O visa to O-A visa

Pretty well the same except for police clearanceand med cert to show that i do not have

1) Elephantiasis

2) Leprosy

3) Stage 3 syphilis

Doctor in oz laughed and said that drugs are a bigger problem than any of the above, and another thing, i have been in Thailand for the last 15 months !

I only had 6 months left on my PP so had to get another to cover 12 months..

Before this i have had no problems at the Brisbane Thai Consul ( which has just been sold, a very valuable property indeed) usually in and out in 2 hours, this all had to be done by post through the Canberrra Embassy.

Bank statements were not necessary as all Australian pensioners have to declare their Income and Assets to Centrelink ( Social Security). I just get a print out of my I & A from Centrtelink. This is accepted by the Embassy.

I asked for the usual O visa, giving me 15 months, which needs 90 day visa runs but was given the O-A which i am not sure about regarding visa runs or time in country, that is why i am asking, hope somebody can clear it up for me, Ubonjoe usually comes up with a sensible answer to most Visa questions...

OK now I understand !

The "friendly" Brisbane Hon.Thai consulate has closed and Canberra do not issue multiple entry non O visas .

The visa you have will allow a one year stay in Thailand without the need for border runs although you will have to report to immigration every ninety days. During the year you can travel if you wish and each time you enter Thailand a fresh one year permission to stay will be stamped in your passport.

Here is the good bit !

If you leave and re enter Thailand just prior to the visa expiring you will get another one year permission to stay!

During this second year you will have to obtain a re entry permit if travelling outside Thailand.

Toward the end of the second years stay you could apply for an extension of stay but you would need 800,00 Bht in a Thai bank or a certified income of 65,000/month.

Enjoy your stay !

NB

Aus 275-3 in the 5th test !

Edited by nowretired
  • Like 1

Nowretired has covered it all. On side note. It appears that AU now only issues an O-A if visa is based on retirement. Melbourne website states they provide a non imm o based on retirement but they do not. Pretty much the only consulate that was issuing them was Brisbane. Of course now closed. I have tried Perth, Hobart etc. Sydney and Canberra happy to provide O-A ...that's it

Nowretired has covered it all. On side note. It appears that AU now only issues an O-A if visa is based on retirement. Melbourne website states they provide a non imm o based on retirement but they do not. Pretty much the only consulate that was issuing them was Brisbane. Of course now closed. I have tried Perth, Hobart etc. Sydney and Canberra happy to provide O-A ...that's it

Yes, this is what i found in my journey to a new visa. I gather that i can go to Phnom Phen and return when the time comes.

Thanks all for your help

Yes, this is what i found in my journey to a new visa. I gather that i can go to Phnom Phen and return when the time comes.

Thanks all for your help

Not sure what you mean by when the time comes.

If you mean do the last entry just before the enter before date on your visa you can just do a border hop to use it. No need to go to Phnom Phen.

Oldsalior as ubon points out , you just need to exit. Guess lot depends where you live. I'm in bkk and would choose to fly to somewhere like HCMC for a short break . The flights are sometimes so ridiculously cheap. Going shortly 1500 return. Yes there is visa cost to Vietnam also Cambodia.

Oldsalior as ubon points out , you just need to exit. Guess lot depends where you live. I'm in bkk and would choose to fly to somewhere like HCMC for a short break . The flights are sometimes so ridiculously cheap. Going shortly 1500 return. Yes there is visa cost to Vietnam also Cambodia.

At this time it depends where one is from. France, Germany, Italy, Spain ans UK are 15 days visa exempt until next year. Other countries were proposed but weren't approved.

Edited by paz

At this time it depends where one is from. France, Germany, Italy, Spain ans UK are 15 days visa exempt until next year. Other countries were proposed but weren't approved.

You miss the point and topic associated with the whole thread which has nothing to do with visa exempt entries !

And ALL G7 countries get a 30 day visa exempt entry a fact which you seem to have missed ....................

You miss the point and topic associated with the whole thread which has nothing to do with visa exempt entries !

And ALL G7 countries get a 30 day visa exempt entry a fact which you seem to have missed ....................

I haven't missed anything. My answer was about Vietnam visa cost, which I've put in bold above to help you not miss it.

The OP mentioned "doctor certificate in OZ" ie medical.

He is Australian. Also note it seems now AU do not issue non imm O based on retirement.

Back to travel to Vietnam. OP you can obtain letter of approval online. $20aud. Pay for visa when you arrive. Think its $45usd. Take USD but they do now accept baht.

A "Non-O" is a visa for "Other purposes", while a "Non-O-A" is a visa for retirees over 50.

The difference is that with the Non-O you will need to get out of Thailand every 90 days and then re-enter for a 90-day-stamp,

Those will be either "S" or "M" for single or multiple entries, the latter is actually good for close to 15 months in Thailand if you time your entries right

(i.e. enter for the last time on the "best before" date of 1 year).

