Thai editorial: Give the bombers the last thing they expect

webfact

EDITORIAL
Give the bombers the last thing they expect

The Nation

Thais need to be standing together in unity - and getting on with their lives

BANGKOK: -- Grief over Monday evening's horrendous bomb attack at the Erawan Shrine in the capital's Ratchaprasong shopping district is still reverberating through the country and the shock is felt around the world. The blast tore through an area of high-end malls and luxury hotels, taking the lives of at least 20 people and leaving more than 100 injured. Many of the victims were foreign tourists.

This cowardly attack targeting innocent people demands universal condemnation. Amid much speculation that the bombing had its genesis in Thailand's ongoing political rift, figures on both sides of the divide have spoken out to denounce the act. Among them are former prime ministers Abhisit Vejjajiva, Yingluck Shinawatra and Thaksin Shinawatra, who tweeted that he "condemned with the strongest words" the persons behind the attack.

The deadliest peacetime bombing in Bangkok's history will inevitably take a toll on Thailand's tourism and economy. But, if it is found to be linked to politics, growing hopes of reconciliation and a resolution to the crisis will be dashed.

While it is still too early to conclude that the attack was politically motivated, enough observers, including government figures, are pointing in that direction. The identity of the perpetrators is still not known, and the authorities have not ruled out international terrorists. But it is not out of line to surmise that the cowards behind this inhumane act were driven by anger and possibly a desire for revenge.

The place and time chosen for the attack, as well as the power of the improvised explosive device used - experts estimate that the bomb contained around three kilograms of TNT - strongly suggest it was designed to take lives, strike fear and shatter Thailand's image as a peaceful country safe for tourists.

News of the blast dominated the front pages of international news outlets like the BBC, CNN and Al Jazeera, with Australian media reporting that the attack appeared to target foreigners. Embassies of the United States and Great Britain immediately issued travel warnings for Bangkok.

This is not the first time bombers have targeted this area of the city. It's been a hub of political conflict over the past decade. It was the site of a political rally by the red-shirt movement in 2010, then a protest by the yellow-shirt People's Democratic Reform Committee in 2013. On New Year's Eve 2006, just three months after a military coup, home-made bombs exploded there and left three people dead. On February 1 this year two bombs exploded outside the Siam Paragon mall, leaving two people injured.

The fact that a powerful explosive device could be planted at a major Bangkok landmark points to serious flaws in security. The authorities must be held to account for any lapses that have occurred and must repair the gaps quickly to protect innocent lives.

The authorities now seem to be on their guard again, with increased checkpoints and patrols.

They must work to the best of their ability to find the culprits behind this brutal attack and bring them to justice.

Meanwhile, citizens must stand together, get on with our lives as usual and demonstrate that we will not be intimidated by this wicked attempt to harm Thailand. The perpetrators have knocked us off our feet. We must now get up and move forward in unity - the last thing that they would want to see.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Give-the-bombers-the-last-thing-they-expect-30266908.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-19

Thailand is facing one of the realities of the modern world, terrorism that can take the lives of tens and hundreds of persons, the act hit the guts of this Kingdom because it happened not in some far away province but in the very center of the capitol... (not implying a southern origin) .. Thais have been cocooned from such acts for a very long time. Politics, self interest movements brought this country to this point. Europe has been accustomed to such event, Brigate Rosse, Rotten armee.gladio,etc. to mention all the terrorist organization that hit Europe in 200 hundreds years would just be a too long task.
The point being is ,not to find right or wrong in these acts or the ideologies driving and putting them in act, Protection of the citizens is a priority. Europe did sacrifice some rights and liberties in order to win the war on terrorism.Will the Thais have the sense of discipline that self sacrifice to accept the toll needed to defend the society from such acts? Europe taught us that it can be done.... To win a war on terrorism , will take time, and a unity of the citizens is the first requisite, The second will be a organized and professional police force. Can these two points be achieved? Yes they can be.
So sad that the Land of Smiles has to face such a reality... With honesty we should admit that we knew this day was coming.

