NBTC: Unregistered pre-paid numbers only allowed to register within this month

webfact

NBTC: Unregistered pre-paid numbers only allowed to register within this month

BANGKOK, 20 August 2015 (NNT) – Unregistered pre-paid mobile numbers that have been blocked have until the end of this month to register and regain services, the NBTC Secretary-General says.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Secretary-General Takorn Tantasith has revealed that about 72 million pre-paid numbers have been registered with the NBTC, while 4.7 million unregistered numbers have been blocked from making calls and internet connections.

He has said that after re-registration, the blocked numbers can regain services, but users only have until the end of August to do this, while the general public are still constantly bringing their numbers in to register.

The NBTC Secretary-General addressed a concerning rumor that unregistered numbers could be used to cause any crime or terrorism such as explosion, saying that these rumors are false, as they are blocked from making calls. He added that the if a telephone device was used to detonate a bomb, the number will be identified.

In addition, the mobile service providers have proposed to the NBTC to terminate the cellular services to unregistered numbers by the end of September. Text message warnings will be sent to those numbers at risk ahead of time, in keeping with the service contract. The NBTC will further submit this case to the Cabinet’s approval, the NBTC Secretary-General has said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-20 footer_n.gif

NBTC may revoke 13 million unregistered and inactive SIM cards

8-19-2015-10-31-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 17.7 million pre-paid SIM cards have not yet been registered and, of these, about 13 million of them are inactive or barely active, said Mr Thakorn Tanthasathit, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, on Wednesday.

Subscribers of these SIM cards will be told to register within August 31 otherwise the service providers may ask the NBTC to revoke the inactive or barely active SIM cards totaling 13 million.

Of the 17.7 million pre-paid SIM cards which are yet to be registered, 9.2 million of them belong to AIS service provider and, of these, only 3 million are active; 5.5 million belong to DTAC and, of these, only 1.1 million are active; and 3 million belong to True Move and, of these, only 600,000 are active.

Thakorn said that the NBTC would report to the cabinet about what it intends to do with the inactive SIM cards.

Regarding the concern that the unregistered SIM cards may be used by southern separatists to detonate bombs, he explained that this would not be possible because phones using these cards cannot make calls but can only receive calls.

The NBTC, meanwhile, has issued an announcement to protect consumers from overexploitation from service providers or from jamming them with junk mails without their prior consent.

In such a case, the consumers can lodge a complaint with the NBTC and the service providers or business operators must clarify with the NBTC within 15 days. The NBTC can order the providers or operators to stop the practice and if the providers or operators defy the order, they may face an administrative fine of 5 million baht and a daily fine of 100,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-may-revoke-13-million-unregistered-and-inactive-sim-cards

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-20

Regarding the concern that the unregistered SIM cards may be used by southern separatists to detonate bombs, he explained that this would not be possible because phones using these cards cannot make calls but can only receive calls.

....can only receive calls.
That would be enough to ignite a bomb.

There are many, many ways to detonate an IED without using a mobile phone, and loads of opportunities for collecting fake ID (to register a SIM card) from random punters, or to use an overseas SIM card with local roaming from any one of dozens of countries that support mobile phone roaming with hundreds of millions of PAYG subscribers worldwide.

What a complete bunch of technology bereft <deleted> for thinking that putting everyone here in Thailand to the trouble of registering SIM cards that it will help, even in the slightest way, to prevent mobile phones from being used to trigger an explosive device, or to trace the culprit.facepalm.gif

You mean like let the bomb call you?

The first deadline was March 31st. That was five months ago. Typical of everything Thai, lets extend that, or lets just not make a definitive decision.

What ?

The announcement was on the 1st of February stating sims need to be registered giving a deadline of 31st July.

when was this deadline of march 31st announced ?

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/

Edited by Don Mega

???

You drunken?

Or was that an intelligent contribution?

Edited by tomacht8

???

You drunken?

Not yet.

But maybe you can explain how you can ignite a bomb with a phone that can't make outgoing calls.

???

You drunken?

Not yet.

But maybe you can explain how you can ignite a bomb with a phone that can't make outgoing calls.

A telephone which can receive calls, can be used as a detonator on the bomb.

The triggering call can then be made from any telephone in Nakon Nowhere.

Edited by tomacht8

???

You drunken?

Not yet.

A phone that has internet connectivity can certainly make an outgoing call.

As a frequent long stay visitor to Thailand I have had a thai pay as you go number, will this be turned off before I get there, if so, how do I register from the UK

Good point and I'm sure one not thought of by the Junta.

For you and other visitors who have bought sim cards but left Thailand before the mandatory registration would seem to lose ability to reactivate the card.

I'm current overseas. How do I check if my sim is registered or not? Wife says that it is but who knows. I have a couple of old sims from before smart phones that I still use for banking and still keep topped up. These are used in a flip phone.

Is there anyway to register from overseas and how do I check that I am registered yet not?

Thanks

A digital watch can also be used to detonate a bomb, have they completely forgotten the history of bombs?? Decades before we all had mobile phones people were blowing things up with other types of detonators

Are we going to register our watches too?

Will we need Id cards to buy a 100thb watch now? :(

I'm current overseas. How do I check if my sim is registered or not? Wife says that it is but who knows. I have a couple of old sims from before smart phones that I still use for banking and still keep topped up. These are used in a flip phone.

Is there anyway to register from overseas and how do I check that I am registered yet not?

Thanks

i am not in country also and my number is already blocked from calling/sending texts. i just spoke with AIS (+6622719000) and was told that i could email a copy of my passport along with a photo of the back of my sim card (so all #'s show clearly) to a Thai friend along with a signed letter (via email is fine) naming the Thai friend and stating that they are acting as my agent to facilitate registration of my phone number. Then the Thai friend (with Thai ID card) can go to any AIS shop and register my number. the AIS agent (who was great) said many foreigners had done this and it's fine.

in my case, i'll be back before 30 Sept, so i'll just do it myself; but i figure this is useful info to others.

hth

My sim is dtac and using the code

*151*9#

it shows i am not registered.

their website has something about a VDO call to register. going to try that during business hours. so i guess we have until the end of August to figure this out?

Think then when farang coming to holiday, buying prepaid and register that. Before he/she go home throw prepaid card away to street. Then terrorist pick up it and soon your right name with wrong terrorist face are in TV. Then go about one or two week before they find that picture and name not match with airport imigration pictures. After that they try to find terrorist who have already fly away with pictures. :)