Golden Bar - Nana Hotel Closing

luap

When you have a huge city and a certain group of visitors who see nothing but a tiny area of it on each and every visit eventually you have to reach a conclusion.

Alcoholics, sexpats and no hopers alley that place nowadays.

And yes I do agree Nana Plaza was fun over a decade ago....but the street now if just foul.

You can judge a person and call them alcoholic, sexpat and no hopers? Wow. Just wow. sad.png

My wife ( of 12 years ) is absolutely devastated......I just told her that I am an Alcoholic, sexpat, no hoper.....facepalm.gif Then she did say she did not marry me just because I hansum gigglem.gif

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole street is a dump....why try to pretend otherwise?

I avoid it like the plague.

Similar for most of the area from Soi 4 to Terminal 21....with three or four exceptions.

Would you believe there are really human beings who eat Haggis? Sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock.

I'd rather die.

But it's all in the eye of the beholder unless one is god.

I had a picnic on the sidewalk in front on Nana Plaza at 4AM me and 4 ladies and a dozen entrees including bugs. We all sat there right on the sidewalk no chairs on bamboo mats and ate all drunk as lords. Right there in the middle of the sidewalk. Where else could you do that?

Exactly, it's a dump full of drunk bums lording it up on the immaculate pavement. Who in their right mind would want to do that?

Similar for most of the area from Soi 4 to Terminal 21....with three or four exceptions.

Would you believe there are really human beings who eat Haggis? Sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock.

I'd rather die.

I had a picnic on the sidewalk in front on Nana Plaza at 4AM me and 4 ladies and a dozen entrees including bugs. We all sat there right on the sidewalk no chairs on bamboo mats and ate all drunk as lords. Right there in the middle of the sidewalk. Where else could you do that?

Exactly, it's a dump full of drunk bums lording it up on the immaculate pavement. Who in their right mind would want to do that?

You are being sarcastic right? Or are you one of the guys writing from overseas?

I'd rather die.

You are being sarcastic right? Or are you one of the guys writing from overseas?

He was probably sitting in a comfortable bar around Thonglor. biggrin.png

Enjoy the putrid smells of Nana my friend....they should just put a fence around the place in my opinion.....

I'd rather die.

Certainly not being sarcastic, the whole of Soi 4 is a dump particularly the parts where pissheads picnic on the pavement and the odd thing is that you you seem proud to be able to brag that you did that.

I don't know why you reckon I must be overseas, I'm right here avoiding that pisshead's delight of a dump whenever possible.

Certainly not being sarcastic, the whole of Soi 4 is a dump particularly the parts where pissheads picnic on the pavement and the odd thing is that you you seem proud to be able to brag that you did that.

I don't know why you reckon I must be overseas, I'm right here avoiding that pisshead's delight of a dump whenever possible.

My comment was motivated by the fact that I look for the good in people.

He was probably sitting in a comfortable bar around Thonglor. biggrin.png

Enjoy the putrid smells of Nana my friend....they should just put a fence around the place in my opinion.....

Nana doesn't smell. I guess you've never been there. Many parts of Thailand smell bad but Nana is not one of them.

Yes, but has it closed....coffee1.gif ???

Amazing, a troller's delight thread on sexpats,scumbags, "I'm so high-so and mighty I wouldn't set foot there" Bangkok expats but we can't get an answer to this simple question......

And the guy asking has no chance of going there because he is in the Middle East. Why would he care?

Edited by lostoday

Yes, but has it closed....coffee1.gif ???

Amazing, a troller's delight thread on sexpats,scumbags, "I'm so high-so and mighty I wouldn't set foot there" Bangkok expats but we can't get an answer to this simple question......

And the guy asking has no chance of going there because he is in the Middle East. Why would he care?

Because when he is in BKK he enjoys the place? Dohhhhhh !!!!facepalm.gif

Well, when you get to town stop by and see. There are hundreds of other bars in the area that are exactly the same so what the heck is the difference?

Well, when you get to town stop by and see. There are hundreds of other bars in the area that are exactly the same so what the heck is the difference?

Such a simple question that instead of a simple answer we get simpletons who'd rather trash posters about being sexpats,losers,whatever else as opposed to just saying "yes, it's still there". Thanks for nothing.

It's different because it's nostalgic, if you don't understand then yes, go to that lame Man U bar across the street.

Such a simple question that instead of a simple answer we get simpletons who'd rather trash posters about being sexpats,losers,whatever else as opposed to just saying "yes, it's still there". Thanks for nothing.

It's different because it's nostalgic, if you don't understand then yes, go to that lame Man U bar across the street.

I lived in the area for years and only went there a couple of times. I liked the Cat House because of the all you could drink special from 6 t0 9. When that went out of business I moved my trade to a different area of the city.

> Such a simple question that instead of a simple answer we get simpletons who'd rather trash posters about being sexpats, losers, whatever

IT is a pity that, while most people here are friendly, kind and helpful, there is always the 10% of idiot who just want to argue, leave rude posts and cause problems.

Such is life.

Its a dying or dead. I'm sure you can add Patpong to the RIP list.

Nana died around 2005 and all of Pattaya a few years later at the latest.

Only clueless dinosaurs visit these mafia clip joints any more. The brighter of you have found Internet dating and the genius among us saw the whole thing for what it was and got married.