Poorly written article with little intellectual analysis. The gist of these Thai writers is everyone is out to harm Thailand. They won;t solve the crime and figure out the true motives if they don't approach this more objectively.

Thailand is facing one of the realities of the modern world, terrorism that can take the lives of tens and hundreds of persons, the act hit the guts of this Kingdom because it happened not in some far away province but in the very center of the capitol... (not implying a southern origin) .. Thais have been cocooned from such acts for a very long time. Politics, self interest movements brought this country to this point. Europe has been accustomed to such event, Brigate Rosse, Rotten armee.gladio,etc. to mention all the terrorist organization that hit Europe in 200 hundreds years would just be a too long task.

The point being is ,not to find right or wrong in these acts or the ideologies driving and putting them in act, Protection of the citizens is a priority. Europe did sacrifice some rights and liberties in order to win the war on terrorism.Will the Thais have the sense of discipline that self sacrifice to accept the toll needed to defend the society from such acts? Europe taught us that it can be done.... To win a war on terrorism , will take time, and a unity of the citizens is the first requisite, The second will be a organized and professional police force. Can these two points be achieved? Yes they can be.

So sad that the Land of Smiles has to face such a reality... With honesty we should admit that we knew this day was coming.

I like the sentiment behind your statement, but I am not quite sure that I understand what you mean when you say Europe has won the war on terrorism?

Nobody has won the war on terrorism.

I don't think anyone can "blame" Thailand for what has happened - the sad fact is that there are just evil people in the world who want to destroy things and people around them.

No country is exempt from the possibility of a terrorist attack. Especially today - and terrorism comes in all forms.

Personally - I don't think anyone can completely defend a country from terrorist attacks - they have always happened and they always will.

The problem lies within the hearts of men - not with how great a police force is.

Sure - a good police force can minimise risk to a degree - but most - if not all - terrorist attacks happen with the element of surprise in a place and time that is always nearly impossible to predict.

At the moment, we don't know who is truly behind this attack - although we could all have a jolly good guess - but we might be completely wrong.

It could be politically motivated - or it could just be some complete nutjob.

I'm not so sure that right now is the time to be analysing the whys and wherefores when we don't really have anything to go on except some dude in a yellow shirt - the colour of which is probably just coincidental.

"The fact that a powerful explosive device could be planted at a major Bangkok landmark points to serious flaws in security."

Another very poor - yet typical - piece of Thai journalism by someone who has a very narrow field of view but are blissful in their own ignorance. Perhaps they could have told us just how to prevent an attack like this : search every single tourist with a bag ?. And does he/she think those terrorists will queue up at a checkpoint to let them find his bomb ?.

The West realised a long time ago is that the only way is to get the terrorists 'at home' while they prepare using intelligence (the information kind, not the type the author lacks). Expect to see more raids by the Army (like the ones they already did and caught red-shirts with weapons).

And someone should let them know that Mr Thaksin has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes. EVERYBODY knows this. The only difference is that some people don't care and some do. It marks the difference in ethics which separates Thai society.

The point is that if this attack was political, we know exactly who did it. Let's hope it was something else because if it was, it signals a new level of desperation in their leader. Time is running out and if the reforms are passed into law and new elections are held, he isn't EVER going to get back home.

I like the sentiment behind your statement, but I am not quite sure that I understand what you mean when you say Europe has won the war on terrorism?

I don't think anyone can "blame" Thailand for what has happened - the sad fact is that there are just evil people in the world who want to destroy things and people around them.

No country is exempt from the possibility of a terrorist attack. Especially today - and terrorism comes in all forms.

Personally - I don't think anyone can completely defend a country from terrorist attacks - they have always happened and they always will.

The problem lies within the hearts of men - not with how great a police force is.

Sure - a good police force can minimise risk to a degree - but most - if not all - terrorist attacks happen with the element of surprise in a place and time that is always nearly impossible to predict.

At the moment, we don't know who is truly behind this attack - although we could all have a jolly good guess - but we might be completely wrong.

