Bangkok blast probe hindered by broken security cameras

webfact

However, Prayuth ruled out working with U.S. investigators, insisting Thais can do the job.

This is a bizarre statement.
Terrorism is an international problem.
The cooperation and information sharing of all countries is needed to protect the populations as effectively as possible.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, Prayuth ruled out working with U.S. investigators, insisting Thais can do the job.

The cooperation and information sharing of all countries is needed to protect the populations as effectively as possible.

Like I said, might not be the "population" that is being protected ….

Had that thought myself. If a US citizen was one of the deceased and they were told to back off, it would have sudden implications.

Regardless of the nationalities of the deceased, the fact remains that the same attitude persists when dealing with those not native to Thailand.

"We're sorry for your loss but we'll get the story straight soon and let you know through various uncoordinated channels. You have to *understand* we don't believe your way works better....and we're once again not willing to try and find out if it could....also we're tired"

Isn't it better to ask others for help...and learn from them....and do it better next time? Rather than bumbling around the dark without a clue. There's nothing to lose now...face has already been lost.

Here is a man who obviously had a western education where it is ok to make mistakes, that is how we learn is it not?

Now, imagine a world where if you make a mistake it is the cultural norm not only to pretend it never happened, but it is considered extremely bad form for anyone else to point out the error, as this would make the person feel bad. Kreng jai, saving face, whatever you want to call it.

I believe that this is the root cause of many of Thailand's issues.

DavisH, you are absolutely right, how can anything improve if you are unable to acknowledge the fact that it could be improved?

"However, Prayuth ruled out working with U.S. investigators, insisting Thais can do the job." - ummmm...clearly they can't.

I don't know mate...

I think they can do the job....

Of covering it all up, making up bulls**t stories and brushing it all under the carpet...

The more this goes on, the more I think that this was a job done by the military government on their own people in an effort to make sure they can keep hold of power and scare the population into obedience...

Why else would they refuse the help of the US?

The only reason is because the US would do a damn sight better job and uncover all the things the Thais have tried to cover up...

Whatever happened to this project?

Bangkok on track for a million eyes, The Nation 2013-09-05

Bangkok's "Miracle Eyes" scheme to install one million closed-circuit-television (CCTV) cameras in three years is on track after Kasikorn Bank announced 60,000 CCTV cameras and high-quality software for its Bangkok branches this year.

Police will officially launch the the installation of 100,000 cameras in the first year. A target of 300,0000 more has been set for scheme on November 5 and forecast the second year, then another 600,000 cameras for the third year.

Did the anti-government protests, shutdown of the government and military coup delay this vital project?

"Have you seen CSI?" Somyot asked reporters. "We don't have those things."

facepalm.gif

-----------------------------------

CSI is a television show and much of their supposed technology either doesn't exist or is to expensive for anyone to actually have in use.

There are a lot of things you see on television that are only "special effects".

Of course, no mention of WHY they were all broken, no mention of WHO is responsible for keeping them in working order, and, the most important, no mention of WHEN they will be fixed. Probably the answer is NEVER because MAINTENANCE is not a concept Thais are familiar with. And, if you need modern forensic equipment (and you do!) go out and buy some! And, train the force to use it. Stop with the lame excuses and do your job!

Mr Amorn said the BMA had plan to install 50,000 real surveillance cameras by end of the year.

So far 47,000 cameras were installed. Of all the cameras installed on Bangkok streets to safeguard the people, 40,000 of them are functional and the remainder 7,000 will be connected to the power system and are functional by end of the year.

The connection costs the BMA 300 million baht but would enable the people to get access to the free service more conveniently by end of the year.

He said the surveillance camera project is the policy of Bangkok governor M.R. Sukhumband Paribatra to ensure safety for people living in Bangkok, adding that it could help the police in tracking criminals, and to curb attempt to commit crimes.

Source: http://englishnews.t...ameras-capital/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-02

- what is wrong with this picture?
I think Mr Amorn and M.R. Sukhumband Paribatra might have some explaining to do

I researched this for my recent novel, “Presumed Guilty.” The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. It’s generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they don’t have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they don’t have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

How do other countries run their cctv successfully?

On documentaries shown on TV even years ago and police in control rooms directed units on the ground running and in cars to identify suspects and arrest them in real time via ear pieces and telecommunications.. (such wizardry..

I know)

And this was for such a serious charge as drunken anti social behaviour in the uk

If they could be so technically advanced way back then I don't see why Thailand couldn't have such a system

Even back pre year 2000 shops were equipped with plain clothes store detectives who worked with cctv to apprehend shoplifters

Back then they didn't have super speed gigabit Internet connections.... And yet they managed to get the job done.. Like some miracle on Csi :)

"Have you seen CSI?" Somyot asked reporters. "We don't have those things."

At least they have Breaking Bad.

Apart from this, i'm sure they bought the cheapest of the cheapest low quality cctv crap from China for a highly overvalued price.

Edited by alocacoc

I researched this for my recent novel, “Presumed Guilty.” The main obstacle in surveillance systems is bandwidth. Surveillance cameras, particularly HD models, generate massive volumes of digital data, which has to be transmitted to a computer system and stored. It’s generally necessary to build a separate network dedicated to the cameras, as they will overload a data network. Police departments are facing a similar challenge with body-cams.

I strongly suspect the problem is not that they don’t have functioning cameras or that they fail to maintain them, not that they require much maintenance unless they are vandalized, but that they don’t have the data network to capture the footage the cameras would generate. So, they rely on the cameras as a psychological deterrent. But such deterrents may not be effective with radical jihadists, separatists or anarchists.

Unless they are on a transport system like a railway, CCTV cameras do not normally share data networks, all the modern street view systems have dedicated networks running over fibre optic cables and with modern storage systems the amount of data obtained is not a problem. The real problem is the amount of manpower needed to view the images from so many cameras. London for instance has a whole army of people viewing the many, many thousands of cameras installed there. A long time ago a US Army guy called John Johnson (hence my previous post) calculated the number of TV frames necessary to recognise what was being viewed and decide if it was friend or foe. So it took relatively few frames to recognise say a tank, lot more before you could recognise a uniform and more before you could recognise a face. Each TV frame taking a finite amount of time to view. Modern digital cameras and face recogniton software have made the "Johnson Criteria - if you want to Google it) obsolete, but the principals remain the same. Although modern software reconises not only faces but body images and analyses movement patterns - like how you walk, how you hold your head, etc and will all contribute to identifying more criminals and terrorists in the future (in fact 1984 is already upon-us) although regrettably (in this case) Thailand is lagging well behind. But it remains a fundamental of optics that cheap lenses give lousy results that any amount of software cannot improve to clearly recognise faces.