With the "Non-O-A" you got now you can stay in Thailand for one year and do not have to leave the country, but you will need to register with

immigration in person or by letter every 90 days. To leave the country and return you'd have to get a re-entry permit (single or multiple) first,

or you will have a problem re-entering as your Non-O-A is valid for only one entry.

Further the requirements for the Non-O-A encompass proof of financial status, those 800k THB, while for the Non-O some sort of reliable income seems to suffice.

At least that is the case with my friendly Honorary Consulate in Essen, Germany.

A "Non-O" is a visa for "Other purposes", while a "Non-O-A" is a visa for retirees over 50.

The difference is that with the Non-O you will need to get out of Thailand every 90 days and then re-enter for a 90-day-stamp,

Those will be either "S" or "M" for single or multiple entries, the latter is actually good for close to 15 months in Thailand if you time your entries right

(i.e. enter for the last time on the "best before" date of 1 year).

With the "Non-O-A" you got now you can stay in Thailand for one year and do not have to leave the country, but you will need to register with

immigration in person or by letter every 90 days. To leave the country and return you'd have to get a re-entry permit (single or multiple) first,

or you will have a problem re-entering as your Non-O-A is valid for only one entry.

Further the requirements for the Non-O-A encompass proof of financial status, those 800k THB, while for the Non-O some sort of reliable income seems to suffice.

At least that is the case with my friendly Honorary Consulate in Essen, Germany.

Your post provides misinformation !

All O/A visas are multi entry and a re entry permit is not required whilst the visa is valid.

It is not a requirement that 800k baht is shown to qualify for an O/A visa . The equivalent sum in any currency can be shown and it can be in a "foreign" bank.

I doubt an Hon Consulate is authorised to issue O/A visas.

For many years i have had O visa but now they have given me an O-A visa. What is the difference

Its better by any means tongue.png (except for the price).

All said: 1 year permission to stay, just 90 day report needed, no req. to leave the country during this year.

Another year possible when re-entering shortly before the visa (!) expires (not when the permission to stay ends).

90 day report will be new for you.

I belive it is a Non-O is issued within Thailand. A Non-O-A is issued outdside the country.

Non "O" visas are not routinely issued in Thailand.

It is possible to "convert" an entry gained from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa to an "O" visa entry providing it can be proved the applicant can meet the financial requirements for an extension of stay.

[...]

All O/A visas are multi entry and a re entry permit is not required whilst the visa is valid.

It is not a requirement that 800k baht is shown to qualify for an O/A visa . The equivalent sum in any currency can be shown and it can be in a "foreign" bank.

You might be right on the multi entry of O/As. But better triple check, just imagine being stranded in Cambo and trying to get your papers together for a new visa application.

I did not write anything about the 800k having to be in a Thai bank, but as far as I am informed that actually is the requirement and that money actually needs to have been in that account for 90 days prior to application.

It's however nothing the OP asked about, he got his visa.

That one I know for a definite fact. Did it twice in Germany.

A "Non-O" is a visa for "Other purposes", while a "Non-O-A" is a visa for retirees over 50.[...]

You might be right on the multi entry of O/As. But better triple check, just imagine being stranded in Cambo and trying to get your papers together for a new visa application.

I did not write anything about the 800k having to be in a Thai bank, but as far as I am informed that actually is the requirement and that money actually needs to have been in that account for 90 days prior to application.

It's however nothing the OP asked about, he got his visa.

For heavens sake the OP is Australian. He would of obtained his O-A in AU. Also you are incorrect AGAIN about the money. It does not need to be seasoned. Also for first application for say a non O it needs to be in bank for 60 days and extensions 90.

The OP must of obtained this o-a in Australia.

• Like 1

Must be a thing of the past.

Visa issuance by Honorary Consulates have been limited some time ago and the website of the Thai Embassy in Berlin clearly states that Non O-A is issued in Berlin or Frankfurt General Consulate only.

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/konsularwesen-visa-beglaubigungen/wie-man-ein-visum-beantragt

Look for "LONGSTAY".

Thanks all for your help

Not sure what you mean by when the time comes.

If you mean do the last entry just before the enter before date on your visa you can just do a border hop to use it. No need to go to Phnom Phen.

Sorry to cause any confusion, i was just stating PP as an example as i would like to go there sometime.

Been to just about everywhere in the region.

Thanks !

I am from Australia and living on Koh Samui past 8 years. Previously always had Non Imm 'O' which was issued over the counter at the Thai Consul in Brisbane every 15 months. This however was closed and sold earlier in the year. Now i have to apply by mail to the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra. No more O-A visas there, only O.

Edited by oldsailor35

The OP mentioned "doctor certificate in OZ" ie medical.

He is Australian. Also note it seems now AU do not issue non imm O based on retirement.