I'm not so sure that right now is the time to be analysing the whys and wherefores when we don't really have anything to go on except some dude in a yellow shirt - the colour of which is probably just coincidental.

You are right , "Nobody has won the war on terrorism" , and i would add terrorism will never be defeated or eradicated as long there a single person ready to embrace it.

The terrorism in the previous sentence is meant as a continuous homogeneous and multi ideological/religious entity.

Terrorist organizations have been defeated , or have been brought to terms in their singularity, by talks and compromises. Red Brigades in Italy, IRA in the UK, Basc ,ETA, Corsican etc ...some of these agreements are as stable as Richter scale on an active volcano, Some are working. Took lot time, sacrifices....and lives.

"I don't think anyone can "blame" Thailand for what has happened - the sad fact is that there are just evil people in the world who want to destroy things and people around them." Agree to this point too....But, (allow me the But) it was and is a little Naif for the Police not to expect such a scenario. Prevention is the key. What if there were more police patrol in such a central area, The Police Hospital is just opposite. There is a traffic police boot on the intersection. Evil people will do their job, BUT i expect the Police to do theirs too.

"No country is exempt from the possibility of a terrorist attack. Especially today - and terrorism comes in all forms.

Personally - I don't think anyone can completely defend a country from terrorist attacks - they have always happened and they always will." i concur with You, never implied otherwise.

I wrote "The point being is ,not to find right or wrong in these acts or the ideologies driving and putting them in act," So we do agree on another point:

You wrote; "The problem lies within the hearts of men" i wrote : ".Will the Thais have the sense of discipline that self sacrifice to accept the toll needed to defend the society from such acts?"

I think i understand Your points, respect them... An active law enforcement can minimize losses from terrorist acts; even if it's one less victim i would welcome such organization.

Maybe i can add , wake up Land of Smiles! Time we all do our jobs. Foreigners too...

And someone should let them know that Mr Thaksin has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes.

I'm not taking sides, but the following could also be true:

And someone should let them know that General Prayuth has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes.

"Nobody has won the war on terrorism."

and nobody ever will.

You can not win a war on a type of behavior.

​Terrorism is a behavior.

You can only win a war against individuals or groups of individuals.

How long has the 'War on Drugs" in the US been going on now..and who is winning?

You are right , "Nobody has won the war on terrorism" , and i would add terrorism will never be defeated or eradicated as long there a single person ready to embrace it.

The terrorism in the previous sentence is meant as a continuous homogeneous and multi ideological/religious entity.

Terrorist organizations have been defeated , or have been brought to terms in their singularity, by talks and compromises. Red Brigades in Italy, IRA in the UK, Basc ,ETA, Corsican etc ...some of these agreements are as stable as Richter scale on an active volcano, Some are working. Took lot time, sacrifices....and lives.

"I don't think anyone can "blame" Thailand for what has happened - the sad fact is that there are just evil people in the world who want to destroy things and people around them." Agree to this point too....But, (allow me the But) it was and is a little Naif for the Police not to expect such a scenario. Prevention is the key. What if there were more police patrol in such a central area, The Police Hospital is just opposite. There is a traffic police boot on the intersection. Evil people will do their job, BUT i expect the Police to do theirs too.

"No country is exempt from the possibility of a terrorist attack. Especially today - and terrorism comes in all forms.

Personally - I don't think anyone can completely defend a country from terrorist attacks - they have always happened and they always will." i concur with You, never implied otherwise.

I wrote "The point being is ,not to find right or wrong in these acts or the ideologies driving and putting them in act," So we do agree on another point:

You wrote; "The problem lies within the hearts of men" i wrote : ".Will the Thais have the sense of discipline that self sacrifice to accept the toll needed to defend the society from such acts?"

I think i understand Your points, respect them... An active law enforcement can minimize losses from terrorist acts; even if it's one less victim i would welcome such organization.

Maybe i can add , wake up Land of Smiles! Time we all do our jobs. Foreigners too...

and nobody ever will.

How long has the 'War on Drugs" in the US been going on now..and who is winning?

