Who is into Thai stock exchange?

Hello folks.

About the subject, want to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Any pros cons, terror stories with the broker, etc.... (Generally brokers are thai with fluent english?)

If they are farang or upmarket brokers, more commissions/charges I'm assuming?

Or in general as to the Thai market.

Also is it compulsory to use a broker I'm assuming?

I think I've heard somewhere, someone does trading by internet without brokers etc.

Thanks in adv krab.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trading via internet without brokers does not exist.

My broker is Maybank KimEng which is also the largest brokerage in Thailand. Never had any issues with them. They are very helpful. Would even call me on the phone if they realise that I'm trading a warrant which is about to expire.

I trade with Kim Eng too for the Thai market. Very easy and good trading technology. I don't have a lot interaction with the broker since I trade everything electronically except some IPOs or corporate action questions I had. Otherwise commission very low and good service. I guess you get similar services from other Thai brokers too.

Trade yourself over the internet, many services available, been doing it 3 years, cannot short the market, Bualuang Securities Bangkok Bank, Thanachart, and many more, need good internet connection

Start with settrade.com website, commissions very low...

Kim Eng best online for Thai.. i opened my account in singapore. easier than opening in Thai.

Thai exchange also very small market some good movers.

Best to trade the market you comfortable with to begin.

Same for my Thai Wife.

She has been trading for over 10 years.

Now -- she is with me on Maui, Hawaii and she starts trading at 5:30pm local time.

- She is also part of an "Investment Group" of traders that talk often throughout the day.

- Her broker often takes 4-5-6 of her investment friends with her to dinner.

- Another broker she uses is big into "technical analysis" and helps the group a lot.

- Brokers don't seem to be too "pushy" but do like to give a lot of advice.

- Phapassorn is on-line at 5:30pm Hawaii time until midnight each trading day.

She makes a little bit of BAHT, but LOVES USA Dollars.

Best of luck to you all.

Steve

Kim Eng best online for Thai.. i opened my account in singapore. easier than opening in Thai.

Thai exchange also very small market some good movers.

Best to trade the market you comfortable with to begin.

I use both Kim Eng and Tisco. The service is good from both but I prefer the Tisco website. Be careful around 4pm as the market often drops rapidly from day traders selling off. Use Google to track shares, they have historical information going back about 19 months. The Financial times also has a really good portfolio tracking site that will give you information on Thai stocks going back 5 years. Get good free information from thaicapitalist.com but be careful with other websites tipping shares and claiming to know how to play a difficult market. It is good fun and you can most certainly make money.

This is for Thaicatbuyer. I know a young woman broker at Thanachart. I trade the US Market when I am in US or in Thailand. I have funds that at received 32.20 baht for and I would lose $8,000 sending it back to the US, so I may look into the stock market in Thailand.

You should check out the all new Thaistocks.com, going continuously since 1997. The key is to get away from speculating and own a few good companies for the medium term. Brokers here (as around the world) are just not that interested in new wealth creation; as they make a living transacting for commissions.

Hence, it's wise to have input from pro's which have your same interest in mind besides the long(est) experience.

Forget NASDAQ and US shares, its a peaking market there. Vs. here is the right time to consider accumulating great companies at sold off prices, "buy when there is blood on the street". US investors pulled out 79 Bill US$ out the US market in the first 7 months of 2015. More so than any other previous year! Including at the height of t he Financial crisis. The consensus is the US market is in the late bull stage. By contrast, investors continued to pump money into international stock funds to the tune of 179 Bill$ through end of July. According to Reuters, Aug. 15th 2015. Yes, all despite the negative headlines on emerging markets of late being out of vogue -and Greece shaking the EU.

Forget NASDAQ and US shares, its a peaking market there. Vs. here is the right time to consider accumulating great companies at sold off prices, "buy when there is blood on the street". US investors pulled out 79 Bill US$ out the US market in the first 7 months of 2015. More so than any other previous year! Including at the height of t he Financial crisis. The consensus is the US market is in the late bull stage. By contrast, investors continued to pump money into international stock funds to the tune of 179 Bill$ through end of July. According to Reuters, Aug. 15th 2015. Yes, all despite the negative headlines on emerging markets of late being out of vogue -and Greece shaking the EU.

