Heightened security. Ok but.......

petedk

I am all for heightened security and baggage checks but where do you set the limit?

Every week I have been going to an office in a high building where there is a scanner and security check. The guards know me and often greet me with a smile. I open the zip on my backpack and they glance inside. I have my iPad, chargers, thumb drives to PC, books and documents etc.

Today, however was somewhat different.

There was no smile or greeting and they had a table for me to put my bag on. I took it off and suddenly one of the guards took it out of my hands and moved away from me. He opened my bag and to my horror he stuck his hand inside and started to rummage around. I noticed they were all wearing thin rubber gloves today specially for that purpose. I tried to stop him but the other guard gently held me back.

When they gave me my bag back I said "thank you" and tried to stay calm.

Ok. Why am I worried? There is a slight possibilty that they could have planted something in my bag. I doubt it, as I know these people, but if it had been a new place I would certainly have poured everything out onto the table just to check.

Am I being paranoid? This is Thailand and one never knows what can happen.

What would you have done?

Never heard of "sleepers" , people who work the same job year in year out, then blow the place to pieces. People they work with state "never would have suspected him/her, been here for years"

You never know, in these uncertain times, and did those few minutes really matter that much, go with the flow, its no real big deal and the guys are just doing their job at a particularly sensitive time given recent events.

More lip service, wont stop anything or anyone determined enough as mentioned sleepers do this for years, want a bomb in a plane just recruit the pilots from a young age or ground crew

I agree with much of the above, and since these were the regular chaps I doubt anything untoward was going on, but I would still be writing a strongly worded letter to the building management. I'm sure it's purely lack of training that's the issue here.

Despite having a uniform and a whistle these security guys have no more right to search than any other member of the public, they must rely upon your cooperation.

• They took your bag without your permission.
  • They removed it from your sight and opened it without your permission.
  • They physically searched inside it without your permission and out of your sight.
  • They physically prevented you from observing what they were doing to your bag.

In some jurisdictions that's enough for a criminal prosecution (probably not in Thailand mind).

I hope they have some female security staff if they're going to start manhandling members of the public (even here that's assault).

Of course, give it a week and all will be back to normal smiles and cursory look.

Edited by TheMysteriousMrTesla

Normally don't see security people sticking their hands in bags like that. The reason is not to protect your privacy but in case there are any sharp object, needles, etc in your baggage that could cause injury to the security personnel.

The usual way is to ask the owner to remove all objects before a search. But I'm sure you could imagine the tailback if this was performed on a busy entry point.

I agree with much of the above, and since these were the regular chaps I doubt anything untoward was going on, but I would still be writing a strongly worded letter to the building management. I'm sure it's purely lack of training that's the issue here.

And I would sincerely hope

that the building management

told you in perfect English

where you could stick your

strongly worded letter. They

treat the Thais in the same

way; they're not trained to

accommodate my-shit-don't

-stink farangs with over-

inflated sense of self-

importance

Normally don't see security people sticking their hands in bags like that. The reason is not to protect your privacy but in case there are any sharp object, needles, etc in your baggage that could cause injury to the security personnel.

The usual way is to ask the owner to remove all objects before a search. But I'm sure you could imagine the tailback if this was performed on a busy entry point.

I went to the same building today and their policy has changed. Yes, they asked me to open the bag and take a few things out.

When I arrived at the office, the thai staff told me that several people had complained about this method of searching.

A happy ending!

I can understand the heightened security and I can understand the OP's concern that he was worried that something could have been planted in his bag . . .

Maybe, the guards should wear white gloves rather like those crap magicians, and maybe they could gayly wave their hands around before dipping into the bag to show they have nothing in their hands to plant in the bag, rather like those crap magicians

I can understand the heightened security and I can understand the OP's concern that he was worried that something could have been planted in his bag . . .

