Leather watch bands going mouldy

Kenny202

Been keeping some of my watches in the safe. Noticed yesterday 2 of them with leather bands have like a dry greenish powder over them, I assume mould.

It seems to come off easilly but can't be good. Any suggestions on how to clean them and put some thing on them (olive oil?) to condition them or prevent further damage. I am up country and wont have easy access to leather conditioner etc

It's the humidity, the mouldue organisms are flourishing under such conations, clean it with a gentle multi

purpose cleaner the blue and white jar you buy in any supermarket, and when done, rub the band

with any fine oil of lemon eucalyptus or similar and repeat the process every few months....

just put a small plastic silicon gel pack in the safe ..... it will stop any moisture in future ...

See post #2

oh right, sorry for that ..didn't see you there giddyup..

also, kenny02 ... just give the us the safe numbers, address etc .. and we'll check it later to make sure all is ok .... whistling.gif

Edited by steven100

Wash the bands with a mild solution of white vinegar and water ...

Oil with olive oil but dont saturate ...

P.S. I am a saddler so know what l am talking about

White vinegar is oxalic acid

Edited by macca3248

Your sweat is full of nitrogen and oils so if you've been wearing them you've basically got a petri dish. It can happen anywhere with the right conditions. I live 600 feet up a hill in the UK - i.e. in a cloud - and leather goes green. Bleach kills everything, but it'll obviously damage the leather. The humidity needs to come right down, therefore (see above) tiny sealed bag full of silica, I would think. Or expanding metal bracelets.

A dry cabinet should help - available from large camera shops. I gave up wearing leather straps when I noticed a foul smell of rotting leather on my wrist in the humid Hong Kong climate before I moved to Thailand. Sweat + humidity = rot. Plastic and metal work better in the humidity. But Mrs Arkady says she has no problem with leather straps. Perhaps that's because she glows, rather than perspires.

washed in vinegar and water

I have olive oil, lemon oil and clear shoe polish. What's my best option

Some good interesting replies here, re olive oil and home - made saddle soap. I will give these a try. 12 years here and pretty much all my leather (m/c jackets, watch straps etc) have turned to shit after trying to keep on top of it with basic Kiwi type shoe polishes etc. Watch straps are now silicone rubber...

Hi Macca, What do you advise for an old leather chair that's gone smelly. I've tried the leather cleaner and leather conditioner that's sold in the automotive products store, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Hi Macca, What do you advise for an old leather chair that's gone smelly. I've tried the leather cleaner and leather conditioner that's sold in the automotive products store, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Hmmm...white vinegar is acetic acid not oxalic acid (which is moderately toxic and could damage leather as it is a mild bleach!)

Edited by partington

• 2 weeks later...

After thirty years of having my time ordered by clocks and watches, I haven't worn one in the years I've been here. Position of the sun is close enough, and more accurate than Thai time.

.... and this relates to stopping leather watch bands going mouldy how?