Forget NASDAQ and US shares,

Wow a brave man to make such a statement, I am not American, but at the present time they still have probably the worlds strongest economy

I know little, and have been investing in world markets for only around 50yrs, I have so much to learn

Third world markets can leave any gains exceeded by currency losses

Thailand in particular is a difficult market to predict, I have been in and out a few times and made a lot more than i lost

Thailand currency weak and will probably weaken more

Rest of the world does not like Thailand, UN downgrading because its says too many human rights violations

With the self appointed government,who are doing their best to do a good job, and the King in continued ill health unfortunately, the time to buy may well be on succession in the monarchy and a government appointed by free vote

God Bless the King and may he recover his health

Trade yourself over the internet, many services available, been doing it 3 years, cannot short the market, Bualuang Securities Bangkok Bank, Thanachart, and many more, need good internet connection

It's been possible to short the market for a few years now. These days I rarely trade individual Thai stocks, but mainly TFEX futures and options. I do via KGI.

If someone did want to short the market they can do so via TFEX. In addition to the equity acounts people have you can also apply for a derivatives account on TFEX which usually runs off the same sort of platforms.

To short the market someone can use:

1) SET50 futures - I trade

2) SET50 options - I trade

3) Individual stock futures on the largest individual stocks - don't do these myself

TFEX SET50 futures are reasonably liquid. However on SET50 options and individual stock futures liquidty can disappear at times.

Shorting can be useful on days like today :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

This is for Thaicatbuyer. I know a young woman broker at Thanachart. I trade the US Market when I am in US or in Thailand. I have funds that at received 32.20 baht for and I would lose $8,000 sending it back to the US, so I may look into the stock market in Thailand.

Possible good buying today, if we get a little recovery tomorrow -2.56 %

105 K bought, 140k sold, trading fees 400 baht

My buddy trades Thanachart, he girls into there office in Pattaya and uses their computer terminals to trade

Edited by thaicatbuyer

post-71450-0-98153000-1439895740_thumb.p

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-18 at 5.56.57 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-18 at 5.56.57 PM.pngThis is for Thaicatbuyer. I know a young woman broker at Thanachart. I trade the US Market when I am in US or in Thailand. I have funds that at received 32.20 baht for and I would lose $8,000 sending it back to the US, so I may look into the stock market in Thailand.

My buddy trades Thanachart, he girls into there office in Pattaya and uses their computer terminals to trade

It's been possible to short the market for a few years now. These days I rarely trade individual Thai stocks, but mainly TFEX futures and options. I do via KGI.

If someone did want to short the market they can do so via TFEX. In addition to the equity acounts people have you can also apply for a derivatives account on TFEX which usually runs off the same sort of platforms.

3) Individual stock futures on the largest individual stocks - don't do these myself

TFEX SET50 futures are reasonably liquid. However on SET50 options and individual stock futures liquidty can disappear at times.

Shorting can be useful on days like today smile.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Yeah you can short some stocks and must call it in to the broker, Lame program, you might only want in for an hour or 2, you can play with the "P" derivatives some stocks, crazy up and down stocks can only trade on the up side,have 35 mb down and 3mb up FTTH fiber and days like today orders hang or delayed ,market not enough bandwidth

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-18 at 5.56.57 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-18 at 5.56.57 PM.pngThis is for Thaicatbuyer. I know a young woman broker at Thanachart. I trade the US Market when I am in US or in Thailand. I have funds that at received 32.20 baht for and I would lose $8,000 sending it back to the US, so I may look into the stock market in Thailand.

just curious to know your rationale why you believe there would be a sufficient " little recovery "

to warrant buying considering the China stock market fell again today by 6% and the Indonesian rupiah today has crashed to a 1998 low?

Yeah you can short some stocks and must call it in to the broker, Lame program, you might only want in for an hour or 2, you can play with the "P" derivatives some stocks, crazy up and down stocks can only trade on the up side,have 35 mb down and 3mb up FTTH fiber and days like today orders hang or delayed ,market not enough bandwidth

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

I'm not sure who told you that you can only call in trades to a broker for derivatives/TFEX .

