Powerful bomb thrown into Chao Phraya river beneath Taksin bridge

webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What concerns me about this (obviously failed) attempt is, where was this device meant to go off?

If it was destined for the BTS station then we can take one positive (that for some reason the perpetrator was not able to plant it where he wanted to) and one negative (that there was an intention to cause significant harm to innocent people).

Both bomb incidents are to scare off the tourists to Bangkok and to Thailand. The Sathon Pier (Taksin Bridge) is to connect to all the big hotels (Shangrila, Oriental) where many tourists stay. The failed attempt might be due to the current high alertness in Bangkok so the perpetrator might just be in a hurry to get the job done! So we must wonder who really want to cripple Thai economy, to destabilize the current government? Is it religious or political? I have my assumptions but better wait for more evidence to surface!

The rooster tail that one sent up was like a stick of dynamite. I have been fishing in the US, Louisiana, and they use it to catch fish. It was about the same.

Weird, I know, some Southern Americans are wild and crazy.

It was quite a "rooster tail".

For those not that familiar with Sathon Pier at Saphon Taksin there are usually more tourists congegrated here than there ever are at Erawan. It seems very possible that these incidents are connected and but for the luck of a badly aimed throw which missed either a passing boat [usually crammed tight with tourists] or people waiting to board , there could have been many casualties

and the similarity of the potential fallout makes me feel they are very connected.

Actually it's Taksin and not Thaksin. The bridge was named after the late King Taksin, not after the bogeyman in Dubai.

You really took the fun out of this thread for the Thaksin haters.

Get over it children. Important thread. Bigger picture.

Go ahead. Impress us with your grasp of the big picture.

I have no grasp of the bigger picture. It just seemed a tad pedantic to be going on with a simple phonetic misunderstanding having been corrected and then becoming a political comment.

I don't mean to offend but now may be an ideal opportunity to be compassionate. I also don't want to waste more of this valuable thread so feel free to pm me or better let it go. Again, no disrespect intended.

What concerns me about this (obviously failed) attempt is, where was this device meant to go off?

If it was destined for the BTS station then we can take one positive (that for some reason the perpetrator was not able to plant it where he wanted to) and one negative (that there was an intention to cause significant harm to innocent people).

Or at the pier with the people waiting for the boat?

a crowded boat perhaps, a clear motive is now emerging - to ruin tourism and the Thai economy

be vigilant out there people, I don't think this will be confined to Bangkok

Nowhere near as big as Erawan explosion, a firework would do as much. Doubt these are connected.

Considering it exploded underwater pretty damn big. Lucky it missed the ferry.

Scary times.

Not really. Pound for pound an underwater explosion would be many times more massive than one on land, this might have been a very small grenade but certainly not a pipe bomb, at least IMO.

Doesn't water centralize the blast stopping it from expanding. I do believe water bags are used in bomb disposal in confined spaces.

Actually it's Taksin and not Thaksin. The bridge was named after the late King Taksin, not after the bogeyman in Dubai.

You really took the fun out of this thread for the Thaksin haters.

Get over it children. Important thread. Bigger picture.

Go ahead. Impress us with your grasp of the big picture.

I have no grasp of the bigger picture. It just seemed a tad pedantic to be going on with a simple phonetic misunderstanding having been corrected and then becoming a political comment.

I don't mean to offend but now may be an ideal opportunity to be compassionate. I also don't want to waste more of this valuable thread so feel free to pm me or better let it go. Again, no disrespect intended.

The post I quoted hinted that the name of the bridge might be related to the incident. I merely pointed out the fact that this is unlikely. Doesn't seem very pedantic to me.

Second bomb is similar to Ratchaprasong bomb

18-8-2558-15-45-43-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A second bomb exploded beneath Sathorn bridge sending passengers and visitors running in panic.

But the explosion did not cause any injury to people.

Royal Thai Police spokesman confirmed the second bomb was a pipe bomb similar to the bomb used in Ratchaprasong.

The explosion at about 2.25 pm was near the Sathorn river pier which is the terminal for Chao Phraya river commuter boats and a short distance from the Skytrain station. It’s also a popular stop for Chinese tour groups.

Residents living in highrise buildings near the river bank reported hearing the deafening sound of explosion which they said it also shook their rooms.

