Man Dropped Bag into Water Night Before Sathorn Pier Blast

Lite Beer

Man Dropped Bag into Water Night Before Sathorn Pier Blast

By Khaosod Eng.

14403155831440315698l.jpg

Low quality CCTV footage shows a man drop a plastic bag into the water less than a half hour after Monday night's deadly blast, where less than 16 hours later a blast occurred.

BANGKOK — Less than 30 minutes after a bomb exploded Monday night at the Erawan Shrine, a man dropped a bag into the water next to a footbridge near Sathorn Pier that could have been the device which exploded harmlessly the next afternoon.

Twenty-six minutes after the first bomb went off, a security camera captured a man carrying a plastic bag onto the footbridge underneath Saphan Taksin at 7:21 pm on Monday, less than 16 hours before an explosion in the water there sent a throng of people scrambling – but caused no injuries.

Police haven’t publicly commented on the video, which suggests a cause other than police claims someone threw it down from a bridge passing over the Chao Phraya River. As recently as Thursday, investigators were simulating such a cause by throwing bricks from Saphan Taksin down toward the footbridge, which connects to a pier on the river frequented by tourists.

The video was posted to the CSI LA Facebook group, the administrator of which claimed it was furnished to him by police. CSI LA is a community of amateur keyboard sleuths which came together during 2014’s agonizing Koh Tao murder investigations to crowdsource information.

Prime Minister gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday the Sathorn and Erawan Shrine bombings were carried out by the same group of people.

“I think it’s a network. It’s connected – Erawan Shrine and Sathorn Bridge,” he said without elaborating. “They have their targets. I’d like to warn them to surrender themselves.”

In the footage, a man in a blue shirt wearing a messenger bag walks onto the footbridge carrying what appears to be a plastic bag of some weight. As foot traffic continues behind him over the busy bridge, he sets the bag down at its edge, pulls out his phone and uses it for awhile, appearing to speak into it for some moments. He puts the phone away, then appears to receive an incoming call.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440315583

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Less than 30 minutes after a bomb exploded Monday night at the Erawan Shrine, a man dropped a bag into the water next to a footbridge near Sathorn Pier that could have been the device which exploded harmlessly the next afternoon."

How in the world could this sentence be written? Originally we were told he kicked it over into the water. Even more worrying is originally we were told the bomb the next day was thrown and bounced off something before landing in the water and exploding. So how in the world could it have been the same bomb as the day before??

So he probably carried both bombs to Erawan. left one there, blew it up, then dropped another under the pier and blew it up the next day?

How far is it from the shrine to the pier?

Not far, you could make it in 26minutes easily

By their wearing different clothes.... That makes it a bit tricky, I would bet is more than one guy.... Maybe even talking to each other on the cell phones...

It looks to me like the second bomb was being discarded. If so, it may have been a back-up in case something went wrong with the first one. Enough time lapsed between the detonation of the first bomb and the ditching of the second for it to have been known that bomb one was successful. If indeed it was such a back-up, then both bombs timers must have been set by mobile phone. Two inferences: (1) the objective was to cause just one serious event; and (2) the bomb makers and masterminds were skilled and knew precisely what they were doing. Just my penny's worth.

It looks to me like the second bomb was being discarded. If so, it may have been a back-up in case something went wrong with the first one. Enough time lapsed between the detonation of the first bomb and the ditching of the second for it to have been known that bomb one was successful. If indeed it was such a back-up, then both bombs timers must have been set by mobile phone. Two inferences: (1) the objective was to cause just one serious event; and (2) the bomb makers and masterminds were skilled and knew precisely what they were doing. Just my penny's worth.

But why have it timed for 16 hours later when detonation sooner would be better if discarding it? Did they hope it would float into a busier area? What are the currents like there? It is all quite odd but I would bet there was nefarious intent there. Lots of more private places to discard it.

