost is unheard of, everything burns.

Wikipedia is a great tool, but it doesn't tell everything.

Cambodia a liberal democracy?

India...a friend worked in a state with the communist the ruling party and the Maoist biggest opposition, he would disagree with many positive things.....

Thailand is doing well in compare....

Yes I did paste wikipedua.

I didnot have the time or skills to research myself.

Thank you for the criticism on some countries being democratic. If you could be of help in showing that there are actually less than 20 asian countries that are democratic it would be greatly appreciated. It would help me make the point that Asian countries didnot develop with democracy and govern in a different way than the west and we westerners need to accept this fact. The present PM of Thailand is the first coup leader brave enough to put it in writing so there can be no disputing who is in charge.

The new charter will place the military solidly in place and leave no doubt and no opportunity for it to be any other way. The military will never give up their power and the Pm is man enough to state it in writing. What he does may not please westerners but running his country is not a popularity option. He is simply laying down the law. A person may not like what he does but should respect him for his dedication.

I don't think it's good for the people of any nation that has a government that forces them to "do without question". Not very democratic that.

Not democratic for sure but does it need to be democratic? If the people are conditioned to another way best to let them chose their own path.

Being a 'prime minister' suggests voting, elections, democracy, best man for the job, chosen by his peers.

Now, remind me again how the current "Prime Minister" achieved this post ? Apologies but I have forgotten. Could you remind me please? thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

He took over from a caretaker government that wouldn't or couldn't pay its bills and was happy to just squabble and bitch about how hard done by they were!

Not democratic for sure but does it need to be democratic? If the people are conditioned to another way best to let them chose their own path.

Yes thats right, what works best for them, western foreigners grew up under a democratic system, 2 thirds of the world prefer a different system, there are a few one party states that work just fine, its pretty obvious that Thailand needs a firm hand governing it, enough with civil unrest the ordinary people have suffered enough no Thai i know is unhappy about the current political situation.

Being a 'prime minister' suggests voting, elections, democracy, best man for the job, chosen by his peers.

Now, remind me again how the current "Prime Minister" achieved this post ? Apologies but I have forgotten. Could you remind me please? thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

He took over from a caretaker government that wouldn't or couldn't pay its bills and was happy to just squabble and bitch about how hard done by they were!

You forgot to add that it was a government dominated by the Shinawatra clan.

Organized and efficient criminality that was opposed by massive street protests in Bangkok until the seat of government was on the verge of anarchy.

Yes it took it through military power. Thats what we need to understand about Thailand it is military lead. It may appear to outsiders as not being the right way to run their country but we have no say. It is the nature if military governments to stay in power because they are military and can defeat any and all opposition. Thais applauded the coup so it goes like the old saying " be careful what you wish for". People may not like what the present government does but thats what they have. . they have no choice now, they made their choice and now must accept and get on with life same as always..

The present government got there by show of military power and will keep it by military power how hard is that to understand and Thai people will accept so should you and all others.The coup was made possible by the people staging months long protests. Without the support of the people the military would not have had the opportunity or reason to take power.Thousands of thais wanted it they got it. They made their bed now sleep in it.

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Political Discussions:

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Election/Political Discussions
As a result of the great increase in posts about politics in Thailand, we are requesting that members keep political discussion confined to threads already open in the Thailand News Forum.
Non-political topics in General which are hijacked with political arguments will see posts removed without further notice.

Members who cannot comply with our request will risk a posting suspension.

And let's not forget NO discussion of the Monarchy in a political context. An immediate ban is possible.

Link to forum rules regarding the Monarchy: Here

Thanks for your understanding and participation on Thaivisa.

Thaivisa moderating team

Closed