I trade TFEX exactly the same way as I used to do stocks. Online. I can be in for minutes or the whole day - my call - it's all online. Yes sometimes issues with liquidity on individual stock futures which is one reason why I stay away. On futures liquidity is fine most of the time. Options liquidity varies.

Also use them to hedge positions. Just log in and click

Cheers

Fletch :)

Re: 'US investors pulled out 79 Bill US$ out the US market in the first 7 months of 2015. More so than any other previous year! Including at the height of t he Financial crisis.'

If this figure is from measurement of mutual fund flows I would caution against using it as a guide to investor participation in the market as a lot of money is coming out of mutual funds and being re-allocated into passive funds and ETF's. IMO It is a metric that no longer as valid as it once was as there is an ongoing major shift [from actively managed mutual funds to passive vehicles].

Re: 'By contrast, investors continued to pump money into international stock funds to the tune of 179 Bill$ through end of July. According to Reuters, Aug. 15th 2015.'

Financial Times today:

'A surge of capital gushing out of emerging markets has risen toward $1tn over the past 13 months, roughly double the amount that fled during the financial crisis amid slumping confidence in the world’s developing economies.'

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/3/00b81130-45c5-11e5-af2f-4d6e0e5eda22.html

The serious weakening across the board in emerging market currencies supports the above - unless of course they are somehow weakening because so many people are buying the currency (sarcasm). Forget explanations - follow the money and look at what the price is telling you about what investors are doing rather than paying attention to what commentators are saying.

Additionally, 'international stock funds' does not necessarily mean emerging markets - there are large flows to Europe which would be counted as international stock funds.

Re: 'here is the right time to consider accumulating great companies at sold off prices, "buy when there is blood on the street"'

I suggest anyone thinking of following this advice takes a look at the chart for Thailand 1993-4 and 2003-4 to see what happens to Thailand and emerging markets when the Fed starts tightening - emerging markets have been the recipients of Fed largesse. IMO this is completely the wrong time to be investing in the SET - we are at the end of an old cycle not the beginning of a new one and Thai stocks IMO have dramatically further to fall - the blood is not yet on the streets - when it is there will indeed be fabulous opportunities, but now is way too soon IMO. I would also caution that small caps as a class tend to be dormant at best during a bear market until there is a new cycle underway - i.e. tending to behave like the options that they really are. My observation is other than with Warren Buffet time horizons, fund flows are what drives prices more than fundamentals and all the talk of ASEAN opportunities etc IMO is not going to outweigh the Fed/commodities tide going out.

This is just my opinion and I claim no monopoly on being right, however as far as my own personal funds flow go I am doing absolutely nothing in the SET other than having shorts on via futures as the risk:reward is skewed to the downside and virtually every stock is way off its base. When the time is right I will be a buyer but the time is not yet IMO. I am not saying there are no trading opportunities, just that IMO this is not the time to be making large commitments on the long side.

Edited by mokwit

Yes, you can bkkryn but it is paramount to have a Thai bank account in place, so to collect the dividends. Brokers are not banks and can't endorse dividend checks.

Mokwit, respect your views but: its all about buying low and selling high, less buying high and trying to sell higher is that is a traders' & momentum game.

Not the rational value investor for the medium term. Its a market of stocks, more then a stock market. You got to adjust stock valuations with interest rates, which are and remain at record lows! And who is so sure, but the press parlor noise, that US % will rise in the 3Q., ?now with China on the skids sort of pouring cold water on this. The talk has been so long and daily on US rising rates rising, that the news has to be just about discounted, but not so if they back away. Surely big differences between now and the early 1990's. In those days you got 11% on Thai Bank CD's vs. less than 1% now. At present select stock prices you can nail about 4% in dividend yields while you await the rebound. Or 4 times more then money in the bank here. Also dividends only pay 10% tax at the source, vs. 15% on interest income.

Besides, there are some current booming sectors in the Thai economy, example renewable energy...where Thailand is the region's leader. In today BKK Post the govt. re-affirms its commitment to renewables.

Also, Markets are forward looking and if the economy is bottoming around now, still a bit if, the SET market has already touched its low point.