But why have it timed for 16 hours later when detonation sooner would be better if discarding it? Did they hope it would float into a busier area? What are the currents like there? It is all quite odd but I would bet there was nefarious intent there. Lots of more private places to discard it.

nah... it was 30 minutes after the first bomb went off, police were probably scrambling and the guy was probably scared to get caught in a police check, so he needed to get rid of it quickly.

A bomb is heavy and doesn't float.

Detonation time... probably set by him with his phablet before dropping the bomb into the water, ti give ample time to leave the area.

Don't have to be Einstein to figure out this is the likely culprit ... whistling.gif

people don't just go around dropping bags into the water ...

It probably was him..

But this is Thailand and people do go around dropping plastic bags.......everywhere.

You have not noticed yet?

post-147745-0-62699700-1440368633_thumb.o

BTW, The police just told the malls to get better quality CCTV cams.

It looks like the police should tke their own advice.

Maybe they can buy some good CCTV cams...at the Mall?

Yes, it seems that way.

I guess the second guy was on his way to plant the second bomb at a nearby place, for example near the waiting queue to board the asiatique shuttle boat, usually full of Chinese.

One thing I hope the authorities are doing is searching the phone logs of pylons at Erawan and those at Sathorn with the hope to discover a common number.

I wonder if they have the means to tie a LINE/VIBER/Whatsapp/Wechat/etc. account to a phone and find out if an account at Erawan and another at Sathorn were both in contact with a third account? Probably not...

"As recently as Thursday, investigators were simulating such a cause by throwing bricks from Saphan Taksin down toward the footbridge, which connects to a pier on the river frequented by tourists."

Wonder how that went down with the tourists crossing the footbridge at the time.

Don't have to be Einstein to figure out this is the likely culprit ... whistling.gif

people don't just go around dropping bags into the water ...

Unfortunately with the high cost of having their rubbish taken away, many people do indeed dump it in rivers, countryside, in other people's bins and on mountains etc.,(Not saying that's what was happening in this instance) just a general overview. Looks like a lady being "ringed" out in the picture, not that that makes much difference.

Edited by dotpoom

In The old days, that particular area of Sathorn was a well known area for Arabs to spend the Ramadan.....

Anyways the Guy's body language hints towards a Thai National for the bridge guy. Even walks a bit on the Kathoey side....but could be attributed to the heavy bag. Definitely a heavy bag for him to carry.

Edited by AlQaholic

In both videos, the alleged bombers are very busy with their phones.

95% of the denizens of Bkk are very busy on their phones.....................wink.png

Yes, and this makes using the phone a good cover, a semblance of normal activity. So maybe it is nothing but a ruse.

But it might mean they were actually using their phones as part of the operation. Meaning there are clues to be had. I don't think while planting a bomb most people would be updating Facebook, or snap chat. I would imagine at that point they would be totally focused on their goal.

I do not think this operation is particularly professional. The know-how to make the bombs can be picked up from the internet. A School kid with normal intelligence could pull it off if they where cold blooded enough.

I my opinion, a professional team would not have been seen on CCTV, and if they where seen, their appearance would certainly have been changed frequently to make it impossible to track them.

I mean what kind of normal person would not consider the CCTV cameras in planning a hit like this? It hints towards the possibility that they actually wanted to be seen.

Edited by AlQaholic

Fact 1 - anything could have been inside the bag.

Fact 2 - they don't have a clue who did it or they know but the truth will lose them more face than to let the bombers get away.

Fact 3 - Thailand have enough money to increase civil servants pay by 3 times the inflation rate and plan to buy 3 subs for B 30 bn plus but they don't have money to buy equipment needed to fight crime.

Fact 4 - the dear great leader didn't make the time to visit the victims in hospital.

Fact 5 - the pride of the government is getting in the way of catching the bomber(s), why not ask the US to send a team in to help catching these guys.

Fact 6 - although this was a national tradegy, hundreds of people die in the south each year but the BKK people never produce an outcry like this one - are the lives of people in BKK worth more than in the south ?