Authentic Thai Cheap Eats

stament

I like eating authentic thai food in the cheap thai style places as opposed to places like Good View, etc.

I googled this forum and there was an old thread that had been archived so I thought I'd start a new thread.

As these places very often don't have a name, members will need to be very precise in their location details.

I know of one place for noodles can't recall the name but it is well known it's at Plaza89 Nong Hoi, about 40 baht. Another good one is the som tam place on the road in Santitham that leads up to the corner of the new Toyota dealer on the super highway near Grand View Hotel. Both are very popular with Thais which is always a good sign!

Contributions most welcome as are photos ;-)

"Another good one is the som tam place on the road in Santitham that leads up to the corner of the new Toyota dealer on the super highway near Grand View Hotel. Both are very popular with Thais which is always a good sign!"

Som Tam Udon ........ some really great food (I like the pork ribs for 50bht) and a great place to watch older Thai guys kindly taking their very pretty 20(ish) daughters for lunch.

"Another good one is the som tam place on the road in Santitham that leads up to the corner of the new Toyota dealer on the super highway near Grand View Hotel. Both are very popular with Thais which is always a good sign!"

Som Tam Udon ........ some really great food (I like the pork ribs for 50bht) and a great place to watch older Thai guys kindly taking their very pretty 20(ish) daughters for lunch.

Som Tam Udon, high volume, fast service, delishious BBQ, but the view ...wub.png

This place on Ratchawong, a few doors down from Kessum Market is suppose to be 1 of three famous noodle shops in 'Chiang Mai. 40 THB and includes a pitcher of tea w/ice. A restaurant. off the sidewalk. It's so Thai; it's kind of Chinese.

post-227967-0-54018900-1440240847_thumb.

Udon Cafe...Sansai... about one kilometer past sausage king, on the left, as you go North.

Best quality for the price.

Thai and Isaan food...and a few western style dishes.

just opened. Small menu for now... informal and a bit smallish, but cozy.

Edited by slipperylobster

It does seem that, like with Mexican food, the cheaper places are more authentic, spicier, and tend to be where the natives are. They aren't all the same, though. Suthep Rd. is a goldmine for cheap eats, and there is still a lot of novelty in being a farang up here, best eye candy this side of Hong Kong, too. But, I only eat at about 3 of the fifty places, and they tend to be very busy, while there can be a place right next to it, that is almost empty. As for the noodle stands, some don't have rice noodles, some don't have pureed peppers (only crushed), some only have the "balls," and some are just plain dirty.

What's really surprising is that the "cheap charlie choir" hasn't started singing in this thread. In reality, there is a lot more to it than the cost. Double the price, with half the flavor in the backpacker ghettos? No thanks.

Cheap authentic Thai food in Chiangmai!

Just about everywhere.

I realise that but I was asking for people's favourites. Yes I can eat for 40baht in lots of places and yes it's authentic but the taste does vary so I prefer place A to say place B. Take the food courts or tannin market for example, cheap and authentic but not the best so I tend to avoid them most of the time.

It's very easy to mock people on here, better to actually provide some constructive feedback with some suggestions.

To be honest your response is exactly the sort of response I thought I'd get, after all there is always some smart aleck. I think these sort of posts are why some people I've spoken to avoid reading thaivisa,

Now I'm going to a five star hotel for dinner as I like to mix it up a bit. Are there many of them in CM?

It does seem that, like with Mexican food, the cheaper places are more authentic, spicier, and tend to be where the natives are. They aren't all the same, though. Suthep Rd. is a goldmine for cheap eats, and there is still a lot of novelty in being a farang up here, best eye candy this side of Hong Kong, too. But, I only eat at about 3 of the fifty places, and they tend to be very busy, while there can be a place right next to it, that is almost empty. As for the noodle stands, some don't have rice noodles, some don't have pureed peppers (only crushed), some only have the "balls," and some are just plain dirty.

What's really surprising is that the "cheap charlie choir" hasn't started singing in this thread. In reality, there is a lot more to it than the cost. Double the price, with half the flavor in the backpacker ghettos? No thanks.

Thanks for the tip on the location, don't go to that part of town so will have to go a looking.

I've hear the North Gate area outside of the Moat referred to as the best night food market in the world.

You mean Cheung Phuek gate? If so, eaten there a few times but not for a few years, certainly there's enough traffic there in the evening stopping and eating.

Will give it another go when I'm back there though now I live in Nong Hoi area so a bit of a pain to get to, and we have kids so won't be a regular place. Not keen on just parking my car in the middle of the road like Thais do, so guess will have to swing round there on my bike as no real parking near there.

I've hear the North Gate area outside of the Moat referred to as the best night food market in the world.

You mean Cheung Phuek gate? If so, eaten there a few times but not for a few years, certainly there's enough traffic there in the evening stopping and eating.