Yes, you can bkkryn but it is paramount to have a Thai bank account in place, so to collect the dividends. Brokers are not banks and can't endorse dividend checks.

Mokwit, respect your views but: its all about buying low and selling high, less buying high and trying to sell higher is that is a traders' & momentum game.

Not the rational value investor for the medium term. Its a market of stocks, more then a stock market. You got to adjust stock valuations with interest rates, which are and remain at record lows! And who is so sure, but the press parlor noise, that US % will rise in the 3Q., ?now with China on the skids sort of pouring cold water on this. The talk has been so long and daily on US rising rates rising, that the news has to be just about discounted, but not so if they back away. Surely big differences between now and the early 1990's. In those days you got 11% on Thai Bank CD's vs. less than 1% now. At present select stock prices you can nail about 4% in dividend yields while you await the rebound. Or 4 times more then money in the bank here. Also dividends only pay 10% tax at the source, vs. 15% on interest income.

Besides, there are some current booming sectors in the Thai economy, example renewable energy...where Thailand is the region's leader. In today BKK Post the govt. re-affirms its commitment to renewables.

Also, Markets are forward looking and if the economy is bottoming around now, still a bit if, the SET market has already touched its low point.

" and if the economy is bottoming around now "blink.png

in the words of Karen Carpenter " we've only just begunermm.gif

23 Nations Around The World Where Stock Market Crashes Are Already Happening

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/23-nations-around-the-world-where-stock-market-crashes-are-already-happening

Time and time again in recent times, expectations of a US rate “liftoff” have been pushed back as some new worry emerges. The latest being the China stock bubble and currency weakness all at once. In the past it was fiscal standoffs in Washington, the Greek debt drama, severe winter weather or the Ebola scare — delayed the day of reckoning. By the time the rate rise happens it will be a near non-event. No wonder US stocks have not suffered a correction of more 10 percent or more since 2012. Markets have been hypnotized by seemingly never-ending promise of cheap money, the ever fear present it is ending...and then once again it goes on. If the US FED now raises rates the US$ could get even stronger which it does not want. The US 10 govt. bond rate/yield is acting as if there is no rate hike in September.

Ultra low interest rates are a prolonged reality in Thailand as well. By next year the Thai govt. will substantially reduce govt. insurance on savings in Thai commercial banks. Here as around the world the income disparity is alive and well, with lots of liquidities prevail a the top echelon. Where are these going to go? Into commodities/oil gold? More shopehouses and condo's? I think the Thai saving/investing population is getting more sophisticated by investing in the SET, not trading it. IF this trends of recent continues and the economy along with low % rates continue, the SET will recover into a good year 2016...so one should start accumulate buy now. The key is know which ones.

Time and time again in recent times, expectations of a US rate “liftoff” have been pushed back as some new worry emerges. The latest being the China stock bubble and currency weakness all at once. In the past it was fiscal standoffs in Washington, the Greek debt drama, severe winter weather or the Ebola scare — delayed the day of reckoning. By the time the rate rise happens it will be a near non-event. No wonder US stocks have not suffered a correction of more 10 percent or more since 2012. Markets have been hypnotized by seemingly never-ending promise of cheap money, the ever fear present it is ending...and then once again it goes on. If the US FED now raises rates the US$ could get even stronger which it does not want. The US 10 govt. bond rate/yield is acting as if there is no rate hike in September.

Ultra low interest rates are a prolonged reality in Thailand as well. By next year the Thai govt. will substantially reduce govt. insurance on savings in Thai commercial banks. Here as around the world the income disparity is alive and well, with lots of liquidities prevail a the top echelon. Where are these going to go? Into commodities/oil gold? More shopehouses and condo's? I think the Thai saving/investing population is getting more sophisticated by investing in the SET, not trading it. IF this trends of recent continues and the economy along with low % rates continue, the SET will recover into a good year 2016...so one should start accumulate buy now. The key is know which ones.

" the SET will recover into a good year 2016 "

based on what economic fundamentals?

p.s. do you have any connection with the McWalen School of investing?giggle.gif (because you certainly sound like him)

Edited by Asiantravel