What would be the burden on my wife if I died here?!?

craigp

If you trust your wife enough then go to your bank with her ( and passport and her ID card) and change your bank accounts to be in joint names. I suspect that if they are in your name only the bank would refuse your wife access to the money without some sort of court order which might be delayed if you have not made a will.

It is possible the bank will will insist on opening a new account in joint names rather than change your account.but it won't hurt to ask.

It would be better for you to make two wills. One for the disposal of your goods here, and the the other one for the disposal of your goods in your home country.

I have written a folder out for my wife with all details in it.

eg

Full name, place/date of birth, parents names place of birth, my National insurance number (I'm English), previous addresses in England. family and friends contact names,addresses, email and phone numbers, pension company adress, UK bank account details, British Embassy details etc. Your widow (!) will need to take your arrival card and copy of passport to immigration. The hospital might not release your body without a letter from your embassy and the temple might not cremate you without such letter. She will need multiple copies of your death certificate. And official translations for your home country's officials. Where can she get the certificate translated locally? Find out and put it in the folder. There are so many details, I am constantly updating the folder for her. I went through the folder with her, she didn't like to think about it, but knew it was necessary. Is she entitled to a widow's pension from your company? Find out and draft a letter to them that she only has to date and sign. Which account will the widow's pension be paid into? And do revise your will every few years, things change.

Let's hope it won't be needed for decades yet. But it might be.

One Caveate - its a good idea to name an Executor of your will so there are no chances of shenanigans by any family members - good advice on the two wills, but if you don;t have a joint account, then you wll need to name a beneficiary in the bank - wills mean very little to a Bank, they want to see the beneficiary form signed by you and witnessed by bank officials. I did all of this through LegalZoom.com and had it translated........very professional package.

I tried to attach a beneficiary form at BBK bank at Kad Suan Kaew and they wanted nothing to do with it. You say witnessed by bank officials? strange.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget about contacting your Embassy they will tell you its none of their business as your living in Thailand. I find our consulate good here but then they are voluntary. The front line at Embassies are helpful but in the back room well they are there because they are the flavor of the day with whatever political party is running your country. Political h*cks taking a handout.

If you trust your wife enough then go to your bank with her ( and passport and her ID card) and change your bank accounts to be in joint names. I suspect that if they are in your name only the bank would refuse your wife access to the money without some sort of court order which might be delayed if you have not made a will.

It is possible the bank will will insist on opening a new account in joint names rather than change your account.but it won't hurt to ask.

It would be better for you to make two wills. One for the disposal of your goods here, and the the other one for the disposal of your goods in your home country.

eg

Full name, place/date of birth, parents names place of birth, my National insurance number (I'm English), previous addresses in England. family and friends contact names,addresses, email and phone numbers, pension company adress, UK bank account details, British Embassy details etc. Your widow (!) will need to take your arrival card and copy of passport to immigration. The hospital might not release your body without a letter from your embassy and the temple might not cremate you without such letter. She will need multiple copies of your death certificate. And official translations for your home country's officials. Where can she get the certificate translated locally? Find out and put it in the folder. There are so many details, I am constantly updating the folder for her. I went through the folder with her, she didn't like to think about it, but knew it was necessary. Is she entitled to a widow's pension from your company? Find out and draft a letter to them that she only has to date and sign. Which account will the widow's pension be paid into? And do revise your will every few years, things change.

One Caveate - its a good idea to name an Executor of your will so there are no chances of shenanigans by any family members - good advice on the two wills, but if you don;t have a joint account, then you wll need to name a beneficiary in the bank - wills mean very little to a Bank, they want to see the beneficiary form signed by you and witnessed by bank officials. I did all of this through LegalZoom.com and had it translated........very professional package.

I tried to attach a beneficiary form at BBK bank at Kad Suan Kaew and they wanted nothing to do with it. You say witnessed by bank officials? strange.

Well,maybe at that time, my diplomatic passport had somtehing to do with it, but two clerks witnessed/signed my Beneficiary appointment........and my favorite ex-wife would have had access to my account had I died before we divorced..........of course, I cancelled the form but thats what happened.

What worries me more is if my wife dies first. Statistically it is unlikely as she will be 50 in a couple of months and I am 71 But it has happened to one guy I know on TVF.