Well said Willy. Same w/ the US "War on Terror".

It's a lose-lose situation.

Innocent people (who make up the vast majority) suffer in the long run due to a few sicko-psychos.

I have no idea if this was Islamist related or not, but burying any and all Islamist terrorists in pig skins would bring that to a screeching halt.

See

General Pershing - The Solution Of Islamic Terrorism

===============

If it was internal Thai politics behind this, then getting rid of vote-buying elections and cleaning up the endemic corruption at all levels is the answer, and will probably require a PM other than the one in charge now.

They need a strong-arm like that Singapore guy Lee Kuan Yew.

"The fact that a powerful explosive device could be planted at a major Bangkok landmark points to serious flaws in security."

Another very poor - yet typical - piece of Thai journalism by someone who has a very narrow field of view but are blissful in their own ignorance. Perhaps they could have told us just how to prevent an attack like this : search every single tourist with a bag ?. And does he/she think those terrorists will queue up at a checkpoint to let them find his bomb ?.

The West realised a long time ago is that the only way is to get the terrorists 'at home' while they prepare using intelligence (the information kind, not the type the author lacks). Expect to see more raids by the Army (like the ones they already did and caught red-shirts with weapons).

And someone should let them know that Mr Thaksin has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes. EVERYBODY knows this. The only difference is that some people don't care and some do. It marks the difference in ethics which separates Thai society.

The point is that if this attack was political, we know exactly who did it. Let's hope it was something else because if it was, it signals a new level of desperation in their leader. Time is running out and if the reforms are passed into law and new elections are held, he isn't EVER going to get back home.

In total agreement with the Team Thaksin double standards. However.

One could say that Team Thaksin has motive especially with dear leader Thaksin being belittled in public almost weekly with honours being stripped away. However any nut case individual or small group be they of UDD, Red or a Thaksin groupie carrying out such action does not automatically follow that the Reds or Thaksin is party to such action.

Should be left to the Royal Thai Police hopefully being able to arrest the individuals and then find their reasoning.

I smiled when I read about the following non violent way to defeat Islamic terrorist.

Have Americans save all of their bacon grease in 55 gallon drums.

These drums are then dropped from planes and detonated sever hundred feet above the ground in areas known to be occupied by Islamic terrorists.

Once the area is covered in bacon grease...they must go!

Stop spilling blood..start spilling fat!cheesy.gif

post-147745-0-73708100-1439951789_thumb.

I feel that the topic has a little bit diverted from its starting point....and a big can of worms is opened
Maybe fast reading or maybe my little command of English...

I DO NOT condone terrorism.
Terrorism cannot be defeated.
Terrorist Organizations can be neutralized.

My Main point is Terrorist Organizations and their actions can be neutralized. Terrorism by its nature will never end. Terrorism as a political expression can be brought to terms.Thus ending the violent acts perpetuated in the name of that political view. Brought to terms either through agreements or use of force...(Thus "Terrorist State")
Historically IRA came to an agreement. ETA, BR s.... Even the "Patriots" in the American Revolution were considered terrorists, in the same way French manning the barricades in Paris were named terrorists.

Terrorism is a behavior? That is putting them at same level of hooligans , people that embrace violence as a way of life,,,, mere criminals...throw them in jail....not a political issue.
Terrorists that choose violence because there is no other mean to express their need.... hmmm .... falun gong are terrorist for the Chinese Government. First Christians were terrorists under Rome..

One of the causes of Terrorist movement is the obtuse way of dealing with real problems and issues that part of the society might have.

Check this link if time is not an issue : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_terrorism

Next can of worms : National Terrorism/ International terrorism .

Respect and Regards

When I read the headline of the editorial -- Give the bombers the last thing they expect...

I mulled over what the answer in the ensuing article might be, and made my own guess...

A competent, professional Thai police force coming after them.

And I thought Ocha is stepping down and allowing free elections.

When I read the headline of the editorial -- Give the bombers the last thing they expect...

I mulled over what the answer in the ensuing article might be, and made my own guess...