It was so loud that it sent pigeons to fly away in panic, one resident said.

Manager of the Sathorn pier said the bomb, which he said might be pipe bomb, was hurled from the overhead Sathorn bridge but hit a railing of the BTS overhead pedestrian overpass and fell into Sathorn canal which connects to the Chao Phraya river.

The explosion was so powerful that it sent the water into the air for over 10 metres high.

A surveillance camera beneath Sathorn bridge also showed pedestrians running in panic as the bomb went off and splashing water into them as they were walking up the overpass.

Explosive ordnance disposal police arrived at the scene and sealed off the bridge looking for more bombs.

Forensic police also arrived to collect evidence.

Surveillance cameras on the bridge might have captured the bomb suspect.

Forensic police said they collected many small pellets which were believed to be part of the bomb.

It was not known if the second explosion was linked to the deadly bomb at Ratchaprasong or not.

Royal Thai Police Pol Or Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said the bomb was a pipe bomb similar to the pipe bomb at Ratchaprasong.

He said the thrower intended to hurl the bomb into the commuter pier but missed the target.

The place is also a place where tourists will come to board boats.

EOD police have discovered a big part of the bomb which indicated the bomb did not function fully.

Soldiers and police have now sealed off the area as they feared the perpetrator might try another attempt.

ภาพCCTVเหตุระเบิดบริเวณท่าเรือสาทรเมื่อช่วง13.00น.เบื้องต้นไม่มีผู้ได้รับบาดเจ็บ เครดิตวิดีโอ:อาสาแจ้งข่าว #ThaiPBS

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/second-bomb-is-similar-to-ratchaprasong-bomb

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-18

It would seem they have so many bombs ,they are just throwing them away.

this is not good for tourism or the Thai people,lets hope they catch the

terrorists soon .

regards Worgeordie

I doubt that it is one terrorist.....it is group. Crazy Somchai isn't building such efficient bombs in his kitchen and the TNT doesn't grow on trees as well.

at saphan thaksin no less.

things that make you go hmmm.

Its Taksin not Thaksin. Different spellings and pronunciations in Thai.

In the context of this forum and the enormity of what's happening that kind of nitpicking over spelling is unnecessary and irrelevant

The bridge has cctv end to end, so in broad daylight the assailant will have been clearly seen on it

if they work....some cctv are dummies and some might be broken. Would surprise me if they are all perfect serviced.

Well the red shirts did say they would plant 100 bombs in Bangkok.

98 to go.

Lets hope peace and stability is restored again and swift arrests are made of those that want to see this govt fail before more innocent life's are lost.

It was only a matter of time before the fanatics came back out.

Except that the claim of 100 bombs was all supposed to have happened with the few days, if not the one day after the court house attack.

at saphan thaksin no less.

things that make you go hmmm.

Its Taksin not Thaksin. Different spellings and pronunciations in Thai.

In the context of this forum and the enormity of what's happening that kind of nitpicking over spelling is unnecessary and irrelevant

No in this case it is important: One Taksin is a former King, the other Thaksin is a former PM and criminal on the run.

So the bridge hasn't the name of the former PM

Nowhere near as big as Erawan explosion, a firework would do as much. Doubt these are connected.

For the love of God, I have tried hard to not respond to the two days of the Thai Visa Psychic Forensic unit GUESSING out their butt hole what is going on , but in this case, I have reached the end of my tether.

How could you possibly write something so profoundly stupid at a time like this when we come here to get NEWS that MATTERS?

how could you possibly reach this conclusion.

Tell me where you are, i will buy you a bottle of whatever you are drinking, if it will shut your pie hole for the afternoon.

My wife drives across that bridge every evening on the way home .. now could you kindly clear the way so the adults can share information and get on with the serious business of protecting our families?

I need to determine if she needs to use the other bridges.

Thank you in advance... for shutting up for a moment while others look for VALUABLE INFORMATION from our Expat peers.

Well the red shirts did say they would plant 100 bombs in Bangkok.

98 to go.

Lets hope peace and stability is restored again and swift arrests are made of those that want to see this govt fail before more innocent life's are lost.

It was only a matter of time before the fanatics came back out.

You are a fanatic in 99% of your posts, is it that you wanted to point out.....?