The house and land etc are no problem as they will be divided between the survivors which is me and my son and I am his legal guardian anyway so that is no problem. Money would be no problem but I am not sure if I can cope without her being around.

We have good friends and neighbours who will help out but I think it would be her absence and just not being there which would hurt the most along with the fact and the thought that I would never see her or hear her again. I am not sure how our 12 year old son would feel or react either. At least we would have each other as he will have his Mum and she will have him when I go.

Humm.. Losing a wife in Thailand is better than losing her in your home country. Lose her at home and you be alone til you die because what woman would want let alone want to marry a 71 year old man. If you lose her in Thailand you have the choice to stay alone with her bones or marrying another Ms. And make her your Mrs. Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

What worries me more is if my wife dies first. Statistically it is unlikely as she will be 50 in a couple of months and I am 71 But it has happened to one guy I know on TVF.

The house and land etc are no problem as they will be divided between the survivors which is me and my son and I am his legal guardian anyway so that is no problem. Money would be no problem but I am not sure if I can cope without her being around.

We have good friends and neighbours who will help out but I think it would be her absence and just not being there which would hurt the most along with the fact and the thought that I would never see her or hear her again. I am not sure how our 12 year old son would feel or react either. At least we would have each other as he will have his Mum and she will have him when I go.

Humm.. Losing a wife in Thailand is better than losing her in your home country. Lose her at home and you be alone til you die because what woman would want let alone want to marry a 71 year old man. If you lose her in Thailand you have the choice to stay alone with her bones or marrying another Ms. And make her your Mrs.

Now why would I want to remarry again?

It may seem a little strange to you but I have been in love with my Thai wife since about 2 weeks after I met her back in 1993. To me she is like my son,

Irreplaceable.

YOU may want to to but it is not for me?

Well, the thread of this topic has been interesting so far, but it doesn't seem to be clear and easy answer to it.

However, I've appreciated everyone adding their thoughts, opinions and advise.

I need to investigate the bank beneficiary route and also go and see a Thai solicitor regarding a 'Will'

I'm assuming without doing this, she should also be able to access my bank and assets after my death as shes my WIFE!

Also no family over here other than her to oppose against it.

I just want everything to be as easy and straight forward for her in the event of my death.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. rolleyes.gif

Assets in joint accounts are frozen on the death of either of the named persons.

The surviving partner taking out money, before probate, without notifying the bank of the death would be committing fraud.

So not an answer to the problem.

!!

There are none so blind as those who will not listen!!

I despair at people posting this uninformed crap.

You cannot commit fraud for withdrawing money that you are legally entitled to.

Where a joint account is operated under an 'either to sign' mandate then the surviving account holder can access the account without restriction.

I can answer one part for you. The repatriation of a body from Thailand is possible, but it is going to cost a considerable sum of money.

You will need someone to handle the body at this end and ensure it is embalmed to the necessary standard and is placed in an approved container and it is accompanied by the relevant documents during transport.

You will need to pay for air freight, and then have a funeral director or repatriation agent collect the body from the airport for you.

It's a costly business. On the other hand, if you don't mind being cremated then you can get cremated here and in most circumstances you can ship the cremated remains back.

This is an immensely cheaper option. If it is wanted there can be a memorial service in your home country, which is the same as a funeral, but without the coffin.

If you are worried about being a burden, consider a cremation in Thailand.

If, of course, you are a Muslim or a Jew then my advice is more than likely irrelevant to you.

Thanks for your imput.

Yes, flying my body back isn't an option.

Thai funeral every time, decide how many days for celebration, 3 would be normal for Farang. Cost about 10,000/15,000 baht. That should include

the fireworks so you go with a bang.

Funeral in UK cost £4/5,000

Why would anyone want to ship dead body around the world, waste of time and money. Get solicitor to make a proper will or there will be problems.

Recent Farang funeral in a nearby village, cremation on day 3 after death cost 150,000 Baht - no alcohol.

This is something that all expat Farangs should consider.

As Bill says, in most cases it is statistically unlikely - however, I have seen it happen and with disastrous consequences.

Bill, you will not be concerned but I am sure you understand that you have little security of tenure should your wife die. If she bequeaths the house to you (which I doubt she has based on your post) you will have 12 months to transfer it to a Thai. That can, of course, be your son. You still have no legal right of occupation and the sensible advice would be to take a lease or usufruct. As I said, in your case you will see no need for that but I would recommend that others at least consider what there position would be.

