Prom Immigration: Some Realism, Please

Greenside

Have to get my Retirement Extension processed tomorrow and have it ready by 4.00 . Since David's thread degenerated into a slanging match about postal services, could someone with some very recent experience of the situation at Promenada kindly give me a realistic idea of what time of the morning to show up. I don't need to be first but would like to get it done in the morning.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

5am to get the queue. The chance to get it back by 4pm will depend if the officers there to sign. There is no way to confirm this, and as many have stated it can be as late as 6pm before you get the passport back. Even if you use an agent this will be the same as you are waiting on the signature from the boss.

Hi,

5am to get the queue. The chance to get it back by 4pm will depend if the officers there to sign. There is no way to confirm this, and as many have stated it can be as late as 6pm before you get the passport back. Even if you use an agent this will be the same as you are waiting on the signature from the boss.

If one were using an agent, and if all of the paperwork was handed in and accepted, why wouldn't it be the agent waiting for the passport to be signed by the boss?

Hi,

If one were using an agent, and if all of the paperwork was handed in and accepted, why wouldn't it be the agent waiting for the passport to be signed by the boss?

It would be the agent waiting, but please read his question they wanted to know if he could get it back by 4.00.

As far as I know you've still got to actually be there at some point. The form says pretty unequivocally "In Person". All the paperwork is done and in order so it's not like I need any help - I guess it looks like a really early start (instead of just early).

The best scenario is go early. 05:00. Hopefully this will give you an early number and you applicaion be made and accepted at 08:30 to 10:00. Then you go home or do somrthing else until about 16:00ish when you return hopefully to just pick up your pp. Its rubbish but thats as good as it gets unless you throw some money at it and use an agent.

Hi,

It would be the agent waiting, but please read his question they wanted to know if he could get it back by 4.00.

Thank you for answering the question. I had no difficulty reading the OP, thank you.....could be a lot of reasons he wanted to "have it back" by 4:00 pm (he has another appointment, for example.) Doesn't necessarily mean he needed to use the passport itself.

FWIW Greenside I would simply hand the issue to Assist Thai Visa and let them take care of it, my last retirement visa extension through them was the quickest smoothest ever. And yes, you do have to attend the Immigration office in person but only for five or ten minutes, far better than spending the whole day at Promenada waiting.

I think the way things are that anyone on a retirement visa who is also married to a Thai National should seriously consider changing to a marriage extension. Ok; there are some differences in the paperwork etc and a few photo's needed but now the old office is nowhere near as crowded it is a lot simpler to get things done there.

I think the way things are that anyone on a retirement visa who is also married to a Thai National should seriously consider changing to a marriage extension. Ok; there are some differences in the paperwork etc and a few photo's needed but now the old office is nowhere near as crowded it is a lot simpler to get things done there.

Weren't immigrtion "encouraging" married retirees to go the "retired" extension way? facepalm.gif

That's what I did.

I have been very fortunate, I've managed to get a queue online appointment every year since it was introduced. I have one for September, if they are gone for good I'll be off to see Rhys at Assist Thai visa, where I already get my 90 day reports done. As electrified said, not a chance in hell I'm sitting there all day.

Weren't immigrtion "encouraging" married retirees to go the "retired" extension way? facepalm.gif

That's what I did.

You might be right but i've been on marriage extensions for six years and nobody there has ever tried to encourage me to swap to a retirement visa....never a word.

Hi,

I used an agent.. Now I' wish I had saved the 5500baht. I can fill out the TM7 and make copies myself. Having to wait until 5-6pm to get the passport back or make a THIRD trip to pick it up? No thanks. Next year I'll check-out the agent next to immigration.

Is it just Chiang Mai where the chaos at Immigration is occurring,

or is it happening at other offices around the country,the delays

seem to be that the head official is not there to sign off on the

processed paper work..

regards worgeordie

Firstly they,trust me, don't like that course of action , secondly TIT all might change in a few months and you are back to square one.

Its all a game

processed paper work..

regards worgeordie

I have friends who process their Immigration matter in Pattaya ,Phuket and Hua Hin where there are an abundance of expats none of them go through what CM inflict on us.

