What's this visa called: 3 months renewable for 1 year (must cross border)

I just got back to the US and want a Thai visa good for a year: you get a 3 month visa but can use it for multiple entries up to a year (but you must cross a border every 3 months).

Requirements are something like:

airline ticket

proof of sufficient income (pension and/or bank statements)

photos

perhaps proof of being over 50.

**This isn't an 0-A type retirement visa where you must deposit 800,000B in a Thai bank or show sufficient funds in your home bank, prove you have no criminal record, and have a clean bill of health.

I think it's simply called "Non Immigrant, Type 0, multiple entry.". I've gotten several in Germany but can't remember what the damned thing is called. I'm in NYC now and want to give the consulate in NYC a call to see if they offer it, but I need the official name for it.

thanks!

If the OP has qualified for several of these 'damn things' before in Germany, then take a look at the old ones and the type and number of permitted entries is stamped on it. I think the term 'Non-O, multiple entry visa' is a close as it gets.

Anyway, all the information on what documentation is needed to get a Non-O multi-entry visa from the NYC Consulate is here

• Like 1

In the past (and still there are occasional reports) Thai consulates in Germany were easy to issue non-immigrant visa, even multi-entry to to those that normally would not qualify.

I think that in NY they will want to only issue tourist or non-imm. single-entry on the basis of being older than 50. Of course the OP can also try with an honorary consul which list can be found in many threads here.

That would be a Non-O M ("O" as in "Other purposes"), as opposed to a Non-O-A for retirement.

It's what I get issued in Germany on basis of being on a state pension aged 43 with no hassle at all.

The 800k THB provision does not seem to apply if you prove sufficient reliable income

from that (whatever sufficient means here) and I never got asked for a plane ticket.

The "one year" applies to entering Thailand and getting stamped by immigration, so you could live in Thailand for almost 15 months if you time it right,

and it's actually not 3 months for the border-runs but 90 days.

• Like 2

That would be a Non-O M ("O" as in "Other purposes"), as opposed to a Non-O-A for retirement.

It's what I get issued in Germany on basis of being on a state pension aged 43 with no hassle at all.

The 800k THB provision does not seem to apply if you prove sufficient reliable income

from that (whatever sufficient means here) and I never got asked for a plane ticket.

The "one year" applies to entering Thailand and getting stamped by immigration, so you could live in Thailand for almost 15 months if you time it right,

" ... and it's actually not 3 months for the border-runs but 90 days."

Yes, something that is often over-looked when someone is calculating his stay. And the first day in the country is day one although again some people want to try to add 90 more days onto their arrival date, which would then (incorrectly) make their stay 91 days.

Quite a few panicky posts on TV when the light finally dawns and the poster realizes that he's booked a flight out that leaves after his permission or extension has already expired.

Quite a few panicky posts on TV when the light finally dawns and the poster realizes that he's booked a flight out that leaves after his permission or extension has already expired.

I did that once, no real panic, went along to immigration and asked for a 3 day extension. The IO was gobsmacked, why did I want to pay 1900 baht when it was cheaper to overstay. She gave me 5 days, not that it made any difference.

is there any updated about the Mae Sai boarder being closed .?does anyone knows whats going on there yet,,just want to know ,thanks -)

It is open. It has not been closed for a long time now. Not sure where you are getting your info from.

I don't know. If under 50, (you were 43), I wouldn't think this normally would have been allowed.

whistling.gif What you are referring to is a Non immigrant O (multi-entry) visa.

I obtained one in Hull, England in October 2010. I am a U.S. citizen, with a U.S. passport, but at that time it was still possible for me to obtain that visa in Hull.

Each entry is for 90 days, the visa has a life of 1 year. and the visa is stamped on issue with a entry count of M for Multiple entries.

At that time it was often used for those over 50 who came to Thailand to retire here.

By using the multiple entries correctly you could stretch that 1 year visa to 15 months if you timed your last 90 day entry just before the visa expired.

Then if you had the required funds you could apply for an annual extension renewable every year to allow you to remain in Thailand indefinitely.

That type of visa has been basically replaced by the "retirement visa" an O-A retirement visa now in many countries for those over 50 who wish to come to Thailand to retire.

Some Thai consulates will still issue that visa for those married to a Thai wife but now almost all Thai consulates want documented proof of such a marriage or that the applicant has a legal Thai family or children living in Thailand before they issue that visa any more.

The "rules" have changed now.

That visa has become very hard to qualify for in many countries.... the "norm" for retirement now for those over 50 is now the O-A 'retirement visa".

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I don't know. If under 50, (you were 43), I wouldn't think this normally would have been allowed.

i have been using them for the last 9 years. i have a thai child. ideal for me as i dont work in thailand per se, but do travel the reigion regularly for business, with this i come and go as i please for up to 15 months.