Maybe, the guards should wear white gloves rather like those crap magicians, and maybe they could gayly wave their hands around before dipping into the bag to show they have nothing in their hands to plant in the bag, rather like those crap magicians

And maybe make u disappear laugh.png

Despite having a uniform and a whistle these security guys have no more right to search than any other member of the public, they must rely upon your cooperation.

• They physically searched inside it without your permission and out of your sight.
  • They physically prevented you from observing what they were doing to your bag.

In some jurisdictions that's enough for a criminal prosecution (probably not in Thailand mind).

I hope they have some female security staff if they're going to start manhandling members of the public (even here that's assault).

Of course, give it a week and all will be back to normal smiles and cursory look.

yes sure you would ask the guy with a bomb for permission? Be realistic. I male, recall that female staff checked my body several times at the airport, so it shouldn't be a problem of male staff checking females. I doubt after checking 10s of thousands of women that it is still erotic for them.

People will complain about anything in this country. If you don't like it go back to Amerika where airport "security" has full authority to grope your underage daughter.

And if there would be a bomb attack in the building, people would complain, that they only had short looks into the bag and it must searched, but Thai people are too sloppy.......

Whatever they do some Farangs will complain.

Searching your bag: reasonable. (there could be a bomb inside)

Searching your mobile phone, laptop and camera and copy the content like in America: not reasonable. (there can't be a bomb in the MicroSD card)

"When they gave me my bag back I said "thank you" and tried to stay calm.

Ok. Why am I worried? There is a slight possibilty that they could have planted something in my bag. I doubt it, as I know these people, but if it had been a new place I would certainly have poured everything out onto the table just to check.

Am I being paranoid? This is Thailand and one never knows what can happen."

Aren't we the lucky ones that come from countries where this type of thing could never possibly happen...it could only happen in Thailand???

Edited by dotpoom

Accept the fact they are doing their job during heightened security.

Thats exactly how ' they' want you to think.

Create a state of fear , introduce security Measures "for your safety' that erodes your civil rights and privacy.

Give up your liberty for freedom

This modus operandi has been working fine in the US and throughout the world for years .

Perhaps you should take your own advise-try Germany or Austria they have plenty of wursts.

My suggestion is for you to try to find a way out to leave this country and also advise all your friends and relations back home to stay away from this place as its beyond salvation. Its only getting worsts day by day.

Create a state of fear , introduce security Measures "for your safety' that erodes your civil rights and privacy.

This modus operandi has been working fine in the US and throughout the world for years .

I know what you want to tell and I agree. Just people gave up liberty AND freedom. Before they had both.

I think you are dead wrong here. This building is private property. Therefore they can set rules. You can go with the flow or not enter the building. At my building security is as high as it could be. The also check my car inside out. Every day. And to me.... it makes me assured that they at least try to maintain the best security they can provide.

I think you meant to say "...give up liberty for security..."

I think the quote end with "...deserves neither."

(Was that Franklin?)

Problem, this is Thailand, has absolutely nothing to do with it. Paranoid may be a mild word for whatever is troubling you.

We live in USA, an historic beach front community. Disaster struck some many years ago. I spoke about it with my doctor.

He said, its your neighborhood. He lives in a more cosmo beach front community. When disaster struck there, I didn't say anything.....

other than, how is your family?

Yes, you're being paranoid. They're doing their jobs. Why the hell would they want to plant anything on you?

Maybe I am being paranoid , but there have been so many cases where people claimed that police planted drugs on them.

If that happened to me, I wouldn't stand a chance in hell. It would either be pay whatever they demand or go to prison.

These security guardsare employed by a security company and have a very low salary. They have no loyality whatsoever to the offices they are sent to work at. Who knows what they may do to get more money.

Edited by petedk

I think you are dead wrong here. This building is private property. Therefore they can set rules. You can go with the flow or not enter the building. At my building security is as high as it could be. The also check my car inside out. Every day. And to me.... it makes me assured that they at least try to maintain the best security they can provide.

That is perfectly ok by me. I don't mind being searched but I want to see and know what they are doing.