Erawan Shrine vendors lament loss of business

webfact

Vendors lament loss of business
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

30267023-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- IT WILL BE A few months before the business of selling garlands, candles and incense picks up, said Thitaree Sua-nonmuang, one of the dozen garland sellers outside the Erawan Shrine, which was hit by a deadly explosion on Monday evening.

"I am sad. Why was the attacker so cruel? Even in front of a holy shrine, there's no safety," the 54-year-old told The Nation yesterday - two days after the attack, which left at least 20 dead and more than a hundred injured.

Thitaree and her colleagues were spared death and injuries simply because the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration closed the stalls for a weekly cleaning of the street.

Yesterday, the garland vendors arrived back at work, but there were very few tourists or worshippers.

"I don't know how to make a living. How can I make ends meet if nobody comes to worship?" she wondered. The site houses Thailand's most famous statue of Brahma - the Hindu god who is regarded as the "creator".

Though Thitaree and her colleagues are worried about their business, they also understand if people decide to stay away for the sake of their safety.

"I understand their feelings," she said, referring to the quiet atmosphere yesterday compared to the usual bustling traffic of worshippers.

"Even I don't want to walk around here," she said, adding that she had to come as it was her job. "I think it will take months before things return to normal. Confidence [in safety] is lost."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Vendors-lament-loss-of-business-30267023.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-20

I always thought that those garland sellers might be multi millionaires. The garlands sell for 3 times the fresh market price and are brought back for sale after the worshipper deposits it in front of the diety. And the volume of sale is very high.

A typical Thai response to a horrific event.

" Why people bomb me place of business - now me have no money "

Selfish and insensitive remarks made by morons, who should be thanking Buddha that they still have their lives and all body parts.

My wife told me that if you light a candle at this shrine it will bring you much good luck.

So one day we went there and lit some candles, before we had left the place a monk took our candles away! They only had burned 5 minutes or so.

facepalm.gifwai.gifwai2.gif

"Even in front of a holy shrine, there's no safety," Tis' holy, only to those who believe it to be so.

For those with greedy or dark intentions, it is an opportune place for profit or mayhem.

Edited by Benmart

"Even in front of a holy shrine, there's no safety," Tis' holy, only to those who believe it to be so.

For those with greedy or dark intentions, it is an opportune place for profit or mayhem.

Well i'm not religious at all but i respect all religions or people who believe in them.

But i think it's respectless to dove the candles that people buy and light at this shrine. Some people (like hindu's) might have travelled very far to pray and light a candle at the Erawan shrine. And to see a monk doving your candle after 5 minutes which you paid like 100 baht (i forgot the real number) for is something i will never forget. It was very respectless to do so in my opinion.

If they need more space for candles to burn then they should expand the candle-area. In my opinion they should never dove any candle which is lit by a paying "customer".

Yes lots of people have died and these people are concerned about there pockets. Pathetic

Agreed 100%.

For no money in the world would i sit at that shrine or anywhere close to it all days.

It seems these vendors like to take the risk to get hit by a bomb.

From now on i will never ever even come close to it. If i want to go to Paragon or Central World by skytrain then i will walk as fast as i can. And if there are still beggars/vendors at the skywalk (in front of Paragon) blocking the walkway i will just walk over their merchandise.

Thitaree and her colleagues were spared death and injuries simply because the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration closed the stalls for a weekly cleaning of the street.

wow, they were amazingly fortunate. Given the pictures i saw, all of them would be dead or in the hospital if they had been on the site.

As for the completely unfeeling flames against these people which I read above, please get a grip.

They did not write the title to the article and if you read the comments from the street vendors, NONE of them said the heartless things of which you are accusing them of saying.

Edited by tbthailand

Wonder how much you have to pay in "Tea money" to get the contract to sell garlands in front of the shrine? Is it the boys from the other side of the road who control the business?

Sadly not otherwise BIB would have been based their. The kickbacks are with BMA but the garland sellers are on a salary and don't own the place.

So wrong to have vendors selling their wares near a holy shrine. The government just need to install a machine that accept money for candles or joss sticks. Now the need to clear vendors near the shrine is more warranted as it compromise security.

Yes lots of people have died and these people are concerned about there pockets. Pathetic

Agreed 100%.

For no money in the world would i sit at that shrine or anywhere close to it all days.

It seems these vendors like to take the risk to get hit by a bomb.

From now on i will never ever even come close to it. If i want to go to Paragon or Central World by skytrain then i will walk as fast as i can. And if there are still beggars/vendors at the skywalk (in front of Paragon) blocking the walkway i will just walk over their merchandise.

Given the heat right now in Bangkok why would anyone spend more time outside than they need to? Of course, these vendors do because that's the only job they know, so getting covered in sweat, dirt, dust and stinking like an old sock at the end of the day is normal for them.

But for most other people in that area, both locals and tourists, you try to spend as much time indoors and minimize the amount of time you spend outdoors. There are plenty of shopping centers within a stone's throw of that area, such as Central World, Gaysorn Plaza, Paragon, MBK and Siam, all of which offer air-conditioned dining and shopping in comfort all the while allowing one to avoid the heat that has resulted in temperatures of up to 38 degrees C today and as high as 41 degrees 2 days ago.

Thats why I do not like the tourist areas anymore they just look at westernes as walking ATMs , I put it down to the when TAT anounces the figures along with an amount of money made from them. They are crass insensative people

Wonder how much you have to pay in "Tea money" to get the contract to sell garlands in front of the shrine? Is it the boys from the other side of the road who control the business?

Sadly not otherwise BIB would have been based their. The kickbacks are with BMA but the garland sellers are on a salary and don't own the place.

Before the bomb it must been very good business for the vendors in this location and the kickbacks must been quite high.