No suprise that the only way most of you can get laid is to fly half way round the world.

You can add Thermae1, Thermae2 and Bucksin Joe's - three best joints in BKK ever.

I often think, why doesn't he government just shut these rackets down? Skeezy mongers, gone. Problem solved.

These joints are long done. Anyone still rocking up here deserves what they get. Overpriced drinks, sour princesses, danger, herpes and very possibly hiv.

100 Baht a pint in happy hour aint bad

I like the whole area from soi 4 to T21. A warren of bars and 'sleazy' joints that are fun to visit. Maybe its the history (20 years of enjoying these bars), but I enjoy the experience: soi Nana, Soi Arab, Soi5 , Soi 8, Soi 7/1, soi 11, soi 13 and The Street itself. I don't go there every night or even every week, but when I do go I love it - far more so than the company of the pretentious <deleted> (Farang and Thai) that inhabit the wine bars of Thonglor. Lower Sukhumvit is raw and rough about the edges. Normally you are a discerning chap, Smokie, but on this occasion, I demur!

Well I guess familiarity has bred contempt for me....months of walking past daily and the area leaves you jaded.

I am guessing those in love with the place visit for a week at a time max.

Do you actually live in BKK? I always assumed you lived in Scotland.

If you've been walking past Nana Plaza "for months" I guess you live in Soi 4. I would never choose to live around there.

I used to live near Ekkamai. It's much nicer.

After I got bored of Ekkamai I rented a beautiful house near Don Muang. It only cost about 8-9K p/m.

Thanks to lamyai13 for answering my( what I thought was) simple questionthumbsup.gif

Thanks also to Grumpyoldman, who understands where I am coming from. thumbsup.gif

I will not feed the trolls by explaining why I wanted to know, but as I said earlier, different strokes for different folks.

There are some bars along the soi I would not p**s on if they were on fire, but I do not condemn other posters who think they are ok.

Finally, I hope you are all safe and well in the downpours and floods.

Stay safe.....everyone...wai.gifsmile.png

Well I guess familiarity has bred contempt for me....months of walking past daily and the area leaves you jaded.

Do you actually live in BKK? I always assumed you lived in Scotland.

If you've been walking past Nana Plaza "for months" I guess you live in Soi 4. I would never choose to live around there.

I used to live near Ekkamai. It's much nicer.

After I got bored of Ekkamai I rented a beautiful house near Don Muang. It only cost about 8-9K p/m.

50/50....which gives me ample time to be wandering past the Soi4-19 area. As I said before there are some good places there and I do go there occasionally.

Soi 4 itself I would place similar to living in Berwick St in London.....but worse.

Understood and your second sentence is spot on.

dour·er, dour·est

1. Marked by sternness or harshness; forbidding: a dour, self-sacrificing life.
2. Silently ill-humored; gloomy: the proverbially dour ####.
3. Sternly obstinate; unyielding: a dour determination.
cheesy.gif

There were guys who lived at the Nana Hotel. There was the Golden bar outside for people watching or the lobby in the morning even a picnic area outside at night. The morning was fun. The guys staggered to the "all you can eat breakfast" after a night across the street and late night at the disco in the hotel. The disco used to search you at the door and even had a metal detecting wand.

The guys who lived at the hotel were old duffers who to my knowledge didn't fool around much but enjoyed watching and comment on the constant flow of new punters from all corners of the world. Some had been there (or close by) since the early 1960's.

Everything one needed was in easy walking distance. The front desk had a safety deposit box that saved my neck on numerous occasions after being drugged across the street. I have a lot of non memories as well as memories of the area. The first time I got drugged in Thailand was around there somewhere (don't remember if it was the Golden bar or across the street). Ah what a life.

Well I don't know

Why I came here tonight

I got the feeling that

Something ain't right

I'm so scared in case

I fall off my chair

And I'm wondering

How I'll get down the stairs

Clowns to the left of me

Jokers to the right

post-232807-0-63811400-1444025030_thumb.

post-232807-0-84304700-1444025043_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

There were guys who lived at the Nana Hotel. There was the Golden bar outside for people watching or the lobby in the morning even a picnic area outside at night. The morning was fun. The guys staggered to the "all you can eat breakfast" after a night across the street and late night at the disco in the hotel. The disco used to search you at the door and even had a metal detecting wand.

The guys who lived at the hotel were old duffers who to my knowledge didn't fool around much but enjoyed watching and comment on the constant flow of new punters from all corners of the world. Some had been there (or close by) since the early 1960's.

Everything one needed was in easy walking distance. The front desk had a safety deposit box that saved my neck on numerous occasions after being drugged across the street. I have a lot of non memories as well as memories of the area. The first time I got drugged in Thailand was around there somewhere (don't remember if it was the Golden bar or across the street). Ah what a life.

Sounds to me as though nostalgia is getting the better of you. Nana Hotel and NEP were only ever dumps.

Do you remember Soi Zero / Buckskin Joe Village?

Edited by Fabricus

Golden Bar is indeed closed. Last breakfast served at the Nana Hotel coffee shop this morning. It will be moving to the 4th floor tomorrow. I suspect they are going to bust through and create a bigger space fronting Soi 4 and NEP. Time marches on...

SL

I'd rather die.

Or a better question...why would you want to?