Bangkok bomb blast: Compensation

webfact

BANGKOK BLAST
Compensation

The Nation

BANGKOK: - Rights and Liberties Protection Department's announcement in four languages - Thai, English, Chinese and Russian - said that the government will provide the victims up to Bt20,000 for medical bills and Bt200 per day for a period of one year in lost earnings.

In addition, Bt30,000 will be provided to cover other damages and losses, together with Bt600 for food and accommodation daily.

Up to Bt50,000 will be provided to families who have lost a member, Bt20,000 to cover funeral rites and Bt30,000 in compensation to those injured.

In addition, the Tourism and Sports Ministry will provide additional help, such as Bt300,000 in case of death, organ damage or disability, and Bt100,000 for medical expenses. Also those affected from delayed trips, cancellations and encountering difficulties following the blast will receive Bt2,000 daily for their expenses, but not exceeding Bt20,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Compensation-30266878.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-18

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at the numbers. Not impressed. Neither are the hospitals.

Make it simple. "The government will pick up your hospital bill." Period. No limits. It's the least they can do. And I do mean the least.

Sad really. 20k THB won't go very far in a hospital for victims with serious injuries.

I suppose it's better than nothing...

Well, the Tourism Ministry has just confirmed the " quality" tourists it is trying to attract. Those who earn $6 usd per day, spend $20 usd on food and accommodation and who value their life at a whopping $8,500.

And they wonder why the world looks at Thailand as some backwater cess pool.

Well, the Tourism Ministry has just confirmed the " quality" tourists it is trying to attract. Those who earn $6 usd per day, spend $20 usd on food and accommodation and who value their life at a whopping $8,500.

Is that how the world views Thailand? I wonder if you're wrong...

International tourism rankings suggest Thailand is still popular: 2014: 14th, 2013: 10th. (Last year, 14th despite a military takeover).

I'm sure that Thailand will weather this storm. They've had a bumpy ride for years.

So the person that got blown in half their family will receive 300,000 baht that'll about cover the trauma of seeing their loved one in two pieces in the middle of the road. They gave more to the reds and they weren't innocent victims.

Incredibly insulting to injured persons. No way these amounts will cover even 20% of damages and out of pocket expenses for anyone....these injuries should be treated free of charge.

Hold on, hold on. Hospitals in Thailand are working businesses. You expect every hospital to take in the injured and dying as a charity. Cannot work that way. On these pages of TV, that I have read for nine years, the usual garbage sprouted is insurance should be held.

Now no where near being an expert, but it strikes me that a bomb attack such as this / these, would fall outside of any insurance policy, unless the coverage was for terrorism or acts of war.

It's the Thai Government who should be picking up these claims, including repatriation of the dead, not private hospitals or airlines.

Will it happen , hopefully but I will not hold my breath.. Am I posturing NO, my Hong Kong business partner has lost a beautiful daughter who I was godfather to.

Incredibly insulting to injured persons. No way these amounts will cover even 20% of damages and out of pocket expenses for anyone....these injuries should be treated free of charge.

Get off the grass. This is a generous gesture and entirely in line with what Thai social welfare and medical benefits are. The Thai government isn't to blame for this event and they are under no obligation to have even done this. Now let's talk about whether there were overseas visitors who were victims who did NOT have travel insurance - in this case that's all they will receive, but that's the choice that some people make when they decide not to take out travel insurance ... And when you boil it down why should it be the responsibility of the Thai taxpayer to stand the cost of a foreigner who decided they didn't need or want to pay the travel insurance premium?

It's not even that much. Total offered is 1 year @ 200 bt/day = 73,000 bt + 20,000 bt = 93,000 baht = $2,623 USD.

Simple operation with 1 day overnight at a hospital Sukhumvit soi 3.

110.000 Baht.

Its a big joke, most foreigners should have insurance for Thai people i feel sorry.

You can't use Bumrungrad Hospital as a benchmark and then pluck an unsubstantiated figure out of thin air like this and not expect to be challenged for presenting a totally distorted example that supports your view without expecting to be called out for what amounts to deliberate deception. 110k baht for one night in a Thai hospital is no more representative of the true position as is the cost of a McLaren F1 a good guide to the cost of a typical car.

Get off the grass. This is a generous gesture and entirely in line with what Thai social welfare and medical benefits are. The Thai government isn't to blame for this event and they are under no obligation to have even done this. Now let's talk about whether there were overseas visitors who were victims who did NOT have travel insurance - in this case that's all they will receive, but that's the choice that some people make when they decide not to take out travel insurance ... And when you boil it down why should it be the responsibility of the Thai taxpayer to stand the cost of a foreigner who decided they didn't need or want to pay the travel insurance premium?
Nonsense. It is an accepted convention in these tragedies that , at the very least, costs will be covered. In this case we see a tacky schedule of payments, totally inadequate, I'll-timed and ill-considered. Intentions are good but ...it would have been better to simply say we will look after everything and families shouldn't worry.

Nonsense. It is an accepted convention in these tragedies that , at the very least, costs will be covered. In this case we see a tacky schedule of payments, totally inadequate, I'll-timed and ill-considered. Intentions are good but ...it would have been better to simply say we will look after everything and families shouldn't worry.

Accepted convention? Don't talk utter rubbish. It might be what you would like to see happen but don't go confusing that with reality and then attempting to put a veneer of plausibility over it by clutching at a phrase like 'accepted convention'.

You might as well have made the argument that it's enshrined in law - well, maybe not the actual words but the general vibe of the thing.

Make it simple. "The government will pick up your hospital bill." Period. No limits. It's the least they can do. And I do mean the least.

???

Why is the government liable?

Why are they doing this? Shit happens.

If the government is offering compensation, it means they feel somehow responsible.

How exactly?

110.000 Baht.

Its a big joke, most foreigners should have insurance for Thai people i feel sorry.

You can't use Bumrungrad Hospital as a benchmark and then pluck an unsubstantiated figure out of thin air like this and not expect to be challenged for presenting a totally distorted example that supports your view without expecting to be called out for what amounts to deliberate deception. 110k baht for one night in a Thai hospital is no more representative of the true position as is the cost of a McLaren F1 a good guide to the cost of a typical car.

3 years ago i had small operation. cost 1500thb something. including doctor fees, medication, lab analysis (that was done in bkk) AND aftercare (2 more short visits at doc, also removing stitches). i didn't stay overnight though. that was at provincial hospital where a thai would have paid 30thb. excellent doc. excellent service!

... thai visa farang no understand...

???

If the government is offering compensation, it means they feel somehow responsible.

How exactly?

Why aren't they covered under the 30 baht scheme. Edited by Thai at Heart

110.000 Baht.

110000 is surgeon fee in a private hospital .

My surgery with overnight stay was 350 000.

Thai people get free or 30 baht care.

Tourists with insurance will not be covered , as all policies have terrorism exclusion clause , unless for good PR, they decide to cover costs .

All people are being treated in government hospitals I believe .

???

How exactly?

It's called victims compensation, plus showing that this government really does care about people, ie good PR, ie more votes.