Opening of Pubs and Restaurants in "Residential Areas".

We live in a house in a small soi off Thong Lor, and to get to it you have to drive through a soi with townhouses. I don't know how many there are, but the soi is probably 300 metres long.

When we moved in all the townhouses were used for residential purposes. One of them was rebuilt into a small pub and very soon after virtually all the townhouses were changed into restaurants, hair salons, cycle shops and other types of business.

Now the first house in our row (just 4 houses from ours) is being renovated and will open as a pub/restaurant.

The problem is that there are no parking places for these establishments so people park around our house and we have had problems getting in. The other problem I anticipate is noise. So far we haven't been bothered but the new house seems to have an outdoor eating area.

Also how long before the next house is changed into a restaurant or whatever?

Aren't there any laws governing these type of buildings?

I mean townhouse.

Not sure what you mean by a tessabarn, but the area used to be a "moobarn" many years ago. It seems all the administration and control has disappeared and in fact the road has been opened up as a through road now.

I mean townhouse.

Not sure what you mean by a tessabarn, but the area used to be a "moobarn" many years ago. It seems all the administration and control has disappeared and in fact the road has been opened up as a through road now.

From my observations as a relative newcomer, there is no such thing as zoning, and no such thing as a "Dog Act/By-laws".

I've also experienced moving into a quiet suburban area (if there is such a thing here) and soon discovered a karaoke joint in front of the house, 3 totally untrained dogs next to me (Thai owner) 3 noisy pooches behind me and next to my bedroom (farang).

The soi dogs were quite friendly and protective.

I took the easy way out and abandoned my contract 2 months early.

If you're not new to the Thonglor area, you've no doubt noticed that everywhere which way, there are pubs and restaurants opening - or replacing ones that have closed - never mind the (at least) three malls going up, with one already open. All of this on an ever busy thoroughfare between Sukhumvit and Petchburi, and one that boasts few (useless) zebra crossings, and not one pedestrian footbridge.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Open a pub. Or move.

and only blast 60's & 70's music at about 800db but seriously, if you rent, check your lease and move. You won't win with complaining - the people in Thong Lor are well off, and will know the Tessabaum honcho........you won't win. you can try, but your nerves will be shot and life will suffer..........find another place.

So many wusses! Why should you move if your quiet is disturbed? Complain. Smile. But complain. Listening to some of the people on here, sounds like nobody has a backbone. Thirty years in thailand has taught me to stand up for myself....do it largely in the Thai way with a bit of grumpy farang thrown in for good measure. Doubtless people will say I am living in cloud cuckoo land. If I was I would complain and get the cuckoo to keep the noise down.

Where else in the world do people move to a city of 6 million people expecting peace and quiet?

Geniuses!

Actually there are plenty of places in Bangkok that are peaceful and quiet. I live in a gated community in Central Bangkok that is as quiet as can be. I also know quite a few people that live in quiet neighborhoods, most in the central part of the city.

Btw, I lived in the same place for over 10 years and it hasn't got any noisier during the time I've lived here.

Is your Soi Thararom 2 Alley? If you want to sell PM me.

But yea there is no zoning law in that sense. Townhouse in dense areas always have a lot of cars parked outside due to the shortage of parking space in the townhouse itself, and if its business popping up here and there it gets worse. I feel your pain just driving through areas like that, when what essentially was a two lane road becomes one lane at night when business comes alive, especially the thong lor area.

So many wusses! Why should you move if your quiet is disturbed? Complain. Smile. But complain. Listening to some of the people on here, sounds like nobody has a backbone. Thirty years in thailand has taught me to stand up for myself....do it largely in the Thai way with a bit of grumpy farang thrown in for good measure. Doubtless people will say I am living in cloud cuckoo land. If I was I would complain and get the cuckoo to keep the noise down.

I agree, stand your ground and complain to the management or owners. Most of these townhouse establishments, the owners are there most of the time. These small business owners are usually pretty friendly unless you meet a dick police or army dude who owns the place. Place signs in front of your house saying cars will be locked / towed away. Do it the Thai way, bring in some metal poles pilled with concrete to mark your space even though the public road is not yours.

Talk to other neighbors and get them to complain together.