Golden Bar - Nana Hotel Closing

luap

I started this topic to inform some members that the bar is closing, reason, because it is happening.

My good friend Bee was bar manger for 9 years, last Saturday 15th, he received his monthly wage and told to finish that day.

I personally enjoy the bar, easy to meet my friends when they arrive in bkk and when I frequent bkk from the village, usually for 4 days a month.

One reason I haven't posted much on Thaivisa is,the A'holes, that have no friends or have their wife or gf hanging out of their **** have no real value of life.(Please don't take offence)

The Golden Bar has always been a great meeting place, especially for Aussies. Over the years I have meet many people who are still friends.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nana Hotel is going to be gutted, completely refitted and rebranded as Hard Rock Hotel. Prices will be 5 times higher, but Nana Plaza will still be just across the road.

Are you speculating on that notion , throwing out a wild guess? Or do you actually have some facts on that subject?

Facts. BTW, Nana Plaza will be closing in 2016. It is to be torn down and a shopping mall erected on the site.

Total nonsense. Why would a place that is being torn down be issuing new leases to tenants and why would developers be interested in buying a place that is in that situation?

Hey Sviss Geez, can you verify that the owners of the NEP are issuing new leases to tennants. Perhaps the leases only last a year, expiring in 2016 when it closes. Just asking if you can back up what you are saying. You are likely to know this sort of thing if you run a Bar at NEP, (likely) or, (less likely) you know the property owners....No offence intended, just want to make TV a better place by weeding out the nonsense talkers.

Edited by clearmirror

I started this topic to inform some members that the bar is closing, reason, because it is happening.

My good friend Bee was bar manger for 9 years, last Saturday 15th, he received his monthly wage and told to finish that day.

I personally enjoy the bar, easy to meet my friends when they arrive in bkk and when I frequent bkk from the village, usually for 4 days a month.

One reason I haven't posted much on Thaivisa is,the A'holes, that have no friends or have their wife or gf hanging out of their **** have no real value of life.(Please don't take offence)

The Golden Bar has always been a great meeting place, especially for Aussies. Over the years I have meet many people who are still friends.

Yep, there are loads of trollers/know it alls and haters on TV. Do not waste you time with angry responses to their insulting comments. Just ignore them.

Facts. BTW, Nana Plaza will be closing in 2016. It is to be torn down and a shopping mall erected on the site.

Total nonsense. Why would a place that is being torn down be issuing new leases to tenants and why would developers be interested in buying a place that is in that situation?

Hey Sviss Geez, can you verify that the owners of the NEP are issuing new leases to tennants. Perhaps the leases only last a year, expiring in 2016 when it closes. Just asking if you can back up what you are saying. You are likely to know this sort of thing if you run a Bar at NEP, (likely) or, (less likely) you know the property owners....No offence intended, just want to make TV a better place by weeding out the nonsense talkers.

Yes, I can verify that and, no, I don't have a bar there.

With things as grim as they are at the moment for bar owners in that place why would any of them renew their leases with the astronomical rents and key money the owners of Nana Plaza are demanding for just a few months (2016 is 5 months away).

Bear in mind also that the master lease holder group that provides leases to the individual businesses in the plaza still have a few years to run on their own lease that they paid tens of millions of USD for. The actual owners of the land and the property would be leaving themselves wide open for a massive lawsuit from the master leaseholder if they tried to evict them before the end of the lease or else pay them millions in compensation. A developer is not going to want to buy anything with that potential problem hanging over it.

I

Every time I sit on one of Golden's stools, I think to myself: "There are 10,000 guys around thie world at this moment wishing they were sitting right here."

You must be referring to inmates in prisons or the like, surely?

Surely he is!! I've walked past many times, seen the down and outs, deadbeats in their wife beaters, with a bored Thai hooker texting her next client. I felt nothing but sorrow for them, unable to hold together a relationship at home, and reduced to hiring hookers to get their spuds drained.

There'll be another place spring up, but the whole of Soi Nana needs a broom/bulldozer put through it, along with Soi Cowboy.

Coulson, I traverse Soi Nana when staying at the Ibis Hotel, about 800 meters down from Sukhumvit

Edited by F4UCorsair

Nana Hotel is going to be gutted, completely refitted and rebranded as Hard Rock Hotel. Prices will be 5 times higher, but Nana Plaza will still be just across the road.

Are you speculating on that notion , throwing out a wild guess? Or do you actually have some facts on that subject?

heh heh... You said erected.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

RENT. must have gone up SKYHIGH , Just like at NANA PLAZA - and one day they all

must close and make way for another 7 Star Development , as if there's NOT ENOUGH

high end spots . Best location for " people watching " , you can VOTE with your

wallet & feet against greedy landlord.

Edited by kg1947

Every time I sit on one of Golden's stools, I think to myself: "There are 10,000 guys around the world at this moment wishing they were sitting right here."

Not me and about 40 million other guys.....the pits of the earth, ive walked past noticing the expression of lifeless over the hill gang wallowing in there beer with bored out of there brain village girls sitting around playing with there phone a few stools down....