Back to travel to Vietnam. OP you can obtain letter of approval online. $20aud. Pay for visa when you arrive. Think its $45usd. Take USD but they do now accept baht.

Already been there thanks !

A O-A visa is really designed for people who want to live in Thailand and retire here.

That's why it is available for people over 50 years of age....the Thai "retirement" age.

If you have an O-a visa when you firs enter Thailand you will get stamped on arrival with a "permitted to stay" stamp of one year from your date of entry.

You are not required to leave Thailand unless you want to during that first year.

Since your stay will be over 90 days however, you will need to do 90 day reporting, as everyone does who stays over 90 days continuously in Thailand.

I believe, but I may be wrong, that the first year of an O-A visa acts like a multiple entry visa.... in which you may enter and exit Thailand as many times as you wish. No restrictions on exits and re-entries.

Near the end of your first year on an O-A visa you may leave Thailand and re-enter and will receive another stamp for One more year as you re-enter Thailand.

That makes your O-A visa effectively a 2 year visa to reside in Thailand as a retiree, if used properly.

During that 2nd year , if you wish to take a holiday outside of Thailand you will need to purchase a exit re-entry permit, which will cost 1000 Baht for each single exit re-entry or 3800 Baht for multiple exit re-entries (if you wish) during the 2nd year of that O-A visa.

The exit re-entry permit during the 2nd year allows you to keep your current O-A visa valid while you take a short holiday from Thailand if you want to do that.

I believe after the 2nd year you can get an annual retirement extension from immigration, but that annual retirement extension requires having a Thai bank account of 800K Thai Baht or a monthly income of 65K Thai Baht monthly.

The big advantage of an O-A retirement visa over a non O visa for retirement is that a O-A, although it is initially more expense to get, it basically gives you two years of stay in Thailand once you arrive at minimal cost.

It's especially good if you are on a retirement pension from your home country, because it gives you two years to get settled in Thailand as a retiree to transition to living in Thailand and setting yourself up in Thailand.

• Like 1

A O-A visa is really designed for people who want to live in Thailand and retire here.

That's why it is available for people over 50 years of age....the Thai "retirement" age.

If you have an O-a visa when you firs enter Thailand you will get stamped on arrival with a "permitted to stay" stamp of one year from your date of entry.

You are not required to leave Thailand unless you want to during that first year.

Since your stay will be over 90 days however, you will need to do 90 day reporting, as everyone does who stays over 90 days continuously in Thailand.

I believe, but I may be wrong, that the first year of an O-A visa acts like a multiple entry visa.... in which you may enter and exit Thailand as many times as you wish. No restrictions on exits and re-entries.

Near the end of your first year on an O-A visa you may leave Thailand and re-enter and will receive another stamp for One more year as you re-enter Thailand.

That makes your O-A visa effectively a 2 year visa to reside in Thailand as a retiree, if used properly.

During that 2nd year , if you wish to take a holiday outside of Thailand you will need to purchase a exit re-entry permit, which will cost 1000 Baht for each single exit re-entry or 3800 Baht for multiple exit re-entries (if you wish) during the 2nd year of that O-A visa.

The exit re-entry permit during the 2nd year allows you to keep your current O-A visa valid while you take a short holiday from Thailand if you want to do that.

I believe after the 2nd year you can get an annual retirement extension from immigration, but that annual retirement extension requires having a Thai bank account of 800K Thai Baht or a monthly income of 65K Thai Baht monthly.

The big advantage of an O-A retirement visa over a non O visa for retirement is that a O-A, although it is initially more expense to get, it basically gives you two years of stay in Thailand once you arrive at minimal cost.

It's especially good if you are on a retirement pension from your home country, because it gives you two years to get settled in Thailand as a retiree to transition to living in Thailand and setting yourself up in Thailand.

This is a very well described account of the O-A visa. Thank you Farang.

That seems to explain all the little misunderstandings in this discussion about re-entry permits and seasoning of deposits.

Regarding the Hon. Consulates I was referring to "Non-O"s, we got it mixed up here. Well done!

IMA_FARANG

You say this which is both incorrect and misleading........

"The exit re-entry permit during the 2nd year allows you to keep your current O-A visa valid "

If a person is in their second year of stay the O/A visa , which has a validity of 12 months from the date of issue, would have expired.

A re entry permit protects a "permission to stay date" it does not resurrect an expired visa!

IMA-FARANG. Spot on. On side note to anyone applying for O-A in Australia. I applied last year. I sort advice specifically about "the copies and original application need to be BOUND" Also asked about the medical from Camberra consulate. They said ....download form take to doctor and he sign.

My application rejected....reasons given on sticky note on my returned application were.

1. Documents NOT BOUND.

2. Medical did not have doctor or clinic stamp.

I did not have time to resubmit. Also would need to go back to JP.

If Thai consulates were a business that had a service rating they would be out of business. Completely unaccountable.

Edited by jacksam