If a wife should die intestate then you would be entitled to 50% of the estate - not sure what would happen if (for example) a son wanted to realise his 50%? There are good websites like Thai Law Online and Samui for Sale that have further information i.e

The surviving spouse is a statutory heir but their entitlement depends on what other class of statutory heir exists. If there are surviving children of the deceased, the spouse and children take the estate between them. Therefore, if there are three children, then the estate is divided in to four equal shares.

One situation I saw was a Farnag who's wife died prematurely and the family said he could stay in the house for life. They actually forcibly removed him within 6 months.

Edited by Jip99

This is something that all expat Farangs should consider.

As Bill says, in most cases it is statistically unlikely - however, I have seen it happen and with disastrous consequences.

Bill, you will not be concerned but I am sure you understand that you have little security of tenure should your wife die. If she bequeaths the house to you (which I doubt she has based on your post) you will have 12 months to transfer it to a Thai. That can, of course, be your son. You still have no legal right of occupation and the sensible advice would be to take a lease or usufruct. As I said, in your case you will see no need for that but I would recommend that others at least consider what there position would be.

If a wife should die intestate then you would be entitled to 50% of the estate - not sure what would happen if (for example) a son wanted to realise his 50%? There are good websites like Thai Law Online and Samui for Sale that have further information i.e

The surviving spouse is a statutory heir but their entitlement depends on what other class of statutory heir exists. If there are surviving children of the deceased, the spouse and children take the estate between them. Therefore, if there are three children, then the estate is divided in to four equal shares.

One situation I saw was a Farang who's wife died prematurely and the family said he could stay in the house for life. They actually forcibly removed him within 6 months.

We have each made a will (in Thai and English) each naming the other and our son at 12 years old who will inherit the house and land in either case. As he is our only child so whichever of us dies first there will be only 2 survivors either way. Additionally I am named as his guardian and AFAIK if the house is in his name it cannot be sold until he is of legal age. Before then it would have to go through the legalities of the Children's Court.

For me the worst case scenario would be if the were both to die in for example an accident. Her 2 eldest brothers are specifically written out of both of our wills but her youngest brother is not. Her Dad is 83, her Mum will be 70 this year and she lives with us in a small house 20 metres from ours.

If I were faced with that position I think that the house and land would be a long way down my list of things to think about.

I can answer one part for you. The repatriation of a body from Thailand is possible, but it is going to cost a considerable sum of money.

You will need someone to handle the body at this end and ensure it is embalmed to the necessary standard and is placed in an approved container and it is accompanied by the relevant documents during transport.

You will need to pay for air freight, and then have a funeral director or repatriation agent collect the body from the airport for you.

It's a costly business. On the other hand, if you don't mind being cremated then you can get cremated here and in most circumstances you can ship the cremated remains back.

This is an immensely cheaper option. If it is wanted there can be a memorial service in your home country, which is the same as a funeral, but without the coffin.

If you are worried about being a burden, consider a cremation in Thailand.

If, of course, you are a Muslim or a Jew then my advice is more than likely irrelevant to you.

Thanks for your imput.

Thai funeral every time, decide how many days for celebration, 3 would be normal for Farang. Cost about 10,000/15,000 baht. That should include

Why would anyone want to ship dead body around the world, waste of time and money. Get solicitor to make a proper will or there will be problems.

Recent Farang funeral in a nearby village, cremation on day 3 after death cost 150,000 Baht - no alcohol.

Hmmm!

Eight years ago, Thai funeral in impoverished village in Central Thailand, farang (moi) offered to pay for funeral costs of wifes father funeral (100 day) party, 35k baht including alcohol, actors who put on a Chinese/Thai play/show, more food than necessary and around 100 people. It was a good do but a bit overdone I thought, 150K baht, sounds like a scam to me.

Thanks for your imput.

Hmmm!

Eight years ago, Thai funeral in impoverished village in Central Thailand, farang (moi) offered to pay for funeral costs of wifes father funeral (100 day) party, 35k baht including alcohol, actors who put on a Chinese/Thai play/show, more food than necessary and around 100 people. It was a good do but a bit overdone I thought, 150K baht, sounds like a scam to me.