A bit like the mouse crawling up the elephant's back leg with intent to rape........Height of impossibility and certainly the last thing anyone expects.

And I thought Ocha is stepping down and allowing free elections.

There have never been free elections.

Thai politicians have bought votes outright forever.

Thailand is obviously not ready for democracy, or they would not have had a coup every few years for the past few decades.

--------------

I don't have any political leaning at all......red, yellow or whatever, but they need a strong leader that takes no BS.

Stuck with the current guy, who I am not impressed with at all.

The country is run by thugs at every level though.

They need a tough, honest, benevolent "Godfather" to come in & stay there for a long, long time.

Wishful thinking I know, but just as wishful as "Free & Fair Elections".......Or an honest & competent police force.

And someone should let them know that Mr Thaksin has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes.

And someone should let them know that General Prayuth has NO problems at all saying one thing to his gullible audience whilst doing the opposite behind the scenes.

Nearly every politician does. With t. we have proof enough. But about Prayuth at least we have no proof of this

Innocent people (who make up the vast majority) suffer in the long run due to a few sicko-psychos.

I have no idea if this was Islamist related or not, but burying any and all Islamist terrorists in pig skins would bring that to a screeching halt.

See

===============

If it was internal Thai politics behind this, then getting rid of vote-buying elections and cleaning up the endemic corruption at all levels is the answer, and will probably require a PM other than the one in charge now.

That's exactly what the Thais have at present.

Wait and see how the investigation goes.

Any Thai journalist who believes that Thailand is a safe destination for tourists is clearly unfit for purpose. The Kingdom is ranked among the top ten in the world for terrorism and is the second most dangerous destination for British citizens after Spain, which has 17 times the level of visitation

It might prove prudent to provide the security guards on the BTS and MRT systems with some in-depth training, together with ensuring they now properly check belongings; preferably in a location that allows more room for more checks rather than at the entrance to escalators, which will simply generate long queues.

and nobody ever will.

Mexico, Columbia and other South American countries oops Afghanistan(opium poppies largest cash crop)

and nobody ever will.

See

===============

I agree he was a great leader. Its hard to find a man of his caliber today that stays the course and refuses to dip his hands into the treasury. He was not perfect but a national treasure non the less. He took a country with no manufacturing base and made it great. Great leaders have appeared only a couple times in my long life time. Sadly the other so called "Great Leaders" only took and give little in return. Example being the mess the world is in today.

Sorry Not to believe you Simon, but if you were NOT taking sides, you would not have posted this.... we are not all gullible to you either..! blink.png

How long before it's like the Philippines - security guards with rusty shotguns everywhere? They're probably better than the BIB though.

I dont really care what sort of armament they have(rusty shotguns?) if they are doing a job conscientiously and with proper vigilance. Unfortunately the police here need a tremendous amount of training and I would suggest from o/seas police forces and yes even as near as Singapore or the Philipines or maybe Europe.There must be no complacency as we all are in the same boat and must accept to be treated as wrong-doers as long as all of us ---poor or rich,young or old,famous or totally unknown----get the same treatment if we try to evade the law however small the crime maybe.A fair penalty to suit the crime is essential.If WE as law abiding citizens see these sort of things happening and changing for the better,then and only then will the average Thai and Farang start to have any sort of respect for Thailand and its justice system.I personally do not know how I can help this along.I think,nothing,.I only wish there was-------Dougal

and nobody ever will.

Mexico, Columbia and other South American countries oops Afghanistan(opium poppies largest cash crop)

You did not mention "The Golden Triangle"

Areas of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar well known for opium production.

This is a Thai forum..

Give credit where it is due!

Poorly written article with little intellectual analysis. The gist of these Thai writers is everyone is out to harm Thailand. They won;t solve the crime and figure out the true motives if they don't approach this more objectively.

Well, perhaps you might like to do better?

I found the article to be somewhat comforting and positive. None of the remarks have been except for the idea of bombing the islamic terrorists with bacon grease. That was funny and provided a bit of lightness to the subject.