Almost like there is some sort of agenda, or total incompetance, or both.

When some members of the media are warned about any negative comments about CM Immigration might cause them trouble one has to wonder

For 13 years, I have always done my O-A retirement visa extension independently.

Living outside CNX, this year, I am almost persuaded to employ the adjacent visa service company to hold my hand.

1/2hr v 1 or 2 days!

It is a shame that the CNX I/O service has had to decline by such a degree.

What is the hidden agenda?

Please, let's not let this thread wander off into all the usual stuff about agents and how it's better elsewhere.....etc. There are several other threads running that are more appropriate for those posts and it might be helpful for anyone else seeking the same information as I'm looking for to not have to wade through 8 or 9 pages!

I really need to have my new extension tomorrow so all the alternatives are out. I don't mind doing an early morning once a year if necessary and really just wanted to get a feel for the time I should turn up at Promenada without either standing there on my own in the cold for a couple of hours or missing the boat and being handed ticket number 998.

I do have a question: Do you get a number and then have to get a queue ticket later (as was the case at the airport) or do they hand out the numbers in some way that gives you an idea of the wait time so you can go off and do something useful?

Edited by Greenside

First of all, you won't be in the cold.

Secondly, there are no pre-queue tickets. Just people in a row, maybe, if it isn't raining. It's "honor system" The Immigration officers don't emerge from the dark until 8:30 am and pass out 15 or 20 retirement queue cards for the day, so it's up to you and the other early arrivals to negotiate among yourselves who was first, second, third.

If you arrive at 5 am, you should be OK for the day, but maybe not in the morning.

You said something at 4 -- do you mean 4 pm? That may be a problem.

Last week, they were telling people who were seen in the morning to return at 1:30 pm to pick up their passports. Earlier they were telling people to return at 4 pm, but actually passports weren't returned until later. It seems sometimes passports are run over to the old office for approval, other times someone comes from the old office for approval. In any event, no one at Prom. has approval authority.

They don't seem willing to keep passports for next-day pickup. Don't know about having someone besides an agent or spouse picking up a passport for you.

Greenside, your comment about wanting your extension ready by 4.00 really is puzzling. Do you mean 4 pm or 14.00? If it's something very critical, like you have to leave, but maybe you don't need your passport by then, I'd suggest you visit the visa agent next door to Immigration and pay their 2000 baht fee. Don't worry, they open up bright and early. Well, maybe not at 5 am, but if you get in to see them by 7 am, they'll get you interviewed by lunchtime. I don't know if they'll have your passport returned that soon though. I doubt it.

Edited by NancyL

I did my marriage extension last week at the airport office. 05:30 arrival i counted 30 people ahead of me and some were agents. Sat down with the IO at about 09:45. All my copies were in order and we were walking out at 10:20 with a 30 day extension. The year stamp should be ready in 1 month and the IO said turn up in the afternoon no number needed, no arriving before the crack of dawn. Only real difference with the Prom experience is you dont have to wait until late afternoon for some boss to sign stuff off.

They don't seem willing to keep passports for next-day pickup. Don't know about having someone besides an agent or spouse picking up a passport for you.

If you don't wait round all day, are they going to chuck it in the bin, cancel your extension, or hand it to you next day? People have other things to do....

processed paper work..

regards worgeordie

It appears to be only in CM.

Firstly they,trust me, don't like that course of action , secondly TIT all might change in a few months and you are back to square one.

Its all a game

You left out two words cruel and ugly.

That's what I did.

You might be right but i've been on marriage extensions for six years and nobody there has ever tried to encourage me to swap to a retirement visa....never a word.

Same with me. Just had the Marriage Extension approved and stamped yesterday. Put in the forms a week or so ago at the Old Office, wife got a Text Message for us to come and get the PP stamped. About an hour of sitting around without Airconditioning...maybe they are saving money?

On the subject of MONEY... with the "Marriage Extension" you only have to have Baht 400K in the Bank but "Retirement" requires double that doesn't it?