I think the pigs cost more than that.

Probably the monks as well.

The widow is unlikely to scam herself, asd she was the sole beneficiary of the estate !!

Up here we can hire tables, chairs, furniture etc from the local temple (they used a loan from the village fund to buy stuff and earn money back on rentals). There are also quite a few other places who will do the whole thing on a sale or return basis.

Hong Thong is 250 baht a bottle, soda is 120 baht for 24, beer about 45 baht a bottle, ice will be delivered on a daily basis by the ice lady, water and soda for the kids, water is about 3 baht a plastic carton, soda 25 baht a bottle. Pork is about 110 baht a kg, fish and vegetables my wife knows the prices more than me.

Catering for say 100 people for 3 nights would easily reach 100k but it would be offset by the donations. Bear in mind that in rural Thailand 100 baht is a fair amount of money to a poor farmer.

I just want to be burned up no party no frills just put gas on me and light a match. Let my young g/f use the money to get on with her life. If I am not alive to enjoy the party forget it. My footprint is all over this planet so its game over time to get off so someone younger can get on and make an ass of themselves like I did at times. I do not need to go out in a blaze of glory. A toast to the hereafter wherever it might be or whatever it might be. BOO!!!

I just want to be burned up no party no frills just put gas on me and light a match. Let my young g/f use the money to get on with her life. If I am not alive to enjoy the party forget it. My footprint is all over this planet so its game over time to get off so someone younger can get on and make an ass of themselves like I did at times. I do not need to go out in a blaze of glory. A toast to the hereafter wherever it might be or whatever it might be. BOO!!!

So your young wife is not Buddhist ?

eg

Great info, thanks.

But I can't use a joint account because I think it will mess things up for my future marriage extensions. (The account has to be in my name only as far as I'm aware)

Certainly, you can make your wife beneficiary on that account in the event of your death.

Wow, so such information!!

Thanks Guys!!

This sounds like the easiest way.

How does one make their Thai wife a 'Beneficiary' should I die?

Try speaking with the bank.

There's a beautiful grandmother cedar above my house in Canada. I fed the birds there my whole life. If I died there, my family knows I want a First Nations sky burial, in the tree with a few of my fondest possessions. I have doctor friends (who hopefully will not predecease me, to make this happen.)

However, if I die in Thailand, I would not wish my wife the added painful burden. Cremation is fine, without any fuss or big expence...or she could just have me taxidermed, naked, on the couch with a glass of wine in my mitt!

There's a beautiful grandmother cedar above my house in Canada. I fed the birds there my whole life. If I died there, my family knows I want a First Nations sky burial, in the tree with a few of my fondest possessions. I have doctor friends (who hopefully will not predecease me, to make this happen.)

However, if I die in Thailand, I would not wish my wife the added painful burden. Cremation is fine, without any fuss or big expence...or she could just have me taxidermed, naked, on the couch with a glass of wine in my mitt!

With all the kooky answers on this subject I find yours the most refreshing. Sadly I can only give you one like. Either one of your options sound good. Go the cremation part here as she will find it hard to find a good taxidermist here. If you go before me and she does find a good taxidermist have the wife take a photo and mail it to me. ha ha ha or better yet post it on TV with a towel draped over your Johnston. P.S. Also do a second shot and mail a copy to our dear leader Harper sans towel and glass. Give him the Trudeau salute.

Edited by elgordo38

• 2 weeks later...

... if I die, he can come here and remove all of the money in the account...

Mmm, not sure about protocols/laws in LOS, but in Aussie there's no way any person, whether on the will or not, could get away with emptying the bank account of a deceased person. Governments have laws for a reason. My 0.02 cents worth.

Footnote: Reason for edit - too long methought. Cut down quote to salient point.

Edited by thaitakeaway

My Thai wife and I are legally married and have been together for more than ten years. I told her that when my time comes I don't want any music, parties or dancing girls. Just have me cremated and that is it. She immediately told me that is NOT up to me and that she doesn't want to talk about it.

My Thai wife and I are legally married and have been together for more than ten years. I told her that when my time comes I don't want any music, parties or dancing girls. Just have me cremated and that is it. She immediately told me that is NOT up to me and that she doesn't want to talk about it.

"Oh east is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet" Kipling.