Greg Louganis on a Wheaties Box?

JLCrab

I predict they won't do it, though I hope I'm wrong.

Their cereals are mostly aimed at kids and the right wing will launch a boycott Wheaties movement over this.

They could do a limited release in some progressive cities so "collectors" could buy it, but that would correctly be seen as cynical tokenism.

Ultimately, they're a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line.

They also have a convenient excuse ... it's too late, sorry we didn't do it back then.

Next ...

• 9 months later...

I predict they won't do it, though I hope I'm wrong.

Their cereals are mostly aimed at kids and the right wing will launch a boycott Wheaties movement over this.

They could do a limited release in some progressive cities so "collectors" could buy it, but that would correctly be seen as cynical tokenism.

Ultimately, they're a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line.

They also have a convenient excuse ... it's too late, sorry we didn't do it back then.

Next ...

Ne-e-e-x-t? OK

Greg-Louganis-Wheaties.jpg

Edited by JLCrab

Honour?

He seems to think so:

"[it's] so incredible to be honored with the likes of Edwin Moses — we were in our first Olympic games in 1976 together," Louganis told NPR's All Things Considered. " ...

As for Louganis, he says that he appreciates the honor more now than he would have in the 1980s.

"Back in '95, I wasn't expected to live very long because we thought of HIV-AIDS as a death sentence, so to be here today, now 56, the box means so much more to me than it would have then because I feel like I'm being embraced as a whole person, not just for my athletic achievements."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/05/473107455/better-late-than-never-olympic-champion-greg-louganis-gets-his-wheaties-box

Edited by JLCrab