Will give it another go when I'm back there though now I live in Nong Hoi area so a bit of a pain to get to, and we have kids so won't be a regular place. Not keen on just parking my car in the middle of the road like Thais do, so guess will have to swing round there on my bike as no real parking near there.

Chang Phuek at night has lousy food. Mostly for tourists. It's filthy and if you look around you will see as many as 50 rats everywhere. You will see them even walking on the dishes that are drying. Horrible.

Pratu Chiang Mai is a step up - a little. The only "street food" place I've eaten at in many years is the place run by the Muslim ladies.

Agree Chang Phuek is a real eyesore and food is nothing special. Chiang Mai gate is a little better but not by much. There is a place opposite the 24 hour Jok place on the Northern side inner moat. Very good Thai food. One of my favorites

Just about everywhere.

I realise that but I was asking for people's favourites. Yes I can eat for 40baht in lots of places and yes it's authentic but the taste does vary so I prefer place A to say place B. Take the food courts or tannin market for example, cheap and authentic but not the best so I tend to avoid them most of the time.

It's very easy to mock people on here, better to actually provide some constructive feedback with some suggestions.

To be honest your response is exactly the sort of response I thought I'd get, after all there is always some smart aleck. I think these sort of posts are why some people I've spoken to avoid reading thaivisa,

Now I'm going to a five star hotel for dinner as I like to mix it up a bit. Are there many of them in CM?

There you go I met your expectations. Sorry to offend but it is what it is. There are so many good cheap authentic Thai outlets in Chiang Mai on every street, mall you name it, far too many to mention. If there are locals frequenting them invariably it's the place to go, but you knew that I guess.

Food courts tend to be our favourites, huge choice,authentic,generally good and cheap.

5 star hotels, I am sure there is a thread or 10.

And was my most post really so offensive as to put put people off reading Thai Visa?

Edited by Thailand

I will check it out CMKiwi, I don't like jok, what sort of food is it or just a mix?

He may mean Jok Somphet, which is one of the very few places open 24 hours. But don't be fooled by the name (I don't like jok either). They have roasted chicken and fish (baked in the oven), Hinlay, fried noodles, mee krob, and other Thai dishes. You can choose rice, noodles, or salad to accompany your meal. They also have dim sun. They serve very large portions.

IMO this is one of the best restaurants and it has stood the test of time, been there for decades and is always packed with people.

Edited by elektrified

Just about everywhere.

There you go I met your expectations. Sorry to offend but it is what it is. There are so many good cheap authentic Thai outlets in Chiang Mai on every street, mall you name it, far too many to mention. If there are locals frequenting them invariably it's the place to go, but you knew that I guess.

Food courts tend to be our favourites, huge choice,authentic,generally good and cheap.

5 star hotels, I am sure there is a thread or 10.

And was my most post really so offensive as to put put people off reading Thai Visa?

Not hugely offensive no, more annoying I'd say. As for others I have spoken to a few people who say they avoid TV as too many people get into arguments etc, which I can understand or get unhelpful responses, which is a great shame as I think it's a wonderful resource and have been given great advice from members many a time on here, particularly around visas.

I don't think your response really added anything to the thread though did it?

Be a little wary of cheap and flavourful food, especially in food courts, as it usually contains high doses of sugar and MSG which may cause insomnia and insatiable thirst among other symptoms.

We seek out the restaurants, like Hello Solao, where you'll pay a tad more (~80 or 90 bt per dish), but it's cooked fresh and naturally tasty. The Thai lady owner lived and worked in USA for many years and runs a good clean restaurant. Isaan and Bangkok menu items mainly.

There is an Isaan restaurant opposite the entry of Baan Nai Fun on canal road. Always busy and when I eat there I'm the only non-Thai. I like the food, specially the charcoal grilled pork neck.

It's called P'Goon. The food is great, the place is a bit of a dump, though.

Edited by LarryBird

This used to be the case... But lately the area has been overrun by Chinese tourists... Mainly because an interprising lady vendor that sells pork over rice has made herself famous on the Chinese Internet with a cowboy hat...

post-23568-0-07993500-1440319958_thumb.j

Edited by sfokevin

I will get flamed here but one of our favorite cheap Thai food places is the Tesco food court at Kamtiem... Cheap, clean, airconditioned chairs with seat backs and a beautiful view of Doi Suthep

One of the better food courts - moo palow or hoy tod my usual favourites.

This used to be the case... But lately the area has been overrun by Chinese tourists... Mainly because an interprising lady vendor that sells pork over rice has made herself famous on the Chinese Internet with a cowboy hat...

Like I said, for tourists...... I guess the Chinese tourists don't mind all the rats.bah.gif The same lady sells the same stuff at KSK food court and Airport Plaza food court. Not very good IMO. The best is supplied by Khamoo Chiang Dao.