Some people are easily pleased the rest of us have a life.

Sat there a few times for a few beers,boring.

I

Every time I sit on one of Golden's stools, I think to myself: "There are 10,000 guys around thie world at this moment wishing they were sitting right here."

Surely he is!! I've walked past many times, seen the down and outs, deadbeats in their wife beaters, with a bored Thai hooker texting her next client. I felt nothing but sorrow for them, unable to hold together a relationship at home, and reduced to hiring hookers to get their spuds drained.

There'll be another place spring up, but the whole of Soi Nana needs a broom/bulldozer put through it, along with Soi Cowboy.

Coulson, I traverse Soi Nana when staying at the Ibis Hotel, about 800 meters down from Sukhumvit

I disagree.There will always be this sort of bar in Bangkok,so keep it semi secluded in these 2 places and the rest of us have no need to go there.Win win.As an aside,Patpong was all the rage in my day,but now you don't here anything about this street.

It will surprise many but originally Nana Plaza was to be a small shopping plaza.

A lady friend of mine opened a patchwork shop there soon after the plaza opened for business.

I don't know about the other shops but she complained about lack of trade and eventually moved to another area of Sukhumvit.

Bars and at least one French restaurant (I knew the owner) progressively replaced the shops and it became the plaza of today.

Could be that the Japanese bar on the top floor was there from the beginning.

I

Oh my!! An angry 'clean it up' crusader whose wife won't let him go to the bars any more.....

Shame really. Nice little spot. I like that so many take these chances to climb on their high horses and dip into the world of self delusion, because I bet they're all toned, bronzed young lads who have never biffed/married a bar girl.....you aren't fooling anyone....

Every time I sit on one of Golden's stools, I think to myself: "There are 10,000 guys around the world at this moment wishing they were sitting right here."

Never had the pleasure of sitting on one of their golden stools but I identify with your sentiments......sometimes I have to pinch myself to realize how blessed my life has been to have been given the chance to spend the remaining years of my life in this wonderful country.

As someone who arrived here early 90's, freshly divorced and with a bit of free cash Nana was a good place for me.

I enjoyed myself and then as now I don't give a big rat's ass what anyone thinks of me. Believe me I mean that.

To all the young heroes out there, we old guys did everything you are doing now, you didn't invent it.

Most of us oldies may look bored in your eyes, it's not boredom, its resignation to the dull life we see you young guys living trying to convince everyone including yourself that you're having fun.

I

It is a landmark of Bangkok and the place will be the worse for its demise. Feeling the way you do why do you go near the place, and why do you walk Soi 4 so "many times', and why go near Soi Cowboy. Applies to all the other smug sneerers who are happy about this. When Bangkok is finally a mix of Singapore and Warrington New Town you will really have something to celebrate.

Stickman wrote a couple of weeks ago that the hotel is moving the restaurant up a level and installing a swimming pool on the ground/first floor. Sad, and why? Don't see many hotels with a pool just off of the lobby, unless it's a resort-type place which the Nana isn't and never will be.

The master plan is that eventually there will be a mall every 2 minutes of walking distance apart.

Except there's no way to walk because streets are filled with cars and motorcycles and that 2mins takes 1h. Talk about a high-end nightmare, please also add a booze ban to it and Hell is ready to be moved into.

• Issuing new leases to steal their money
  • Prime real estate, but a bit small for anything practical - Landmark Hotel supposedly 'bought' the ppty about 14 years ago, was in litigation for ??how long?? don't know the outcome - we have had rumors of nana closing since 2000, still going strong.clap2.gif

And the already OUTRAGEOUS prices in Nana Plaza will go even higher 1zgarz5.gif

My friend lives permanently in the Nana Hotel

been in his room a few times to have a look,

the whole place is old drab and ugly like many

people there, get rid of the lot.

The whole hotel was flooded from the Roof to the Lobby one year, closed them for a whole two days, then they were back in business - Moldy carpeting squishing beneath your feet doesn't make for a romantic time for anyone.

I remember meeting lovely Pom there in my tourist days.

I remember spending 3 glorious weeks with her.

I remember coming back 3 times to see her.

i remember when she told me she had married and moved to Switzerland.....

That's life....................

It will surprise many but originally Nana Plaza was to be a small shopping plaza.

I can remember when Nana Plaza was a small shopping plaza with a few tailor shops and a very good Middle Eastern restaurant in the left back corner. The Nana and Raja hotels were just being built. In the mid-1980s a German guy opened an open air bar at the entrance and made his money selling some pretty funny cigarettes to a select group of customers. But yes, the outside bar at the Nana hotel was one of the great places on earth to watch the fall of humanity into Dante's realm.

One of the top places to ppl watch, this is if it's your thing of course lol...

Yes, it looks like things are being dismantled/re-arranged, piece by piece in and around the playground areas.

Don't care what ppl say of the area on how bad it has gotten, nothing beats that atmosphere.

Haven't the businesses there only just negotiated, signed and paid for new long term leases?

So you are very likely correct!