Pls help clarify my retirement visa extension

I hold a U.S. passport. I have a one–year non-immigrant 0–A multiple–entry visa that I received in Hong Kong. The “enter before” date is Nov. 11, 2015. On my most recent return to Thailand, I was stamped “admitted until” July 2, 2016. I plan to go to Hong Kong Aug.30, 2015 and return Dec. 6, 2015. I’d like to continue to stay long-term in Thailand.

• When I return on Dec. 6, will my “admitted until” date remain July 2, 2016? I want to be sure I won't get 30 days because the visa's "enter before" date will have expired by then.
  • After I return on Dec. 6, I will no longer be entitled to multiple entries and must get re-entry permits, correct? So I will need to get a re-entry before I go to Hong Kong?
  • Can I apply now in Bangkok for a one-year extension of stay, or is it too early? Since I will be in Hong Kong on the visa’s “enter before” date (Nov. 11, 2015), can I have it extended at the Hong Kong consulate?
  • If I wait until closer to my “admitted until” date of July 2, 2016 to apply for extension, would I get an extension for until July 1, 2017?

I appreciate any suggestions.

You have to get a re-entry permit before leaving or when you return you will only get 30 days. The re-entry permit will be valid for entry until July 2nd 2016 and you will be stamped in until that date. You can get a multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht.

You can get a re-entry permit at an immigration office or at both airports in Bangkok 24 hours a day.

You cannot apply for an extension in Hong Kong. The only thing you could do is apply for a new visa.

You can apply for the extension at an immigration office up to 30 days before July 2nd 2016. The extension will be valid until July 2nd 2017.

• Like 1

You need a re entry permit to protect your permission to stay date. I can be obtained from an immigration office or either of the BKK airports.

An extension of stay can be applyed for toward the end of your current permission to stay.

You cannot "extend" the visa

I have been told here that one can only get a Non Immigrant O-A VISA in your own home country.....

So my question is. How can this american man buy a Non Immigrant O-A in Hong Kong like he mentioned in his post above...??

Glegolo

I have been told here that one can only get a Non Immigrant O-A VISA in your own home country.....

So my question is. How can this american man buy a Non Immigrant O-A in Hong Kong like he mentioned in his post above...??

Glegolo

If an American was a resident of HK he could apply for a visa.

Glegolo

If an American was a resident of HK he could apply for a visa.

Ahaa!! thanks for your answer..

Glegolo

You have to get a re-entry permit before leaving or when you return you will only get 30 days. The re-entry permit will be valid for entry until July 2nd 2016 and you will be stamped in until that date. You can get a multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht.

You can get a re-entry permit at an immigration office or at both airports in Bangkok 24 hours a day.

You cannot apply for an extension in Hong Kong. The only thing you could do is apply for a new visa.

You can apply for the extension at an immigration office up to 30 days before July 2nd 2016. The extension will be valid until July 2nd 2017.

Seems it's better to wait till July 2016 and get extension rather than getting new visa in Hong Kong, which is more costly and would be big hassle getting all those documents again.

I just need to transfer 800,000 baht 3 months before July 2 and make sure I am present in Thailand in June in order to apply for the extension, correct?

About getting re-entry permit before I leave this month, seems would be better doing in city rather than at airport since there's no way to know how crowded it may be? I live near Phayathai airport link. Is there anyplace closer than Chaeng Wattana to do this?

Thank you, Ubonjoe and others for your kind advice.

For the first extension of stay the money only has to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply (not July 2nd).

Chaeng Wattana is the only office you can use. The easy way to get there it to take the BTS to Mochit and take a taxi from there.